Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,932 members, 7,814,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass (11977 Views)

Law School Staff In Accident In Edo State. (See Photos) / Fatal Accident On Benin Expressway (Graphic Photos) / Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Ggee(m): 4:13pm On Aug 06, 2013
I encountered them during the last Easter Friday. I was travelling from Benin to Akure. The mistake I made was that I slowed down for them. After wasting my time there, I drove away on top of their nail – thank God for tubeless tire. Pumped the tire at Owo and eventually changed it at Akure.
I chose that option because of outrageous money the guys were asking for fake papers. They were not there on my return journey on Sunday as I was prepared for them.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Lovetinz(m): 4:14pm On Aug 06, 2013
AmBeautiful: Try to ensure all ya papers and all necessary equipments required to be in a car, are complete in your car, ensure no one is missing and ensure you avoid carrying contraband and illegal things..... Hence no need to over speed just to avoid them
So that by the time they say:
Oga wey your fire extinguisher.... you bring it
Oga wey your particulars..... you bring it
Oga wey your Spanner ...... you bring it
Oga wey your jack.... you bring it
Oga wey your this..... you bring it
Oga wey your that.... you bring it
Oga wey your kpomo...... you bring it
Oga wey your kini..... you bring it
Oga wey you Spare Tire..... you bring it
Oga wey your lipsrsealed ..... you bring it
Oga stop and search, open boot ..... you stop and open boot
Oga wetin dey that bag ...... you open bag for them

Oga wey you everything ..... you bring everything

By the time they ask you for everything and you bring it, with nothing missing, NA THEM GO TIRE! The next thing you will hear is.... OGA DO WEEKEND FOR YOUR BOIS NA! HABA! cheesy
cheesy grin
**** DAYTIME THINGS, NO TRY THE ABOVE FOR NIGHT!

Oga This your Fire Extinguisher no get NAFDAC Number.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Ggee(m): 4:16pm On Aug 06, 2013
AmBeautiful: Try to ensure all ya papers and all necessary equipments required to be in a car, are complete in your car, ensure no one is missing and ensure you avoid carrying contraband and illegal things..... Hence no need to over speed just to avoid them

By the time they ask you for everything and you bring it, with nothing missing, NA THEM GO TIRE! The next thing you will hear is.... OGA DO WEEKEND FOR YOUR BOIS NA! HABA! cheesy

cheesy grin

The above is okay for the police boys on the highway. Those guys are not interested in these items. Only some fake papers ...
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Akaraiwe(m): 4:26pm On Aug 06, 2013
Seriously,in this present age,what's the meaning of "radio permit","gas emission", "loading and offloading " for private cars. Even if it's for commercial vehicles,there should be a single way of unifying it.
If any government official,or a relative to one on government is reading this,please do something about this.
It's frustrating owning a private bus or "cabby" eish!,you do vehicle license,road worthiness, driver license,insurance....yet you pay almost N12,000 for about 6 stickers from the local government namely "waste basket","offloading and loading","advertisement(even if you don't have one),"radio permit" and others I can't remember.
These archaic laws/ways of generating revenue should be revisited and unified.
Greater Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by mclaw007: 4:29pm On Aug 06, 2013
Personally I have encountered them, the first time i fall mugu 2010 and the second time i almost killed one of them because the secrete is that they are looking out for first timers to devour them. Just keep a straight face and do not reduce your speed instead accelerate more they will never bother chasing you.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by MrAboki: 4:38pm On Aug 06, 2013
Pull up
Roll your windows down

and

Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by ping2ping: 5:12pm On Aug 06, 2013
For people saying you increase your speed to avoid them or try to kill one of them, i want to let you know that the place where these guys stay is at a dangerous bend that you CANNOT navigate at even 100km/h. Unless you are prepared, you will NOT see them once you start to negotiate that bend and you must slow down because the bend is sharp.

I once encountered them while traveling from Akure to Benin through Owo. Because it is straight road though very rough, immediately i sighted them from afar, i wound up, put my full light and increase my speed not minding the nature of the road. They came with their wood affixed with 6" nails but when they notice i had no intention of slowing down a bit, they ran for their lives. But on the Benin by-pass, they stay along a sharp bend that you CANNOT drive at that kind of speed. I really don't know what they ask from their victims but nobody would want to fall prey to those criminals.

