Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Fashola Is The Best Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Is The Best Governor (2732 Views)

Imoke Wins Best Governor Award / Fashola, Mimiko, Oshiomole Or Okorocha: Who Is The Best Governor? / From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Is The Best Governor by gbolah1(m): 5:29pm On May 28, 2008
Base on the development have seen in Lagos for the past 365 days. i believe is the most the best out of the 35 governor we have in this country presently. I watch is administration for the past one year.

Please who ever that has deference felling should post it.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by AkedeOba(m): 8:35pm On May 28, 2008
It is a lie . See www.rateoga.com
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Nobody: 11:47pm On May 28, 2008
@qbola h, you are a yoruba arent you? knew it, you guys sing praises to the deepest hell if you get a penny.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Arnold1(m): 6:19am On May 29, 2008
Well, the guy is really trying.

Road Rehabilitated by Fashola
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by davidif: 6:36am On May 29, 2008
He might be trying but he still has a long way to go. What he should do is to depopulate the urban areas and he should do it by installing property taxes to deter people from settling in the city. For example, a $17000 minimum tax on all residents plus any additional percentage depending on your economic class (e.g 17,000 + 28% of income of tax per acre of land you own)would make people flee the city and resettle in the rural areas and the revenue would be used to transform the city to Dubai or Berne and make LASU and LAUTECH the next MIT, or Caltech.

He also need to develop the rural areas and the best way to do that is to invest in agriculture and tax the farmers to use the money to develop the rural areas by creating free education and free healthcare (people in the 21st century should not be dying of typhoid or malaria), then he should create a sophisticated transportation system. He should lead a state led industrialization drive in the rural areas by creating food processing plants and other light industries like textile factories in the rural areas, this would create jobs so that that all those guys who have gone to the city to look for work and ended up becoming agberos and ashewos to make ends meet would now come back home.

Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Xiomarra: 7:10am On May 29, 2008
I was somewhat impressed with the attempt to "clean" up Lagos city by Fashola when I visited lagos last week. Upon deeper reflection, it occurred to me that the efforts were like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Still no adequate drainage systems. Some roads are still death traps.

It would have been better to start the developement on virgin soil with adequate planning and development. Instead of trying to beautify the "pig sty"!

Transportation still remains a nightmare. The new buses are no better than the old molues. And those "indian" carriages. . keke marwas without windows are just a tad better than "Okadas"!

Still very depressing I say. I had more fun in the village! kiss

Over all I give Fashola and "E" grade for "Effort"!
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Xiomarra: 7:15am On May 29, 2008
Arnold1:

Well, the guy is really trying.

Road Rehabilitated by Fashola

How do you rehabilitate roads without drainage systems for crying out loud?  In a country where you have 6 months of "rainy season"? undecided  Please if we want to do something, it is worth doing well. Not with half measures and superficial cosmetic appeal.

Yes it looks good now.  Check it out in one month.  Maintenance culture=zero! How safe is it to build and rebuild these roads near the Lagoon without drainage systems? Do Nigerians think at all?

When I passed some areas of Lagos, you could see some huge avalanche of rocks and boulders against the shores of the Lagoon to counter erosion. Anytime it rains, serious flooding of the streets occur.

What kind of road re-building is that?
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by davidif: 7:19am On May 29, 2008
This is how a city should be.

Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by davidif: 7:20am On May 29, 2008
, and this is how roads should be.

Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Arnold1(m): 7:51am On May 29, 2008
True talk Xiomarra.

The guy has on-going drainage projects in place, plus, you know there is only so much he can
do in 12 months. But you are right, a lot more needs to be done. Considering the degree of rot in lagos,
I think he has tried for 12 months in office.

@davidf

Within those cities in your pictures, you'll still find ghettos. Besides, Fashola can't turn lagos into
that in 1 year. The guy is trying I beg.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by ayomifull(f): 9:11am On May 29, 2008
And I hope he is seriously working on this:

39 bridges may collapse in Lagos - Experts
Kunle Awosiyan, Lagos - 26.05.2008

IF the report of some experts from Denmark is anything to go by on the state of bridges in Lagos State, then, there is cause to worry over the safety of residents of the state.

The report of the experts, who recently assessed the state of bridges in Lagos State, showed that 39 bridges were in a terrible state of disrepair.

The state Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure Development, Prince Adesegun Oniru, who revealed some of the findings to the Nigerian Tribune in his office at the weekend, said that the bridges needed urgent attention.

According to him, “the findings show that the platforms of some of the bridges are getting weak, the supporting iron barricades have been damaged or removed and the chipping of the columns (pillars) are making the bridges weaker everyday.”

He said that the state government had invited some foreign experts to assess the state of the bridges when it was reported that the Third Mainland Bridge was shaking, but was disturbed with the report of the assessment, which he said was scary.

