Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1604) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5962523 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1601) (1602) (1603) (1604) (1605) (1606) (1607) ... (2842) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 18, 2018
andrewza:

America has not replaced the M16 with the M4. This alone is a fact that you got wrong. A big fact.

America has through the years tried to replace the M16 and M4 and it was dropped every time.

I suggest you get some knowledge on this fact.

That's the spirit bro... cheesy

Did you put on American Army Uniform and land boots in their barracks before you get what you just wrote up there ?
No!
You read all online.

So now you see, not until you become Uniform man before you gain Military knowledge about weaponry. wink

Now run along bro... Read some more and be humble
Good luck. cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:55pm On Feb 18, 2018
X
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 18, 2018
lionel4power:

the truth is that no man can know the fine intricacies of a particular trade without being part of it however, time and technology have made it possible for a regular Joe to have basic understanding of how issues work.

for instance, nemesis4u a fine un-uniformed lad here who has great knowledge of how most military technologies work.

Sir I have been uniformed
But whether it was for a fancy dress competition or for something else is a matter of debate. grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Krak(m): 9:36pm On Feb 18, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Did you put on American Army Uniform and land boots in their barracks before you get what you just wrote up there ?
No!
You read all online.

So now you see, not until you become Uniform man before you gain Military knowledge about weaponry. wink

Good luck. cool
You sound so immature.

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 10:10pm On Feb 18, 2018
Henry240:

I used to love the Igirigi so much. Pity we could not sustain it.

All, Army recognition is about to do a story on the PF ARA MRAP and PF2 delivered to the Nigerian army.
Henry.
The COAS stated that the NEC has released the $1B and the NA is about to procure:
1.MRAPS
2.APCs.
This was in one of his speeches this past weekend.
Question do we know if these MRAPS. and APCs are coming from ProForce or from South Africa?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by officialdayo: 10:22pm On Feb 18, 2018
nemesis4u:

But whether it was for a fancy dress competition or for something else is a matter of debate. grin

M.I
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 10:36pm On Feb 18, 2018
grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 18, 2018
officialdayo:

M.I
Lol

Fancy dress competition grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 3:54am On Feb 19, 2018
abiodunalasa:

No!
You read all online.

Good luck. cool

I did not read any of this online. I have freinds in the US armed forces.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:45am On Feb 19, 2018
andrewza:

I did not read any of this online. I have freinds in the US armed forces.

Ok bro.
I know most of you guys on this Military thread have some Ego issue. You hate to be told that you are wrong. Even upon compelling evidence you will still keep arguing.
So if you will excuse me, I am tired of this side talk already. Case close. cool

As for you Krak... I dont reply people without credibility. Now run along and get some. wink

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 6:54am On Feb 19, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Ok bro.
I know most of you guys on this Military thread have some Ego issue. You hate to be told that you are wrong. Even upon compelling evidence you will still keep arguing.
So if you will excuse me, I am tired of this side talk already. Case close. cool

As for you Krak... I dont reply people without credibility. Now run along and get some. wink

So the fact that I point out your mistakes you want to run away?

You presented zero evidence, you present a false fact when you stated the M4 replaced the M16, you then mentioned the whole plan to replace the the current AR15 based rifles. A plan that been on and off for years.

I then pointed out how I know this from talking to people since that's how you get the real info.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Josfactz: 7:48am On Feb 19, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Ok bro.

Stop all dz ur nonsense
N disrespectful attitude

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by CaptainStephen(m): 8:13am On Feb 19, 2018
I am currently mobilising a Brigade with every equipment they will need from personal weapons, Support weapons, Artillery, Armour and even Air support too.
No need for training since you can get everything online, I will ensure free WiFi too.

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:39am On Feb 19, 2018
Josfactz:

Stop all dz ur nonsense
N disrespectful attitude

Ok sir wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:41am On Feb 19, 2018
CaptainStephen:
I am currently mobilising a Brigade with every equipment they will need from personal weapons, Support weapons, Artillery, Armour and even Air support too.
No need for training since you can get everything online, I will ensure free WiFi too.
Lol grin

Pls sir ensure to enlist me in such marvelous Brigade... It will be my honor cool

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kenpaul0: 9:42am On Feb 19, 2018
What was her role in all this?

Henry240:
Meet Flight Lieutenant Nkemdilim Anulika Ofodile of the Nigerian Air Force HQ

She is the only female in the team of NAF's aerospace engineers who designed the Tsaigumi UAV, Nigeria's first indigenous operational remotely piloted aircraft commissioned by President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, February 15 at the Nigeria Airforce Base Kaduna Kawo.

30-year old Ofodile holds a PhD in Control Engineering from the University of Leicester in England and she is happily married.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 19, 2018
andrewza:

So the fact that I point out your mistakes you want to run away?