I think the best thing to do like somebody has already suggested is to take the right turn before the bridge as if you are going to Benin, drive up towards Benin and then take any available turn to join the the lane that will take you through by-pass. You will need to do the same thing when you want to join Benin - Asaba highway from the Benin by-pass because another set of those task force also stays along that sharp bend.

Alternatively, drive pass the bridge as if you are going to Warri, get to the next available space where you can turn to the other lane as if you are going back. Once you get close to the bridge, take your right and join the by-pass. Do same while joining the Benin - Asaba highway from the by-pass. PREVENTION THEY SAY IS BETTER THAN CURE!!!

The next time i will travel i will try to take snap shots of these places to help people take care and know what exactly to do to have a smooth trip

4 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Tinasunday: 5:20pm On Aug 06, 2013
Those boys are animals in human skin.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 06, 2013
stagger: I will like to see how they will stand my SUV speeding at 160 km per hour.
they will throw their baton with nails on your path, you will hit it, burst your tires, lose control, fly off the road and die.

They will simply park their load and close for the day or maybe a week.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:43pm On Aug 06, 2013
blink182: they will throw their baton with nails on your path, you will hit it, burst your tires, lose control, fly off the road and die.

hahha h ah ahhha ahaah grin grin grin laughing @bolded
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by skyface00(m): 5:49pm On Aug 06, 2013
grin cryWow how do u knw so much,I guess u must be one of dem

cheesy grin

Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by eminikansoso(m): 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
blink182: they will throw their baton with nails on your path, you will hit it, burst your tires, lose control, fly off the road and die.

most SUV are with tubeless tyres
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 06, 2013
eminikan soso:
most SUV are with tubeless tyres
good point, now does it make sense to settle these miscreants or replace at least 2 SUV tubeless tires? And you had better drive far from them, should you stop close by, they will run after you and break your wind screen.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by tnktosin(m): 6:37pm On Aug 06, 2013
euniself@yahoo.:
To me o, i will say that u should get all ur papers ready so that they will not delay ur journey unnecessarily. This people just want to spoil Oshiomole's government.
What is this one saying? Dude i live in benin and these guys have been there for long, its Oshiomole's inaction thats bringing him disrepute. He should get those touts off the road (Ring road inclusive).
Back to topic, i've driven from lagos to delta state countless times, you find these guys in other states as well even in Lagos (Epe axis). Don't ever, i repeat don't ever stop them, they are criminals. I've nearly ran a group of them around that Benin bypass, God save them that day cos i ready kill dem without stopping. In a nation of MUMUs, don't fall a victim.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by tnktosin(m): 6:40pm On Aug 06, 2013
ping2ping: For people saying you increase your speed to avoid them or try to kill one of them, i want to let you know that the place where these guys stay is at a dangerous bend that you CANNOT navigate at even 100km/h. Unless you are prepared, you will NOT see them once you start to negotiate that bend and you must slow down because the bend is sharp.

I once encountered them while traveling from Akure to Benin through Owo. Because it is straight road though very rough, immediately i sighted them from afar, i wound up, put my full light and increase my speed not minding the nature of the road. They came with their wood affixed with 6" nails but when they notice i had no intention of slowing down a bit, they ran for their lives. But on the Benin by-pass, they stay along a sharp bend that you CANNOT drive at that kind of speed. I really don't know what they ask from their victims but nobody would want to fall prey to those criminals.

I think the best thing to do like somebody has already suggested is to take the right turn before the bridge as if you are going to Benin, drive up towards Benin and then take any available turn to join the the lane that will take you through by-pass. You will need to do the same thing when you want to join Benin - Asaba highway from the Benin by-pass because another set of those task force also stays along that sharp bend.

Alternatively, drive pass the bridge as if you are going to Warri, get to the next available space where you can turn to the other lane as if you are going back. Once you get close to the bridge, take your right and join the by-pass. Do same while joining the Benin - Asaba highway from the by-pass. PREVENTION THEY SAY IS BETTER THAN CURE!!!

