Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,542 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation (33558 Views)

Desmond Elliot & Lagos House Of Assembly Members At US Conference (Photos) / Desmond Elliot Shares Photo Of His First Sitting At The Lagos House Of Assembly / Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Originalsly: 12:40pm On Aug 06, 2013
Western worshipers...self haters. In defense of the proposed dress code OP states that traditional clothing is Archaic...hundreds of years old. Suits are also very old but they are basically upgraded and modernized by designers. Are traditional clothing not also upgraded by designers? Nigerians are often the butt of jokes at international forums....if it's because of their clothing then are the Arabs too the butt of jokes? If it is about clothing then I am sure it is because of the ill fitting and inappropriate western suits they wear.In the hmmm...civilized countries where suits are worn even in the summer when it can be very hot...they don't have a shortage of electricity nor anti perspirants.How often do we see these hmmm...civilized people making public speeches in full suits with sweat soaked/stained under arms? I guess this whole move is all about looking good...looking civilized...just like those in the west. Bunch of brainwashed people.

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by bukatyne(f): 12:42pm On Aug 06, 2013
I sincerely believe it is a 'victim's mentality' to always want to 'prove' who you are. If Hilary Clinton wears Iro and Buba from now till next year, it does not make her African neither will a banker always be mistaken for a white because he/she decks suits even in bed cheesy

Culture as we were taught is a way of life encompassing dressing, language etc. so why are we so fixated on the dress part despite the fact that we have all of Friday - Sunday to wear it?

A lot of people who wear natives to represent 'Africa' always run abroad at slightest headache, do not use local(Made in Nigeria) stuffs, do not watch local channels, probably send their kids/school abroad etc. Some people wear dresses even to weddings. I wonder how many of us will decide to plait corn rows or didi without attachment. How many people still trek around? How many people are farmers or blacksmiths? How many people wear natives to a party? Or is sewing mini dresses with Ankara and show me your back them them now our culture? Is it the style we are fighting or the material? How many still grind with stone? Most posters esp those in diaspora have condemned our local food as fattening and yet we all parrot 'culture'

I guess we all choose the part of our culture to promote, Lol!

cheesy
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by hayubee(m): 12:47pm On Aug 06, 2013
clothes don't make a man, men made clothes -sir Bernard Shaw-
Look at the Arabs they always stand out wit their way of dressing very unique like wise d agbada, the igbo dressing even the whites admire our culture cos dirs not az rich as ours is.
And lastly civilization is not westernization, as a matter of facts civilization started in Africa

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Isiterere(m): 12:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
Smh for the op: such a lost African.
The moment the leader of the Vatican (POPE)start wearing suit,that day I will agree with the op.
Must we copied all what they do; when are we going to be free from this mental slavery?
You decided to wear suit, I chose to wear my native;any problem with that ?
OP abeg take your time...

4 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nebeuwa(m): 12:58pm On Aug 06, 2013
Rossikk: What a lousy, illiterate write-up by a colonised mental slave with no sense of dignity, self-worth, or independence.

The audacity this pig has to equate African attire with 'uncivilization' and western attire with 'civilization' alone is enough to confine him to a mental hospital for the severely reta.rded. Worse is his smug assurance that he can actually equate his self-hatred to some sort of 'enlightenment', positing that our traditional attire were created ''hundreds of years ago''. Well the western suit WAS invented 'hundreds of years ago' too, and, like African wear, has only been modified as the years progressed. Why can't this goat advocate a more 'work-friendly' transitional process for African wear if that's his thing, if not for his colonised self hatred? Just as this goat is happy to import his language, his religion, his eating habits, his car, he also wants to jettison his indigenous wear for imported clothes alone. How long before pigs like this begin to advocate for mass skin bleaching of all Africans to ensure we ''meet up'' with the light skinned colour of ''civilization''? It seems all we've got left to remind us of who we are is the skin colour. Don't bet against self-hating orang outangs and swine like this writer campaigning to shed that too.

