Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Youwin Business Competition 2013 - Business (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Youwin Business Competition 2013 (389376 Views)

Tips For Youwin Business Competition For 2015 / Apllication For YOUWIN Business Competition Extended To January 21st, 2014 / Youwin Business Competition 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 1:02pm On Aug 12, 2014
stagger:

Why should they do that? So that you will learn from their errors and have an unfair edge over them? This is a business plan COMPETITION bro.

Then what is the purpose of this thread in the first instance if not to help each other?

We gave insights all the way from the first stage, compared notes and helped each other forward.

No one is forcing you to state how you fared... Afterall, we have all gotten this far without it.

It was an honest request and it's not a biggie.

If you feel the best way for you to win at this stage is for others to be uninformed, no problem. It's your opinion.

Afterall, que sera sera... What will be will be.

If you have done the interview and have the desire to help others coming, please do it. If you don't feel so, please don't.

Not all first class students have first class bank accounts afterall.

My unreserved opinion

8 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by brilapluz(m): 2:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
stagger:

Why should they do that? So that you will learn from their errors and have an unfair edge over them? This is a business plan COMPETITION bro.
smh
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by dosibuch(m): 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
tips from my biz plan defense yesterday.
1. know your business processes well
2. know your competitors
3. know your marketing strategy.

I will rate mine 60-70% cos I remembered things I could have said when I left the panel in a hurry to catch a flight so as to be in the office today.
don't make same mistake. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 3:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
dosibuch: tips from my biz plan defense yesterday.
2. know your competitors

I will rate mine 60-70% cos I remembered things I could have said when I left the panel in a hurry to catch a flight so as to be in the office today.

May God bless your efforts.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by manya(m): 3:36pm On Aug 12, 2014
hello house please i want to know whether there is any other defense venue apart from Enugu and Abuja. Also is there any interview in Abuja b4 27th?
Thank you all.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by ola2gg: 3:51pm On Aug 12, 2014
Is ur business new or existing? did they asked for ur c.a.c cert?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by ola2gg: 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
2. know your competitors

Tanx.Is ur business new or existing? did they asked for ur c.a.c cert?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by neksummi(m): 4:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
2. know your competitors

You're blessed. For not being selfish, you shall scale through. Forget about what you forgot to tell them. You shall be favoured even with the ones you presented.

Guys I have this challenge. I noticed bullets are counted too in the number of words presented and some times I have up to 8 - 15 points that are bulleted (Don't mind the english). What should I do? More so that we're printing things out. Even if they're to count the words, do you think they'll count bullets as words? Help me out please.

Thanks.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Ibrahym(m): 4:23pm On Aug 12, 2014
edundayo:

Though, I don't have the same experience, I think you might want to be very careful and tread with caution in changing whatever figures that got you through the 2nd stage (because there is the possibility you might not have gotten through if you had submitted with your intended correction). I think YouWiN is primarily expecting you to come and "defend" not "come and correct". You can always make the changes during the execution stage of your business.

For now, my advise is; do your corrections somewhere separate, study, understand and memorise them. You'll not be needing much of the financials in your presentation "looking at the format of the template" and you can always explain if you are asked about it during the questions & answers time with the panel.
Thanks!

neksummi:
Guys I have this challenge. I noticed bullets are counted too in the number of words presented and some times I have up to 8 - 15 points that are bulleted (Don't mind the english). What should I do? More so that we're printing things out. Even if they're to count the words, do you think they'll count bullets as words? Help me out please.
Thanks.

I don't know if they will, I don't expect anyone to count words on the printed document, but I'll still advise you stick to word limits.
If you cant reduce the words and are still bothered, consider using numbering and close space with first word, e.g.
(1)The
(2)For
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Ikandah: 5:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
U guys have nothing to be afraid of. Just be consistent, confident and able to convince the panel despite their action to make your business plan look useless and the requested amount too much to be realistic.
We must all smile at last!

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by CoolKizzy(m): 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2014
2. know your competitors

Thanks a lot for this. please I'll like to ask.

1. Did they ask questions from your financials? like break even etc.

2. How many panelists?

3. Is one allowed to hold a copy of the prepared template when presenting?

God bless you.

@Ikandah please your contributions will be appreciated also. thanks.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 12, 2014
stagger:

sounds mean but you are right.

I was able to catch an episode of dragon's den this evening. A real eye opener. Presently I am very sure exceeding the 40% cost me my chance with this program and like someone here said, submitting on the first day was a big error because reminiscing on what I submitted, there are huge costs I marked as capital expenditure but in reality were recurrent expenditure.

