Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,211 members, 7,836,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! (860 Views)

Tips On How To Buy Fuel Without Queuing In This Dry Seson / People Queuing With Their Generators At NNPC Station, Ojota, Lagos / INEC Approved The Routine Re-deployment Of Some Its Recs (Snapshot) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 9:59pm On Sep 06, 2013
The word 'queue' kept ringing a bell in my head as I stood in a single yet long line to complete my penultimate NYSC clearance. Though it was usual, but I couldn't fathom why it's always had to be like this, I mean, couldn't we adopt other methods apart from queuing?

Throughout my entire life here in Nigeria, I couldn't remember a time I needed to obtain a form or return one, or register for something that I didn't join a queue. I remembered how I used to queue to fetch water from a public tap; buy fuel, transact in a bank either via ATM or the counter, pay NEPA bill, offer offering (except some churches have upgraded now) in the church. In fact, the only time I can't remember queuing up was when my mum was in labor at my birth, and it's only because I was still a fetus!

The one that baffled me most was the routine in our schools system. After queuing to register for WAEC, I queued for the exams. Same to check the result at a Cafe. Same to obtain JAMB form ( at this time internet use wasn't prevalent) at a bank. Same for the exams, same to check the result. But that was just the beginning as I went through same to write University Aptitude Test.

Very funny as I thought of it, because the queuing only got more serious in the University; especially when a semester began. With registration to be done everywhere, students would have to make it early to beat it to the front of the queue. Matters got even worse if the queue gets too long that names will be taken to continue the next day.

Getting used to it wasn't so hard as a day hardly went by without having to queue at least once; either at the cafeteria, lecture, or at the school small-gate where we'd have to squeeze ourselves to get through!

In a blink I was in my finals and the orthodox way of dealing with crowds was still in trend. I queued for my seminar and project defense, did same for my final year clearance, same for NYSC mobilization, same to check the posting list for my camp destination, same to get call-up letter and the rest was history.

For those of us who have served the federation via NYSC, you would agree that the NYSC Orientation Camp is a place where nothing is done without queue; you enter the camp by queue and you leave by queue. At camp we learned a lot from the queuing system. Words like; 'overtaking is allowed', 'guy, I dey ur front', 'babe I dey ur back', 'sharp guy', etc, were common and it was fun.

I wish I had enough patience and time to write about the queuing experience at camp, but unfortunately not. So am going to fast-forward to what motivated this thread...

...Having highlighted some of my experiences so far, I would want to ask; WHY IS IT THAT NIGERIA IS STILL BACKWARD IN SO MANY THINGS? Please don't get me wrong here, am asking a very constructive question. Am not saying that other countries don't queue to deal with a crowd problem. But I think they do so as the last resort. Crowd control and orderliness highlights how well a people are civilized, we can see that in advanced countries where people don't queue in schools or work places for almost anything. They understand that what is theirs will always be theirs, and that they can always get it without having to cause unnecessary traffic. The cause is not just the people, but the government controlling the system set the platform for ease of activities.

This is not the case in Nigeria. You see, the provision of infrastructure; amenities, jobs, good schools, dependable health system, and good leadership might be possible in Nigeria, but until we as a people are ready to embrace civilization and decorum.

In your critical opinions, how can we tackle this?
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Nobody: 4:15am On Sep 07, 2013
Nigeria is not the only country that uses queue as a firm of crowd management. Our major problem in my opinion is overpopulation
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 9:47am On Sep 07, 2013
Well, if over population is a problem...how do we tackle it?
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by dominique(f): 1:15pm On Sep 07, 2013
Remzolution: Well, if over population is a problem...how do we tackle it?

How about a genocide to wipe out a large percentage of the population? Do you prefer a rowdy situation where everybody will be pushing and shoving? Queues are annoying but they're orderly most times.
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 2:49pm On Sep 07, 2013
dominique:

How about a genocide to wipe out a large percentage of the population? Do you prefer a rowdy situation where everybody will be pushing and shoving? Queues are annoying but they're orderly most times.

You got a point, yes, agreed...but overpopulation may mean improvement in mortality and you don't just go there. Let me ask, are we more populated than America? Well, but they have structures in ground that help serve the people without them having to queue right?

Take their banks for instance, they have enough branches to reduce the number of people that would have all gone to one branch, hence solving the problem. In their schools, things are done by schedules and time table. They have enough lecture halls to accommodate the number they have, and they have a targeted number of students to admit.

Our government and we the people need to come to this level sooner!
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by jideroland(m): 5:52pm On Sep 07, 2013
You do realise that while USA are only about 2 times more populous than us. they have 10 times our land size
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 6:56pm On Sep 07, 2013
jideroland: You do realise that while USA are only about 2 times more populous than us. they have 10 times our land size

Truth, but have u you also checked that it isn't just about the land mass? If you like double Nigeria's land mass, the queuing problem will not go away. People will still migrate uncontrollably to where the grass is greener; thereby increasing the risk of queuing. What am saying is, let our government do what they should do to make life easy and lesson the bustling and hustling atmosphere we got here.

Let development be even to reduce unnecessary migration. I mean, why would I want to travel to the next town to queue up for bank transaction when I got a bank here? Why would I want to go and study Law in UniLorin when my state University can offer same...? Think about it!
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by jideroland(m): 11:22pm On Sep 07, 2013
Remzolution:

Truth, but have u you also checked that it isn't just about the land mass? If you like double Nigeria's land mass, the queuing problem will not go away. People will still migrate uncontrollably to where the grass is greener; thereby increasing the risk of queuing. What am saying is, let our government do what they should do to make life easy and lesson the bustling and hustling atmosphere we got here.