Finally, the writer's claim that ''The wearing of cap is not indigenous to any ethnic group in Nigeria'' shows his GROSS HISTORICAL ILLITERACY, and that he is an absolute DUNCE where it concerns Nigerian/African history. A walking white dunce in black skin. An embarrassment to every living African, and a caricature representation of the bamboozled slave steeped in ignorance and self-loathing. The sooner his loathsome ilk die away from our independent society the better for us all.

This is the best post here! I tip my hat to you.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nebeuwa(m): 1:01pm On Aug 06, 2013
I do not know why any African would wear a suit in a tropical climate.

It looks funny just like Nigerian judges who wear those white wigs.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nebeuwa(m): 1:03pm On Aug 06, 2013
We should be proud of our traditional attire.

And I think we do not wear it enough. We should wear it everyday we go to work!

[img]http://4.bp..com/-tTQI9RaMvdc/UNBOPrkanuI/AAAAAAAAG24/iZoPwwWjjqs/s1600/obasanjo-jimi+carter.jpg[/img]

4 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 06, 2013
LOVE.HAPPINESS:

To be honest, if you think wearing a suit makes you less African, then you should take a close look at your life.

We practice Christianity and Islam in Nigeria, both are foreign imports.
We speak English in Nigeria, foreign import.
We use the Internet in Nigeria, foreign import.
We drive in Nigeria, a foreign import.

We teach our children engineering, advanced mathematics, and other things that are foreign imports.

Have we becomes less African? Should we give them all back and walk from Lagos to Abuja because it is the African way?

Did Rossik write his post in Yoruba, Hausa, or Igbo?
Did Achebe write Things Fall Apart in Igbo? Did it make him less African? Did it make the book less African?

We can keep our culture and still embrace change. We are the originators of the human race. Our forefathers conquered the planet and tamed the wild animals of the earth. They adapted and thrived wherever they went. We gave birth to the Europeans. If our ancestors never embraced change, we would still be wandering the planet naked with spears. Embracing change is in our DNA. I was born African. Wearing a suit does not change that, it can never change that.

Another freaking dumb post from you and the article's author. sad What has all what you just said got to do with the stu.pid policy proposed by the Lagos government? Some dolts on this site equate the use of suits to civilization and this drives me nuts!! Argggggggghhhh. angry You guys should focus more on explaining what is exactly wrong with the use of sensibly styled African attires at work. This whole thing is about mentality and it beats me to see matured and educated men like you completely lost and sold to a mentality that clearly doesn't make sense in the Nigerian context. People in different countries have the effing right to set what ever rules they want on whatever attires could be used at work. Tell me why setting something Afrocentric is a big problem for you. Tell me why you are all out to support the use of suits. Oh because that's what people in "civilized nations" use right?

Another garbage from people and their donkey mentality. Na follow follow go kill some people. SMDH angry

5 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Originalsly: 1:13pm On Aug 06, 2013
Like someone said...this policy would leave many unemployed and at the same time create jobs abroad. Which one of them would be wearing local suits? Which one of them would not be wearing top designer suits? If you think the food allowance is too high you need not learn about what the new clothing allowance will be.

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by MajeOfficial: 1:32pm On Aug 06, 2013
so this man looks smart

and this man looks what?...

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 06, 2013
Originalsly: Like someone said...this policy would leave many unemployed and at the same time create jobs abroad. Which one of them would be wearing local suits? Which one of them would not be wearing top designer suits? If you think the food allowance is too high you need not learn about what the new clothing allowance will be.

I am telling you bro, I really don't get how some Nigerians reason. With the way our people love foreign things I can only imagine the number of local tailoring jobs that would be affected by this. Besides how much do workers earn before they would spend time buying suits and all that crap. Why should it be mandatory to use foreign wares to work in a society like Nigerias (Lagos) ? And some people call it change, someone said "change is in our DNA." *sigh* I weep for our people's mentality man.

