Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,507 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1606) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5963489 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1603) (1604) (1605) (1606) (1607) (1608) (1609) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 9:41pm On Feb 21, 2018
Not like I expected any thing but a cut. Hopefully the sandf can recover funds through other means.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:29am On Feb 22, 2018
kikuyu1:

SIGHHHHH! I feel for you-does this mean your armour will continue to consist of Oliphants and the excellent Rooikat 105? Is there at least serious talk of any acquisitions? Your land area is too large for a single squadron of anti armour assets-imo,you need armour.
You mean Rooikat 75?? And honestly we really don't need more Armour..... That's one of the few divisions in the defence force which is adequate for now!!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:32am On Feb 22, 2018
Frumentum:

Don't have the figures off-hand, but the major benefit of a stronger ZAR is cheaper jet fuel. Which is the only fuel we don't produce domestically.

I just think it's absurd that we're allocated R47.9 billion in a +ZAR trillion budget. sad sad sad
Zuma's parting shot of free university education doesn't help, but neither does our high personnel costs.
..... Sooooooo, does this mean old Frum here is willing to take a pay cut??...... For the greater good of course!!!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 7:46am On Feb 22, 2018
Slightly off-topic

That Zuma's free tertiary education is not feasible nor is it practical. It is calculated that you you'll need almost R60bn annually to fund it, increase it according to tuition fees which means it can reach R100bn in less than 15 years.

The problem in South Africa's economics is not the lack of graduates but it's the lack of startup businesses. So after spending R60bn on people (who eventually dropout) they'll still have little prospects of finding jobs, at least the ones they studied for. I personally know plenty of varsity graduates with shitty jobs. So what is my solution.....?

It's simple, the only free education that the state should engage in is at technical college level like FETs (or TVETs as they call them now). Someone who can't afford to go to university should at least get a technical skill that he could turn into a job. Secondly, cut down on child support grant and invest that money on business opportunity making schemes especially in the townships and rural areas like affordable light industrial zones and office spaces. At least then graduates with technical skills can make use of them for self employment opportunities.

Till then, everything will crumble in the name of free education with no benefits.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 7:57am On Feb 22, 2018
Here's a short military/alien film shot in Johannesburg and Witbank. American and South Africa cast with a South African director, Neill Blomkamp..... Forget it says Texas.

There's the Denel Iklwa and RG series vehicles doing an alien chase down. Pretty much dark but it's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 8:07am On Feb 22, 2018
ActivateKruger:
Here's a short military/alien film shot in Johannesburg and Witbank. Forget it says Texas.

There's the Denel Iklwa and RG series vehicles doing an alien chase down. Pretty much dark but it's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

Most Oats videos are filmed 100% in South africa. Seeing how it is a south African studio. These videos are basically them showing what they can do.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 22, 2018
andrewza:

Most Oats videos are filmed 100% in South africa. Seeing how it is a south African studio. These videos are basically them showing what they can do.

You owe this thread some pics! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 22, 2018
Nigerian Navy

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 10:08am On Feb 22, 2018
Frumentum:

Our navy guy never posts pics, I'm starting to think he eats calamari and snook fish all day long grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 22, 2018
61mech:
The G-7 have been languishing in development for a long time. The requirement came from the SANDF in the 90's. Denel stated that they dont have the funds to finish the qualification and final production version. Problem is that most countries that have to replace their 105's wont want to use the g-7's proprietary ammo. They'd prefer to buy a gun that can fire the existing stocks of NATO 105 ammo. It would make sense to sell the turret IP to get the gun and ammo into production for a launch customer. I don't see the SANDF buying it soon if at all.

Is this not a great opportunity for Denel to resuscitate its partnership with General Dynamics and offer the G-7?
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18550/us-army-eyes-replacing-its-105mm-and-155mm-towed-howitzers-with-one-new-cannon
cc: MikeCZA

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 22, 2018
Behold, the Bronco II! grin grin grin

Here’s the New “Bronco II” Precision Strike Aircraft for Counterinsurgency/Irregular Warfare missions

Based on the weird South African AHRLAC aircraft (Advanced High-Performance Reconnaissance Light Aircraft) the Bronco II was launched today in the US market.
On Feb. 21, the newly created Bronco Combat System (BCS) USA announced the launch of the Bronco II, a two-crew C4ISR and precision strike aircraft, based on the South Africa’s first indigenous turboprop aircraft designed AHRLAC (Advanced High-performance Reconnaissance and Surveillance Aircraft), developed by a joint venture between the Paramount Group and Aerosud.

The name of the new light aircraft was inspired by the OV-10 Bronco, the U.S. aircraft developed in the 1960s as a special aircraft for counter-insurgency (COIN) combat and used today by the U.S. Special Operations Command to hunt ISIS militants in Iraq.

https://theaviationist.com/?p=51017

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 22, 2018
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 12:11pm On Feb 22, 2018
Frumentum:

I am 570km out from Simon's town. In a bus. I will post pics tommorow
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 12:14pm On Feb 22, 2018
ActivateKruger:

Our navy guy never posts pics, I'm starting to think he eats calamari and snook fish all day long grin

I don't want to end up like a certain member here that get in to trouble with the int guys. They mountoir all sites that reference the SANDF. But the pics from armed forces day are fine. Only 10 things I did not get a pic of that I wanted.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 22, 2018
andrewza:

I don't want to end up like a certain member here that get in to trouble with the int guys. They mountoir all sites that reference the SANDF. But the pics from armed forces day are fine. Only 10 things I did not get a pic of that I wanted.

grin grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 1:16pm On Feb 22, 2018
jln115:

You mean Rooikat 75?? And honestly we really don't need more Armour..... That's one of the few divisions in the defence force which is adequate for now!!