You presented zero evidence, you present a false fact when you stated the M4 replaced the M16, you then mentioned the whole plan to replace the the current AR15 based rifles. A plan that been on and off for years.

I then pointed out how I know this from talking to people since that's how you get the real info.

Sir..

Maybe that friend of yours in the US Armed Forces is saying what he did not know or did not know what he is saying... That's even if that friend is actually a Uniform man.

After Vietnam war, there was lot of complains from veterans and researchers alike about the experience of M16 in the heat of battle.
This led to the decision to create another weapon. Just like M16 was created in 1960 based on the experience and complaints of World war 2 veterans.

So in 1980 M4 was created. And gradually till now M4 is the STANDARD combat rifle of the US forces especially the Marines.

M16 was relegated to Training and Boot camp purposes.

Read this... https://www.at3tactical.com/blogs/news/10951661-m16-vs-m4-vs-ar15-a1-a2-a3-or-a4-understanding-the-different-types-of-ar15-rifles.

Now presently among veterans and Researchers alike... The M4 rifle is responsible for more death than necessary in the Middle east.
Thus, there's a heating debate to either change the rifle completely or modify its Ammo.

Read this... https://www.range365.com/m4-rifle-is-terribly-flawed-weapon.

Have a nice day wink

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 12:25pm On Feb 19, 2018
CaptainStephen:

This is hilarious.

I'm a Mechanic and it's funny how most of the money we make comes from fixing cars where the owner saw something on the internet and thought they could do it themselves, we call them "INTERNET MECHANICS".. It's damn hilarious how a person who has no practical experience in fixing cars will read sh!t online and then suddenly claim to know more than people who've been doing those things for years. People don't understand how dangerous the internet is.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 12:30pm On Feb 19, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Lol grin

Pls sir ensure to enlist me in such marvelous Brigade... It will be my honor cool

You should be the Commanding Officer and lead from the front Bro!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 19, 2018
Centrifude:

You should be the Commanding Officer and lead from the front Bro!

Damn right sir! I will deliver Sambisa, Bakassi and Gulf of Guinea to you in a couple of days.

If I dont, cut my balls cool
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 12:38pm On Feb 19, 2018
nemesis4u:

we'll know you are a top secret service agent of In*** despite all your efforts to cloak it people still know...

Agent Nemesis
smiley smiley smiley
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 19, 2018
Centrifude:

This is hilarious.

I'm a Mechanic and it's funny how most of the money we make comes from fixing cars where the owner saw something on the internet and thought they could do it themselves, we call them "INTERNET MECHANICS".. It's damn hilarious how a person who has no practical experience in fixing cars will read sh!t online and then suddenly claim to know more than people who've been doing those things for years. People don't understand how dangerous the internet is.

Bros... Dont jump into the discuss sir.

Anybody who thinks because he read something online then he is better than people who engage in it everyday... Such person is mentally insufficient wink
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 2:13pm On Feb 19, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Sir..

Maybe that friend of yours in the US Armed Forces is saying what he did not know or did not know what he is saying... That's even if that friend is actually a Uniform man.

After Vietnam war, there was lot of complains from veterans and researchers alike about the experience of M16 in the heat of battle.
This led to the decision to create another weapon. Just like M16 was created in 1960 based on the experience and complaints of World war 2 veterans.

So in 1980 M4 was created. And gradually till now M4 is the STANDARD combat rifle of the US forces especially the Marines.

Read this... https://www.at3tactical.com/blogs/news/10951661-m16-vs-m4-vs-ar15-a1-a2-a3-or-a4-understanding-the-different-types-of-ar15-rifles.

Now presently among veterans and Researchers alike... The M4 rifle is responsible for more death than necessary in the Middle east.
Thus, there's a heating debate to either change the rifle completely or modify its Ammo.

Have a nice day wink

The issues with the m16 in Vietnam was due to cheapen manufacturing and training. The m4 is a short barreled m16 it is the. Both are still used along side each other. The American solders I have spoken to don't see issues with the ar15 platform has it is now.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Krak(m): 2:21pm On Feb 19, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Ok bro.