“Even the experts themselves were so scared of their findings that they recommended urgent measures which are already receiving government’s attention. The 10 experts who came all the way from Denmark had to extend their stay in the state from the initial 10 days to three months because of this frightening development,” he said.

He explained that the experts who had since returned to their country submitted a report which was not too pleasant to the government, adding, “I must admit that the report is not too pleasant. According to them, virtually all the 39 bridges they assessed are in a terrible shape and they were scared of what they found.”

Though Oniru declined to mention the affected bridges assessed by the Danish consultants, he, however, assured the people that the bridges were still within their 50 years lifespan and were not under any serious threat of collapse.

According to him, the consultants also recommended the replacement of the bridge infrastructure to bring back their lost aesthetics.

He added that the rehabilitation of the bridges might form part of the Lagos mega city model which, according to him, the government of Governor Babatunde Fashola, was committed to.

Oniru also spoke about the plan of the government to develop the state tourist centres, adding that N2 billion had been spent so far to sand-fill the new Maiyegun beach.

He said: “In order to make the place a world class tourist beach, government rose up to the challenge by sand-filling it. This will make us to harness the tourism potential of the beach and make it befitting for the populace.”
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by davidif: 6:18pm On May 30, 2008
Mr Arnold1
Yes there are ghettos everywhere, the question is the size and how prevalent it is? AJ city and Mushin are some of the largest slums in the world, right up there with the Kibera slums of Kenya and the slums of Calcutta, India and don't even try to compare Harlem or Brooklyn slums to Lagos slums, they are waaaaaaaaaaaay much better and sanitary.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Kobojunkie: 7:36pm On May 30, 2008
davidif:

Mr Arnold1
Yes there are ghettos everywhere, the question is the size and how prevalent it is? AJ city and Mushin are some of the largest slums in the world, right up there with the Kibera slums of Kenya and the slums of Calcutta, India and don't even try to compare Harlem or Brooklyn slums to Lagos slums, they are waaaaaaaaaaaay much better and sanitary.

LMAO!!!
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Nobody: 4:01am On May 31, 2008
I hope his efforts are not just concentrated in V/I. Can we see pictures of mushin, oshodi etc.?
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by doyin13(m): 5:25am On May 31, 2008
I am quite wary of this Fashola Bandwagon winning converts left right and centre.

I hope he is not spending a large proportion of the budget on a public relations machine.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Rlst84sale(m): 5:41am On May 31, 2008
@Davidif

Point of correction, it is not the job of the government to dirctly do those projects you mentioned except in a social democratic country like germany which is now gradually changing. They  are mostly done by private sectors the only thing the goverment should do is provide security, law and orders and importantly make legislations that will facilitate the execution of such projects.

On the issue of taxation, it is a wrong step for any government to tax people so highly because it does nothing but discourages investments without which you wont have a solid economy, less job created, increase unemployment etc. You should also be very careful of certain viscal policies that can encourage people to depend on the government for everything that is what happened in UK and now their empire is crumbling.  From what people are saying the guy is putting up good efforts it is just that water plenty pass gari which is alright let him keep doing what he is doing if everyone joins suit including  private citizens we shall all get there with time.

By the way, which city do u have in those pictures? because I didn't see molue or okada.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Arnold1(m): 6:52am On May 31, 2008
Rlst84sale:

@Davidif

From what people are saying the guy is putting up good efforts it is just that water plenty pass gari which is alright let him keep doing what he is doing if everyone joins suit including private citizens we shall all get there with time.

Thanks jare Rlst84sale. Only person without sense no go see say water pass garri when it comes to bridging lagos' infrastructural gap. The man can't
completely transform the place in one year, but he is trying.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Jakumo(m): 8:47am On May 31, 2008
While Governors Fashola's clean-up and greening of Lagos traffic medians may have limited tangiable impact on the larger issues facing Lagos such as high crime, unplanned construction, non-existent sewage or waste disposal infrastructure and tattered street surfaces, NO previous Lagos governor has EVER spent as much time and money as Governor Fashola has done in cleaning up the eyesore that is Nigeria's commercial capital, and for this he deserves recognition as a mold-breaking pioneer for lasting good.

It is also worthy of note that in a country such as Nigeria where academic credentials are often purchased rather than earned, Governor Fashola's understated intellect and prodigious command of the English language are adequate clues to identify a formidable scholar who earned his legal and political laurels by virtue of quiet academic and professional over-achievement.

With that rare combination of academic brilliance, environmental awareness and political, legal and constitutional savvy, coupled with a demonstrated genuine desire to improve Nigeria, Governor Fashola is DEFINITELY presidential material, and would be one to watch as history unfolds in Africa.

