Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,317 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1334) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5986807 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1331) (1332) (1333) (1334) (1335) (1336) (1337) ... (2844) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 5:17pm On Aug 14, 2017
ActivateKruger:

If the SANDF had a bigger budget, one wonders all the things the CSIR would be researching.

Anyways, who still remembers the "stealth tracking" CSIR passive radar?

Work on passive radar to track stealth aircraft is still on- going at CSIR. But they are also working on commercial utilization of the technology. The commercial application is what you'll hear them talk about most at conferences. Military application of such technology will probably fall under the likes of Link-ZA crypto codes in terms of government secrecy, so Nairaland won't hear much about that unfortunately.

So to summarize, they aren't working on it with the express view that someone with stealth aircraft will attack us soon, but they are well aware of its applications and someone somewhere is working on it.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fynline(m): 6:22pm On Aug 14, 2017

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
Big Bird radar of an Algerian S300 PMU2

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 10:26am On Aug 15, 2017
The SADF Paras

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 4:20pm On Aug 15, 2017
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 15, 2017
SAAF Gripen Credit. Gerard Griessel

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 6:18pm On Aug 15, 2017
jakeporeshenko:
SAAF Gripen Credit. Gerard Griessel

All previously shared by GreenandGold wink

But thanks
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:26pm On Aug 15, 2017
ActivateKruger:

All previously shared by GreenandGold wink

But thanks
Haha it’s better when you post everything in one go, I’ll show you.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 15, 2017
SAAF Oryx. Photo Credit Gerard Griessel and Pakisa Tsekiso

GreenandGold, seee?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 15, 2017

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by cutievik: 7:40pm On Aug 15, 2017
jakeporeshenko:
Nigerian Army launches special Mobile Strike Force to crush Boko Haram

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/240327-nigerian-army-launches-special-mobile-strike-force-crush-boko-haram.html/amp
these guys are getting me angry I swear!! It's not only about manpower we are the gadgets to combat this menace.."mix of equipment my foot"..

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Litmus: 8:00pm On Aug 15, 2017

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 15, 2017
cutievik:
these guys are getting me angry I swear!! It's not only about manpower we are the gadgets to combat this menace.."mix of equipment my foot"..
Spot on, in fact we are now in a critical stage of the fight, we either finish them once and for all or they refocus their efforts and regroup with a difference strategy, this is something we have witnessed severally in the past.

Annoying past is the key to ending this war lie in some low cost solutions the military seem to overlook.

•We were discussing human intelligence in bidexiii’s thread.

• SOF Night time raids, these will be so effective because 99% of the enemies fighters don’t have access to NVGs or even night fighting experience.

•targeting and assassinating key leader one after the other.

•going after their finances and smuggling routes.

Of course all these things mentioned above do not fall on the army alone, all the stakeholders in the NE need to create scenery and work like a team.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 9:25pm On Aug 15, 2017
sudan air force

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 9:29pm On Aug 15, 2017
Former Al-Shabaab deputy leader surrenders

Former Al-Shabaab deputy leader and spokesman Mukhtar Robow Ali surrendered to Somali authorities on Sunday, according to a state official.

Robow, a co-founder of the Somali terrorist group, turned himself over to authorities in the town of Hudur, 400 kilometers southwest of Mogadishu, said Hassan Hussein Mohamed, minister of internal security for south west state.
Robow, also called "Abu Mansur," left Al-Shabaab in 2013 after falling out with its leader Ahmed Abdi Godane, who was killed a year later, in September 2014, in a US drone strike.
According to the US Department of State, Robow, born in 1969, had served as an al-Shabaab spokesperson and also served as the group's spiritual leader.
Robow and his loyalists had been battling Al-Shabaab militants in his hometown of Abal after initiating talks with the Somali government for his surrender http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/13/africa/al-shabaab-robow-surrenders/index.html
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 10:25pm On Aug 15, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

Spot on, in fact we are now in a critical stage of the fight, we either finish them once and for all or they refocus their efforts and regroup with a difference strategy, this is something we have witnessed severally in the past.