The next time i will travel i will try to take snap shots of these places to help people take care and know what exactly to do to have a smooth trip
Nice one man. Very valid points.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by eddy42k(m): 7:04pm On Aug 06, 2013
These guys are everywhere but are not meant to stop suv s or cars.but pickup.eg tundra titan frontier any form of pickup. I drive a Nissan frontier and and used to seeing dem everywhere .I have all the papers Dey ask including drivers badge, radio permit ,waste disposal permit and many other nonsense papers.they are even in lekki.like I said u Will know dem if u drive a pickup.for the cars and suv s.it wrong.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Lawalemi(m): 7:18pm On Aug 06, 2013
These guys arrested me in 2007 for some sort of reflective stickers. The VIO men around snubbed me while beckoning on them for rescue.
It's bad that this trend has continued unchecked
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by ogtavia(m): 7:46pm On Aug 06, 2013

cheesy grin

actually this kinda works,they are really terrible,travelled with my parents to Benin earlier in d year for a programme in UNIBEN,prior to dt time,my dad had invited one of them,paid his transportation to and fro (guess one of d ogas @ d top) to his office thru a traditional ruler he knows in Benin,he asked for a comprehensive list of all d papers they ask for,obnoxious things like sanitary paper,radio,tax,environmental,waste so many outrageous docs like that and he paid for everything,it cost #8000 altogether,d day came and we left for Benin,we got to that spot and they stopped us and asked us to park,those guys wont deny they arent ex-criminals like highway robbers,thieves,car snatchers,they are very wicked,so the introduced themselves,told us abt all d papers we didnt pay and must pay for before we leave,it totaled say #50000,their eyes turn when my dad brought out all d papers,plus d vehicle papers(which they dont have a right to see or ask for) and showed it to them,omo they went dumb,but still they wanted to prove smart,they invented another stupid paper which we didnt have,at this point my dad called d man who came to d office,one of them had a very hot exchange of words with him,finally the man said they should let us go and ended d call,one of them said,whether you like it or not,you must pay for that paper,if we let u go here,they will stop u infront(they have two roadblocks one before d bridge,they other one on or immediately after d bridge,tho they usually have scouts ahead who will call immediately they see a potential car to stop,once he sees you,he calls ahead to tell them to get ready,if u leave the first place,this process repeats itself at d nxt point),we entered d vehicle,but now the driver was already pissed off with one of them so he was angry,we continued on our way,but now the driver was going fast,approaching the second bridge,believing the first guys we met had called d second set guys,even tho we believed their scout had seen us also,the driver increased his speed,faced them,it was a brave attempt,cos one of them was standing in the middle of the road with that dangerous stick covered in nails,but as soon as he saw the speeding vehicle plus d type of vehicle,i believe he developed cold feet and couldnt drop d stick,although we were helped by d fact that they have stopped one vehicle and were ''attending'' to it and maybe didnt have enough time to prepare for us, and also by the fact that those guys we first met would have told them about the complete papers we had,so they had no choice,the invented paper wont stick,so we sped past them as they flew off the road,we heaved a sigh of relief and thanked God,continued on our journey but on our way back around 4pm we didnt see them..the catch is,be prepared for them,if u regularly travel on dt road,cos they charge high,nothing less than btwn 20-30 thousand naira get all their papers beforehand,I believe the Edo state gov knows abt them but cant stop them,maybe its an agreement by way of settling them,they charge all things all a daily basis and the roads are bad,they must have settled d police to be able to operate freely,i wont be surprised if they all those guys own big houses and drive big cars,...
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by lonelydora: 8:11pm On Aug 06, 2013
Fajzay:

Seriously You must be a snail driver!!! 120KM/Hr . Jeez ... Normal speed without any situation like this is even around 150/160Km/hr. Let alone if I see any strange movement. Infact I wont even see them as I would have zapped away with noticing them.lol
As in from slowing down(from afar) to 120km/hr. My normAl cruising speed is 140km/hr. I drive a 3.0L V6 car.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by fedimol: 8:14pm On Aug 06, 2013
Those guys are crazy. They took 7K from us. Are they legit?
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by papil: 9:10pm On Aug 06, 2013

cheesy grin

it's as if U̶̲̥̅̊ don't knw dis guys,dey only demand 4 one particular emblem they knw U̶̲̥̅̊ don't hav,best option na usain bolt or did I hear U̶̲̥̅̊ say blessing okagbere
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by papil: 9:13pm On Aug 06, 2013