[size=18pt]FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT 2011[/size]
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by VUB(f): 9:18am On May 31, 2008
3- Storey Building Collapses
May 28, 2008 16:16, 411 views

http://thepmnews.com/2008/05/28/3-storey-building-collapses#comments

Sorrow, Tears And Blood As Another Building Collapses
http://thepmnews.com/2008/05/27/sorrow-tears-and-blood-as-another-building-collapses

2 buildings collapse in 2 days. For waht is Fashola the best governor?
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Jakumo(m): 9:33am On May 31, 2008
Sub-par, code-violating building contractors are criminals who exist and are prosecuted when caught.  Blaming the state governor for ever crime committed in his jurisdiction is about as meaningful an exercise as blaming him for spells of adverse weather during his tenure.

Mayor Bloomberg of New York was not blamed when a crane fell on an apartment building in Manhattan just yesterday, killing two construction workers.   The building contractor was arrested for that collapse,  and there is no reason why Lagos should adopt any different a stance in the apportioning of blame for such incidents that can be traced to procedural negligence.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Arnold1(m): 9:54am On May 31, 2008
Kudos to you Jakumo for speaking the truth. The guy is trying, but there is so much one can do in
1 year especially for a place like lagos.

Jakumo:

While Governors Fashola's clean-up and greening of Lagos traffic medians may have limited tangiable impact on the larger issues facing Lagos such as high crime,

He is even addressing high crime. He set up a security committee and realized that there just aren't enough police
personnel manning lagos. He has appealed repeatedly to the IG of police and Yar'Adua to increase the number
of police personnel in lagos to 40,000, but they fail to listen.

Lagos with a population of around 15 million has less than 10,000 cops. Fashola has always argued that this is not
sustainable.

Fashola has also been saying that he favors state police. This would give him the ability to recruit as many cops as
possible without always relying on the federal government.

Let me also add that he has also helped equip the police in the state with communication gadgets and vehicles
to help in the fight against battling crime.

Jakumo:

non-existent sewage or waste disposal infrastructure

There are massive sewage projects being undertaken. He stated
this in his 1 year anniversary speech. But due to funds and short time, he has not been able
to spread the sewage projects all over the state. He is doing his best with the limited
amount of resources at his disposal.

Jakumo:

NO previous Lagos governor has EVER spent as much time and money as Governor Fashola has done in cleaning up the eyesore that is Nigeria's commercial capital, and for this he deserves recognition as a mold-breaking pioneer for lasting good.

You are absolutely right ! Infact, the BRT service now in Ikorodu road is so successful that, 130,000 lagosians use it daily. The only complaint
people have is that it has not been implemented in other parts of lagos. I am sure he is working on that.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by jaso1(m): 10:23am On May 31, 2008
GUYS,
If we are to be sincere and face reality the guys is giving the best service for Lagos state which qualify him the best among governors. kudos to FASH, Eko onibaje. For criticiser that never know how to appreciate, rehabilitation centers are there to accommodates you all ,we are getting there just relax Lagos we spend money to enhance you and deport you back to your state where you will then have a right of criticising your governor OK. FASH second time is automatic no doubt about it.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by fyneguy: 1:07pm On May 31, 2008
If there's anything Fashola has changed, it's my doubt in having a good government in Nigeria.

I boldly can say the problem of Nigeria is BAD LEADERSHIP. Nigeria is not as difficult to rule as we are being made to believe. Let's have a leader with clear visions, sincerity of purpose, full grasp of the situation, and the interest of the people at heart, Nigeria will be great.

Fashola, if you are reading this, I bless the day you were born and the womb that bore the travails. Your children and the generation yet unborn, will prosper in life.

Keep up the good work, your name shall be written in gold.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by davidif: 10:09pm On May 31, 2008
Point of correction, it is not the job of the government to dirctly do those projects you mentioned except in a social democratic country like germany which is now gradually changing. They  are mostly done by private sectors the only thing the goverment should do is provide security, law and orders and importantly make legislations that will facilitate the execution of such projects.

My good friend, this is exactly how the Asian countries developed so quickly, they didn't wait for 300 years like the US did to develop, the govts led a massive state industrialization drive that's why there countries now are very developed even though some of them got there independence after us.

On the issue of taxation, it is a wrong step for any government to tax people so highly because it does nothing but discourages investments without which you wont have a solid economy, less job created, increase unemployment etc. You should also be very careful of certain viscal policies that can encourage people to depend on the government for everything that is what happened in UK and now their empire is crumbling.

