Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,365 members, 7,815,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1586) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5963879 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1583) (1584) (1585) (1586) (1587) (1588) (1589) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 2:37pm On Jan 21, 2018
kenya army MD 500 Defender helicopter

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jan 21, 2018
First pic of the AN/TPS-78HM (High Mobility version ) Radar in Algerian Army

capable of tracking 1,000 targets at a range of over 445 km !!!

2nd pic : illustration

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 2:56pm On Jan 21, 2018
patches689:

Indeed it does.

Considering 1 Sergeant usually = 1 platoon, and the Nigerian army is modelled on the British Army so a platoon is 24 that puts the number at around 8900 in the NE. This is of course assuming that every sergeant is in a rifle platoon

I'm not talking about platoon. Obviously, when the COAS says I have deployed 10,000 men deployed in south east, he's not talking in platoon. That one belongs to people who knows about it.

So 10,000 men = 20,000 legs in south south therefore x2= 40,000 legs and 20,000 human being fighting Bokowengerangry
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 21, 2018
Algerian1:
First pic of the AN/TPS-78HM (High Mobility version ) Radar in Algerian Army

capable of tracking 1,000 targets at a range of over 445 km !!!

2nd pic : illustration
Isnt it American system ?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by CaptainStephen(m): 4:56pm On Jan 21, 2018
patches689:

I know what you guys are saying, Im just asking for an up to date source for my own curiosity.
OK, unfortunately I don't have an official source at the moment.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jan 21, 2018
nemesis4u:

Isnt it American ?

yes , Algerian army use also some US radars ! the AN/TPS-43 was bought in 80s , the AN/TPS-70 in 2000s and lastly the AN/TPS-703 ( in the pics) and the AN/TPS-78

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 21, 2018
Algerian1:

yes , Algerian army use also some US radars ! the AN/TPS-43 was bought in 80s , the AN/TPS-70 in 2000s and lastly the AN/TPS-703 ( in the pics) and the AN/TPS-78

Do these operate in standalone mode since they r not compatible with Russian radars.

Most probably base/area defence

or do u guys use an interface to take the feeds from both west and east radars for a common RAP.

Or maybe network them
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 12:59am On Jan 22, 2018
African Military leaders should adopt digital technology to enhance combat capabilities

Digital technologies are a powerful tools to enhance military warfighting capabilities and preparing for a future driven by data, autonomous systems and immersive technology.

Most African military forces view digital technology as a luxury for advanced or wealthy nations; others see it as an opportunity. To fully stay in step with the growing and constantly changing world, employing digital technology early is an opportunity to boost the potential for efficiency and battlefield effectiveness. South frica has played a major role in pioneering battlefield digital technological revolutions in Africa and the world.

The use of digital technologies comes from the determination to push back the boundaries of the possible — not only to prepare for the FUTURE but to solve very real problems today. The key technologies to take the front-burner in future warfare includes;

. Artificial Intelligence
. Big Data
. Cyber-security and Warfare
. Battlefield Network Connectivity

cc
Tdayof
Nemesis4u

frumentius
mikeCZA
jln
Odunayaw
LTGEN

https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/01/african-military-leaders-should-adopt.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 1:04am On Jan 22, 2018
Switching to digital technologies would definitely transform the way military operations is conducted. Innovative technologies is an extraordinary enabler of long-term growth and development. Innovative digital technologies makes military operations easier, going beyond the battlefield to provide solutions to complex maneovers.

Digital Warriors

Sudanese Army Future Soldier concept

So far only Sudan has taken the necessary steps to enhance its fighting capabilities in the nearest future through its ambitious advanced infantry fighting digital module known as the "Kombo Future Soldier System". The module consists of a new combat gears for its infantryman developed locally under the code-name "Kombo".

According to the Sudanese Army high command, the Kombo system is a Digitilized Integrated Soldier Combat System (SICS) to provide individual soldiers and squads with advanced combat equipment in order to enhance its fighting capabilities. The Kombo Future Soldier System works by regarding the soldier as a platform or carrier for the integrated advanced combat technologies and it focuses on these key critical areas:

 Firepower-Lethality Technology
 Day/Night sight technology
 High Performance Computer Technology
 Self-Organising battlefield network/ICT
 Ballistic Protection

In no distant future, it is hoped that other technically advanced nations like South Africa, Nigeria and Egypt would emulate the Sudanese Army future soldier concept.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nicheey(m): 1:28am On Jan 22, 2018
barineh:

NIA is headed by a man that was disgraced out of the Nia for failing promotion exams. He has a degree in French and Arabic and is partly Chadian. Our president is clueless as to how 21st security works. The Ipob never killed any one but I remember how he started the python operation killing tons of people who want out of this failed state but a group that actually moves from state to state killing people OUR president defense them and is asking people to part with their lands for them! God how low have we fallen how can the president of Nigeria use Nigeria's money that is made from the SOUTH to establish colonies for blood suckers from the North. Nigeria is a mistake! The day they bring this to port Harcourt or any south south city would be the day every one regrets being Nigerian.

speak for ur self, since when did we made u our spokesman?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 4:17am On Jan 22, 2018
lionel4power:
African Military leaders should adopt digital technology to enhance combat capabilities

Digital technologies are a powerful tools to enhance military warfighting capabilities and preparing for a future driven by data, autonomous systems and immersive technology.