The last time I checked:
Availability of good roads, electricity, water, quality education and sanitation are the changes we would like to see, and not some silly-ass policy making foreign dress codes mandatory. Until we begin to look inwards; refining our cultures,values and applying them
to our societies today, Nigeria and Africa at large will remain one giant copycat. People should rid themselves of colonial mentality... trads too are good.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 06, 2013
so this man looks smart

and this man looks what?...

so what exactly is your point? You take a picture from the early 1900's and compare that with one from the 2000's? Have you no morals

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by defhenry(m): 1:42pm On Aug 06, 2013
My brother, if we are so brainwashed, why do we use cash and not cowries?y are you on a computer or mobile fone typing your opinion rather than arguing it out in the village square?y do we not trek to work or go on horses and camels?The truth is, the world is a global village, the sooner we learn to accept that the better for us.
Rossikk: What a lousy, illiterate write-up by a colonised mental slave with no sense of dignity, self-worth, or independence.

The audacity this pig has to equate African attire with 'uncivilization' and western attire with 'civilization' alone is enough to confine him to a mental hospital for the severely reta.rded. Worse is his smug assurance that he can actually equate his self-hatred to some sort of 'enlightenment', positing that our traditional attire were created ''hundreds of years ago''. Well the western suit WAS invented 'hundreds of years ago' too, and, like African wear, has only been modified as the years progressed. Why can't this goat advocate a more 'work-friendly' transitional process for African wear if that's his thing, if not for his colonised self hatred? Just as this goat is happy to import his language, his religion, his eating habits, his car, he also wants to jettison his indigenous wear for imported clothes alone. How long before pigs like this begin to advocate for mass skin bleaching of all Africans to ensure we ''meet up'' with the light skinned colour of ''civilization''? It seems all we've got left to remind us of who we are is the skin colour. Don't bet against self-hating orang outangs and swine like this writer campaigning to shed that too.

Finally, the writer's claim that ''The wearing of cap is not indigenous to any ethnic group in Nigeria'' shows his GROSS HISTORICAL ILLITERACY, and that he is an absolute DUNCE where it concerns Nigerian/African history. A walking white dunce in black skin. An embarrassment to every living African, and a caricature representation of the bamboozled slave steeped in ignorance and self-loathing. The sooner his loathsome ilk die away from our independent society the better for us all.

Ife noble wearing a cap, 12th century

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/306903_Benin_Art_2_jpgf1b2119836e93a9b113b5cd337a41008[/img]
Ancient Benin, 14th century

Igbo Ukwu Chief wearing cap, dated 12th century. This man is from the writer's own ethnic region/group.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 06, 2013
defhenry: My brother, if we are so brainwashed, why do we use cash and not cowries?y are you on a computer or mobile fone typing your opinion rather than arguing it out in the village square?y do we not trek to work or go on horses and camels? The truth is, the world is a global village, the sooner we learn to accept that the better for us.

It's the same atrociously dumb argument that I hate to hear. The world is a global village right? What have you decided to add to it?
Why must you always be on the receiving end of everything? Why exactly is the use of foreign wears at work readily acceptable to you? And the use of well-styled African attires just unacceptable? Hmmm I smell mentality issues here. Yes you are brainwashed, you are brainwashed because you see problems with anything originally African. You find it is simply not good enough. If these trads were being worn in Europe and suits originated from Africa, you will say exactly the same thing; " The world is now a global village so lets use traditional attires."