Annoying past is the key to ending this war lie in some low cost solutions the military seem to overlook.

• SOF Night time raids, these will be so effective because 99% of the enemies fighters don’t have access to NVGs or even night fighting experience.

Of course all these things mentioned above do not fall on the army alone, all the stakeholders in the NE need to create scenery and work like a team.
Spot on bro

I don't know who made them relent I know of a fact back in late 2015 raids by SOF teams were going on every other day it just seem like we've gone back to the responsive days instead of being proactive
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:43pm On Aug 15, 2017
Odunayaw:
Spot on bro

I don't know who made them relent I know of a fact back in late 2015 raids by SOF teams were going on every other day it just seem like we've gone back to the responsive days instead of being proactive
Fear not bro I believe the military realizes this.

On a lighter note refocusing of efforts

UPDATE: MOBILE STRIKE TEAMS LAUNCHED TO ENHANCE OPERATION LAFIYA DOLE

In what could best be described as a turning point in the ongoing clearance operations in the North East, today, Tuesday 15th August 2017, the Theatre Commander Operation LAFIYA DOLE, Major General Ibrahim Attahiru, launched 3 Mobile Strike Teams (MST) at the Military Command and Control Centre, Maimalari Military Cantonment, Maiduguri, Borno State. The teams are designed to conduct long range patrols and ambushes deep into the hinterland. It is a mixed of professionally trained special forces mobile with variants of equipment on wheels.

The Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE charged the teams to be discipline, confident, resolute, focused and determined in their task of clearing the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists wherever they are found.

It would be recalled that the MST were trained at Nigerian Army School of Special Forces (NASFS), Buni Yadi, Yobe State recently. Their task is to keep the main supply route and all rural settlements safe.

The launch of the MSTs was attended by the Chief of Civil Military Affairs Army Headquarters, Major General Nuhu Angbazo, Component Commanders of Operation LAFIYA DOLE and the Acting General Officers Commanding of 7 Division and 8 Task Force Division respectively.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by cutievik: 11:02pm On Aug 15, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

Fear not bro I believe the military realizes this.

On a lighter note refocusing of efforts

UPDATE: MOBILE STRIKE TEAMS LAUNCHED TO ENHANCE OPERATION LAFIYA DOLE

In what could best be described as a turning point in the ongoing clearance operations in the North East, today, Tuesday 15th August 2017, the Theatre Commander Operation LAFIYA DOLE, Major General Ibrahim Attahiru, launched 3 Mobile Strike Teams (MST) at the Military Command and Control Centre, Maimalari Military Cantonment, Maiduguri, Borno State. The teams are designed to conduct long range patrols and ambushes deep into the hinterland. It is a mixed of professionally trained special forces mobile with variants of equipment on wheels.

The Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE charged the teams to be discipline, confident, resolute, focused and determined in their task of clearing the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists wherever they are found.

It would be recalled that the MST were trained at Nigerian Army School of Special Forces (NASFS), Buni Yadi, Yobe State recently. Their task is to keep the main supply route and all rural settlements safe.

The launch of the MSTs was attended by the Chief of Civil Military Affairs Army Headquarters, Major General Nuhu Angbazo, Component Commanders of Operation LAFIYA DOLE and the Acting General Officers Commanding of 7 Division and 8 Task Force Division respectively.
Oga count the men wey dey there then count the MRAPs wey dey there, tell me wey the rest wan stay.. Hilux again... Nigeria sinks ..
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 15, 2017
cutievik:
Oga count the men wey dey there then count the MRAPs wey dey there, tell me wey the rest wan stay.. Hilux again... Nigeria sinks ..

not all MRAPS were lined up obviously, remember 177 were purchased ?

I dont know how the paint scheme for these vehicles changed between Apapa port and Borno state, only explanation is that this is a different batch.

