Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government (545 Views)

LATEST NEWS ; Vote Recount In Rivers State. / Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water / Abuja Blast Victims Recount Ordeal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government by Ikengawo: 4:43am On Aug 01, 2013
Lagos ‘deports’ 67 persons to Onitsha
Our Reporter July 25, 2013

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/fashola-lagos-new.jpg

… It ’s not true –Lagos govt

From EMMANUEL UZOR, Onitsha

The Lagos State Government has allegedly deported no fewer than 67 persons from the city of Lagos to Onitsha in Anambra State. It was gathered that the people who were transported in a truck arrived Onitsha at about 2.30am yesterday accompanied by armed policemen who returned to Lagos shortly after the ‘human cargo’ was off loaded.

Some of those who were brought in said they were detained for crimes they did not commit before they were subsequently moved out of the state. But the Commissioner for Information in Lagos State, Mr. Lateef Ibirogba denied the speculations that the government deported 67 persons from Lagos.

He said: “We did not deport anybody. By the constitution of Nigeria, everybody has a right to live in any part of the country. But we have been emphasizing that people must live within the law. However, it is not true.”

Some of the 67 persons, who were dropped off told newsmen that they were arrested, detained and subsequently brought to Lagos by law enforcement agents. One of them who gave her name as Chima said: “I was on my way home to Okokomaiko in Lagos when a group of young men accosted me and took me to a place I do not know. When I got there, I met these people and over 29 some of who died in detention. I thank God that I am now free and I want people to help me so that I can find my way home.”

Another who gave his name as John Irabor from Benin, Edo State said he and his fellow inmates had a traumatic time while they were in detention. He insisted that he did not commit any crime and said they were neither charged to any court nor incarcerated in prison.

His words: “While we were in detention, they fed us only once a day and even when the food was brought, it usually tasted bad. If you look at us, you will see that we were treated badly.”

When contacted, the Onitsha Area Commander, Mr. Benjamin Woru said the police would investigate the incident and ensure that the victims were monitored so that there would be no security breach.

Sun News
Re: Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government by strangest(m): 6:18am On Aug 01, 2013
Pathetic!!! Fashola, I trusted you.. I was even ready to support your presidential bid but I just came to realize that you are lame, your actions are stupid and not matured... You need to be in jail for this... Very Pathetic
Re: Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government by Nobody: 6:20am On Aug 01, 2013
When will your governors act?
Re: Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government by raytony: 6:30am On Aug 01, 2013
If na me, na to enter motor back to Lagos. Fashola no try sha. He laid a bad precedent with that singular action.
Re: Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government by Brimmie(m): 7:22am On Aug 01, 2013
Fashola knows what he's doing!! He's 100% On-check!! Igbo ppl shld stop being tribalistic and view this issue like a Nigerian. Stop playing cheap politics.

Besides, Lagos won't be the first to transport ppl to their states instead of causing havoc to them selves by getting raped under the bridge, being introduced to Gang (robbers),, being used for rituals... and not causing havoc to the society by polluting it.

It is done in US.. So why crying out lord for God's sake?? I thought the Northerners were the one holding us back, i was wrong!!

[size=20]New York City, Baton Rouge and San Francisco have all tried similar programs. New York City implemented its version in 2007, flying more than 550 homeless people back to their families in places like Paris, Orlando, and San Juan (the most popular destination), according to a 2009 article in the New York Times. Homeless advocates vehemently opposed the scheme. “What we’re doing is passing the problem of homelessness to another city,” Arnold S. Cohen, CEO of Partnership for the Homeless, told the Times. “We’re taking people from a shelter bed here to the living room couch of another family. Essentially, this family is still homeless.”[/size]

Read The Full Article Here http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/31/hawaii-offers-homeless-one-way-tickets-out-of-state/
Re: Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government by ROYALD(m): 7:29am On Aug 01, 2013
HEAVENLY FATHER MUST KILL FASHIOLA

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government by wirinet(m): 8:06am On Aug 01, 2013
Brimmie: Fashola knows what he's doing!! He's 100% On-check!! Igbo ppl shld stop being tribalistic and view this issue like a Nigerian. Stop playing cheap politics.

Besides, Lagos won't be the first to transport ppl to their states instead of causing havoc to them selves by getting raped under the bridge, being introduced to Gang (robbers),, being used for rituals... and not causing havoc to the society by polluting it.

It is done in US.. So why crying out lord for God's sake?? I thought the Northerners were the one holding us back, i was wrong!!

[size=20]New York City, Baton Rouge and San Francisco have all tried similar programs. New York City implemented its version in 2007, flying more than 550 homeless people back to their families in places like Paris, Orlando, and San Juan (the most popular destination), according to a 2009 article in the New York Times. Homeless advocates vehemently opposed the scheme. “What we’re doing is passing the problem of homelessness to another city,” Arnold S. Cohen, CEO of Partnership for the Homeless, told the Times. “We’re taking people from a shelter bed here to the living room couch of another family. Essentially, this family is still homeless.”[/size]

Read The Full Article Here http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/31/hawaii-offers-homeless-one-way-tickets-out-of-state/

I hate it when Nigerian use the tribal part of their brains to always respond to issues and reason like a fish. What is Fashola's business if people decide to cause themselves to be raped and used for morning rituals? The nigerian constitution allows any nigerian to live in any part of Nigeria with no conditions attached. If fashola is so concerned about the welfare of jobless and homeless non indigenes, he should work with police to provide security. How is dumping them at onitsha going to stop the deported people from being kidnapped, raped and used for money ritual. Will the yoruba bigots supporting this action support deporting Yoruba in Anambra to isale - eko. Why was it only igbos that was deported? Do Fashola have the liver to deport hausas who actually constitute the bulb of homeless beggars in lagos.

The story you posed is a dishonest attempt at justifying fashola's wrong action, no where in the article did it say the homeless newyorkers were dumped on the streets of others cities, they were flown and handed over to their families in various cities because the government could no longer provide shelter beds for them.

There are homeless beggars in all cities in Nigeria, starting a deportation war will further lead to animosity and badblood, which we do not need at this time of our national development.
Re: Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government by solomon111(m): 8:18am On Aug 01, 2013
Fashola has already killed any hope of getting to ASO-ROCK in the near future.
We don't want such bigoted,short-sighted and mentally retardedd individual at the Presidential level.
APC or whatever they call themselves will be wise to take note for the sake of their relevance.
Re: Nigerians Recount Abduction By Lagos State Government by mgbeketoto: 8:19am On Aug 01, 2013
Still on 'the voice' of the 'IGBOS' crying in the NIGERIAN-BIAFRAN wilderness!

E don do abeg!

At least they were not BOMBED like BOKO HARAM 'depArted' some of them!

(1) (Reply)

Why Would I Leave Nigeria ? / Doyin Okupe Vs Lai Mohammed / Important Warning For Lekki Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.