Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5966163 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1108) (1109) (1110) (1111) (1112) (1113) (1114) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 4:02pm On Apr 22, 2017
61mech:

The 90mm had a canister round that was devastating against infantry.
You need a mix of 20-30mm and 76-90-105mm for a good fire belt shoot.
In my opinion the SANDF made a mistake in selecting the 30mm for the fire support Badger. They should have used the old 90mm with 2x igwe's in that turret. They are saying the 60mm can be elevated low for that job, but it doesn't always occupy the battlespace where that's needed.

For coin, you can't do much better than a Rooikat 76. Just enough firepower to get the job done and a big ammo loadout for long endurance missions to hunt down/outflank technicals that would struggle to outrun or outshoot it.

I find the 90mm an odd gun in modern battlefields. You either have formal armies using heavy armour that a 90mm can't penetrate or you have guys running around with Toyota bakkies that you'll have a hard time shooting with a 90mm. It's either you have a 76mm and below or 105mm and above.

As for the 30mm SANDF selection, I think it's a perfect choice as you would have noticed that the world now uses a 25/30mm as standard.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:47pm On Apr 22, 2017
ActivateKruger:

I find the 90mm an odd gun in modern battlefields. You either have formal armies using heavy armour that a 90mm can't penetrate or you have guys running around with Toyota bakkies that you'll have a hard time shooting with a 90mm. It's either you have a 76mm and below or 105mm and above.

As for the 30mm SANDF selection, I think it's a perfect choice as you would have noticed that the world now uses a 25/30mm as standard.

Same round as the A10
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 22, 2017
Airborne360:
boss I am on standby oh, also watching on TV too. Someone has to keep watch cheesy.

We dey here dey think say u(our guy) 4 dey air with the Aggressors, dey show some made skills. cheesy cheesy

Only for us to see u dey browse nairaland.com with the rest of us. grin grin

Airborne360, see eh, u no try. Maybe we go change ur moniker to "TVborne360" or "Nairalandborne360". grin grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 22, 2017
Mobile toilets been transferred to TAC for NAF Day 2017

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 5:11pm On Apr 22, 2017
Henry240:

10 years is even far. I give them 8 years, if they keep at it. As soon as computer aided become available, products would be better.

Take a typical example, Nigeria. The Igirigi APC launched in 2013 was so butt ugly, however the operational vehicle which was seen in combat in 2014 was a vast improvement which could compete with other LAVs available in the market.

Today, we have MRAPs and other types of military/law enforcement vehicles available. It only took us 4 years.

I'm very open when I disagree with you for talking nonsense, e.g stop making sh1t up. But this time I'm honestly just talking from a point of genuine concern.

Any 3rd year mechanical engineering student is meant to be well versed in using CAD. At most universities it is a mandatory part of the course. By 4th year level they are meant to be able to produce drawings that can be sent to any manufacturer in the world. Their models must be at a standard that can be directly uploaded into F.E.A software to analyse forces & deformations.

It then begs the question...who exactly is being hired to design and produce the likes of Igirigi APC? CAD is not meant to be an 8 years thing, it's meant to be a yesterday thing. Those troops could be in a death trap under certain conditions.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 22, 2017
NAF

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 5:18pm On Apr 22, 2017
Henry240:

We dey here dey think say u(our guy) 4 dey air with the Aggressors, dey show some made skills. cheesy cheesy

Airborne360, see eh, u no try. Maybe we go change ur moniker to "TVborne360" or "Nairalandborne360". grin grin

The guy jakes got the video from his IG will be there. You he's the one who sent me the mi-35 picture. Jakes can ask him for pictures.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 22, 2017
tdayof:

The guy jakes got the video from his IG will be there. You he's the one who sent me the mi-35 picture. Jakes can ask him for pictures.

jakeporeshenko:
NAF

Jake, we need pictures man. The Air Force hasn't responded yet. Until they do, we need your assistance.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SealTeam6: 5:25pm On Apr 22, 2017
jakeporeshenko:
NAF
So u blur out only ur own face ? That's not good
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 5:25pm On Apr 22, 2017
61mech:

The 90mm had a canister round that was devastating against infantry.
You need a mix of 20-30mm and 76-90-105mm for a good fire belt shoot.
In my opinion the SANDF made a mistake in selecting the 30mm for the fire support Badger. They should have used the old 90mm with 2x igwe's in that turret. They are saying the 60mm can be elevated low for that job, but it doesn't always occupy the battlespace where that's needed.

For coin, you can't do much better than a Rooikat 76. Just enough firepower to get the job done and a big ammo loadout for long endurance missions to hunt down/outflank technicals that would struggle to outrun or outshoot it.

The armour guys need a light armour capability to replace the Ratel-90.

I always opposed putting or using Infantry combat vehicles as part of the light armour capability in the defence besides they have a larger silhouettes.

I hope they add advanced sensors on the fire support variant.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:32pm On Apr 22, 2017
ssaengine:

I'm very open when I disagree with you for talking nonsense, e.g stop making sh1t up. But this time I'm honestly just talking from a point of genuine concern.