Oh, my pleasure. I already know I was wasting my time by quoting you.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:56pm On Feb 19, 2018
Theirs a lot of myths around the M-16 and the Vietnam war. Here's what actually happened.
A pantagon official decided to use leftover propellant for the ammo used when the rifle came into service. Remember, the 5.56 round was just as new as the rifle. This was against the recommendations of the team that developed the M-16. The AR uses a direct gas impingement system. Gas is bled off the barrel and then sent back into the operating system. I've attached a pic of it bellow.
The old propellant burned very dirty and this caused big problems. When they changed the propellant to what the designer spec'd , the problem went away.
The troops weren't issued cleaning kits or trained to properly maintain the rifle either , but the ammo was the real cause of the issues.
The M-4 is actually more mud resistant than the AK. It has a dust cover that stops dirt from getting in to the operating system in the first place were as the AK is a much more open system. Especially with the safety off.
I own 6 AR's and 4 AK variants including a Galil (which I was trained on in the Army). I also shoot AR's in competitions and believe me , a properly maintained AR is just as reliable as a AK.
The lack of killing power of the 5.56 is also a myth. It has more to do with US policy regarding the Hague convention than anything else. The US military can produce a much deadlier round in that caliber, but they constrict themselves to the idiotic Hague treaty. The US is actually not a signatory , but follows the convention voluntarily. Their is much more deadlier ammo available on the civilian market. So much so, that you can actually hunt deer and pigs with it in certain states.

Their is a good Youtube channel called InRangeTV that does dirt and mud testing on various rifles if you are interested in seeing how different rifles cope.

andrewza:

The issues with the m16 in Vietnam was due to cheapen manufacturing and training. The m4 is a short barreled m16 it is the. Both are still used along side each other. The American solders I have spoken to don't see issues with the ar15 platform has it is now.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:07pm On Feb 19, 2018
abiodunalasa:

Sir..

Have a nice day wink

1. Contrary to popular belief, the Americans have been operating carbines based on the AR system since the M16 first entered service - the CAR-15 and XM177 saw widespread service in Vietnam and was extremely popular.

2. The M4 is by now means "new" and certainly was not "created", it naturally evolved from the XM177 - essentially M4 = "XM177-A1"

3. Contrary to popular belief the M16 has not been phased out of service. Those whom may have a superficial understanding of the US military could think just that - you see troops in Afghanistan and you think that reflects their armed services as a whole. What you fail to take into account is that the overwhelming majority of the US militarys manpower is composed of both Reservists and National Guard. The Reserves and the National Guard still make extensive use of M16A4's.

Finally:
a. there is as it stands no plan in place to replace the AR system or 5.56. Hell, France and Germany pretty much just jumped on the AR train.
b. The standard rifle of the Marines is now the M27, not the M4.
b. If Marine procurement is any indicator (M27), they are moving back towards full length rifles (17 inch).

You would do well to avoid posting blogs and opinion pieces, especially when it comes to shooting. The shooting community is outright cancerous when it comes to mythology.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fufubear: 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2018
Slight correction.

M16a4 is used by the marine corps. USAR and National guard combat support use M16a2 (at least I've never seen an M16a4). Everything else is on point.

Well National Guard is a little complicated because their procurement is different from federal soldiers. The state buys the weapons they want (obviously it's not a real variety of choices but it's still up to the state).

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:39pm On Feb 19, 2018
61mech:
Theirs a lot of myths around the M-16 and the Vietnam war. Here's what actually happened.
A pantagon official decided to use leftover propellant for the ammo used when the rifle came into service. Remember, the 5.56 round was just as new as the rifle. This was against the recommendations of the team that developed the M-16. The AR uses a direct gas impingement system. Gas is bled off the barrel and then sent back into the operating system. I've attached a pic of it bellow.
The old propellant burned very dirty and this caused big problems. When they changed the propellant to what the designer spec'd , the problem went away.
The troops weren't issued cleaning kits or trained to properly maintain the rifle either , but the ammo was the real cause of the issues.
The M-4 is actually more mud resistant than the AK. It has a dust cover that stops dirt from getting in to the operating system in the first place were as the AK is a much more open system. Especially with the safety off.
I own 6 AR's and 4 AK variants including a Galil (which I was trained on in the Army). I also shoot AR's in competitions and believe me , a properly maintained AR is just as reliable as a AK.
The lack of killing power of the 5.56 is also a myth. It has more to do with US policy regarding the Hague convention than anything else. The US military can produce a much deadlier round in that caliber, but they constrict themselves to the idiotic Hague treaty. The US is actually not a signatory , but follows the convention voluntarily. Their is much more deadlier ammo available on the civilian market. So much so, that you can actually hunt deer and pigs with it in certain states.

Their is a good Youtube channel called InRangeTV that does dirt and mud testing on various rifles if you are interested in seeing how different rifles cope.

"lethality"

To add to your point the "muh lethal tumbling AK round" is a myth. It relates to poor QC and sh1tty ammo being produced in certain asian ammunition plants that resulted in air-pockets forming under the jacket during the casting or molding process, completely unintentional. While this may sound awesome, it resulted in ammunition with potato ballistic properties (one of the likely causes of the "AK is inaccurate" myth) Another element is that the AK-47 and AKMS use 7.62 - a big 'ol round.

The only truly lethal ammunition is Yugo M67 which was indeed designed specifically to tumble upon contact with its target. However they stopped making it 30 years ago and the American private shooting market has consumed vast quantities of it - the era of "spam cans" is over.

