Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (149) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5969171 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 26, 2015
Nigerian MI-35 attack Helicopter armed with dumb bombs.

Photo credit: beegeagle.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 26, 2015
Henry120:
SAAF Gripen Cockpit
Nice one. I'll raise you a SF Forward Air Controller practising CAS with the 2-seater Gripen.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 26, 2015
Henry120:

Still, I mentioned 5, if i'm to take away the strap.

5: Bolt handle.

4, with the rifle strap and the optics not included. shocked
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 26, 2015
frumentius:

Nice one. I'll raise you a SF Forward Air Controller practising CAS with the 2-seater Gripen.

Naah!! I'm not a fan of using Fighter Jets for CAS. Not only are (jets) bad at it, there's a higher chance of blue on blue.

By all means, do keep the photos coming in.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 26, 2015
frumentius:

There are times when a 7.62 is preferable. wink
A batch of almost 2000 never-been-used original R1s were sourced from Zimbabwe - properly stored when the Zimbos opted for the Kalashnikov - and the gunsmiths over at the SF Brigade Supply Unit had great fun updating and modifying them.

A quiz for you and others: there are at least 5 discernible differences between the standard R1 and the SF standard. Spot them.

Pic 1: standard R1, from Zim stock
Pic 2: modified R1
Where are the Saffers? Enjoying what I'm told is a lovely sunny day? Naija Henry has almost won the prize!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
let them come. We'll tata...tatatata!!! We'll kick their as.s mother fuc,kers.

I have my commando knife here. I use to slaughter boko haram with this; i use to slaughter them with this. When i catch them, i slaughter them.

Guess who said this?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 26, 2015
Henry120:

Naah!! I'm not a fan of using Fighter Jets for CAS. Not only are (jets) bad at it, there's a higher chance of blue on blue.

By all means, do keep the photos coming in.
In an earlier era, yes. But with laser-guided munitions and GPS, ground targeting lessens the risk. Much prefer the Hawk to the Gripen for CAS myself.
Check out this Denel link on how GPS is being used on artillery systems, and apart from the SANDF, has been bought by Germany and other NATO countries. I gather though that the Israelis are developing an even more advanced system: guided mortars!
http://admin.denel.co.za/uploads//60mm_Long_Ra_ge_mortar.pdf
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 26, 2015
craziebone:
let them come. We'll tata...tatatata!!! We'll kick their as.s mother fuc,kers.

I have my commando knife here. I use to slaughter boko haram with this; i use to slaughter them with this. When i catch them, i slaughter them.

Guess who said this?
Lost your way from that other thread? We post pics and videos here, with no shafting mechanism measurement contests!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 26, 2015
So far i've noticed 3 different models of these trooper vehicles used by KDF, are they on trial on something

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 26, 2015
frumentius:

At least 5 discernible differences in the rifle, not on. I'm being tough and the optic doesn't count. Still 4/5 Henry. wink

Let me read what the South-Africans would type, before i continue.

Jln115, Mikeczar, Andrewza, patches

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:48pm On Apr 26, 2015
MikeCZAR:
By command you mean 'telstar'?

Didn't give you a full answer Mike:
An illustration of what I was talking about - 4 operators on either side of the Oryx, with the FAC located just behind the flight crew.

But bear in mind on a smaller scale, different equipment and specs.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 26, 2015
frumentius:

In an earlier era, yes. But with laser-guided munitions and GPS, ground targeting lessens the risk. Much prefer the Hawk to the Gripen for CAS myself.
Check out this Denel link on how GPS is being used on artillery systems, and apart from the SANDF, has been bought by Germany and other NATO countries. I gather though that the Israelis are developing an even more advanced system: guided mortars!
http://admin.denel.co.za/uploads//60mm_Long_Ra_ge_mortar.pdf

Exactly, Even with improved targeting(laser guided munitions et al), most jets are simply no good. Of course Sub-sonic jets are better in CAS, i still do not feel jets are an ideal close air support platform.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 26, 2015
9 delivered 1980's 7 of the last ones all retired in 2012- kenya airforce Hawk 52. was never really pictured in public. this was taken in London just before bieng delivered -1980

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 26, 2015
Senegalese VBSS team

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by horlams: 2:14pm On Apr 26, 2015
NPF Counter Terrorism Unit
Photo Credit: beegeagle.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 26, 2015
frumentius:

A batch of almost 2000 never-been-used original R1s were sourced from Zimbabwe - properly stored when the Zimbos opted for the Kalashnikov - and the gunsmiths over at the SF Brigade Supply Unit had great fun updating and modifying them.