NA better throw away those GPMGs mounted on the turrets, have they learnt nothing?!?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 12:03am On Aug 16, 2017
I noticed how the Nigerian Army never uses airborne units. Those would have been useful to:

- Launch surprise raids in Boko Haram territory
- Destroy crucial strategic infrastructure that is mostly hidden deep inside their held territory.
- Launch a second front when the ground forces are on the assault or to cut off BH from escaping or ambush their possible reinforcement.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nok234: 3:14am On Aug 16, 2017
cutievik:
We have 100s of them, the Hilux will be replace in the future by IVM G 12. It takes time... Who knows how many Hilux do we have ... And we dont have the luxery to wait for new equipments before going head tomhead with BH and destroye them once and for all
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nok234: 3:21am On Aug 16, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

Yes target the key leaders this would have been my priority, because is only the leaders that fucker who finance bh trust, isis wont trust new leaders only the old ones are really trusted. The more new leaders bh will have the less trust their supporters will have in them ... It will be a mistake believing that shekau is the only head of the snake (is the most important for sure) but ther are others sneaks, cut all the heads and bh would have problem with interacting with ther boddies
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 5:06am On Aug 16, 2017
ActivateKruger:
I noticed how the Nigerian Army never uses airborne units. Those who have been useful to:

- Launch surprise raids in Boko Haram territory
- Destroy crucial strategic infrastructure that is mostly hidden deep inside their held territory.
- Launch a second front when the ground forces are on the assault or to cut off BH from escaping or ambush their possible reinforcement.

Now they live with the people on a low key they no longer have territories you can invade just like that. The problem now is know who you want to attack and you need info to do that.

Recently, it seems they've being regrouping to attack small communities with light weapons mainly.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nok234: 5:16am On Aug 16, 2017
Can someone dig a little bit and tell us if the A29 Super Tucano deal has an Offset agreement ?
For sure Nigeria doesnt have any policy about offset ... But with this type of policy acquiring equipment wont be that painful to the economy but will be actually very good since we are very depend on oil this can be good alternative and at the same time equiping all branches of military faster... Just saying
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 1:44pm On Aug 16, 2017
LASEMA Acquires Drones Support Disaster Management In Lagos(Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdjTXPkSaKY

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saintjoel(m): 4:08pm On Aug 16, 2017
I don't know why The Nigerian army have overlooked the anti-personal mines in COIN Operations. These toys could be used to secure perimeters and FOBs in the Niger-delta and North-East, coupled with pre-cordinated artillery fire or mortar fire, they will wreak havoc on any BH trying to attack them.

The M18A1 Claymore mine has a horizontally convex gray-green plastic case (inert training versions are light blue or green with a light blue band). The shape was developed through experimentation to deliver the optimum distribution of fragments at 50 m (55 yd) range. The case has the words "FRONT TOWARD ENEMY" embossed on the front of the mine.[3] A simple open sight on the top surface allows for aiming the mine. Two pairs of scissor legs attached to the bottom support the mine and allow it to be aimed vertically. On both sides of the sight are fuse wells set at 45 degrees.

Internally the mine contains a layer of C-4 explosive behind a matrix of about seven hundred 1⁄8-inch-diameter (3.2 mm) steel balls set into an epoxy resin.

When the M18A1 is detonated, the explosion drives the matrix forward, out of the mine at a velocity of 1,200 m/s (3,937 ft/s),[1] at the same time breaking it into individual fragments. The steel balls are projected in a 60° fan-shaped pattern that is 6.5 feet (2.0 m) high and 50 m (55 yd) wide at a range of 50 m (55 yd). The force of the explosion deforms the relatively soft steel balls into a shape similar to a .22 rimfire projectile.[1] These fragments are moderately effective up to a range of 100 m (110 yd), with a hit probability of around 10% on a prone man-sized 1.3-square-foot (0.12 m2) target. The fragments can travel up to 250 m (270 yd). The optimum effective range is 50 m (55 yd), at which the optimal balance is achieved between lethality and area coverage, with a hit probability of 30% on a man-sized target.[4]