cheesy grin

it's as if U̶̲̥̅̊ don't knw dis guys,dey only demand 4 one particular emblem they knw U̶̲̥̅̊ don't hav,best option na usain bolt or did I hear U̶̲̥̅̊ say blessing okagbere
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by gbokukueba(m): 9:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
Nigeria is really a lawless country honestly even at Agbara you see all these touts stoping private official buses and asking for absurd documents if not for say my compnay frown upon unruly behaviour while on company business we would have beaten the guys to stupour foolish smelly boys angry
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 06, 2013
I encountered those fools 3 yrs ago at the benin/asaba axis. The parked my suv and asked for radio permit. It was around 4pm and I dont want to enter eko at night. I came out with my handset as if I was making a call and asked one of them where is the nearest army barracks. He did not answer me and I started going towards the express leading to benin city and they called me back and asked me what I wanted. I said let me go. I called their Oga and told him that I am a special assistant to a governor and I am on assignment to drop a Pastor in Lagos. As I was about to leave, I gave them 200naira and gave their Oga a fake phone number and he was happy that he has gotten a connection to government house and I sped off. He gave me his number and said I should call whenever I am on that bypass so he can always clear the road for me. Them be mugu. Hope they are reading this thread.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by cecegorz(m): 10:16pm On Aug 06, 2013
Those guys are a bunch of criminalized touts! They pounce on unsuspecting motorists at those sharp bends where they know you will slow down.
I'm planning to drive on that route very soon, but i'll make my journey on a weekend so they won't be there. Else i'll knock 'em down if they try anything funny.
I know my company usually gets those papers annually for about 15k on official cars, which covers sundry levies from virtually all the states in the south, but for my private car? I can't do that.
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: All dat no go work with edo people. Simply dress like a witch doctor and paint your face. Carry a moulded statue with pointed nipples and sharp teeth and wrap it in a red cloth in the back seat of your car. Dem nor born dem well
WAT AN IMPRUDENT WORDS 4M U
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by 46arcadez(m): 11:38pm On Aug 06, 2013
Kill the ones u can kill wit ur car if they dare to block u and zoom off, dnt eva stop. Kip comin lik a charged bull in a fight and they must clear. (Make sure ur front is free b4 u applied this method).
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by lastpage: 4:21am On Aug 07, 2013
Hmmm. this Nigeria sef!

So, the ONLY solution to this problem is to KILL THE MISCREANTS?

The other day when one driver killed a LASTMA official, all you people where condemning the Driver!
probably he is one of the drivers who took this advice here?

But then, if these criminals dont give us a choice and the State Governors are collecting RETURNS from the criminals, we have no choice than to take our destiny into our own hands!

I SAY RUN THEM OVER joor! angry angry
Nigeria is a JUNGLE!

Lastpage!
Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 07, 2013
ping2ping: I traveled to the Onitsha recently from Lagos and saw this so called task force people as you turn from the Benin - Ore highway to the Benin By-Pass and as you turn from Benin By-Pass to Benin - Asaba highway. They were about eight in number carrying various weapons waiting for unsuspecting motorists especially private cars. I saw some cars being held up their by these guys. It seems they don't stop commercial buses.

How can somebody travelling on that road with his private car avoid the trouble of such miscreants? Personal experiences will be appreciated.

I've encountered those tiffs plenty times and I call them tiffs cos dey use woods fitted with sharp nails to tear ur tyre if you try evading them. U can avoid dem by following this simple idea. If u observe, dey only stand @ d section wen descending d flyovers @ d bypass roads on lag-benin road and benin-asaba road. So when u're approaching those flyovers, slowdown and keep to your right, look out ur window, u shld be able to see if they are @ their usual positions (even if u're driving a volkswagen bug)! If they are stationed there, don't try being James Bond on wheels, don't decend the flyover but drive straight, u'll see a u-turn along the highways (abt 200mtrs) from the flyover! Turn there and drive home safely! U won't see them @ d other location cos they believe ppl coming from dat side of the road are their edo brothers coming from within the state. If u are very observant, u'll notice some sharp drivers doing same when those touts are on d road.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Men Of Edo State Task Force On Benin By-pass by rodbel(m): 8:39am On Aug 07, 2013
Osama10: I drove past that road last September but I did not see them.

The best way is to be ready to hit them,they would fly from the road calling you a witch. grin

Xactly...same thing our driver did. You need to see the way they ran from the road.... cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender / Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? / 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.