I actually fail to see the connection between the world's globalization and the policy Fashola's government just came up with. Your stance is completely weak and I am yet to see any sensible argument supporting the use of foreign wears on this thread. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by NaijaNaWaa: 1:48pm On Aug 06, 2013
Those local ethnic and religious garbs must be banished for public officials in their official public appearances. Whoever loves them should only adorn them in private.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 06, 2013

Ife noble wearing a cap, 12th century

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/306903_Benin_Art_2_jpgf1b2119836e93a9b113b5cd337a41008[/img]
Ancient Benin, 14th century

Igbo Ukwu Chief wearing cap, dated 12th century. This man is from the writer's own ethnic region/group.
AMEEEEEEEN

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by stildude(m): 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
Anvaller: [b]It's unfortunate that some people are hell bent on advocating for suits as official attire. This is a height of inferiority complex. U have given up to the white man and in ur brains, u can never initiate or innovate anything. In ur brains, all u have to do is just follow the white man. Instead of us to be discussing how to encourage or enforce wearing more smart traditional attires, u guys prefer not to think or innovate anything of ur own, instead u just want to abandon ur own stuff and copy white man's initiatives. We can never get anywhere this way until u start thinking with ur own brains and creating ur own brands.

If the white folks have the same mentality as urs, they would never be anywhere near where they are right now. They don't look up to anybody to solve their problems, they look within themselves and get things done but we look up to them and copy their solutions. This is pathetic and some of u are here speaking big grammars just as if that means u are smart. i am so disappointed.

Lagos state should have worked together with local designers and come up with an array of standard smart looking designs for officials within which they can choose from and anything outside the array will not be allowed. That is how u enforce uniformity and curb excesses like agbada. But u don't want to think, u don't want to create employment for ur local fashion industry, rather u prefer to always consume ready made initiatives even including stuffs as flimsy as clothes, u prefer to further enrich the likes of Louis Vuitton in Paris at the expense of ur own, that is black man mentality. That is why the white folks never see u as a threat like they see the middle east and China, they know u don't think. U guys need to think deep.[/b]

Let's face reality, Do you really think the so called african attire is better than the Chinese, Japs, or even Persians?. Still, these people have embraced globalization in every area of their life including the so called white man's clothes. The suit is still the most business-like attire in the global scheme. Nigerians have refused to move forward just because they will not drop hundreds of years of archaic and unproductive cultures and mentality including child marriage. I call that stupid pride. We copy the white man in almost everything even in their governance, yet, their mode of dressing is not good enough for us. One of these days, an african leader especially from Nigeria will be tripped by his own parachute in UN meeting. Then I hope we will change our mentality.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Anvaller: 2:13pm On Aug 06, 2013
defhenry: My brother, if we are so brainwashed, why do we use cash and not cowries?y are you on a computer or mobile fone typing your opinion rather than arguing it out in the village square?y do we not trek to work or go on horses and camels?The truth is, the world is a global village, the sooner we learn to accept that the better for us.

[b]This is for u and other similar arguments to urs on this topic. The problem with ppl like u is that u do not reason independently and critically, u only look at the trend in the mainstream and form ur reasoning, ur mentality and mindset on it. Meanwhile, innovators and inventors wouldn't have been able to do anything extraordinary if they didn't think beyond the ordinary and that is sadly the significant difference between white folks and black folks. The white folks are constantly trying to defy the status quo and establish a new one. By so doing, the new status quo becomes an invention. Meanwhile all a black man like u are willing to do is only adhere to status quo, by so doing u can never invent anything and the world is not willing to respect dull heads that can't innovate or invent.

There is a difference in adoption of technology and adoption of culture, if u embrace ur culture, it will inspire new inventions because ur passion for ur own culture will spark the desire to evolve it into a new phenomenon generation after generation and that will establish new inventions, that is how u invent and advance as a ppl.

All this mobile phone, internet etc u are talking about are irrelevant analogies, otherwise by ur ridiculous logic we should be able to conclude that the white man's adoption of railway technology is tantamount to trying to be Indians that invented it. But this same white man will never dress like an Indian man whose invention they have found indispensable in their sophisticated transportation. What about the UAE? have u not asked urself why are they the new age biggest consumer of most sophisticated technologies u can ever find and yet their culture, their identity and their brand is still sustained and subsisting? Well it is because they are using their brains, they are thinking, they don't feel inferior to the white man.

We need to move beyond thinking that just going to school and passing exams is only enough to pass smartness test.

