Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action (3791 Views)

APC Writes Jonathan, Jega On Using Military For Elections / Tinubu Threatens Legal Action Against Saharareporters / Oyinlola Writes Jonathan, Offers To Quit PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Youngzedd(m): 5:06am On Aug 01, 2013
AWKA — GOVERNOR Peter Obi of Anambra State has protested to President Goodluck Jonathan, the alleged deportation of 72 persons by Lagos State government. The deporteees were dumped at Upper Iweka area of Onitsha at night last week.

Obi’s letter to the President came on the heels of a threat by Onitsha branch of Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, to drag Lagos State government to court over the issue

Obi’s letter titled: “Unconstitutional, illegal and forced deportation of Nigerians to Anambra State from Lagos State” reads: “I wish to respectfully bring to your due attention a very disturbing development that has vast national security and political implications.

“Last September and again on July 24, 2013, the Lagos State Government contrived inexplicable reasons to round up Nigerians, whom they alleged were Anambra indigenes (most of whom the SSS report shows clearly are not from Anambra State) and forcefully deported them to Anambra State, dumping them as it were in the commercial city of Onitsha (see attached SSS report).

*File photo: Sranded persons numbering about 70 allegedly dumped at the upper axis of Onitsha, Anambra State at about 3:20 a.m. by unknown persons. PHOTO: NAN.

“This latest callous act, in which Lagos State did not even bother to consult with Anambra State, before deporting 72 persons considered to be of Igbo extraction to Anambra State, is illegal, unconstitutional and a blatant violation of the human rights of these individuals and of the Nigerian Constitution.

“Your Excellency, no amount of offense committed by these people, even if deemed extremely criminal, would justify or warrant such cruel action by a State authority and in a democracy.

“Even refugees are protected by the law. Furthermore, the extant provisions of the Nigerian Constitution states: ‘Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part, thereof, and no citizen shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereby or exit therefrom’.

“Sir, forced deportation such as this, which Lagos State seems to be making a norm in addressing its domestic challenges are egregious and calls into question the validity of Nigeria and its federating components. Such acts violate human decency, the rule of law and constitutionally ordered liberties. Were Anambra and other states in the federation to resort to such extreme measures, there would be total anarchy.

“It would amount to complicity on the part of the states and the Federal Government, if this issue is not thoroughly investigated and some form of censure brought to bear on Lagos State. I suggest, Sir, that you direct the Attorney-General of the Federation to investigate these incidents.

“Naturally, I have the obligation to protect the interest and welfare of all Nigerians resident in Anambra State irrespective of their states of origin and I would be left with no option other than reciprocity or reprisal”.

I will, however, put any such reaction in abeyance until Your Excellency has had the opportunity to address our concerns.

“Please accept, Your Excellency, the renewed assurances of my highest regards.”

Similarly, rising from a meeting in Onitsha, the NBA frowned at what it described as flagrant violation of human rights of some Nigerians by Lagos State government and warned that it could be forced to take appropriate legal action against Lagos State government if the ugly incident was not redressed.

In a communiqué, the chairman, Mr. D.C. Maduewesi and secretary, Mr. Steve Ononye, recalled that a similar incident occurred at the same Upper- Iweka in Onitsha last year in which over 100 persons of South-East origin residing in Lagos State were deported to Anambra State without any reason.

According to the association, most of the victims of the illegal deportation were innocent Nigerians who lived below poverty level and regretted that a state like Lagos that has a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) at the helm of affairs could embark on flagrant abuse of the rights of fellow Nigerians.

It wondered when it became fashionable for a state in the country to engage in internal deportation of fellow citizens without tangible reasons and called for adequate compensation from Lagos State government to alleviate the suffering already experienced by the deportees.

Source

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 5:25am On Aug 01, 2013
Tanx God Obi has finally woken up from slumber.This matter should not be taken lightly and pusured to a logical conclusions.

