Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (922) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5972756 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (919) (920) (921) (922) (923) (924) (925) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 7:41pm On Jan 29, 2017
frumentius:
Some bad news out of the DRC:

2 Hinds belonging to FARDC crashed around midday on Friday in bad weather. 2 Rooivalk were sent out to locate the choppers. Both helicopters came to rest on the slopes of Mount Mikeno, about 500m apart. Five personnel (2 Congolese and 3 Russians crew members) in total were rescued from the Mi-24 crash sites. The rescue operation took place at around 15:00UTC. 2 Rooivalk provided overwatch, 1 Oryx hoisted the crew with another in support. Three of the occupants of the FARDC Mi-24s were wounded and airlifted to Goma.

The 2 Hinds were part of 4 that were refurbished in Ukraine in 2012.

How do 2 Hinds crash simultaneously?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 29, 2017
GreenandGold:

How do 2 Hinds crash simultaneously?
Early assessment is mid-air collision or ground proximity up in the mountains, apparently. When I was there, none of the Russian birds, whether Congolese, Ukrainian, Indian, Bangladeshi etc, would fly in bad weather. This comes after the Ugandan Islamist ADF used an IED to target a vehicle transporting Congolese Hind pilots and crews.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 9:21pm On Jan 29, 2017
frumentius:

Early assessment is mid-air collision or ground proximity up in the mountains, apparently. When I was there, none of the Russian birds, whether Congolese, Ukrainian, Indian, Bangladeshi etc, would fly in bad weather. This comes after the Ugandan Islamist ADF used an IED to target a vehicle transporting Congolese Hind pilots and crews.

So Hinds can't fly in bad weather?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 9:25pm On Jan 29, 2017
The irony here is that, Hinds crashed and Rooivalks were sent to look for them.... These were the Rooivalks that were rubbished coz Hinds were "superior" by our Nairalanders.

Anyway, not interested in a debate - it's nighttime here. I'm out.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Obostone: 9:46pm On Jan 29, 2017
Obostone:

Same vest Ghana use, at least I think so. Did we buy it from Nigeria, any info.

I think I am correct. Check the list of countries Ghana buys defense equipment from, Nigeria has been added.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 9:48pm On Jan 29, 2017
GreenandGold:
The irony here is that, Hinds crashed and Rooivalks were sent to look for them.... These were the Rooivalks that were rubbished coz Hinds were "superior" by our Nairalanders.

Anyway, not interested in a debate - it's nighttime here. I'm out.
your plan to steer another debate/argument has failed.

better be out.

11 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ocelot2006(m): 10:18pm On Jan 29, 2017
Henry240:
Nigerian Navy SBS

Would've preferred if they used their FAST helmet & Marom Dolphin tactical vests.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 29, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

Can you spot that cameraman in the background? Videos like this don't get released to the public and I wonder why.

Yeah, I always notice those camera guys. What is required is a re-orientation.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 29, 2017
Patchesagain:

Whats the story with these things?

We bought 12 jets in the 80s to fulfill our strike roles, some the jets only haven averaged 150 hours of flight time, sanctions hit, the British refused to grant us spares, the economy tanked, the jets were not properly stored, we tried to salvage them in India after the economy improved, the Indians said they could not do it, the cost for the ones they could do wasn't realistic. We put the jets up for sale, and instead went for 15 F-7ni's from China.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 29, 2017
Odunayaw:
I can't compose a story but its lesson is [b]dont be stupid when making deals[\b]

That's not it, and you made it seem overly simplistic.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 29, 2017
Obostone:

I think I am correct. Check the list of countries Ghana buys defense equipment from, Nigeria has been added.

Bro, Wikipedia isn't a reliable source for some of the detailed information we need. We could have sold Ghana something else, until there is verifiable evidence, I don't think we sold Ghana those vests.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by NafeesaAA(f): 11:44pm On Jan 29, 2017
How true is this ?

Chengdu F7 air guard is a fighter interceptor and can't be used for counter insurgency operations against Boko Haram. They can't fly below 8.000 ft operationally.

The 2 ATR surveillance planes were bought by GEJ from France, the 2 Fokker 27 used before and bought by Shagari were discrepit.

T55 Tanks
Are you joking,those pieces of smoking irons are almost 30 years old.

193 Otokar Cobra was purchased by OBJ from Turkey. They were meant as scout cars and ALL of them didn't carry military grade Armour.

Before GEJ we had 2 operational Mi-24. GEJ bought 6 more and 4 continue to be on back order.

GEJ acquired 16 T72 Tanks from Ukraine via Poland.

MI-17 ISN'T an assault helicopter....its a UTILITY HELICOPTER,but tripods can be mounted on the doors to accommodate GPMG (Get your facts right)

GEJ purchased 2 AW139 medium lift and anti submarine helicopter for the Navy.

3 Super king utility helicopter bought from the US.

MT-LB personal carrier from Ukraine.

Mil-17 Helicopters from (6 fully paid for and awaiting delivery)

Before GEJ, only 3 aero-39 trainers were active. He reactivated 14 of them and are currently being used as low flying attack crafts.