Think beyond.[/b]

7 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 06, 2013
LOVE.HAPPINESS:

To be honest, if you think wearing a suit makes you less African, then you should take a close look at your life.

We practice Christianity and Islam in Nigeria, both are foreign imports.
We speak English in Nigeria, foreign import.
We use the Internet in Nigeria, foreign import.
We drive in Nigeria, a foreign import.
We teach our children engineering, advanced mathematics, and other things that are foreign imports.

Have we becomes less African? Should we give them all back and walk from Lagos to Abuja because it is the African way?

Did Rossik write his post in Yoruba, Hausa, or Igbo?
Did Achebe write Things Fall Apart in Igbo? Did it make him less African? Did it make the book less African?

We can keep our culture and still embrace change. We are the originators of the human race. Our forefathers conquered the planet and tamed the wild animals of the earth. They adapted and thrived wherever they went. We gave birth to the Europeans. If our ancestors never embraced change, we would still be wandering the planet naked with spears. Embracing change is in our DNA. I was born African. Wearing a suit does not change that, it can never change that.
Supported jare!
Don't mind them!
The day they r going for job interview,they should wear traditional naw.
Or they should tie two wrappers and buba like igbo women or tie and dye with asoke like yoruba and go to work so they will continue to uphold African culture.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by adorable29(f): 2:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
Anvaller: [b]It's unfortunate that some people are hell bent on advocating for suits as official attire. This is a height of inferiority complex. U have given up to the white man and in ur brains, u can never initiate or innovate anything. In ur brains, all u have to do is just follow the white man. Instead of us to be discussing how to encourage or enforce wearing more smart traditional attires, u guys prefer not to think or innovate anything of ur own, instead u just want to abandon ur own stuff and copy white man's initiatives. We can never get anywhere this way until u start thinking with ur own brains and creating ur own brands.

If the white folks have the same mentality as urs, they would never be anywhere near where they are right now. They don't look up to anybody to solve their problems, they look within themselves and get things done but we look up to them and copy their solutions. This is pathetic and some of u are here speaking big grammars just as if that means u are smart. i am so disappointed.

Lagos state should have worked together with local designers and come up with an array of standard smart looking designs for officials within which they can choose from and anything outside the array will not be allowed. That is how u enforce uniformity and curb excesses like agbada. But u don't want to think, u don't want to create employment for ur local fashion industry, rather u prefer to always consume ready made initiatives even including stuffs as flimsy as clothes, u prefer to further enrich the likes of Louis Vuitton in Paris at the expense of ur own, that is black man mentality. That is why the white folks never see u as a threat like they see the middle east and China, they know u don't think. U guys need to think deep.[/b]
lots of wisdom!Got me thinking!

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by antartica(m): 2:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
I can see why lagos state is trying to ban people from hanging their washed okrikas outside. Dressing like oyinbo caricatures in tropical heat is the kind of things that makes them see themselves as progressive,first class uppities.

What history books are they reading?
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by moodswing(m): 2:57pm On Aug 06, 2013
bukatyne: I sincerely believe it is a 'victim's mentality' to always want to 'prove' who you are. If Hilary Clinton wears Iro and Buba from now till next year, it does not make her African neither will a banker always be mistaken for a white because he/she decks suits even in bed cheesy

Culture as we were taught is a way of life encompassing dressing, language etc. so why are we so fixated on the dress part despite the fact that we have all of Friday - Sunday to wear it?

A lot of people who wear natives to represent 'Africa' always run abroad at slightest headache, do not use local(Made in Nigeria) stuffs, do not watch local channels, probably send their kids/school abroad etc. Some people wear dresses even to weddings. I wonder how many of us will decide to plait corn rows or didi without attachment. How many people still trek around? How many people are farmers or blacksmiths? How many people wear natives to a party? Or is sewing mini dresses with Ankara and show me your back them them now our culture? Is it the style we are fighting or the material? How many still grind with stone? Most posters esp those in diaspora have condemned our local food as fattening and yet we all parrot 'culture'

I guess we all choose the part of our culture to promote, Lol!

cheesy

This Your argument ehn. SENSELESS......