I do not know how you made the correlation between dragon's den and writing proposal for a new business plan because the dragons were very keen on revenue to profit ratio. How does a new business that hasn't made a sale gets a dragon interested?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by obiscolly(m): 9:34pm On Aug 12, 2014
stagger:

Seriously, I think you still have a lot to learn about life. Don't need to repeat what Denn said already.

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by stagger: 10:06pm On Aug 12, 2014
obiscolly:
Seriously, I think you still have a lot to learn about life. Don't need to repeat what Denn said already.

Wait until your competition sends moles and spies to come to your business posing as unemployed people looking for work. Then make the mistake of employing them. Then you will understand better how mean human beings are and the extent they can go to in order to put out the competition. The business world is not for niceties. You ask those close to a man like Jim Ovia about what hides behind some of those public smiles you see him putting up.

This is coming from someone involved in the business world since 1986. I wonder how old you were then when I was hustling the streets of Port Harcourt then as a teenager. I can assure you that I know a lot about life than 90% of Nairalanders, and we learn more everyday.

Problem is that many of you are just too naive. You need to enter the battleground of the business terrain in Nigeria to understand what I am talking about.

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by juri: 10:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
Pls can someone state whether CAC Reg. was a condition for the purpose of the interview for a new company
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by obiscolly(m): 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
stagger:

Wait until your competition sends moles and spies to come to your business posing as unemployed people looking for work. Then make the mistake of employing them. Then you will understand better how mean human beings are and the extent they can go to in order to put out the competition. The business world is not for niceties. You ask those close to a man like Jim Ovia about what hides behind some of those public smiles you see him putting up.

This is coming from someone involved in the business world since 1986. I wonder how old you were then when I was hustling the streets of Port Harcourt then as a teenager. I can assure you that I know a lot about life than 90% of Nairalanders, and we learn more everyday.

Problem is that many of you are just too naive. You need to enter the battleground of the business terrain in Nigeria to understand what I am talking about.
Dude chill...i don't really care how long you've been in the street. That doesn't put food on my table. I still maintain my word that you still have a lot to learn about life. You are just being unnecessarily paranoid and the scenario you described above about people spying on your business does not relate in anyway to what we're talking about. You can't tell me that since you started following this forum you've gained nothing from the contributions of others (which one way or the other aided your advancement to the final stage) ...success naturally repels from people with your kind of mindset, so I'll not be surprised even if you tell me you've been in the business world since 1900 and have nothing to show for it. No man is an island dude #goFigure

Good luck

4 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by obiscolly(m): 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
juri: Pls can someone state whether CAC Reg. was a condition for the purpose of the interview for a new company
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by edundayo(m): 11:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
@stagger

Much as I understand where you'r coming from and the point you'r trying you make (believe me I really do), I still think it's grossly unnecessary in this senario/situation. If my memory serves me right you were the one who introduced the idea of Dragons Den here on the forum, and they are all there on bbc/youtube. If Nigeria were already there digitally I can guess those earlier interviews might have already find there way online somewhere, so what's the big deal anyway.

I think it's only 'Nigerian mentality' to think that it'll automatically give anyone undue advantage, because I don't believe every one's presentation will ever be the same neither will everyone be asked the same questions and I believe YouWiN very well expect and allow some level of Naivety; doesn't the "You" in YouWiN stands for Youth? And the "I" for Innovative (not Inventive). If there was no IBM, one would wonder if there would have ever been a Microsoft, or what if there were never an iphone/ipad? Without that 'so called' undue advantage Android/Techo will be no where today!......spying is everbody's business (or why else will your business plan be having the info of your competeitors?).

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 11:58pm On Aug 12, 2014
obiscolly:
Dude chill...i don't really care how long you've been in the street. That doesn't put food on my table. I still maintain my word that you still have a lot to learn about life. You are just being unnecessarily paranoid and the scenario you described above about people spying on your business does not relate in anyway to what we're talking about. You can't tell me that since you started following this forum you've gained nothing from the contributions of others (which one way or the other aided your advancement to the final stage) ...success naturally repels from people with your kind of mindset, so I'll not be surprised even if you tell me you've been in the business world since 1900 and have nothing to show for it. No man is an island dude #goFigure

Good luck
You should listen to what he is saying. It is not compulsory you accept it all but he is quite right. After registering my business name and opening a corporate account, I met with my programmer this afternoon and he asked me to purchase my domain name with ssl. Guess what happened when I typed in the domain? Some phucking lady in Canada with a weird name had purchased my domain name on the 8th of this month. If that phucker thinks I'm going to be exploited then she's on a long thing. This happened to me today. All sort of shyt happens in real life. This is not final year exam or something where you are expected to be generous. If you want to stick with your ideology then you may as well share your business plan in the open and divulge your trade secrets.

