Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid (2132 Views)

Impacts And Contribution Of Islam To World Civilization. / 'Plucking of Eyebrows is not permissible In Islam / Is It Permissible To Close Your Eyes During Solat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by Samdul: 7:10am On Aug 04, 2013
salam, i want to know if it is allowed to name one's child "shaheed".dont know why but some scholars are of the opinion that it is ok,while others have some reservations with the name.
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by tpia5: 7:57am On Aug 04, 2013
why not ask the scholars in question for the reason and then draw your own conclusions if necessary.
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by deols(f): 1:35pm On Aug 04, 2013
Sayyid means master.

I think it is one of those that are disliked. Not really haram
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by Sissie(f): 2:04pm On Aug 04, 2013
Shaheed/Shahid is different from sayyid, it means witness.
One of the names of Allah is Ash-Shaheed. I guess that's why some scholars frown against it.

If the name is used with a definite article I.e Ash-Shaheed it's not allowed, but without a definite article i.e Shahid it's allowed.
The female version is Shahidah and I know people who bear the name.
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by LagosShia: 2:14pm On Aug 04, 2013
there is nothing wrong with naming one's son "shaheed" (witness/martyr).the name is in use among muslims.

"sayyid" on the other hand is a title,and I have not come across a muslim whose name is "sayyid" (master/Mr.)
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by deols(f): 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2013
undecided

Sorry for the mix up embarassed embarassed
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by siddiq202(m): 6:44pm On Aug 04, 2013
tpia@:
why not ask the scholars in question for the reason and then draw your own conclusions if necessary.
grin grin grin

At times it is good to read some threads and pass without commenting
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by tpia5: 7:04pm On Aug 04, 2013
There is nothing wrong with asking questions ( and the op can ask on the question thread btw), but i think all he's trying to do is cause confusion.

If you've listened to various scholars and some are for while others are against, then what exactly necessitates you bringing the same matter to nl, what makes you feel the same wont happen here.

Of course the best option is to just allow him/them to go ahead with the original intent, just for the sake of people like you, however, occasionally folks need to know they are not as sneaky as they think they are.

And after all anyway, how e take concern me, na my section?
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 04, 2013
Abdashsheehid or abdshahid is better and proper than straight up shehid.

the shehid will mean The Name of Lmighty in the mind of those who advised against it.

there are some names that people cant bear straight up without Abd before it.
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 04, 2013
double post
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by Samdul: 8:08pm On Aug 04, 2013
tpia@:
There is nothing wrong with asking questions ( and the op can ask on the question thread btw), but i think all he's trying to do is cause confusion.

If you've listened to various scholars and some are for while others are against, then what exactly necessitates you bringing the same matter to nl, what makes you feel the same wont happen here.

Of course the best option is to just allow him/them to go ahead with the original intent, just for the sake of people like you, however, occasionally folks need to know they are not as sneaky as they think they are.

And after all anyway, how e take concern me, na my section?

you are not being fair to this topic,my question is not to be answered by all,if you dont have any contribution to make you can just ignore and move to thousands of other threads,but jumping to conclusion that i'm here to cause confusion is not wat i seek to achieve.

For all those that have responded with a heart to assist and throw more light on this topic i say thank you.
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by siddiq202(m): 8:27pm On Aug 04, 2013
^She doesnt understand your question because she's not a Muslim. I think you should know this from her posts.
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by LagosShia: 11:03pm On Aug 04, 2013
RoyPCain: Abdashsheehid or abdshahid is better and proper than straight up shehid.

the shehid will mean The Name of Lmighty in the mind of those who advised against it.

there are some names that people cant bear straight up without Abd before it.

well,in reality there is nothing wrong with bearing the asma-ul-husna of Almighty Allah (swt),with or without the "abd" before it.people can bear names like Rashid,rahim,rahman,aziz,qadir,etc.and shahid too is one of the names of Allah (swt).its just a matter of choice."shahid" can mean "witness" (as in the name of Allah) or "martyr" (as in someone who strives for an Islamic cause and is martyred).
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by Sissie(f): 5:13am On Aug 05, 2013
It's forbidden to bear the finest names of Allah without adding Abd/Abdul to it. Names like Al-Malik (the eternal lord), Al-Khaliq (the creator), Al -Qaadir (the omnipotent one) etc.
But certain names can be beared without its definite article names like Ash-Shaheed can be beared as shaheed, Al-Ali can be beared as Ali etc.
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by LagosShia: 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2013
Sissie: It's forbidden to bear the finest names of Allah without adding Abd/Abdul to it. Names like Al-Malik (the eternal lord), Al-Khaliq (the creator), Al -Qaadir (the omnipotent one) etc.
But certain names can be beared without its definite article names like Ash-Shaheed can be beared as shaheed, Al-Ali can be beared as Ali etc.

