Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (576) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5966503 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 07, 2016
@Gottfried
This news broadcast mentions that the Navy base on Impalila Island has been completed grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iEjpdoEbM
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 8:48pm On Aug 07, 2016
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 8:52pm On Aug 07, 2016
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tsdarkside(m): 9:41pm On Aug 07, 2016
fulani photographer:..."shey you ready so,fa"??...

grin grin grin grin

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 10:09pm On Aug 07, 2016
ViceAdmiral:
@Gottfried
This news broadcast mentions that the Navy base on Impalila Island has been completed grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iEjpdoEbM
That would explain where all the marines "Jungle" camo went... grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by BlackBaron: 10:09pm On Aug 07, 2016
I came here to ask that too...
Surely an Igla, but need confirmation if Nigeria ever had one or an external source.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 07, 2016
giles14:
is dat an igla SAM.
www.nairaland.com/3274669/abubakar-shekau-still-alive-aye
That's surely an Igla SAM, but where did they get that from?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 11:36pm On Aug 07, 2016
Henry240:

That's surely an Igla SAM, but where did they get that from?

possibly Libya or maybe Sudan.I just dey pity does our A-jet not to talk of d IRS assets.

if I might ask who have d NAF & NA been hitting
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:39pm On Aug 07, 2016
giles14:

possibly Libya or maybe Sudan.I just dey pity does our A-jet not to talk of d IRS assets.

It's actually our Helicopters that are at immediate risk. The ISR assets fly above Manpad ceiling, so we actually don't have a lot to fear there.

I really don't seem to understand who those numerous air strikes have been hitting either. They always look well armed, well feed and organised in their propaganda videos.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:44pm On Aug 07, 2016
giles14:

To be honest, at this point, we should just settle in, accept terrorism has come to say in Nigeria, and then, make sure we confine the terrorist threat to Sambisa forest.

This is just the reality. I simply do not know how we can defeat this threat.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 11:56pm On Aug 07, 2016
Henry240:

To be honest, at this point, we should just settle in, accept terrorism has come to say in Nigeria, and then, make sure we confine the terrorist threat to Sambisa forest.

This is just the reality. I simply do not know how we can defeat this threat.
I just hop and pray dat d SAM are just dummies n maybe just does 2,cos if not we don buy market.

who knows wot other weapons does group might have dat is not knw
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 1:19am On Aug 08, 2016
patches689:

Windows 7

Brah
lol where you expecting linux ubuntu or command face UI it doesnt matter if its windows so long as it does its job.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by BlackBaron: 2:28am On Aug 08, 2016
Actually depending on the types of manoeuvre used, jets and helicopters are vulnerable. Quite a few Syrian fixed wing assets went down to manpads.
Newer aircrafts have counter measures to easily defeat iglas.

The truth may be,the SAM lacks the full compliment of the accessories. After their attempts with wooden ak47s.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:59am On Aug 08, 2016
Nigeria COIN

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 08, 2016
South-Africa

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 08, 2016
Algeria

The MI-26 looks like a sad, fat pigeon. gringrin

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 08, 2016
OFF-TOPIC

Bonus

Russian Aerospace Forces SU-30SM

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 08, 2016
giles14:
I just hop and pray dat d SAM are just dummies n maybe just does 2,cos if not we don buy market.

who knows wot other weapons does group might have dat is not knw

Sometimes i wonder what the role of the DSS is, in this Insurgency. We have already "bought market", fvcking illiterates now operate SAMs in a Nigerian conflict. I mean, it sounds very odd, and quite irritating reading it.

Let's brace ourselves, we are going down the Turkey, Pakistan, Colombia route. It's going to be a really long night. These cockroaches don't seem to die off.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:31am On Aug 08, 2016
giles14:
is dat an igla SAM.

www.nairaland.com/3274669/abubakar-shekau-still-alive-aye
those are SA-7 Grail 9K32 Strela-2 manpads missing grip stocks and cylindrical thermal batteries

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by BlackBaron: 9:29am On Aug 08, 2016
When a country buys a MANPADS system, they get a standard package which includes several different types of training missiles. One type is a simple, non-functional cut-away dummy which is used to train operators on the basic construction of the weapon. They also get some non-functional models which are used for very simple training (pointing, etc.) The most elaborate type is a functional trainer which operates like the real thing and has a functioning seeker (but not a warhead or rocket motor) so that the trainee can understand what happens when they operate the real thing. The most elaborate type is a trainer that hooks into a desk-top computer simulator where the computer can be used to generate targets that are viewed on a small video device attached to the gripstock.