Don't equate culture (A way of life) with science, technology, innovation and development my friend.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by adorable29(f): 3:12pm On Aug 06, 2013
defhenry: My brother, if we are so brainwashed, why do we use cash and not cowries?y are you on a computer or mobile fone typing your opinion rather than arguing it out in the village square?y do we not trek to work or go on horses and camels?The truth is, the world is a global village, the sooner we learn to accept that the better for us.
Fine we are copyin them in all ds aspects you have mentioned. My plea is that we should hold on to this one aspect that we still hav a grasp on. We don't have to lose EVERYTHING!

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by bukatyne(f): 3:17pm On Aug 06, 2013
moodswing:

This Your argument ehn. SENSELESS......

Don't equate culture (A way of life) with science, technology, innovation and development my friend.

So sensible one, what does way of life mean? undecided

What did science, technology, innovation and development do?
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 06, 2013
stildude:

Let's face reality, Do you really think the so called african attire is better than the Chinese, Japs, or even Persians?. Still, these people have embraced globalization in every area of their life including the so called white man's clothes. 1) The suit is still the most business-like attire in the global scheme. Nigerians have refused to 2) move forward just because they will not drop hundreds of years of archaic and unproductive cultures and mentality including child marriage. I call that stupid pride. We copy the white man in almost everything even in their governance, 3) yet, their mode of dressing is not good enough for us. One of these days, an african leader especially from Nigeria will be tripped by his own parachute in UN meeting. 4) Then I hope we will change our mentality.

smh sad... another senseless post.

1) Most business-like? Are you kidding me? Where did you get your stats from?
2) What has child marriage got to do with the argument on this thread. So the use of suits and foreign wears indicates an acceptance of a "modern" and productive mentality to you? And people who wear well-designed trads are now unproductive and archaic?
3) "yet his mode of dressing is not good enough for "us" ", need I say more? You are suffering from acute personality disorder. What about your own mode of dressing Mr, what exactly is wrong with it? Oh I see, na black man make am, datz why shey?
4) Change our mentality to what? That of a slave who denies his own and clings unto that which isn't his, right?

Mr man go and check your mental state.... your points here make no sense at all. If you don't know what to say just watch from the sidelines.

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 06, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Supported jare!
Don't mind them!
The day they r going for job interview,they should wear traditional naw.
Or they should tie two wrappers and buba like igbo women or tie and dye with asoke like yoruba and go to work so they will continue to uphold African culture.

This is why people like you should just pocket your comments. Mr man do you know how much Nigerian attires have evolved? Do you know how far our fashion industry will go when we begin to patronize things that are ours? Pay a little attention to do the cool stuffs happening in the Fashion industry and see why I am vehemently against making the use of foreign wears mandatory. What the hell is wrong with you guys self? Nawa o.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 06, 2013
Anvaller:

[b]This is for u and other similar arguments to urs on this topic. The problem with ppl like u is that u do not reason independently and critically, u only look at the trend in the mainstream and form ur reasoning, ur mentality and mindset on it. Meanwhile, innovators and inventors wouldn't have been able to do anything extraordinary if they didn't think beyond the ordinary and that is sadly the significant difference between white folks and black folks. The white folks are constantly trying to defy the status quo and establish a new one. By so doing, the new status quo becomes an invention. Meanwhile all a black man like u are willing to do is only adhere to status quo, by so doing u can never invent anything and the world is not willing to respect dull heads that can't innovate or invent.

There is a difference in adoption of technology and adoption of culture, if u embrace ur culture, it will inspire new inventions because ur passion for ur own culture will spark the desire to evolve it into a new phenomenon generation after generation and that will establish new inventions, that is how u invent and advance as a ppl.

