Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,200 members, 7,845,960 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (640) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6007350 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (637) (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) ... (2849) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 15, 2016
7th Kenya Rifles Battalion Welcomes New Presidential Colour

The 7th Kenya Rifles Battalion (7KR) on Tuesday 13th September 2016 officially replaced the Presidential Colour, at a colourful ceremony held at the Lang’ata Barracks Nairobi.
In stylistic military performance, the old Colour finally took a bow and headed for the archives, with the new one taking charge, as hundreds of 7th Kenya Rifles officers, Service Members and their families watched in jubilation.
Speaking while presiding over the gala, Commander 4th Brigade Brigadier J N Mwamburi thanked the Battalion’s soldiers for their dedication to military duty, and for taking pride in both their Presidential and Regimental colours. He thanked the Defence Headquarters led by the Chief of Defence Forces, The Kenya Army Commander and the Logistics Department for enabling the event, which he termed as a milestone for the Battalion. He praised the outgoing Colour terming it as rich in history that would forever remain in the military’s archives. At the same time, Brigadier Mwamburi challenged the soldiers to keep working hard, and giving it their best, in performing their roles in the military, and in particular in fighting for the peace of Kenya. He also challenged the parade to continue displaying excellent skills, as the unit continues gracing national occasions.
Commanding Officer 7th Kenya Rifles Battalion, also appreciated Lieutenant Colonel G M Bebora also appreciated all those who participated in ensuring the success of the event. He also described the day as one that would remain in the history books for ever.
7th Battalion Kenya Rifles was established on 1st September 1968 and was presented with its initial Colours (both Presidential and Regimental) in 1969. The Presidential Colour was consecrated, presented and trooped during the 1969 Madaraka Day celebrations. The Colour had since its presentation to the unit been used in numerous Presidential parades that the Unit had undertaken over the 47 years of its existence. This inevitably led to deterioration of its quality, due to wear and tear, which necessitated the acquisition of a new one.
The occasion was graced by, Colonel in charge of Personnel Kenya Army, Colonel Gula, Deputy Commander 4th Brigade Colonel J Lesaiyo, other military officers, Defence Forces Sergeant Major Warrant Officer I J Muthoka, Kenya Army Sergeant Major Warrant Officer I William Ogutu, Kenya Air Force Sergeant Major Warrant Officer I Dennis Talengo, Kenya Defence Forces Service among others.

1.Commander 4th Brigade Brigadier J N Mwamburi address 7KR Officers and Service members at the ceremony.
2.Military Clergy bless the new 7KR Colour
3.7KR led by Colour officer Lieutenant F M Mwatsui matches off the Colour
4.The new 7KR Presidential Colour

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:53am On Sep 15, 2016
Countinue.....

Commanding Officer 7KR Lieutenant Colonel G M Bebora hands over the new 7KR Presidential Colour to the Colour Officer Lieutenant F M Mwatsu

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 10:43am On Sep 15, 2016
The Mbombe 8×8 appears to be one of the highlights of the Show,how practical is this in a Nigerian setting?.I am impressed by it's speed for such a beast to do over 100km/hr carrying that weight.
Does anyone know specifically what systems the CAS was focusing on?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 10:52am On Sep 15, 2016
LTGEN:
The Mbombe 8×8 appears to be one of the highlights of the Show,how practical is this in a Nigerian setting?.I am impressed by it's speed for such a beast to do over 100km/hr carrying that weight.
Does anyone know specifically what systems the CAS was focusing on?
Highlight? grin grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 11:07am On Sep 15, 2016
Denel Vehicle Systems "Africa Truck". Thought of as the potential replacement of our old Samil Trucks. It's fair to say that the South African
defence industry is still alive and kicking. Chief of the SANDF had cancelled a tender for international bidders to replace the
Samils, and asked Denel, CSIR and Armscor to come up with a locally developed prototype. (Rough summary of what happened)

Samil Truck

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 11:17am On Sep 15, 2016
http://www.janes.com/article/63771/denel-developing-cheetah-c-ram-missile

Denel Dynamics - Cheetah C-Ram missile

Rheinmetall to develop a missile that will be integrated with the Skyshield system to give it a counter rocket, artillery, and mortar (C-RAM) capability, it was announced during the Africa Aerospace and Defence (AAD) show held in South Africa 14-18 September.

"The concept was born out of two factors: one it is a business opportunity that we have identified and secondly to counter a threat that has emerged in the [African] continent. The South African defence force has been deployed on peacekeeping missions and we realised that they are under threat from mortars and artillery at relatively close range, so we needed a quick way of protecting our soldiers," Tsepo Monaheng, the chief executive officer of Denel Dynamics told IHS Jane's .

http://www.janes.com/article/63800/super-quick-c-ram-missile-aad16d2

"The Cheetah C-RAM missile system is seamlessly integrated into the Oerlikon Skyshield for a very powerful, layered air defence system, comprising a command post, one Skyshield sensor unit, two Oerlikon twin guns and up to two Cheetah missile launchers containing up to 60 missiles each. The system has a high level of automation and requires only a handful of operators for deployment. It provides area protection for forward bases at a 2.5km radius and can engage targets at a range of up to 6km."

