Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,850 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1436) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5971054 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1433) (1434) (1435) (1436) (1437) (1438) (1439) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 8:37pm On Oct 13, 2017
LTGEN:
Not yet.
its seems we are allergic to writing in Nigeria
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 13, 2017
Deway7575:
That will be it. And a gradual withdraw of some overused vehicles and a total withdrawal of hilux (to be used for civil activities only). Something should also be done about those annoying Isuzu 2.5 ton trucks.

hahaha lemme guess you have been seeing them of recent in our financial capital ba grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 10:36pm On Oct 13, 2017
AFTER TRUMP TRAVEL BAN, CHAD PULLS TROOPS FROM BOKO HARAM FIGHT IN NIGER

www.newsweek.com/trump-travel-ban-chad-boko-haram-684078
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 13, 2017
horlams:

You are the only one talking ballistic protection. It was not specified anywhere, you jumped on Henry's claim, quote Nok and none of them soecified whether it is ballistic or mine. And I see you went all the way back to modify your post to suite your 'new' narrative
Go read my comments i made about a week ago!!!! you'll see its not a new narrative, hence we said a 14.5mm will past through it like butter, not once did we talk about mines/ieds.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nok234: 11:14pm On Oct 13, 2017
Henry240:

The fact it is locally manufactured means that even if it is more expensive than foreign ones, the benefits it provides for the Nigerian economy cannot be quantified. In terms of protection, it is the best MRAP in the inventory of the Nigerian army.

As for mobility, that's hard to say until those specifications become available.

Off-course you don't expect an MRAP to do tight turns like a Ferrari, i'm sure it will perform brilliantly during tests.

Spec & a video of the vehicle ... For this we are all going to wait

Lol not like a ferrari, if its has ferrari like turn I will suspect some serious juju ...

The benefits are large from creating more jobs in the defence sector even in the other sector that help building the ARA & growing the economy. But for sure it will less expensive than the other category III MRAP
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nok234: 11:17pm On Oct 13, 2017
jln115:

Yes Stanag 4 for mine protection.....as are all SAn MRAPs but we are talking ballistic protection!!
I was talking about mine protection, for the ballistic protection at the moment the ARA can withstand 5.56, 7.62 is already a good thing if we add 12.7 so then we have built the best MRAP
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by horlams: 3:38am On Oct 14, 2017
jln115:

Go read my comments i made about a week ago!!!! you'll see its not a new narrative, hence we said a 14.5mm will past through it like butter, not once did we talk about mines/ieds.

Oh yeah
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 14, 2017
Nigerian Service Chiefs

Army, Navy, Air-Force and CDS, swagging it up in the AO. cool cool

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 14, 2017
Nok234:

I was talking about mine protection, for the ballistic protection at the moment the ARA can withstand 5.56, 7.62 is already a good thing if we add 12.7 so then we have built the best MRAP
12.7mm is pushing it but...yeah this is exactly what I said a few weeks ago!!

Stanag 4a for a mine blast is 8kg under any wheel....our 50 year old Casspir can take a 21kg blast under any wheel, the Mamba around 14kg under any wheel. Even our SAMIL trucks are good for around 8kg under any wheel.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 14, 2017
horlams:

Oh yeah
Ok bro I'm not going to spoon feed anyone, but next before making the claim I'm changing my narrative consult the archives first.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by horlams: 7:12am On Oct 14, 2017
jln115:

Ok bro I'm not going to spoon feed anyone, but next before making the claim I'm changing my narrative consult the archives first.

'Oh,yeah' = 'oh, right'. I agreed with your initially post. Just some punctuation
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by horlams: 7:25am On Oct 14, 2017
jln115:

12.7mm is pushing it but...yeah this is exactly what I said a few weeks ago!!

Stanag 4a for a mine blast is 8kg under any wheel....our 50 year old Casspir can take a 21kg blast under any wheel, the Mamba around 14kg under any wheel. Even our SAMIL trucks are good for around 8kg under any wheel.

Buy you do know that as far as mine protection is concerned those

vehicles you listed will still be classified as Stanag level 4
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 14, 2017
Nok234:

It can withstand above 14.5mm rounds and up to 23mm.

Watch video from 3 minutes - 6 minutes, vehicle armour for the MRAP is explained. We currently have the best MRAP in Africa in terms of protection. No vehicle comes close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGxczSa-5P0

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 8:00am On Oct 14, 2017
Odunayaw:
Do we have any of our men that wrote any book on the ecomog wars
so many. But you won't find them in e-libraries. I came across some of them at the institute of strategic studies Jos. We ve got some good books on Nigerian History but how many of us dey read? How many of you know that a former foreign minister wrote a book on how we helped developed the Angolan Oil Industry? None. How many of you know that Henry Kissinger wrote a report back in the days to the US President about Nigeria's deployment of 8 MIG Jets to Southern Africa piloted by Egyptian mercs during the Angolan war? None.
How many of you know that after spending resource and influence in the fight for Angolan Independence the Nigerian Foreign Minister that went to visit the new Head of State could not get an audience with the young freedom fighter turned Head of State? none.
Get rare books and read. That is the beauty of your library. The rearer the books you have, the more expensive your library will be.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 8:06am On Oct 14, 2017
Nok234:

After first trial the military show interest ... It is a good MRAP otherwise they will ask for another one. Im not making things up..