Think beyond.[/b]

Well said Mr, Well said. cool

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by bukatyne(f): 4:08pm On Aug 06, 2013
ekwah:

This is why people like you should just pocket your comments. Mr man do you know how much Nigerian attires have evolved? Do you know how far our fashion industry will go when we begin to patronize things that are ours? Pay a little attention to do the cool stuffs happening in the Fashion industry and see why I am vehemently against making the use of foreign wears mandatory. What the hell is wrong with you guys self? Nawa o.

Can you explain what is 'foreign Wears'

The cool stuffs happening in the fashion industry, are they not inspired by foreign concepts? Is it not foreign styles made with Ankara or is it the material that makes it African?

Let me guess, it is ok to sew a suit or dinner gown with Ankara right?
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by BabaTony: 4:25pm On Aug 06, 2013
Oh Africans. The difference is this. A white man will NEVER adopt hook line and sinker anything he has an alternative to but the black man will jettison what he has immediately he sees an alternative whether that thing is worse than his or not. I do not see how a suit and tie has all of a sudden become better than our traditional attires. All we have to do is to customise our attires to fit whatever job type we need to do. We need to protect thw cultural diversity and our economy. Ghandi in the 50s could not understand why their indigenous silk clothes were made in england while his fellow indians were dying of hunger because of lack if jobs. He called for a boycott if all english made clothes in india and everybody obeyed (impossible in Africa). The result was a drastic shutting down of those british factories due to losses. A whole Britain BEGGED Ghandi to come visit england to see the effect of the boycott in india. He went and told them that the number of his people back in india suffering is more than the few people suffering in england due to the boycott. India got indepedence 1 year later. Africans need to put on their thinking caps and come up with home grown solutions to our problems and not this MENTAL COLONIAL SLAVERY spewing all over Nairaland.

6 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by fulli16(m): 4:42pm On Aug 06, 2013
i have said it b4...now i will say it again.
make unah leave our lawmakers alone wen it cums 2 attire matters, cause if dey succumb nd request 4 allocations 4 dier wardrobes, we wld b d first 2 start ranting again.

abeg allow dog wey dey sleep make im sleep!
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Rossikk(m): 4:51pm On Aug 06, 2013
big deal 007:

Qatar , UAE are countries with very hot weather, I mean very hot and hotter than Sokoto and they don't dare wear anything other than suit for officially purpose. The point is we are not saying we should push our attire to the sides but official is official. Is like telling an engineer to wear agabada to the rig, or tell a doctor to wear kaftan to theatre etc. we can always find a balance like encouraging the African attire on specified days like Fridays. Indiscriminate wearing of attire for official purpose should be discouraged.

You are quick to mention those whom you claim abandoned their native wear for the white man's, as a means to justify your own renunciation. Why not mention those who have not, like the 2 billion+ Indians and Pakistanis, Saudis, Iranians, Sri Lankans et al? Are there up to 1 million people in Qatar? They all live in airconditioned luxury there, so they could wear winter coats all day long and not feel a thing. See, unlike you, they actually use their BRAINS in determining what they can appropriately get away with, unlike you who cannot think, cannot reason in your own interest, and only copy thoughtlessly out of inferiority complex even if your population will sweat to death in heat.

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Rossikk(m): 4:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
plaindealer:

Unfortunately for you and your ignorant rant, today's weather forecast in Japan is 89F, 82F in china and 82F in Nigeria with almost the same level of humidity so what's your silly point about weather got to do with anything?

Today, it's hotter in Japan than in Nigeria..

''Today'', it is probably hotter in ENGLAND than in Nigeria. Why? Because the temperate regions of the world are experiencing their usual two months a year SUMMER, after which they're back to the COLD. So using ''today's'' temperatures in Japan or China as opposed to their year-round temperature, shows you are a deceiver, but we are far smarter than you take us for.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Seun Kuti Blasts IBB ,mark, Says Jonathan Is The Worst President Ever / Dapo Abiodun Joins Mountain Of Fire (MFM), Shares Testimony (Photos) / NANS To Protest N145 Petrol Price Next Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.