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 11:23am On Sep 15, 2016
ssaengine:
Denel Vehicle Systems "Africa Truck". Thought of as the potential replacement of our old Samil Trucks. It's fair to say that the South African
defence industry is still alive and kicking. Chief of the SANDF had cancelled a tender for international bidders to replace the
Samils, and asked Denel, CSIR and Armscor to come up with a locally developed prototype. (Rough summary of what happened)

Samil Truck

Saw the CAS SANDF not CSANDF.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 11:25am On Sep 15, 2016
MikeCZA:
Saw the CAS SANDF not CSANDF.

Roger
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2016
Nigeria

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 1:44pm On Sep 15, 2016
http://m.engineeringnews.co.za/article/south-african-european-companies-to-cooperate-on-rooivalk-upgrade-2016-09-15/rep_id:4433

South African, European companies to cooperate on Rooivalk upgrade

Airbus Helicopters and Denel Aviation announced on Thursday that they were to cooperate on the upgrading of the South African Air Force's Denel Rooivalk Mark (Mk) 1 attack helicopters. The two companies signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to this end at the Africa Aerospace and Defence 2016 exhibition at Air Force Base Waterkloof in Centurion, just south of Pretoria.The upgrade will take the form of a phased programme and will improve the supportability of the helicopter, improve reliability and replace obsolete components. The Rooivalk Mk 1 already uses Airbus Helicopter technologies in its dynamic components. The MoU also includes a proposed action plan for the companies to follow, subject to approval by the South African government.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 2:30pm On Sep 15, 2016
NPF

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2016
ssaengine:

Samil Truck

Designed and built in 10 weeks

This is why we are one of the global giants of defence manufacture...

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 15, 2016
jakeporeshenko:
I agree, not every time top brass.
yes o
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 2:58pm On Sep 15, 2016
patches689:

Designed and built in 10 weeks

This is why we are one of the global giants of defence manufacture...

Using existing technology. So I see no big deal.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:01pm On Sep 15, 2016
tdayof:

Using existing technology. So I see no big deal.

The big deal is the ability to combine existing technology quickly and efficiently to create a new product.

10 weeks is fast, very fast.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 3:03pm On Sep 15, 2016
patches689:

The big deal is the ability to combine existing technology quickly and efficiently to create a new product.

10 weeks is fast, very fast.
ten weeks isn't a big deal with what I am seeing up there.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 3:07pm On Sep 15, 2016
tdayof:
ten weeks isn't a big deal with what I am seeing up there.

Then you never have and never will be an engineer. Stick to accounting or whatever it is you do.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 3:13pm On Sep 15, 2016
ssaengine:

Then you never have and never will be an engineer. Stick to accounting or whatever it is you do.
Boring write up. Go into engineering you will know better.

Take note 10 weeks is 2months and two weeks. Then look at the picture again.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 3:20pm On Sep 15, 2016
tdayof:

Boring write up. Go into engineering you will know better.

Take note 10 weeks is 2months and two weeks.

I am employed by the sister company that developed this "10 week truck", hence i do indeed know better. Stick to accounting as i said.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 3:39pm On Sep 15, 2016
ssaengine:

[s]I am employed by the sister company that developed this "10 week truck", hence i do indeed know better. Stick to accounting as i said. [/s]
Employed to the financial dept may be. Working at BMW doesn't make someone an automobile or mechanical engineer.
......and please I don't need lectures on Manufacturing engineering. I have participated in a lot.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Donian007: 3:40pm On Sep 15, 2016
Wow Wow Wow. General Henry240, really proud of what you're doing here, lovely thread, keep it up. And my other ogas at the top, I dey feel una wella
5 gboza for all of una head.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 3:50pm On Sep 15, 2016
ssaengine:
http://www.janes.com/article/63771/denel-developing-cheetah-c-ram-missile

Rheinmetall to develop a missile that will be integrated with the Skyshield system to give it a counter rocket, artillery, and mortar (C-RAM) capability, it was announced during the Africa Aerospace and Defence (AAD) show held in South Africa 14-18 September.

"The concept was born out of two factors: one it is a business opportunity that we have identified and secondly to counter a threat that has emerged in the [African] continent. The South African defence force has been deployed on peacekeeping missions and we realised that they are under threat from mortars and artillery at relatively close range, so we needed a quick way of protecting our soldiers," Tsepo Monaheng, the chief executive officer of Denel Dynamics told IHS Jane's .

http://www.janes.com/article/63800/super-quick-c-ram-missile-aad16d2

"The Cheetah C-RAM missile system is seamlessly integrated into the Oerlikon Skyshield for a very powerful, layered air defence system, comprising a command post, one Skyshield sensor unit, two Oerlikon twin guns and up to two Cheetah missile launchers containing up to 60 missiles each. The system has a high level of automation and requires only a handful of operators for deployment. It provides area protection for forward bases at a 2.5km radius and can engage targets at a range of up to 6km."
Wonder if it'll be offered as part of Denel ISM's Sable system.