Most African military forces view digital technology as a luxury for advanced or wealthy nations; others see it as an opportunity. To fully stay in step with the growing and constantly changing world, employing digital technology early is an opportunity to boost the potential for efficiency and battlefield effectiveness. South frica has played a major role in pioneering battlefield digital technological revolutions in Africa and the world.

The use of digital technologies comes from the determination to push back the boundaries of the possible — not only to prepare for the FUTURE but to solve very real problems today. The key technologies to take the front-burner in future warfare includes;

. Big Data

cc
Tdayof
Nemesis4u

frumentius
mikeCZA
jln
Odunayaw
LTGEN

https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/01/african-military-leaders-should-adopt.html?m=1
Nigeria is slowly developing and marrying its defense needs with Technology inputs....a lot of it is classified some of it is unclassified as it has opened up in the 2017 budget.
There is a genuine clamour for Nigeria to get its own military dedicated Satellite for one.
The NAF has sent people to learn the importance of GIS
Thanks to BH all new Helicopters come with FLIR and can fight all weather.
It is expected the JF-17 will come with the Helmet mounted @$×$@
Right now it will be the NAF that will lead the way forward when it comes to this issue.
This does not mean the NA or NN are not doing "Stuff' it just means the NAF is further ahead.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 7:20am On Jan 22, 2018
lionel4power:

. Big Data

cc
Tdayof
Nemesis4u

frumentius
mikeCZA
jln
Odunayaw
LTGEN

I admire this. Let me ask a question, if you posses a good technological capability, how do you get it accross to the right organizations. These guys seems too busy or what so ever to wabt to listen or even reply messages. I have a guy who has been sending series of emails to MOD, etc but no response until I had to help send him one through an established connection already.

These guys need to start paying attention and take Nigerians to be serious.

Artificial intelligence is something I admire. I currently have guys who are into it but I have never made use of it except the facial recognition part.

I will send you a mail now.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 8:15am On Jan 22, 2018
tdayof:

I admire this. Let me ask a question, if you posses a good technological capability, how do you get it accross to the right organizations. These guys seems too busy or what so ever to wabt to listen or even reply messages. I have a guy who has been sending series of emails to MOD, etc but no response until I had to help send him one through an established connection already.

These guys need to start paying attention and take Nigerians to be serious.

Artificial intelligence is something I admire. I currently have guys who are into it but I have never made use of it except the facial recognition part.

I will send you a mail now.
to be brutally frank, Nigeria is yet to fully grasp the importance of developing and adopting new technology in all aspects.

I must have mentioned somewhere that I did my Industrial Training in the Premier Air Force base in Kaduna, AFIT to be precise. I had the opportunity to visit DICON HQ ( not the factory) more than once.

When you enter DICON HQ the first thing you notice in the hall is images of very high-tech defence equipment displayed on the wall. They even have a showroom there. I had the chance to ask a serviceman working there why they don't produce all this? and he told me personally that they do understand the value of all those but they are handicap because you can't develop anything on an empty pocket. The govt do not sponsor any other extra expenses except overheads.

I'll advise anyone with some idea to seek private firms instead. There are a lot of private military complex all over Nigeria which are quite unknown e.g Badeh Aerospace which deals in drones and aviation related technologies.

or you can go the harder route which is to look for a high ranking military official and talk to him directly.

A.I is the next big thing in all area of our lives.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 8:33am On Jan 22, 2018
LTGEN:

Nigeria is slowly developing and marrying its defense needs with Technology inputs....a lot of it is classified some of it is unclassified as it has opened up in the 2017 budget.
There is a genuine clamour for Nigeria to get its own military dedicated Satellite for one.
The NAF has sent people to learn the importance of GIS
Thanks to BH all new Helicopters come with FLIR and can fight all weather.
It is expected the JF-17 will come with the Helmet mounted @$×$@
Right now it will be the NAF that will lead the way forward when it comes to this issue.
This does not mean the NA or NN are not doing "Stuff' it just means the NAF is further ahead.