Matters bordering on violations of bsaic human right and murder has cropped up.29 people were alleged to have died in nazi like concentration camps.The veracity of these reports must be ascertained and if found to be credible,the pepetrators should be brought to book.Fashola might have immunity now but not after may 29 2015,If truly people were murdered in his concentraqtion camps,then he should be prosecuted after leaving office.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 5:41am On Aug 01, 2013
I know fashola is now scared wherever he is cheesy. Next time he should think twice before misbehaving. This is a clear exampple y second tenure system should be scrapped in nigerian politics. These policians seem to misbehave during second tenure...except Sullivan chime sha

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 5:44am On Aug 01, 2013
Noise ...talk...threat....shout everywhere!!!!!

Try and mess up and see consequences.....we really want you to act for once.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by strangest(m): 5:46am On Aug 01, 2013
Time to deport Fashola to Niger or Chad...
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by fingard02k(m): 6:37am On Aug 01, 2013
what will happen at last?
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 6:44am On Aug 01, 2013
strangest: Time to deport Fashola to Niger or Chad...

More like time to deport people like you back to Onisha and other villages....or better Cameroon grin
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 6:45am On Aug 01, 2013
fingard02k: what will happen at last?

What will happen?...below is the best they can do..

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Brimmie(m): 6:46am On Aug 01, 2013
[size=20]Igbo Kwenu!! grin grin
Una Stubborn Well Well!!

Fashola Go Wipe Una Wt Mallam Koboko For Court!!

GAME OF THRONES : Season 4
[/size]
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 01, 2013
Time changes yesterday.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by raytony: 6:56am On Aug 01, 2013
Na Wah oh! Person go outside d country, dem go deport am, person go manage for Lagos again, Fashola go deport am. Hmmm! Which way Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Brimmie(m): 7:16am On Aug 01, 2013
Fashola knows what he's doing!! He's 100% On-check!! Igbo ppl shld stop being tribalistic and view this issue like a Nigerian. Stop playing cheap politics.

Besides, Lagos won't be the first to transport ppl to their states instead of causing havoc to them selves by getting raped under the bridge, being introduced to Gang (robbers),, being used for rituals... and not causing havoc to the society by polluting it.

It is done in US.. So why crying out lord for God's sake?? I thought the Northerners were the one holding us back, i was wrong!!

[size=20]New York City, Baton Rouge and San Francisco have all tried similar programs. New York City implemented its version in 2007, flying more than 550 homeless people back to their families in places like Paris, Orlando, and San Juan (the most popular destination), according to a 2009 article in the New York Times. Homeless advocates vehemently opposed the scheme. “What we’re doing is passing the problem of homelessness to another city,” Arnold S. Cohen, CEO of Partnership for the Homeless, told the Times. “We’re taking people from a shelter bed here to the living room couch of another family. Essentially, this family is still homeless.”[/size]

Read The Full Article Here http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/31/hawaii-offers-homeless-one-way-tickets-out-of-state/

2 Likes

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Yeske2(m): 7:31am On Aug 01, 2013
^^^
At least nobody was picked up, kept in a concentration camp for months under dehumanizing conditions and dumped under a bridge in the dead of the night.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by ROYALD(m): 7:39am On Aug 01, 2013
Brimmie: [size=20]Igbo Kwenu!! grin grin
Una Stubborn Well Well!!

Fashola Go Wipe Una Wt Mallam Koboko For Court!!

GAME OF THRONES : Season 4
[/size]

Nigeria is on time bomb
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Brimmie(m): 7:41am On Aug 01, 2013
ROYALD:

Nigeria is on time bomb

Lol.. Really!? Abeg make dem plant am for ABJ!!
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 01, 2013
Lagos State Government in trouble.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 01, 2013
melojames: Lagos State Government in trouble.

Which trouble? The one you see in your Igbo?