You have a point but i am not talking about the general taxation of Nigerians just the taxing of the population of Lagos so as to depopulate the city and the transform it to a well planned and developed city (El-Rufai comes to mind). As you know already, money does not grow on trees and the state does not have enough funds for a railway project which the city desperately needs because of the high occurences of traffic jams in the city. Also, the city badly (AND I MEAN REALLY BADLY) needs a sophisticated sewage system and the best way to raise this funds is through taxes. How do you think a city like New York runs so successfully, its  because the govt over there levies huge taxes to maintain the city, that's why its the centre of the world and that's why people come from all over the world to come see New York and not New Orleans. This high taxes might chase some people away which is fine but with the money it could use it to develop its educational system and its healthcare system so that you don't have armed robbers, agberos, ashewos, truck pushers, pure water sellers or worst of all you don't see blind crippled victims of polio, cataracts or other third world diseases. The city's people would be very sophisticated and educated and they would be opening Venture Capitalist firms, Private Equity firms and Hedge funds instead of opening pure water kiosks, or "mama put" stands.

By the way, which city do u have in those pictures? because I didn't see molue or okada.
The first one was Berne, Switzerland, the last two were New York.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by davidif: 10:20pm On May 31, 2008
@mr jakumo
It is also worthy of note that in a country such as Nigeria where academic credentials are often purchased rather than earned, Governor Fashola's understated intellect and prodigious command of the English language are adequate clues to identify a formidable scholar who earned his legal and political laurels by virtue of quiet academic and professional over-achievement.

With that rare combination of academic brilliance, environmental awareness and political, legal and constitutional savvy, coupled with a demonstrated genuine desire to improve Nigeria, Governor Fashola is DEFINITELY presidential material, and would be one to watch as history unfolds in Africa.

When will my fellow Nigerians learn that there is nothing special in learning how to speak English in fact, you don't have to be educated to run a country, all you need is to be able to make good sound decisions, to be honest and to represent and serve the people who elected you. Harry Truman of the US never went to college, neither did several other US presidents. Deng Xiaoping of the people's republic of China could not speak a word of English and was able to transform his country and he wasn't that articulate. Margret Thatcher on the other hand, for all her English was a pathetic leader, even Gordon Brown is about to be voted out of office.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by dangermous: 10:39pm On May 31, 2008
davidif:

@mr jakumo
When will my fellow Nigerians learn that there is nothing special in learning how to speak English in fact, you don't have to be educated to run a country, all you need is to be able to make good sound decisions, to be honest and to represent and serve the people who elected you. Harry Truman of the US never went to college, neither did several other US presidents. Deng Xiaoping of the people's republic of China could not speak a word of English and was able to transform his country and he wasn't that articulate. Margret Thatcher on the other hand, for all her English was a pathetic leader, even Gordon Brown is about to be voted out of office.

See this one. you dey masturbate yaself, dey think say you talk something reasonable.

Why Deng Xisaoping go wan learn English to run im country. No be mandarin dem dey speak for there.

One thing dey for sure, you no go lead any thing anytime soon.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by Arnold1(m): 10:41pm On May 31, 2008
dangermous:

See this one. you dey masturbate yaself, dey think say you talk something reasonable.

Why Deng Xisaoping go wan learn English to run im country. No be mandarin them dey speak for there.

One thing dey for sure, you no go lead any thing anytime soon.

LMBBO ! grin
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by davidif: 12:29am On Jun 01, 2008
hey hey mr dangermous, i don't remember ever discussing with you, i remember having an intelligent discussion with another adult not a young, immature kid, so go play somewhere else.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by tosinadeda: 1:19am On Jun 01, 2008
u know its amazing and funny!!!!
we av suffered so much that we now see any provision of any basic infrastructure which is our rights as citizens
as something special!!!!!!

thats how bad nigeria has gotten.
its always the same thing during elections, i will give u roads , water , light , schools, hospitals, jobs and so on
only for them to come back again to repeat it!!!
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by eleda(m): 1:24am On Jun 01, 2008
No NO No and Never he can never be !
he will also be a victim to emblezzed money soonest
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by deor03(m): 6:03am On Jun 01, 2008
tosinadeda:

u know its amazing and funny!!!!
we av suffered so much that we now see any provision of any basic infrastructure which is our rights as citizens
as something special!!!!!!

thats how bad nigeria has gotten.
its always the same thing during elections, i will give u roads , water , light , schools, hospitals, jobs and so on
only for them to come back again to repeat it!!!

my brother those things are special in naija. no doubt. i will thank anybody that provides road,electricity,water for me.

Cos for every govenor that provides these ( my rights) there are 35 others who won't and there's nothing i can do.
Re: Fashola Is The Best Governor by TOH(f): 6:20am On Jun 01, 2008
Oni is the best governor grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Glo's Text For Millions Promo / Chief Justice Of Edo State Died On Top Of A Woman / Ndiigbo & Biafrans: Time To Properly Honour Our Dead Heroes In Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.