Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State (1217 Views)

Married Zimbabwean Woman And Nigerian Lover Get Stuck During Sex / How Do You Cope With A Wicked Mother In-law In The Same House?? / Marriage of an Educated Woman and Uneducated Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by ekytessy(f): 7:48am On Aug 06, 2013
There's a new Domestic Violence Law in Lagos State, and it states that if you beat your wife, you will go to Jail. It is now an offense for any man to hit his wife.

According to the deputy governor of Lagos State, Hon Joke Orelope-Adefulire, the Domestic Violence Law is made not only to protect women who are most times the target of violence in the home but also to safeguard the interest of men, children, servants, maids and everyone who may be a victim of domestic violence.

In case of man/woman abuse issues, it does not matter whether there's a valid contracted marriage between the victim and the perpetrator of the act as long as they are living together in a home setting. Continue...

Here's what happens when there's a case of domestic violence.
1. Remove the abuser from the home pending when the abuse is corrected
2. Or remove the complainant from the residence and put in a protective home
3. Provision of financial assistance by the state via the Office of the Public Defender/Legal Aid Council to victims of abuse who maybe financially unable to seek redress in court.
4. The court can issue warrant of arrest and remand order
http://www.tundeola.com/2013/08/hit-your-woman-in-lagos-and-go-to-jail.html#more
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by ekytessy(f): 7:52am On Aug 06, 2013
Dis is wat nigerian senators suppose to pass into bill and not yarima and under marriage children, dats gud but ladies don't take advantage of dis and being disobedient and naughty, it won't count.
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by olas24u(f): 8:03am On Aug 06, 2013
There must be an evidence,verbal statements may not help the women.Now the bashing will be indoors.
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by bellong: 8:10am On Aug 06, 2013
This is a welcome development. I only hope it will not go the path of other laws with no enforcement.
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by biolabee(m): 8:32am On Aug 06, 2013
This is good but in my opinion there is no sustainable enabling environment - justice system, police, ngos to rehabilitate the abused.
All this will lead to issues

I know of a sole income family man who abuses his wife

Yet the company has policies to fire such incidents

Will the woman report her husband and live in penury..

Cows will jump over the moon first

Hahahaha
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by mgbeketoto: 8:41am On Aug 06, 2013
It must really be bad in THE WILD WILD WEST OF BEASTS! grin
Lagos! The HQ of BATTERED PooCs! cheesy
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by jmoore(m): 9:03am On Aug 06, 2013
If the man is beaten up by his wife, what will happen?

I guess the man should go to jail too for being such a weakling grin
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 06, 2013
jmoore: If the man is beaten up by his wife, what will happen?

I guess the man should go to jail too for being such a weakling grin
It says in the OP that the law protects both spouses.
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:13am On Aug 06, 2013
Good. I hate domestic violence.
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by jmoore(m): 9:13am On Aug 06, 2013
fresh_dude: It says in the OP that the law protects both spouses.

just a sense of humour...
Re: Hit Your Woman And Go To Jail - New Domestic Violence Law In Lagos State by jmoore(m): 9:14am On Aug 06, 2013
Many women will never report to the police, why? "I love him"

(1) (Reply)

Advice To The Ladies- Why Some Marraiges Failed! / Has Any Of Your Childhood Friends Helped You In Life? / My Family Needs Your Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.