for any military to remain relevant today they have to adopt some form of advance technology for the sake of the future. technologies like:

++Battlefield integrated network
++Digital technology for individual soldiers
++artificial intelligence (AI) and lethal autonomous weapons system
++Algorithmically-driven social media
++Cyber warfare
++swarming drones driven by A.I
++Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented reality(AR) Technology
++Smart weapons based on the OODA (Observe, Orient, Decide and Action) loop decision cycles
++Predictive Analytics
++Space based weapons
++Embedded Technology
++Morphing Technology
++Sensor Fusion
++Bio weapons
++Exo skeleton
++Micro Drones
++ hypersonic weapons

many countries have started developing ALL of those. so by 2030 any country who have not invested in advance technology would be left behind.

We are aleeady at the Fouth Technology Revolution.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fidha254(m): 9:15am On Jan 22, 2018
newafricaken254:
considering we will be spending around $4.5B of our $29B est budget 2018/2019FY to pay off domestic and intl debt, i'm kind of skeptical that we'll be taking delivery of any new aircraft this year. E.g the MD530,... Not unless the military has been accumulating their "modernization kitty" of $200m that they have been getting on top of their regular budget for the last 4 consecutive years.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 11:57am On Jan 22, 2018
On 1/20/2018 in Yemen, the Sudanese army engaged Houthis, this is what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7un3VBOR-bc
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 22, 2018
lionel4power:
Switching to digital technologies would definitely transform the way military operations is conducted. Innovative technologies is an extraordinary enabler of long-term growth and development. Innovative digital technologies makes military operations easier, going beyond the battlefield to provide solutions to complex maneovers.

Digital Warriors

Sudanese Army Future Soldier concept

So far only Sudan has taken the necessary steps to enhance its fighting capabilities in the nearest future through its ambitious advanced infantry fighting digital module known as the "Kombo Future Soldier System". The module consists of a new combat gears for its infantryman developed locally under the code-name "Kombo".

According to the Sudanese Army high command, the Kombo system is a Digitilized Integrated Soldier Combat System (SICS) to provide individual soldiers and squads with advanced combat equipment in order to enhance its fighting capabilities. The Kombo Future Soldier System works by regarding the soldier as a platform or carrier for the integrated advanced combat technologies and it focuses on these key critical areas:

 Firepower-Lethality Technology
 Day/Night sight technology
 High Performance Computer Technology
 Self-Organising battlefield network/ICT
 Ballistic Protection

In no distant future, it is hoped that other technically advanced nations like South Africa, Nigeria and Egypt would emulate the Sudanese Army future soldier concept.
Already done.....Project African Warrior, Project Radiate, Project Cytoon , Chaka C2, Impi Blue FOr tracker, Link ZA ect ect ect

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 22, 2018
lionel4power:

. Big Data

cc
Tdayof
Nemesis4u

frumentius
mikeCZA
jln
Odunayaw
LTGEN

All this r very significant in the modern battlefield but the billion dollar question is.... Is it possible to develop and implement them sustainably ?

If countries don't play it smart they will find it very difficult to develop and implement them.

Recently Ind.. cancelled it's BMS program valued at around 5 billion dollars or so , reason being technological bottlenecks , integration problems across multiple levels and multiple platforms , inherent security risks due to lack of proprietary systems like routers , ICs , processors , rams etc. various parallel programs in support of the BMS were behind time schedule etc.

But there was a lot of protest and the program will be restarted after reorganization etc.

The lesson here is a program of this scale must take a modular and incremental approach best will be bottom up approach. This takes care of funding issues , time constraints , technological limitations etc

For a country which is for the first time venturing into this

My advice will be to digitize first , logistics , inventory control, human resource management etc.
It will provide and set the base ie the backbone for other programs.

The advantage is implementing digitization will save money which can be rerouted to fund other programs and additionally give a proper view of the organisation both functional and support.

Digitization will need a total revamp of the front end and back end, back end will be cost and time intensive . Plus there will be inherent security risks becz as I mentioned backdoors will always exists becz of the hardware which will have to sourced from outside .

Trying to develop them locally is possible but also near to impossible .

So it will take a pragmatic and well thought out approach to implement the same successfully.

Plus the countries will have to get their military fighting and support hardware in order and standardise on them otherwise it will be become a nightmare to port them all together seamlessly.

As for AI IMO that can wait , only 4-5 countries have the systems that can exploit it fully.

Later I will write about all this in a simple manner
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:56pm On Jan 22, 2018
frumentius:
That time we put the ZA-35 on a T-72. Anybody got the pics of the T-72 at AAD/DEXSA back in the early 90s?

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 4:03pm On Jan 22, 2018
nemesis4u:

All this r very significant in the modern battlefield but the billion dollar question is.... Is it possible to develop and implement them sustainably ?