Yes indeed you are making things up. Has this vehicle gone through all its trials? No. Whether it is good or not is still very far from being determined.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 8:13am On Oct 14, 2017
ssaengine:
Got to love South African engineering. Why buy top tech when you can build it yourself? smiley wink

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/mobilesite/defenceweb/home/item_id-49580/

Marlin missile making swift progess

The Denel Dynamics Marlin missile is at an advanced stage of development, with test flights of the 100 km range radar-guided weapon having already been carried out.

Marlin is a radar-guided beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile technology demonstrator and the intention is to also use Marlin technology in an all-weather surface-to-air version. It is being developed by Denel Dynamics under an Armscor/Department of Defence technology demonstrator contract.

According to Ivan Gibbons, Chief systems engineer at Denel Dynamics, various tests have been carried out, such as rocket motor firings and firing of a largely complete missile from the Denel Overberg Test Range two years ago using a ground-mounted launcher to test the missile's manoeuvrability and flight characteristics. The missile has also been fitted to a pod mounted on a South African Air Force (SAAF) Gripen fighter. Denel Dynamics is now heading towards a guided flight test that will use the radar seeker to shoot down a target drone.

Gibbons, speaking at a presentation organised by the Aeronautical Society of South Africa (AeSSA), explained that the Marlin uses a dual pulse rocket motor for extended range (two fuel chambers and one exhaust nozzle). For long range engagements the first pulse fires and the missile glides towards its target before the second pulse fires at a later point in time. For shorter engagements, both pulses can be fired almost simultaneously. Top speed could be around Mach 4. Flight control is by servo motor controlled fins.

Gibbons said there were many challenging issues to be dealt with when designing a missile like Marlin, such as high G loads (at least 30 Gs), vibration on the aircraft, electromagnetic interference, the effects of flying through rain, and thermal shock. As an example the missile has to operate in -50 degree Celsius temperatures while the leading edges of the missile can reach up to 900 degrees Celsius once launched.

Denel Dynamics is working with Armscor on Marlin, as well as other entities like Saab - the latter is especially important since the Marlin is being fitted to the Gripen. The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) did wind tunnel testing of the missile while the Test Flight and Development Centre (TFDC) and Denel Overberg Test Range have been used for test firings. Another important partner is Rheinmetall Denel Munition (RDM), which provided the rocket motor.

Although the Marlin is a technology demonstrator at the moment, it is likely that it will be used by the South African Air Force (SAAF), as the SAAF currently lacks a beyond visual range (BVR) missile and at present only has the interim infrared guided IRIS-T short-range air-to-air missile (SRAAM) in service, although the Denel Dynamics A-Darter SRAAM is about to enter service - final acceptance of this will be completed before the end of the year.

Denel Dynamics also sees Marlin configured into an all-weather surface-to-air missile. Common subsystems will be used for the different variants of the weapon, with some components tailored specifically for the relevant application of the missile.

Although Marlin is fully funded by the Department of Defence via Armscor, Denel Dynamics is looking for an international partner to collaborate with during the future development programme.
Can we commence celebrations for three pages!!! grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 14, 2017
Nigerian Defence minister confirms "Jordan obliged to assist with excess defence articles" they did not donate the brand new typhoon MRAPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88rUxsrMDYk
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 8:20am On Oct 14, 2017
ActivateKruger:

All I'm reading is the S-400 9M96E2 missile. Denel is making the S-400 9M96E2 missile, my night is already beautiful. smiley

Some more juicy news

http://www.janes.com/article/74834/major-projects-in-the-works-for-denel

Major projects in the works for Denel

Helmoed-Römer Heitman - IHS Jane's Defence Industry
11 October 2017

South Africa’s state-owned defence group Denel recently released its full annual report, which reveals that the company is in a tight situation but with considerable potential.

The company’s main potential lies in its success in winning design and development orders from foreign armed forces, and in the fact that it has innovative products that could be brought to production quickly given the funding.

Denel Dynamics has completed development of the A-Darter ‘5th generation’ air-to-air missile for both Brazil and South Africa, and is developing “a medium-range, low-cost guided weapon” that “performed well during flight tests in early 2017”. Additionally, the company announced a “long-range IR guided weapon” that showed “exceptional accuracy” in trials.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 8:25am On Oct 14, 2017
So South Africa's missile design capabilities remain in very capable hands.

1. Umkhonto missile launch
2. Marlin missile launch
3.A Darter missile launch

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 8:26am On Oct 14, 2017
MikeCZA:

Lol cheesy

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 8:46am On Oct 14, 2017
Algerian1:
past military event . The War between Morocco and western sahraoui ( moroccan AF loses against polisario)

Wow! I had no idea the whole Polisario thing was that serious. Can you give us some background apart from wiki? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the cause of such heavy ac losses.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 8:59am On Oct 14, 2017
ActivateKruger:

Exactly what I said. You can't trust GPS and external communication.