... On MANPADS, the gripstock (the lower section with the trigger, thermal battery and electronic package) is reusable, while the missile in its launch tube/transport tube, and the thermal battery are replaced for each launch.

Details on how Russian iglas work. By Steve Zaloga as featured on BrownMoses' blog

Those shown in the video are now confirmed to be missing essential components. The thermal batteries are also the most difficult to get as shown where Syrian rebels have captured quite a few dozens but lack an important bit rendering them useless than just for photo gratification.
Whilst the video is unclear, it does look like a Libyan green colour scheme
http://kentimmerman.com/df_files/Libya_Igla_Egptian-gripstock.JPG
Same found their way to Niger at some point.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Katyusha(m): 9:39am On Aug 08, 2016
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 08, 2016
Henry240:

It's actually our Helicopters that are at immediate risk.

You chaps might want to do what our 16 Squadron does up in the DRC as a matter of doctrine and SOPs: even though there's no evidence any of the numerous rebel groups have manpads, the Rooivalks carry flares and fire them prior to engaging a target, just in case.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 08, 2016
BlackBaron:

Details on how Russian iglas work. By Steve Zaloga as featured on BrownMoses' blog

Those shown in the video are now confirmed to be missing essential components. The thermal batteries are also the most difficult to get as shown where Syrian rebels have captured quite a few dozens but lack an important bit rendering them useless than just for photo gratification.
Whilst the video is unclear, it does look like a Libyan green colour scheme Same found their way to Niger at some point.
thats photo you linked is still a SA-7 Grail 9K32 Strela-2
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 08, 2016
Algerian Navy new mine hunter " El Kasseh 1" 501 a modified version of the Katanpaa class mine countermeasure vessels .

we can see the OTO Melara Marlin-WS from close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQmnIuRsS8
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 08, 2016
"El Kasseh 1" 501 delivry soon to Algerian Navy

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:32pm On Aug 08, 2016
overhypedsteve:
lol where you expecting linux ubuntu or command face UI it doesnt matter if its windows so long as it does its job.

Isnt Linux supposed to be safer?

I know that the French Gendarme use Linux on all of their systems... dont ask how I know.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 08, 2016
frumentius:

You chaps might want to do what our 16 Squadron does up in the DRC as a matter of doctrine and SOPs: even though there's no evidence any of the numerous rebel groups have manpads, the Rooivalks carry flares and fire them prior to engaging a target, just in case.

They would have no choice to, although they may currently be doing that already. The Air Force hasn't released any MI-35 combat footages yet, so we cannot say for certain was sort of counter-measures the Helicopters carry. I do agree that as a matter of SOP, release of flares before and after an attack must be done.

I know after engaging enemy targets F-7s release flares.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 2:33pm On Aug 08, 2016
Henry240:

They would have no choice to, although they may currently be doing that already. The Air Force hasn't released any MI-35 combat footages yet, so we cannot say for certain was sort of counter-measures the Helicopters carry. I do agree that as a matter of SOP, release of flares before and after an attack must be done.

After flares what ECM do our aircrafts and helo carry?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 2:42pm On Aug 08, 2016
tdayof:
After flares what ECM do our aircrafts and helo carry?

Good question. Might be worth it to invest in a MAW (missile approach warning) system, so air craft know they being shot at. Any thing else is a waist of money since you cant jame a Manpad. A few dedicated EW choppers, aircfat and vehicles would be useful for ELINT and SIGINT (electronic intelligence and signal intelligence) but fitting every aircraft with expensive EW sytems is not needed.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 2:45pm On Aug 08, 2016
Henry240:

I suspect they do. But then again the Russians fired flares before and after every attack. Not sure if there Choppet that got shot down had a MAW system. The aircraft Turkey shot down did not have one.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tsdarkside(m): 2:48pm On Aug 08, 2016
Henry240:
Algeria

The MI-26 looks like a sad, fat pigeon. gringrin

a sad, fat pigeon that can create a lot of mayhem...

fight is not about beauty,its about letality...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 2:48pm On Aug 08, 2016
andrewza:

Good question. Might be worth it to invest in a MAW (missile approach warning) system, so air craft know they being shot at. Any thing else is a waist of money since you cant jame a Manpad. A few dedicated EW choppers, aircfat and vehicles would be useful for ELINT and SIGINT (electronic intelligence and signal intelligence) but fitting every aircraft with expensive EW sytems is not needed.
MAW is something not too much to be developed. our military should develop please. MAW, RWR are being developed in my school, a whole country should be able to do better.

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.