I am yet to see a nice successful person when it comes to business. They may be nice when money is not involved but switch immediately they have to. As a matter of fact, being nice creates an avenue for friends and family to ruin your business and dash your hopes of being a successful business person.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by obiscolly(m): 12:10am On Aug 13, 2014
blink182: You should listen to what he is saying. It is not compulsory you accept it all but he is quite right. After registering my business name and opening a corporate account, I met with my programmer this afternoon and he asked me to purchase my domain name with ssl. Guess what happened when I typed in the domain? Some phucking lady in Canada with a weird name had purchased my domain name on the 8th of this month. If that phucker thinks I'm going to be exploited then she's on a long thing. This happened to me today. All sort of shyt happens in real life. This is not final year exam or something where you are expected to be generous. If you want to stick with your ideology then you may as well share your business plan in the open and divulge your trade secrets.

I am yet to see a nice successful person when it comes to business. They may be nice when money is not involved but switch immediately they have to. As a matter of fact, being nice creates an avenue for friends and family to ruin your business and dash your hopes of being a successful business person.
You guys talking about theft of ideas are just funny, no offense. I can't remember anyone asking for another person's idea since this thread was started up. If you take a step back and look at what's causing this controversy, it's because someone simply asked how the interview went. I'm pretty sure the guy that shared his experience above didn't do away with his business idea, and hasn't in anyway jeopardized his chances. So what are we talking about?!

3 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by favoryourl(m): 3:05am On Aug 13, 2014
pls house. don't be ................. remain prayerful and we will meet at the top
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by CoolKizzy(m): 5:26pm On Aug 13, 2014
house, I seriously doubt they will screen anybody out, else u know nothing about anything, their job is to price you down. we spent 30mins talking price like say I wan buy electronics grin maybe my panelists shaa. cos some others where more lenient and not money centered.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by onobelle: 5:41pm On Aug 13, 2014
coolkizzy, I saw u! I am d lady dat took keke napep with u, we were 3 asking u how it went....mine is tomorrow!
CoolKizzy: house, I seriously doubt they will screen anybody out, else u know nothing about anything, their job is to price you down. we spent 30mins talking price like say I wan buy electronics grin maybe my panelists shaa. cos some others where more lenient and not money centered.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
Veni, vedi, veci.
I went, I saw, I conquered (for my mind shaa).
The interview was kinda simple for me, I will say it is purely by God's grace. Anyway, they asked me about my experience, and tried talking me into doubting the amount I requested as being too big; though I stood my ground.
Unlike many in my venue today, I wasnt asked anything on financials which they used to confuse and distabilize many people. SO if you can, go study your financial and cash flow very well. Then prepare to defend the amount.
Finally, kneel down and ask God to favor you.
No need for the panic.

Please and please, carry the originals and photocopy of your CAC certificates. For existing businesses, go also with your tax clearance and bank statement.

Thanks all, goodluck to all and see you at the top.

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by chukwuka12: 5:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
Thanks Coolkizzy and Bigboyz32.... Lovely info, and straight to the point.... May God favour us all....
Congrats on your successes...

Cheers
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Adulphus(m): 6:09pm On Aug 13, 2014
grin

2 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by CoolKizzy(m): 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2014
onobelle: coolkizzy, I saw u! I am d lady dat took keke napep with u, we were 3 asking u how it went....mine is tomorrow!

wow, little world! all the best. you can do it. hope you have settled in?

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by CoolKizzy(m): 7:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
Bigboyz32: Veni, vedi, veci.
I went, I saw, I conquered (for my mind shaa).
The interview was kinda simple for me, I will say it is purely by God's grace. Anyway, they asked me about my experience, and tried talking me into doubting the amount I requested as being too big; though I stood my ground.
Unlike many in my venue today, I wasnt asked anything on financials which they used to confuse and distabilize many people. SO if you can, go study your financial and cash flow very well. Then prepare to defend the amount.
Finally, kneel down and ask God to favor you.
No need for the panic.

Please and please, carry the originals and photocopy of your CAC certificates. For existing businesses, go also with your tax clearance and bank statement.

Thanks all, goodluck to all and see you at the top.

bro we go make am, highest money go reduce, they tried to convince me to cut down on the number services I will offer so as to reduce money.

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by onobelle: 7:46pm On Aug 13, 2014
CoolKizzy:

wow, little world! all the best. you can do it. hope you have settled in?
yes dear....found a hotel nearby...tnx!
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by CoolKizzy(m): 7:52pm On Aug 13, 2014
onobelle:
yes dear....found a hotel nearby...tnx!

Ok dear,
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by chukwuka12: 10:37pm On Aug 13, 2014
@Adulphus, nice one, thanks for sharing.... Wishing all who have defended all the very best.... See u all at the top

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (149) (Reply)

Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks / Why You Should Stay Away From MMM Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.