Similar to the Lockheed Martin EAPS. The market isn't crowded yet.

Looks like we'll never abandon the apartheid era naming of our weapon systems after animals.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 4:12pm On Sep 15, 2016
tdayof:
Employed to the financial dept may be. Working at BMW doesn't make someone an automobile or mechanical engineer.
......and please I don't need lectures on Manufacturing engineering. I have participated in a lot.

You came to this thread late my friend. Been here for years and provided proof ages ago. Yes you do need lectures if that looks like a 10 week job to you. Bsc Mechanical Engineering Wits University, deal with it and move on.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Adminisher: 4:13pm On Sep 15, 2016
Odunayaw:
Any news about our MBB 339 c/d
?

This is a very relevant question
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 15, 2016
ssaengine:

those strips near the nose cone indicates that the missile uses laser proximity fuze.
thats based on my knowledge .

any detailed info on the missile ?
and any confirmation on my observation ?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 4:19pm On Sep 15, 2016
ssaengine:

You came to this thread late my friend. Been here for years and provided proof ages ago. Yes you do need lectures if that looks like a 10 week job to you. Bsc Mechanical Engineering Wits University, deal with it and move on.
Which matters, when I joined the cliq of engineers or what I know and am capable of already?

Sorry but what you typed is not an excuse.

This is a cool thread, so let concentrate on the topic.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 15, 2016
giles14:
just wish I could see d proforce stand

Same here. They are in the African Union stand though, along with Namibia, Uganda and Sudan. No stand-alone "stand".
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 15, 2016
tdayof:

Which matters, when I joined the cliq of engineers or what I know and am capable of already?

Sorry but what you typed is not an excuse.

This is a cool thread, so let concentrate on the topic.

.... And SSaengine, you guys should cool off. This argument isn't worth it, especially in this thread we have all worked hard to keep clean.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 4:33pm On Sep 15, 2016
nemesis2u:

those strips near the nose cone indicates that the missile uses laser proximity fuze.
thats based on my knowledge .

any detailed info on the missile ?
and any confirmation on my observation ?

What i'll say is very often when new products are revealed for the 1st time, a bit of trickery is used. Competitors are obviously watching. So the mock ups displayed might incorporate initial ideas that were scraped a while ago. As long as the product looks generally like the intended final design then it is displayed. I know with A-Darter missile the thrust vectoring fins that were displayed publicly for the 1st time were used to throw competitors off.

This project is still very early stages. So no details as yet.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 15, 2016
AAD 2016 Angola, Mali, Nigeria, Sudan To Get
Russian Mil Helicopters By 2017

Mil Mi-35M helicopter
TASS.

Similarly Russia had exported their
helicopters to exported to Angola,
Sudan, Uganda and Rwanda in 2014
and 2016. Many African nations seek to
buy inexpensive equipment, especially
used ones, he added. Russia’s military-
technical cooperation with the African
countries has been steadily increasing
for the past few years. "By and large
the share of Africa in the world export
of weapons is relatively small. For
instance sub-Saharan Africa accounts
for about two percent." Demchenko
said. However, Russia believes that the
African market is very promising for
Russia. Partly, this is a result of rising
threats from terrorists and pirates and
also due to drug trafficking and illegal
production of hydrocarbons and
seafood. Besides, the African countries
have increased their participation in
regional and international peace
keeping missions.

The exhibition in South Africa, which is
being held from September 14 to 18, is
the largest in Africa. According to the
organizers, nearly 400 companies from
43 countries are taking part.
The Russian delegation plans meetings
with delegates from more than 25
countries in Africa, as well as
delegations from a number of
countries in Europe, Asia and Latin
America.

http://www.defenseworld.net/
news/17..._Russian_Mil_Helicopters_
By_2017#.V9qUOSh96hc

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 15, 2016
Hey look, the MI-28NE helicopter has it's suitcase at AAD 2016 gringrin

Like a boss!

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 15, 2016
Nigeria has signed a memorandum of understanding
covering the sale of the joint Pakistani-Chinese PAC/
CAC JF-17 Thunder multirole fighter and a contract is
expected to be finalised by November, a senior
official from the Pakistan's Defence Export Promotion
Organization (DEPO) told IHS Jane's during the Africa
Aerospace and Defence (AAD) show held in South
Africa from 14-18 September.

The official declined to say how many JF-17s Nigeria
would order, but said the announcement was
expected during the IDEAS show that will be held in
Karachi in November.

He also declined to confirm that Nigeria will be the
first export operator of the JF-17 as Myanmar has
ordered the aircraft from China.
Nigeria's intention to acquire the fighter was revealed
in the federal budget document that was released in
January, which included NGN5 billion (USD25 million)
for three JF-17s as well NGN2.06 billion for 10 PAC
Super Mushshak basic trainers.
The DEPO official said that discussions were still
continuing with both the Nigerian Air Force and the
army's new aviation wing regarding the acquisition of
the Super Mushshak trainers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (637) (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) ... (2849) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.