GEJ reactivated 9 Alpha jets during his administration.

We only had ONE working heavy transport jet.... the G. 222. GEJ fixed and activated the 3 C 130 with help from US military AFRICOM.

4 Shaldag fast patrol crafts were purchased from Israel.

Defender coastal patrol boats purchased from the US.

More than 30 Lerici and lantra class patrol boats purchased from Vietnam and Hong Kong. (PMB received and commissioned 16 of them last month)

5 AW 109 utility helicopters purchased from Italy.

NNS Unity and NNS Centanial built and bought by GEJ via China.

41 BTR 4 infantry fighting vehicle with NBC protection capabilities from Ukraine.

120 CS VPE MRAP infantry vehicles from China

5 Casspir 3 MRAP from South Africa.

40 Reva MRAP from South Africa.

6 RM 70 Artillery from Yugoslavia.

****And get your FACTS straight.

Nigeria has 12 drones from China... The Yangon flash and the CH3

We have 2 indigenous manufactured drones with no weapon capability.....named Gulma & Amedo (high resolution cameras only)

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:12am On Jan 30, 2017
NafeesaAA:

We have 2 indigenous manufactured drones with no weapon capability.....named Gulma & Amedo (high resolution cameras only)

Where did you get this from? I hope this is not from a GEJ supporter. In this thread, we try not to post anything about politics. It seems like a rant.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 12:41am On Jan 30, 2017
Henry240:
Crowds of Gambian waving the Nigerian flag.
these are the kind of pictures that we want to see. Gentlemen there you have it, The Nigerian Backed Intervention in the Gambia have led to the removal of the Gambian Dictator Mr Yahaya Jammeh and for this reason the Gambian people cannot hold back their joy as they wave the colors of our nationhood. There is nothing anybody can say about it. Gambia is a textbook example of how to remove a dictator peacefully.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:51am On Jan 30, 2017
NafeesaAA:
How true is this ?

Chengdu F7 air guard is a fighter interceptor and can't be used for counter insurgency operations against Boko Haram. They can't fly below 8.000 ft operationally.

Yes, the F-7 is an interceptor. However it is not true to claim that they can't be used for COIN. 3 units are currently in Yola and I believe 3 more are in Maiduguri.

They can and have been used for COIN operations. There are countless NAF videos of the F-7 jets bombings Boko-Haram.

However they are not suited for the ground attack role they are currently used in.
NafeesaAA:

The 2 ATR surveillance planes were bought by GEJ from France, the 2 Fokker 27 used before and bought by Shagari were discrepit.

GEJ did not purchase the ATR Survelliance planes, it was late President Ya'Ardua who did.
NafeesaAA:

T55 Tanks
Are you joking,those pieces of smoking irons are almost 30 years old.

193 Otokar Cobra was purchased by OBJ from Turkey. They were meant as scout cars and ALL of them didn't carry military grade Armour.

Before GEJ we had 2 operational Mi-24. GEJ bought 6 more and 4 continue to be on back order.

GEJ acquired 16 T72 Tanks from Ukraine via Poland.

MI-17 ISN'T an assault helicopter....its a UTILITY HELICOPTER,but tripods can be mounted on the doors to accommodate GPMG (Get your facts right)

GEJ purchased 2 AW139 medium lift and anti submarine helicopter for the Navy.

3 Super king utility helicopter bought from the US.

MT-LB personal carrier from Ukraine.

Mil-17 Helicopters from (6 fully paid for and awaiting delivery)

Before GEJ, only 3 aero-39 trainers were active. He reactivated 14 of them and are currently being used as low flying attack crafts.

(high resolution cameras only)

- We don't use the T-55 tanks any longer. The last time a T-55 was used operationally in Nigeria Was The 80s.

- former President Obasanjo bought 205 Otokar Cobra's. I've seen the serial numbers, I also shared it in this thread. It is a lie for anyone to claim Nigerian army Otokar Cobra's don't carry military grade armour.

They have performed pretty well in Nigeria's COIN operations. Nigerian Cobra's have taken massive punishing yet they are still going strong. Watch this space, I'll soon post a photos of Nigerian Cobra's in Combat.

This is a lie.

- that's also a lie, before GEJ we had 12 Hind helicopters, a mix of MI-24v, MI-35p. Under GEJ, we lost 3 Attack helicopters, 1 was burnt by Boko-Haram when Maiduguri base was attacked, while 2 were lost to crashes in support of COIN missions.

GEJ bought 3 attrition replacement MI-24 helicopters to replace the 3 units we lost, while his government ordered 6 MI-35m helicopters and 6 MI-17 terminator helicopters.

So, that's another lie.

- MI-17 terminator is an assault helicopter. The basic MI-17 is just a transport helicopter.

- GEJ bought 50 T-72 tanks, half of them directly from Ukraine and the other half from Excalibur from Czech Republic. No T-72 came in via Poland.

-GEJ bought 2 AW-139 rescue helicopters for NIMASA. They are however operated by the Navy.