A quiz for you and others: there are at least 5 discernible differences between the standard R1 and the SF standard. Spot them.

Pic 2 is actually a R3, it has a folding stock, different muzzle break, Shorter Barrel, and what I see in the pic also has a different bolt handle, but the biggest difference is the R3 is capable of automatic fire and the R1 isn't.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 26, 2015
Henry120:

Let me read what the South-Africans would type, before i continue.

Jln115, Mikeczar, Andrewza, patches
Pic 2 is actually a R3, it has a folding stock, different muzzle break, Shorter Barrel, and what I see in the pic also has a different bolt handle, but the biggest difference is the R3 is capable of automatic fire and the R1 isn't.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 5:56pm On Apr 26, 2015
denisfidha:
So far i've noticed 3 different models of these trooper vehicles used by KDF, are they on trial on something
Second pic looks like the Polaris RZR 900 XP.

A certain SF unit in SADC uses a different variant.

I've also seen Nigerian troops with another Polaris variant.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 6:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
frumentius:

Didn't give you a full answer Mike:
An illustration of what I was talking about - 4 operators on either side of the Oryx, with the FAC located just behind the flight crew.

But bear in mind on a smaller scale, different equipment and specs.
Since the boarder days.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 26, 2015
SAAF Hawk Trainer/light attack Jet.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:47pm On Apr 26, 2015
frumentius:

That's a Hawk not a Gripen mate.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 2:19am On Apr 27, 2015
frumentius:

Well Henry120 beat me to it by naming most of differences, but I think the last one is actually a Silencer/Suppressor and not a Muzzle Breaker.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 2:29am On Apr 27, 2015
jln115:

That's a Hawk not a Gripen mate.

Yeah you can actually tell by the Size of the much Smaller Wing on the Top Left Corner, though the Cockpit does look a lot like the Gripen... Its probably one of those "Gripenised" Hawks.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by horlams: 3:37am On Apr 27, 2015
horlams:
NPF Counter Terrorism Unit
Photo Credit: beegeagle.
Can anyone i.d dt weapon in d 3rd pic?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 27, 2015
Centrifude:

Yeah you can actually tell by the Size of the much Smaller Wing on the Top Left Corner, though the Cockpit does look a lot like the Gripen... Its probably one of those "Gripenised" Hawks.
And the logo on the helmet! Only the 85th Combat school has a Gannet on their logo.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 27, 2015
Centrifude:

Well Henry120 beat me to it by naming most of differences, but I think the last one is actually a Silencer/Suppressor and not a Muzzle Breaker.
Pic 2 is actually a R3, besides the visible differences, the R3 is also capable of automatic fire and the R1 isn't.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 27, 2015
horlams:

AK 47 without a doubt.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:03am On Apr 27, 2015
horlams:

That's an AK-47L. Israeli up-grade package for AK-47's and 74's.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 27, 2015

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 27, 2015
Cont.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 27, 2015
Nigerian Airforce Alpha Jet Trainer/ Light attack from Air-USA.

Nigeria bought 24 examples of the Alpha jet in the 80's. 8 were upgraded in 2012(improved avionics and additional hardpoints added).

2 crashed: one in support of Afisma in mali,
And another in ongoing COIN operations.

Nigeria placed an order for 6 up-graded Alpha jets from Air-usa in 2014. These are able to deliver PGM's unlike NAF's legacy Alpha jets.

http://air-usa.com/uploads/gallery/alpha-jet-formation1.jpg

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fynline(m): 1:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
http://voto.com.ng/index.php/videos

Short clip of NA t72 in action

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.