Just let Yoruba perceive Jonathan taking side...
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by justsayemma(m): 8:03am On Aug 01, 2013
Obi petitioning Fash,wil it build infrastructure that wil better d lives of d Ibos? Since they were deported,has any Ibo leader taken them into custody n beta thier lives? How is this hatred against d ibos,were people 4m other regions not deported? No poorman can live in Pdp controlled Abj,talk less of practicing street begging.OBI knows dat he is wasting his time,bt he jst doing 2 please hs people,since that is thier major problem.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by dridowu: 8:12am On Aug 01, 2013
He will detain offender................................he is tribalistic
he will fine offender...........................he is tribalistic
he wil relocate offender..........................he is tribalistic
he arrest offender personally................................he is tribalistic
yet they cannot advise him on how to deal with offender
the only thing they will say is " he is tribalistic "
Fashola do your work according to the law of the state

2 Likes

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by ChristKid1: 8:12am On Aug 01, 2013
I just pity Igbos supporting hausa-yoröba apc. This is just the tip of the iceberg. This is at state level wait till they get to federal.

Especially that akwuna si owerri

cool
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Maxymilliano(m): 8:16am On Aug 01, 2013
What we have is a problem of class discrimination ... If the tax and financial obligations of non-Lagosians can be ideal for the government coffers, why cherry-pick the asset only to do away with the liability and responsibility that comes with rural-urban migration? Afterall, according to Fashola himself, Lagos is home to all ...

This will be an acid test for the rule of law and instead of unnecessary chest-beating and empty threats, the court can serve as the final arbiter.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 01, 2013
ilugunboy:

Which trouble? The one you see in your Igbo?

Just let Yoruba perceive Jonathan taking side...

Thank you for seeing my Igbo. I am a yoruba too and i do not understand what you gain from your tribalistic mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by solomon111(m): 8:24am On Aug 01, 2013
I hope jonathan holds fashola to ransom.
What nonsense!!
It seems Fashola wants SOE to be declared in lagos.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Onlytruth(m): 8:43am On Aug 01, 2013
That's a start.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Onlytruth(m): 8:44am On Aug 01, 2013
Attorney General and Inspector General of Police should be leading this investigation and censuring.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 01, 2013
chukwudi44: Tanx God Obi has finally woken up from slumber.This matter should not be taken lightly and pusured to a logical conclusions.

Peter Obi needs to prove this intervention is not an attempt to milk the suffering of the underprivileged for all its worth, by explaining why he failed to take action on the letter sent by the LSG

Igbokwe said before they were moved to Onitsha, the Lagos State Government wrote a letter to Anambra State Government on the matter, but there was no reply until the state decided to move them.

Matters bordering on violations of bsaic human right and murder has cropped up.29 people were alleged to have died in nazi like concentration camps.The veracity of these reports must be ascertained and if found to be credible,the pepetrators should be brought to book. Fashola might have immunity now but not after may 29 2015,If truly people were murdered in his concentraqtion camps,then he should be prosecuted after leaving office.

Although it is rather difficult to conclude with any degree of certainty if the eye witness account given below refers to "29 deaths" or "29 people in custody", the sacredness of human life compels an independent enquiry, in my opinion.

One of them, who gave her name as Chima, stated that she was picked up on her way home. Her words: “I was on my way home to Okokomaiko in Lagos when a group of young men accosted me and took me to a place I do not know. When I got there, I met these people and over 29 of whom died in detention.

Moving on... Nigerians who are genuinely outraged by this episode need to ask far reaching questions. It is not enough to feign/express indignation without weighing up the sense of hopelessness and desperation which compelled migration to Lagos in the first place.

The issue of rural to urban migration and vice versa is one that observers in even more advanced countries find contentious due to its attendant consequences, so let's not pretend this episode (the actions of LSG)is something borne out of the ordinary.

When some of us indulge in hysteria to band around emotive terms like "satanic" and "concentration camps", we need to be reminded about our muted response to the state-sponsored, extra-judicial killings uncovered in ezu river, and precisely what it connotes.

If commentators on all sides of the divide really care about the main issue at stake - the plight of the poor and disenfranchised in our society - then now is a time to elevate the debate to a plateau that is completely devoid of hypocrisy and ethnic-jingoism.
Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:55am On Aug 01, 2013
Baba FASHOLA, I hope you areading this.

WE ARE BEHIND YOU 100%.