Let development be even to reduce unnecessary migration. I mean, why would I want to travel to the next town to queue up for bank transaction when I got a bank here? Why would I want to go and study Law in UniLorin when my state University can offer same...? Think about it!

That is a valid point. I went to my home town during Christmas, and there was only 1 Bank and of course when there ATM was out of service we had to drive to another town which also had only 1 bank and queue with people from 3 towns. I wanted to cry.
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by tpia5: 11:25pm On Sep 07, 2013
honey86: Nigeria is not the only country that uses queue as a firm of crowd management. Our major problem in my opinion is overpopulation

true, in addition to fewer infrastructure for the high numbers.
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by tpia5: 11:26pm On Sep 07, 2013
Remzolution: Well, if over population is a problem...how do we tackle it?

more development across nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by deols(f): 12:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
We don't have to queue all of the time if we would just embrace a non expensive technology. When you get into a public place, there is a machine( dont know what it is called) that gives you a number on a paper.

seats are provided for everyone as they wait. When your no. is called, you get up and do what you have to.
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 1:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
deols: We don't have to queue all of the time if we would just embrace a non expensive technology. When you get into a public place, there is a machine( dont know what it is called) that gives you a number on a paper.

seats are provided for everyone as they wait. When your no. is called, you get up and do what you have to.

Assuming this is what we need, yes! What about an instance where someone comes and gets a number say 10, he leaves the premises only to come back and he's told that his turn is passed...wouldn't he insist on being treated?

Am wholly of the support that development must be upped in this country and it should be even in all stratas...!
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by deols(f): 3:54pm On Sep 08, 2013
Remzolution:

Assuming this is what we need, yes! What about an instance where someone comes and gets a number say 10, he leaves the premises only to come back and he's told that his turn is passed...wouldn't he insist on being treated?

Am wholly of the support that development must be upped in this country and it should be even in all stratas...!

no one has to insist after breaking protocol

he would have to take another number.
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by MayorofLagos(m): 4:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
Remzolution,

I like your analysis and articulation, you have a very solid opening. Questions and probes like this should be championed by news media and pushed to the departments of social sciences in our Universities for case studies.

For the record, I urge our mods to put this on front page. I'm going to submit a suggestion on what to do with good posts like this one.

My response to your subject issue will come shortly.

1 Like

Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by deeozi(m): 4:36pm On Sep 08, 2013
lack of infrastructure, impatient and lack of coordination caused all these and so from primary school we are taught the habit of queing for almost everything.
some families que for food.

1 Like

Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 10:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
deols:

Very welcoming, thanks! Am just afraid that our leaders at the higher office wouldn't give a second thought to what we are talking about here; they would sweep it under the carpet and delude themselves by pretending to be too entangled with more serious matters!
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 10:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
deols:

Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 10:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: Remzolution,

I like your analysis and articulation, you have a very solid opening. Questions and probes like this should be championed by news media and pushed to the departments of social sciences in our Universities for case studies.

For the record, I urge our mods to put this on front page. I'm going to submit a suggestion on what to do with good posts like this one.

I really appreciate the encouragement. Your contribution is welcomed, thanks again!
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: Remzolution,

I really appreciate the encouragement. Your contribution is welcomed, thanks again!!
Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by MayorofLagos(m): 10:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
The bottom line of this problem is "Customer Service".

At the point of exchange or "needs" customer service is a social interface and the experience of the interaction goes a long way to shape our response, consciously or otherwise.

Customer service can be branded as a social value and it can be marketed as a value differentiator between competing brands or offerings.

We should look at customer service from culutral perspective to better understand the negative impacts you enumerated in your opening post. Let's divide customer service into two buckets, we call one "native" and the other "imported".

A.
Native Customer Service will be that which we experience at traditional African "points of sale" or "transaction". Their protocol is very "informal" but expected to be highly ethical. They will include the following:

1. Destination purchase.
Making a trip to a market stall to buy, trade or exchange.

2. Impulsive purchase
Making an improptu stop to buy product from a roaming hawker or a fixed corner stall.

3. Scheduled delivery
A soliciting retailer that makes home delivery/distribution rounds on scheduled days.

B
Imported Customer Service. This is the borrowed Western way of giving service in our communities. They are very "formal" and expected to be highly ethical and include the following:

1. Destination point.
Going to a bureaucracy, bank, institution to obtain social service or register for social service or needs.

2. Intermediary point.
Using a service as a bridge to attain something else. Like bus transportation, buying ticket, using ATM and son on.

3. Ported service.
Using a service brought from elsewhere for delivery into our community. Like water fountain, polling booths and so on.

You will agree that there is nothing under the "native" category that requires queueing to get served. Everything under the "imported" category require queueing to get service.

Why is this?

We will talk more to explore the reasons.

1 Like

Re: The Routine Of Queuing In Nigeria...! by Remzolution: 11:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
Mayor of Lagos, you sound informed and well versed on this subject...am all ears!

(1) (Reply)

Multi-billionaire And Richest African, Aliko Dangote Empowers Women With $61.00 / Ogun Set To Establish Rice Processing Factory In Eggua / Anambra2013 Apc Kwenu! Awka Kwenu!! Anambra Kwesuenu Oh!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.