Modern Russian and Ukrainian ammo is steel-core or thermally-hardened core (under the jacket) and they use the AK-74 family (5.45) in any case. Its designed for penetration, while every study as of yet performed showes that 5.45 is less likely to fragment and less likely to deform upon contact with flesh than the NATO 5.56 round.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2018
patches689:

1. Contrary to popular belief, the Americans have been operating carbines based on the AR system since the M16 first entered service - the CAR-15 and XM177 saw widespread service in Vietnam and was extremely popular.

2. The M4 is by now means "new" and certainly was not "created", it naturally evolved from the XM177 - essentially M4 = "XM177-A1"

3. Contrary to popular belief the M16 has not been phased out of service. Those whom may have a superficial understanding of the US military could think just that - you see troops in Afghanistan and you think that reflects their armed services as a whole. What you fail to take into account is that the overwhelming majority of the US militarys manpower is composed of both Reservists and National Guard. The Reserves and the National Guard still make extensive use of M16A4's.

Finally:
a. there is as it stands no plan in place to replace the AR system or 5.56. Hell, France and Germany pretty much just jumped on the AR train.
b. The standard rifle of the Marines is now the M27, not the M4.
b. If Marine procurement is any indicator (M27), they are moving back towards full length rifles (17 inch).

You would do well to avoid posting blogs and opinion pieces, especially when it comes to shooting. The shooting community is outright cancerous when it comes to mythology.

Correction

till date there haven't been any real confirmation of the M27 replacing the M16 in USMC inventory. the M27 was supposed to replace or complement the M249 light machine gun in suppressive fire role.

http://www.military.com/news/article/corps-to-replace-saw-with-automatic-rifle.html

The M27 is essentially an HK416 with accessories, the M27 is carried by only one member of each infantry fire team: the automatic rifleman.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 19, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, February 15, commissioned an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) built by the Nigerian Air Force - The Tsaigumi UAV is the first indigenous operational remotely piloted aircraft designed and produced by a team of the NAF aerospace engineers - NAIJ.com had an exclusive interview with Flight Lieutenant Nkemdilim Anulika Ofodile, the only female officer in the team Flight Lieutenant Nkemdilim Anulika Ofodile is the only female in the team of the Nigerian Air Force aerospace engineers that designed the recently commissioned Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) - Tsaigumi. The Tsaigumi UAV was produced in collaboration with UAVision of Portugal, and would be used for ISR operations in land and sea domains. It could also be used for policing operations, disaster management, convoy protection, maritime patrol, pipeline and power line monitoring as well as mapping and border patrol duties. Although she graduated from Covenant University in 2009 where she read Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Flight Lieutenant Ofodile later went on to get a PhD in Control Engineering from the University of Leicester in England. Flight Lieutenant Ofodile poses with the Tsaigumi UAV at the Nigeria Air Force Base Kaduna Kawo. READ ALSO: Newly inducted fighter drone will boost security operations - Buhari She worked on the avionics section of the team given her background in aircraft control engineering. Narrating to NAIJ.com her experience working with the team, Ofodile said she enjoyed working with other engineers on the team, describing them as 'really smart.' Her words: “I am happy to have worked under such a team of innovative people. We seem to have collaborated really nicely and everything we've done has resulted in the aircraft that was inducted including its ground control station. “The avionics team have done quite a lot to get the aircraft to where it is, including the structures team - those that designed the body of the aircraft itself. “I do hope that we do get a chance to get some more people with such caliber of knowledge and experience to work with us in the future to upgrade into the new that will be worked on." Asked if there is more to come from the team, Ofodile answered in the affirmative, adding that, “I do hope we can get all the resources and help we can get." She thanked the chief of air staff, Air Marshal Saddique Abubakar, for his commitment in ensuring that personnel welfare is taken seriously under his leadership. She also advised young ladies in the society to never relent in their quest for excellence, stressing that they should not only work hard, but work smart. “I do hope that young ladies out there will never take no for an answer and do what is in their heart,” she concluded. READ ALSO: 7 important things President Buhari said during fighter drone induction Watch the video interview on NAIJ.com TV Source: Naija.ng Read more: https://www.naija.ng/1152900-exclusive-naij-interviews-female-naf-aerospace-engineer-tsaigumi-uav-production-team.html#1152900

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 6:13pm On Feb 19, 2018
61mech:

Thanks for the detailed info. I know the Vietnam issue is no long relevant. Every American solder I know only speaks praise about it. Just come short in long range shootings like in mountains.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 19, 2018
NAIJ.com had an exclusive interview with Flight Lieutenant Nkemdilim Anulika Ofodile, the only female officer in the team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OJru4o2WHI

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1601) (1602) (1603) (1604) (1605) (1606) (1607) ... (2842) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.