Your task force must continue to reunite irredemable, undesirable elements with their families in alaigbo. They want to shout you down with noise and rhetoric, we want you to intimidate them with law and executive power. Ibo leaders are the drum majors of the arrogance of the ordinary ibo on the street, they the leaders ennable the action of their hopeless citizens who leave home, hopeful Fashola and Lagos owe them welfare and survival.

Ibos are the responsibilities of Federal government and SE governments. They are not responsibilities of Fashola and Lagos. Any ibo in Lagos who is not being supported by FG or sponsored by SE governments and has no means of supporting himself/herself should be sent either to Abuja or deported to SE.

Yorubas dont dump into other people land and end up a transient and nuisance. We dont want transients on our streets. Our children need to enjoy the benefits of their state and homeland and are tired of getting fractions because omoluabi demands of them to be generous. Our generosity is owed to fellow omoluabis, not vagabonds and robbers and kidnappers from SE.

5 Likes

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by ballabriggs: 9:00am On Aug 01, 2013
Another claptrap from Peter Adaobi, the first Nigerian female state Governor.

If Obi is finding it difficult to rid Onitsha of all the trash, should it then be the same for every sane leader. If Adaobi and his bunch of thieving Governor's had spent more time building the SE, those boys selling gala and lacasera on the highway would have been better placed.

Perhaps someone needs to sit Adaobi down and tell him not all Governors will fold their arms and watch their cities degenerate into a state of lawlessness like Onitsha.

Adaobi should not be taken serious as he belongs to the group that spend their monthly allocation eating nkwobi and small stout instead of bettering the lives of their people.

4 Likes

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by OPCNAIRALAND: 9:03am On Aug 01, 2013
ballabriggs: Another claptrap from Peter Adaobi, the first female state Governor in obodo naija.

If Obi is finding it difficult to rid Onitsha of all the trash, then he thinks it should be the same for every sane leader. If Obi and his bunch of thieving Governor's had spent more time building the SE, those boys selling gala and lacasera on the highway would have been better placed.

Perhaps someone needs to sit Adaobi down and tell him not all Governors will fold their arms and watch their cities degenerate into a state of lawlessness like Onitsha.

Adaobi should not be taken serious as he belongs to the group that spend their monthly allocation eating nkwobi and small stout instead of bettering the lives of their people.

Obi prefers to buy vehicles for Army and Police and repair roads in their barracks than open skill workshops and craft learning centers to train and rehabilitate kidnappers and armed robbers.

3 Likes

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by Onlytruth(m): 9:04am On Aug 01, 2013
OPC.NAIRALAND:

Yorubas dont dump into other people land and end up a transient and nuisance.

It depends on how TOLERANT you are. What you call "nuisance" is what I call POOR man/woman.
There are MANY of YOUR (Yoruba) poor in the East, from Asaba to Onitsha, to Enugu, to Aba, to Abakaliki, to Owerri, to Umuahia to Nnewi, to Port Harcourt,to Calabar, to Uyo.

We TOLERATE them. That is what HUMANS do.

If you don't understand this simple human instinct, then maybe you need to examine your humanity. SMH.

4 Likes

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by OPCNAIRALAND: 9:07am On Aug 01, 2013
Onlytruth:

It depends on how TOLERANT you are. What you call "nuisance" is what I call POOR man/woman.
There are MANY of YOUR (Yoruba) poor in the East, from Asaba to Onitsha, to Enugu, to Aba, to Abakaliki, to Owerri, to Umuahia to Nnewi, to Port Harcourt,to Calabar, to Uyo.

We TOLERATE them. That is what HUMANS do.

If you don't understand this simple human instinct, then maybe you need to examine your humanity. SMH.

No, the Yorubas in East tolerate you.

1 Like

Re: Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action by datChelseaBoy: 9:08am On Aug 01, 2013
What madness! So Nigerians now face deportation in their own country? After they will come out and start shouting one Nigeria. It is now clear that Fashola has an anti-Igbo agenda going by his recent actions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC To Register Members October / GEJ: Two Years In Pictures / Buhari Appoints Kinsman As Dss Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.