Any 3rd year mechanical engineering student is meant to be well versed in using CAD. At most universities it is a mandatory part of the course. By 4th year level they are meant to be able to produce drawings that can be sent to any manufacturer in the world. Their models must be at a standard that can be directly uploaded into F.E.A software to analyse forces & deformations.

It then begs the question...who exactly is being hired to design and produce the likes of Igirigi APC? CAD is not meant to be an 8 years thing, it's meant to be a yesterday thing. Those troops could be in a death trap under certain conditions.
Are you sure you read my post right?

...because if you did, this should not be your response. Or, you chose to read what you felt like reading and not what i actually posted?

Another genuine question, have you seen the Igirigi, and if you have, can you post it?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 22, 2017
SealTeam6:

So u blur out only ur own face ? That's not good
That's not my face.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 22, 2017
Henry240:

Jake, we need pictures man. The Air Force hasn't responded yet. Until they do, we need your assistance.
We have to ransack the interconnected net and get in touch with all contacts. I'm sure Dakingsman has somthing
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 22, 2017
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2017
Henry240:

lolz cheesy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2017
jakeporeshenko:
NAF

https://twitter.com/jakepor21/status/855823732237103104

It's a nice rehearsal video, but short.

Did you see that at least one of the ATR-42 is spotting a new Camo?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:00pm On Apr 22, 2017
Henry240:

I didn't watch the actual thing live, I only saw the video streamed on NAF Facebook page
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 6:00pm On Apr 22, 2017
Henry240:

I saw it. The man said light transport aircraft. Hope we're not using them for transport?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:11pm On Apr 22, 2017
tdayof:

I saw it. The man said light transport aircraft. Hope we're not using them for transport?

What he said was the ATR-42 is an ISR aircraft and is also used as a light transport aircraft.

It's a secondary role, nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

On the MI-17, he said they can engage targets from 22 miles.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 6:20pm On Apr 22, 2017
Henry240:

What he said was the ATR-42 is an ISR aircraft and is also used as a light transport aircraft.

It's a secondary role, nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

On the MI-17, he said they can engage targets from 22 miles.
from 22miles , with which kind weapons

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:27pm On Apr 22, 2017
giles14:
from 22miles , with which kind weapons

Except i heard wrong, i'm pretty sure he said 22miles. The type of weapon wasn't mentioned.

You can go view the video and confirm for yourself.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 6:28pm On Apr 22, 2017
Henry240:

Are you sure you read my post right?

...because if you did, this should not be your response. Or, you chose to read what you felt like reading and not what i actually posted?

Another genuine question, have you seen the Igirigi, and if you have, can you post it?

"As soon as computer aided become available, products would be better."

If you can provide a two sentence reply as to what this means. This is what i based my reply on. I don't mind saying if I'm wrong.

I was talking about the 2013 "butt ugly" Igirigi. The software was available then too.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:32pm On Apr 22, 2017
Fidha254:
hahaha, I doubt it was drawn on a computer, that one was done by hand...
But everyone has to become from somewhere right, if they keep it up in 10-15years they may have a decent industry... I see the potential

Saengine this is the comment i responded to. With the possibility that the Tanzanian vehicle was hand drawn, I gave my opinion.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:32pm On Apr 22, 2017
tunisian GIP

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 22, 2017
NAF

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 6:53pm On Apr 22, 2017
ssaengine:

Just say bad CAD skills. Just like the Airbus Beluga, ugly aircraft but it's serving it's purpose.

If a CAD design of this aircraft is being uploaded into FEA to analyse, result will show alot of deformations but those guys at Airbus won't agree.

Is igirigi serving it's purpose effectively? yes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 22, 2017
ssaengine:

"As soon as computer aided become available, products would be better."

If you can provide a two sentence reply as to what this means. This is what i based my reply on. I don't mind saying if I'm wrong.

I was talking about the 2013 "butt ugly" Igirigi. The software was available then too.

You completely misunderstood my comment and you went further to make an unnecessary aggressive post, which if i had responded in a like manner, would have led to an unnecessary derailment of this thread.

You and i and many others have been in this thread since 2013, in that time i have posted at least 50 photos of the Igirigi.

I've also shared CAD designs of the vehicle in this thread. Search for "Chronos studios" right here in this site.

My post simply was to show that what we saw in 2013 was just a development process, which lead to an actual market competitive LAV in 2014. As at 2016 we now have alot of locally produced military and law enforcement vehicles that agencies in Nigeria and other parts of Africa have picked from. Infact in 2015 we secured a contract from a French government agency to supply armoured vehicles to an unnamed African country. We achieved this in 4 years.

My comment was merely in support of the Tanzanian developmental process. That your response showed a simple lack of basic understanding is an understatement.

Infact bros, just have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 22, 2017
Photos from Nigeria Air Force capability demonstration held yesterday

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 22, 2017
More

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nok234: 7:00pm On Apr 22, 2017
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2017

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nok234: 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2017
Henry240:
Photos from Nigeria Air Force capability demonstration held yesterday
What is on the hilux ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1108) (1109) (1110) (1111) (1112) (1113) (1114) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.