can you please back up your claim with evidence from any muslim scholar (sunni or shia) that what you typed above is correct?

the names of Allah (swt) carry qualities that we muslims strive to attain.take for example ghafoor (which means forgiving) or raheem (which means merciful).who doesn't want to be merciful and forgiving? when the name is given to a man,it is in a relative sense.when the title/name is given to Allah (swt) it is in the Ultimate sense.

as for "malik" it means "king".i am amused you defined it as "eternal lord".it doesn't mean any "eternal lord".it means "KING".wherever you got your definition from probably gave that definition for certain reasons,not to defame those muslims who claim the title and call themselves "kings".however bearing the title as a name (not a title of authority that Allah possesses) is not wrong.take for instance Imam Malik of the Sunni Maliki school of thought/jurisprudence.i have not come across any Sunni calling him Abdul-Malik.they call him Malik.if you see anything wrong with that then you're pointing finger at 1/4 of the Sunni branch of Islam.

it is best to be sure of what we say than to issue statements that carry much weight while we are ignorant of the weight they carry.Imam Ali (as) said the one who does not say 'I don't know' is treading the path of destruction.

PS: "Rab" means "eternal/absolute Lord".
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by Sissie(f): 6:24pm On Aug 05, 2013
LagosShia:

can you please back up your claim with evidence from any muslim scholar (sunni or shia) that what you typed above is correct?

the names of Allah (swt) carry qualities that we muslims strive to attain.take for example ghafoor (which means forgiving) or raheem (which means merciful).who doesn't want to be merciful and forgiving? when the name is given to a man,it is in a relative sense.when the title/name is given to Allah (swt) it is in the Ultimate sense.

as for "malik" it means "king".i am amused you defined it as "eternal lord".it doesn't mean any "eternal lord".it means "KING".wherever you got your definition from probably gave that definition for certain reasons,not to defame those muslims who claim the title and call themselves "kings".however bearing the title as a name (not a title of authority that Allah possesses) is not wrong.take for instance Imam Malik of the Sunni Maliki school of thought/jurisprudence.i have not come across any Sunni calling him Abdul-Malik.they call him Malik.if you see anything wrong with that then you're pointing finger at 1/4 of the Sunni branch of Islam.

it is best to be sure of what we say than to issue statements that carry much weight while we are ignorant of the weight they carry.Imam Ali (as) said the one who does not say 'I don't know' is treading the path of destruction.

PS: "Rab" means "eternal/absolute Lord".
Noted
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by Sissie(f): 6:48pm On Aug 05, 2013
@op Al-Malik means king, made a mistake.
Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by tbaba1234: 7:05pm On Aug 05, 2013
Sissie is correct.. Lagosshia, you should just explain the shia understanding so that you do not confuse people. Shias have different understandings on a lot of things.

The below is from islamqa

Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, there are names which we are forbidden to use, examples of which are as follows:

It is forbidden to use any name which belongs only to Allaah, such as al-Khaaliq (the Creator) and al-Quddoos (the Most Holy), or names which do not befit any except Allaah, such as Malik al-Mulook (King of Kings). . This is the consensus of the fuqaha’.

Ibn al-Qayyim said that names which belong only to Allaah include: al-Ahad (the One), al-Samad (the Eternal), al-Khaaliq (the Creator), al-Razzaaq (the Provider), al-Jabbaar (the Compeller), al-Mutakabbir (the Majestic), al-Awwal (the First), al-Aakhir (the Last), al-Baatin (the Hidden) and ‘Allaam al-Ghuyoob (the Knower of the Unseen). (Tuhfat al-Mawdood, p. 98).

The evidence that it is forbidden to call anyone by a name which belongs only to Allaah, such as Malik al-Mulook (king of kings), may be seen for example in the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him); in the version narrated by al-Bukhaari, he said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘The most despised name with Allaah on the Day of Resurrection will be a man called Malik al-Mulook.’” According to Muslim, he said, “The man who will most deserving of Allaah’s anger and most evil on the Day of Resurrection will be a man who was called Malik al-Amlaak. There is no King except Allaah.”

1 Like

Re: Is It Permissible In Islam To Name Someone "Shaheed/shahid by Sissie(f): 7:34pm On Aug 05, 2013
Tbaba1234 has explained in a better way.

(1) (Reply)

The Concept Of Imam(ship) And Caliphate - The True Story / Prophet Muhammad (SAW) Never Beat A Human Or Animal Through Out His Lifetime / The Sunnah Acts And Etiquettes Of ‘eid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.