The weapon and all its accessories are carried in an M7 bandoleer ("Claymore bag"wink. The mine is detonated as the enemy personnel approaches the killing zone. Controlled detonation may be accomplished by use of either an electrical or non-electrical firing system. When mines are employed in the controlled role, they are treated as individual weapons and are reported in the unit fire plan. They are not reported as mines; however, the emplacing unit must ensure that the mines are removed, detonated, or turned over to a relieving unit. The 100-foot (30 m) M4 electric firing wire on a green plastic spool is provided in each bandoleer. The M57 firing device (colloquially referred to as the "clacker"wink is included with each mine. An M40 circuit test set is packed in each case of six mines. When the mines are daisy chained together, one firing device can detonate several mines.

The mine can be detonated by any mechanism that activates the blasting cap. There are field-expedient methods of detonating the mine by tripwire, or by a timer, but these are rarely used.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saintjoel(m): 4:08pm On Aug 16, 2017
I don't know why The Nigerian army have overlooked the anti-personal mines in COIN Operations. These toys could be used to secure perimeters and FOBs in the Niger-delta and North-East, coupled with pre-cordinated artillery fire or mortar fire, they will wreak havoc on any BH trying to attack them.

The M18A1 Claymore mine has a horizontally convex gray-green plastic case (inert training versions are light blue or green with a light blue band). The shape was developed through experimentation to deliver the optimum distribution of fragments at 50 m (55 yd) range. The case has the words "FRONT TOWARD ENEMY" embossed on the front of the mine.[3] A simple open sight on the top surface allows for aiming the mine. Two pairs of scissor legs attached to the bottom support the mine and allow it to be aimed vertically. On both sides of the sight are fuse wells set at 45 degrees.

Internally the mine contains a layer of C-4 explosive behind a matrix of about seven hundred 1⁄8-inch-diameter (3.2 mm) steel balls set into an epoxy resin.

When the M18A1 is detonated, the explosion drives the matrix forward, out of the mine at a velocity of 1,200 m/s (3,937 ft/s),[1] at the same time breaking it into individual fragments. The steel balls are projected in a 60° fan-shaped pattern that is 6.5 feet (2.0 m) high and 50 m (55 yd) wide at a range of 50 m (55 yd). The force of the explosion deforms the relatively soft steel balls into a shape similar to a .22 rimfire projectile.[1] These fragments are moderately effective up to a range of 100 m (110 yd), with a hit probability of around 10% on a prone man-sized 1.3-square-foot (0.12 m2) target. The fragments can travel up to 250 m (270 yd). The optimum effective range is 50 m (55 yd), at which the optimal balance is achieved between lethality and area coverage, with a hit probability of 30% on a man-sized target.[4]

The weapon and all its accessories are carried in an M7 bandoleer ("Claymore bag"wink. The mine is detonated as the enemy personnel approaches the killing zone. Controlled detonation may be accomplished by use of either an electrical or non-electrical firing system. When mines are employed in the controlled role, they are treated as individual weapons and are reported in the unit fire plan. They are not reported as mines; however, the emplacing unit must ensure that the mines are removed, detonated, or turned over to a relieving unit. The 100-foot (30 m) M4 electric firing wire on a green plastic spool is provided in each bandoleer. The M57 firing device (colloquially referred to as the "clacker"wink is included with each mine. An M40 circuit test set is packed in each case of six mines. When the mines are daisy chained together, one firing device can detonate several mines.

The mine can be detonated by any mechanism that activates the blasting cap. There are field-expedient methods of detonating the mine by tripwire, or by a timer, but these are rarely used.

A

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patented: 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2017
NIgeria is a Signatory to the Ottawa Treaty.
saintjoel:

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 5:07pm On Aug 16, 2017
RG-31

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 8:38pm On Aug 16, 2017
MikeCZA, what are the SAAF Gripens doing in Mkhuze?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1331) (1332) (1333) (1334) (1335) (1336) (1337) ... (2844) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.