The solution is easy, you pre-feed the vehicle with an offline 3D map. Then use algorithm and live sensors to compensate for the latest changes that may have occurred on the map. Now the biggest challenge would be the live sensors, they may need to be able to 3D render the landscape (including vegetation and buildings) in high definition at a long distance in order for the vehicle to make an informed navigation decision.

I personally know no sensor that can render such high level data at that range and be mobile. Then you'll have to setup data storage inside the vehicle which would equate to a Hollywood server alongside it's cooling system..... God forbid it doesn't run on AMD graphics cards and processors because I tell that thing will be a hot infrared target at 15km.

You sir,know of what you speak!

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 9:02am On Oct 14, 2017
LTGEN:

It is needed Henry .I used to agree with that line of thinking till. I saw an African post a photshopped Blackman in a waffen SS uniform and a thinly veiled attempt to salute the Nazis.
We got complacent about Ecomog and look what happened some @$% hole wrote a book and started laying claim to how he single handedly ended the war.
Nigerians when we leave the shores of Nigeria don't beat our chest because we don't want to be the overbearing big brother from Africa.
Sierra Leone , Liberia, and even Somalia.The danger sometimes is complacency and people rewriting History to their benefit.

Photoshopped? Me? And you call yourself a military historian....SMFH!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 10:16am On Oct 14, 2017
overhypedsteve:
so many. But you won't find them in e-libraries. I came across some of them at the institute of strategic studies Jos. We ve got some good books on Nigerian History but how many of us dey read? How many of you know that a former foreign minister wrote a book on how we helped developed the Angolan Oil Industry? None. How many of you know that Henry Kissinger wrote a report back in the days to the US President about Nigeria's deployment of 8 MIG Jets to Southern Africa piloted by Egyptian mercs during the Angolan war? None.
How many of you know that after spending resource and influence in the fight for Angolan Independence the Nigerian Foreign Minister that went to visit the new Head of State could not get an audience with the young freedom fighter turned Head of State? none.
Get rare books and read. That is the beauty of your library. The rearer the books you have, the more expensive your library will be.

I stay in the southwest and you can bet your eyes I have been to the library than the hospital. What do I do when government owned libraries can boast only on encyclopedias and Achebe's book

I do hope to visit Jos in future. and jeez such juicy stories? The thing should easily become a best seller
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 14, 2017
horlams:

Buy you do know that as far as mine protection is concerned those

vehicles you listed will still be classified as Stanag level 4
Stanag 4 ballistic protection: 14.5mm at 200m and 155mm shell splinters at 30m

So in terms of ballistic protection they are not stanag 4
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 14, 2017
horlams:

'Oh,yeah' = 'oh, right'. I agreed with your initially post. Just some punctuation
Aahh got it!! wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 11:14am On Oct 14, 2017
Henry240:

Watch video from 3 minutes - 6 minutes, vehicle armour for the MRAP is explained. We currently have the best MRAP in Africa in terms of protection. No vehicle comes close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGxczSa-5P0

Forget Africa. Best protected MRAP in the world. "Up to 23 mm" grin grin. If this is an official Proforce statement I feel sorry for them, they just.....never mind, let me not start a fight smiley

It really doesn't help Proforce's brand at all by making such non.sense claims, especially with their first MRAP. Makes them look amateur. Simple google search by their research team should have raised alarm bells with that claim.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 11:29am On Oct 14, 2017
I guess 23 mm can be defended against if you're far enough away * thinking deeply *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2f2e8eYGTE

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 12:17pm On Oct 14, 2017
MikeCZA:

Get us the following pictures of the Marlin

1. You posing next to it
2. With the SAAF CAS
3. With a random dude with civilian clothes
4. With it packed outside
5. With it in black-and-white

We have to post it from all directions and admire it's beauty as the "best missile in Africa"

That shall be enough to post for months grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 12:22pm On Oct 14, 2017
ssaengine:

Forget Africa. Best protected MRAP in the world. "Up to 23 mm" grin grin. If this is an official Proforce statement I feel sorry for them, they just.....never mind, let me not start a fight smiley

It really doesn't help Proforce's brand at all by making such non.sense claims, especially with their first MRAP. Makes them look amateur. Simple google search by their research team should have raised alarm bells with that claim.

Forget the 23mm, this sh*t can take alien laser and still sing gumbaya.

I hope Spielberg and Blomkamp are watching, this is the apocalypse vehicle right here.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 12:56pm On Oct 14, 2017
ssaengine:
I guess 23 mm can be defended against if you're far enough away * thinking deeply *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2f2e8eYGTE

If you're stupid enough you can surely fire at that distance and damage nothing. Wait for your target until you ambush them at less than 200m, you'll massacre them.

SA Special Forces firing a captured ZU-32 (23mm)

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 14, 2017

Ye gods!!! grin grin grin

Agugugubug/Covert/SupremeCourt Alert!!!*

*For those who don't know, awarded to someone making assertions without regard to facts.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1433) (1434) (1435) (1436) (1437) (1438) (1439) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: oyinpr(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.