Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? (870 Views)

PDP Raises Rallying Cry - Says PMB Not Equipped To Lead In A Democracy / Abia -God's Own State (The hidden gem of the east) / Welcome To Abia State: God's Own State (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? by YoshiMaster: 3:17am On Jul 31, 2013
Close your eyes, and imagine...

An Igbo/Yoruba person becoming a governor in the North(almost impossible right?), or the other way around.

Must the next governor of Lagos be a Yoruba man?

Must the next governor of Anambra be an Igbo man?

I remember when Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected governor of California State, and now Obama, a black man, is the President of the U.S.A. So it is quite evident that the U.S.A is practicing a true democracy, obviously not without faults.

So if we truly are practicing a democracy here, and we all answer first as Nigerians, before Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, then why is it almost unthinkable for a minority tribe to hold the governorship within their residing states.

I pose this question to Nairalanders, and Nigerians at large. Do we have a true Democracy? Or do we just have a mosaic of tribes, so to speak, putting up a united façade, when actually divided in reality?
Re: If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? by trillville(m): 5:20am On Jul 31, 2013
Nigeria is a "state" yet not a nation.
The system of government Nigeria operates today is only held together by oil.
The biggest mistake the Gowon made was state creation because nothing has divided nigerians more as a people than state creation. A Yoruba man from ekiti can not even be governor in ondo talk less of an Igbo man.

What makes the situation in forming nationhood even worse, is the fact that if Nigeria decides to readopt resource control as it were in the past, the country will most definitely have a second civil war.

I wish there were an example in history of a country in a similar situation to ours so that we may replicate their success, but it seems like we are in a completely unique situation, so we have no idea what unintended consequences may occur from any action we may take.

May God Almighty help this country.

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? by MightySparrow: 7:43am On Jul 31, 2013
Good thinking, I do'!t think Nigeria will ever get to that. SW may in the nearest future in Ibadan for instance you could become the king with a long stay there. Lateef Islanded former governor of Lagos is said to hail from Kwara. The immediate past LG chairman in my LGA hailed from a neighbouring state. He contested on was judged by competence, contributions, and character and was voted in. In the north where I live I do not see such happening in the forseeable future. Eastern Nigeria? I sincerely do not know much about them except in the market.
Re: If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? by pandriod: 8:06am On Jul 31, 2013
Mighty Sparrow: Good thinking, I do'!t think Nigeria will ever get to that. SW may in the nearest future in Ibadan for instance you could become the king with a long stay there. Lateef Islanded former governor of Lagos is said to hail from Kwara. The immediate past LG chairman in my LGA hailed from a neighbouring state. He contested on was judged by competence, contributions, and character and was voted in. In the north where I live I do not see such happening in the forseeable future. Eastern Nigeria? I sincerely do not know much about them except in the market.

Eastern Nigeria? Don't even talk about them. A woman is forbidden from inheritance of landed properties in the east talk more of a visitor? They'll never even allow you blend in their community.
Re: If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 31, 2013
Lol. My brother, don't make me laugh. You're dreaming of running when you have not even began to crawl yet. For instance, Igbo people that have spent all their lives in a former capital and major commercial hub such as Lagos are still taunted to "go back to your village" by Yoruba characters that are not even indigenes of Lagos State. Indeed, Igbo traders are not even allowed to choose their own market leader in their own markets in Lagos, instead,.they are rudely told to accept the Yoruba market leader imposed on them, or "go back to your village". Yet, you're talking about governorship.

If we have not matured enough as a democracy to accept the fact that, as a federation, Nigerians have full legal rights to reside and do business in ANY part of Nigeria that they deem fit, if certain Nigerians are still regarded as foreigners in other parts kf their own country, then I must say we have a long way to go.

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? by emmatony: 8:55am On Jul 31, 2013
i will also ask you. if the world is a democracy why must a president be selected from his own country?

1 Like

Re: If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 31, 2013
emmatony: i will also ask you. if the world is a democracy why must a president be selected from his own country?

Isn't it rather too early in the morning to be high on weed?
Re: If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? by YoshiMaster: 2:19pm On Jul 31, 2013
emmatony: i will also ask you. if the world is a democracy why must a president be selected from his own country?

Hahahaha!
Re: If Nigeria Is A Democracy, Why Must A Governor Be Selected From His Own State? by YoshiMaster: 9:37pm On Jul 31, 2013
pro01: Lol. My brother, don't make me laugh. You're dreaming of running when you have not even began to crawl yet. For instance, Igbo people that have spent all their lives in a former capital and major commercial hub such as Lagos are still taunted to "go back to your village" by Yoruba characters that are not even indigenes of Lagos State. Indeed, Igbo traders are not even allowed to choose their own market leader in their own markets in Lagos, instead,.they are rudely told to accept the Yoruba market leader imposed on them, or "go back to your village". Yet, you're talking about governorship.

If we have not matured enough as a democracy to accept the fact that, as a federation, Nigerians have full legal rights to reside and do business in ANY part of Nigeria that they deem fit, if certain Nigerians are still regarded as foreigners in other parts kf their own country, then I must say we have a long way to go.

So why do we all pretend that we are one Nigeria?

@bolded, if that is true, then it is really sad.

(1) (Reply)

Sack NPC Boss, Kwankwaso Tells Jonathan / Prediction 2013 Being Fulfilled......amazing / Which States Have Developed Since 1999

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.