If countries don't play it smart they will find it very difficult to develop and implement them.

Recently Ind.. cancelled it's BMS program valued at around 5 billion dollars or so , reason being technological bottlenecks , integration problems across multiple levels and multiple platforms , inherent security risks due to lack of proprietary systems like routers , ICs , processors , rams etc. various parallel programs in support of the BMS were behind time schedule etc.

But there was a lot of protest and the program will be restarted after reorganization etc.

The lesson here is a program of this scale must take a modular and incremental approach best will be bottom up approach. This takes care of funding issues , time constraints , technological limitations etc

For a country which is for the first time venturing into this

My advice will be to digitize first , logistics , inventory control, human resource management etc.
It will provide and set the base ie the backbone for other programs.

The advantage is implementing digitization will save money which can be rerouted to fund other programs and additionally give a proper view of the organisation both functional and support.

Digitization will need a total revamp of the front end and back end, back end will be cost and time intensive . Plus there will be inherent security risks becz as I mentioned backdoors will always exists becz of the hardware which will have to sourced from outside .

Trying to develop them locally is possible but also near to impossible .

So it will take a pragmatic and well thought out approach to implement the same successfully.

Plus the countries will have to get their military fighting and support hardware in order and standardise on them otherwise it will be become a nightmare to port them all together seamlessly.

As for AI IMO that can wait , only 4-5 countries have the systems that can exploit it fully.

Later I will write about all this in a simple manner

as usual very in-depth....

digitalizing the way warfare is conducted is a gradual process. standardizing the lower systems first is the best approach.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 4:10pm On Jan 22, 2018
Fidha254:
considering we will be spending around $4.5B of our $29B est budget 2018/2019FY to pay off domestic and intl debt, i'm kind of skeptical that we'll be taking delivery of any new aircraft this year. E.g the MD530,... Not unless the military has been accumulating their "modernization kitty" of $200m that they have been getting on top of their regular budget for the last 4 consecutive years.
we could also take delivery in phases, 4 MD530 this year and the rest in the future.lets wait and see
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by newafricaken254: 4:15pm On Jan 22, 2018
kenya paratroopers

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 22, 2018
lionel4power:

as usual very in-depth....

digitalizing the way warfare is conducted is a gradual process. standardizing the lower systems first is the best approach.

IMO first digitize the way the military operates during peace time, then incrementally implement it for battlefield use. wink

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:33pm On Jan 22, 2018
newafricaken254:

I've always wondered why the NA didn't go for at least a 12 ship squadron of these? They're designed to be the cheapest FAC in the light scout category along with low CPFH and they are with a 500 MD going for 3.5 mn$. https://www.aircraftcompare.com/manufacture-aircraft/MD-Helicopters/44

Looking at the long list of operators that's not just 'net BS! Everyone from the KA aircav,El Salvador,Mexico, S Kor, Finland and Colombia are users.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 4:54pm On Jan 22, 2018
Mr Beeg lobbying for better NAF platform on Twitter.

That guy is asking all the questions he had pent up inside him since 1901.

Hope he doesn't burst a spleen.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kenpaul0: 5:16pm On Jan 22, 2018
Did the NAF Chief respond?

lionel4power:

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kenpaul0: 5:17pm On Jan 22, 2018
Are Exoskeleton in operation?

lionel4power:

for any military to remain relevant today they have to adopt some form of advance technology for the sake of the future. technologies like:

++Battlefield integrated network
++Digital technology for individual soldiers
++artificial intelligence (AI) and lethal autonomous weapons system
++Algorithmically-driven social media
++Cyber warfare
++swarming drones driven by A.I
++Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented reality(AR) Technology
++Smart weapons based on the OODA (Observe, Orient, Decide and Action) loop decision cycles
++Predictive Analytics
++Space based weapons
++Embedded Technology
++Morphing Technology
++Sensor Fusion
++Bio weapons
++Exo skeleton
++Micro Drones
++ hypersonic weapons

many countries have started developing ALL of those. so by 2030 any country who have not invested in advance technology would be left behind.

We are aleeady at the Fouth Technology Revolution.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 5:34pm On Jan 22, 2018
lionel4power:

I was impressed with his questions, disappointingly, only one was answered.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 5:54pm On Jan 22, 2018
Xbee007:

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 22, 2018
Xbee007:

what was the answer like??
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 8:10pm On Jan 22, 2018
krattoss:
what was the answer like??
Beegeagles complained about NAF not being where it was supposed to be and he replied that we're are rapidly improving towards where we are supposed to be. Something like that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1583) (1584) (1585) (1586) (1587) (1588) (1589) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.