No the 105,specifically made for anti armour as seen in the first pic. IIRC,an APS has been developed.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 1:24pm On Feb 22, 2018
Frumentum:

Armour is the least of our priorities.

1) More OPVs;
2) Some MPAs to replace the Turbo Daks;
3) Heavy air lift;
4) Medium air lift to replace our aged C-130s;
5) Restoring air2air refuelling;
6) Army Logistics trucks to replace SAMILs;
etc etc.

I asked earlier but didn't get an answer. What's Ramaphosas's response to SADF needs? Will he act or will it be more of the same?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2018
kikuyu1:

I asked earlier but didn't get an answer. What's Ramaphosas's response to SADF needs? Will he act or will it be more of the same?

Expect nothing different from him.

Zuma wasn't the problem, ANC is.

Maybe when out-of-the-circle politicians like Julius Malema takes over maybe something can be different.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 22, 2018
kikuyu1:

No the 105,specifically made for anti armour as seen in the first pic. IIRC,an APS has been developed.
There are no 105 in service..... Never was, and never will be.

And they were not specifically built for anti armour......they were built for combat recce. Anti armour is a secondary(possibility even tertiary) role.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Expect nothing different from him.

Zuma wasn't the problem, ANC is.

Maybe when out-of-the-circle politicians like Julius Malema takes over maybe something can be different.
Actually the top brass of SANDF is as much to blame as the ANC.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2018
kikuyu1:

If if he wanted to, there is simply no money.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2018
kikuyu1:

The 105 is not used by sandf. We use the 76 and it is used primarily as a recon vehicle and raider. Not anti Armour.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 3:08pm On Feb 22, 2018
jln115:

There are no 105 in service..... Never was, and never will be.

And they were not specifically built for anti armour......they were built for combat recce. Anti armour is a secondary(possibility even tertiary) role.

That's not how they're being used today. It might have been developed for long range recorn but that's not really possible in the 21st century, warfare has changed. A lone Rooikat inside a fully capable enemy would be dead meat and the SANDF generals new that as soon as the Bush War ended. No one bothered with the 105 Rooikat because in the 90s we were certain that we were getting those 100+ MBT with the Arms Deal. The new MBTs never came, then we would have to supplement the Olifants with something and the Kat is the only thing that can fit the 105 turret without falling on weight. Truth be told, it's highly needed so it be used on flanks in a tank vs tank war.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:17pm On Feb 22, 2018
andrewza:

I am 570km out from Simon's town. In a bus. I will post pics tommorow
If you took photos of the Hornet RDRV, kindly post them.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2018
A very well protected "technical"!!! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2018
Frumentum:
A very well protected "technical"!!! grin grin grin

It should be of note that the 23mm AA fell off from the bush, the Cubans were too careless. grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 22, 2018
Anyone know when we acquired these Bell cabs?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 3:42pm On Feb 22, 2018
Frumentum:
Anyone know when we acquired these Bell cabs?

It was probably delivered by some tenderpreneur, all he had to do was to paint it brown, Defenceweb didn't get the memo.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 4:40pm On Feb 22, 2018
ActivateKruger:

That's not how they're being used today. It might have been developed for long range recorn but that's not really possible in the 21st century, warfare has changed. A lone Rooikat inside a fully capable enemy would be dead meat and the SANDF generals new that as soon as the Bush War ended. No one bothered with the 105 Rooikat because in the 90s we were certain that we were getting those 100+ MBT with the Arms Deal. The new MBTs never came, then we would have to supplement the Olifants with something and the Kat is the only thing that can fit the 105 turret without falling on weight. Truth be told, it's highly needed so it be used on flanks in a tank vs tank war.

It won't be a lone roikat. It will be at least 5. There mission and role has not changed. The job the 105mm would do in South Africa is done better by the Olyphant and ingwene launchers of the rate and badger.

We not excepting the roikat to attack defended positions alone.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 4:41pm On Feb 22, 2018
Henry240:

If you took photos of the Hornet RDRV, kindly post them.

I have pics of 4 different types.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 22, 2018
andrewza:

I have pics of 4 different types.
Cool, please post them.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 5:53pm On Feb 22, 2018
I agree fully, the G-7 would fit in perfectly with a Stryker Brigade.
That system can also provide direct fire support unlike any of the other options.
The modular charge system is still a problem for the US army. Thats why they didn't want to bite the last time.
Get the feeling from reading the article that they don't really know what they want though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAcnYYxKro

Frumentum:

Is this not a great opportunity for Denel to resuscitate its partnership with General Dynamics and offer the G-7?
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18550/us-army-eyes-replacing-its-105mm-and-155mm-towed-howitzers-with-one-new-cannon
cc: MikeCZA

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1603) (1604) (1605) (1606) (1607) (1608) (1609) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.