GEJ did not buy any ASW helicopters, that's another lie.

- The L-39s are based in Kano and are used as a lead in fighter trainer. They only recently, a couple months ago began to be armed. This was done by PMB.

So that's a lie.

- MT-LB was neither bought by GEJ, I think it was Obasanjo who bought them or Shagari.

We only showed interest in the Super king, we did not buy them. So that's another lie.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Obostone: 1:13am On Jan 30, 2017
Henry240:

Bro, Wikipedia isn't a reliable source for some of the detailed information we need. We could have sold Ghana something else, until there is verifiable evidence, I don't think we sold Ghana those vests.

I hear u bro. I will post any evidence i can dig up.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:22am On Jan 30, 2017
NafeesaAA:

GEJ reactivated 9 Alpha jets during his administration.

We only had ONE working heavy transport jet.... the G. 222. GEJ fixed and activated the 3 C 130 with help from US military AFRICOM.

4 Shaldag fast patrol crafts were purchased from Israel.

Defender coastal patrol boats purchased from the US.

More than 30 Lerici and lantra class patrol boats purchased from Vietnam and Hong Kong. (PMB received and commissioned 16 of them last month)

5 AW 109 utility helicopters purchased from Italy.

NNS Unity and NNS Centanial built and bought by GEJ via China.

41 BTR 4 infantry fighting vehicle with NBC protection capabilities from Ukraine.

120 CS VPE MRAP infantry vehicles from China

5 Casspir 3 MRAP from South Africa.

40 Reva MRAP from South Africa.

6 RM 70 Artillery from Yugoslavia.

****And get your FACTS straight.

Nigeria has 12 drones from China... The Yangon flash and the CH3

- Yes , GEJ reactivated 9 Alpha jets and 2 C-130.

- yes, that's partly true. Before GEJ we had 3 G-222s and 1 C-130 operationally. He fixed up 2 units, but not with the help of AFRICOM.

1 unit was refurbished in the UK, while the second C-130 was fixed by a Nigerian company based in Florida, in the US.

It seems 2 more units are about to be fixed as they have recently undergone a paint job.

We currently have 3 C-130s and 3 G-222s operational. 6 medium and heavy lifting aircrafts operational.

- not partly true. We have 6 units of Shaldag interceptors bought from Israel. However only half of the current number was bought by GEJ. The others were OBJ.

The defender boats from the US is also correct.

- under PMB the navy has received 120 boats, including the 27 he commissioned in December. All of them are made in Nigeria. None was imported. So that's a lie.

- OBJ bought our AW109 helicopters, 12 for Air Force and 6 for Navy. 18 units in total, none was bought by GEJ.

- NNS Unity and Centenary, yes, bought by GEJ from China.

- We only bought 10 BTR-4s from Ukraine, not 41.

- 120 units of CS/VP3 MRAPs from China, yes.

- We bought 46 Reva MRAPs from South Africa, not 40.

We did not buy Casspir from South Africa, we do not have them.

-RM-70 was from Czech Republic, yes 6 units.

- Nigeria bought 5 CH-3A drones from China, not 12. The Yahbon Flash 20 is from the UAE not China. I'll say 5 more units. So 10 units of UAVs not 12. The ones from China were bought by GEJ.

- the Amebo is a technology demonstrator. It is not operational. We have 5 Gulma drones in service. There are also 4 more Drones already built. Yes, locally built.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:27am On Jan 30, 2017
Henry240:

...GEJ did not purchase the ATR Survelliance planes, it was late President Ya'Ardua who did...

It befuddles me when you guys obsess over so-and-so bought or did not buy xyz, in reference to state/military purchases. To my ears, it sounds too uncomfortably as you guys equating people who govern with people who rule. Here, we'd never say, for example, that Mandela/Mbeki bought Gripen, Hawks, Meko frigates, Agusta light helis or Type-209 submarines. Those were taxpayer purchases on behalf of the SAAF and SAN. At worst, grousers would say "the ANC government bought all these arms when they could have..." Even that is in the context, rightly, of apportioning blame for alleged/perceived corrupt acts.

Bottom line: people should never be praised simply for doing their jobs.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:38am On Jan 30, 2017
frumentius:

It befuddles me when you guys obsess over so-and-so bought or did not buy xyz, in reference to state/military purchases. To my ears, it sounds as if you guys equate people who govern to people who rule. Here, we'd never say, for example, that Mandela/Mbeki bought Gripen, Hawks, Meko frigates, Agusta light helis or Type-209 submarines. Those were taxpayer purchases on behalf of the SAAF and SAN.

It's all politics. I believe it's not so in your country because only the ANC has been in power since the fall of Apartheid.

Defence procurement continues to be a huge political issue in Nigeria. It didn't used to be this way when it was all PDP. However since the election in 2015 it began to be a major campaign issues especially with regards to the current security situation in the Northeast.

I don't think it's a bad thing, as it allows for scrutiny in the defence sector.

Above all is the corruption issue. We want to know what these politicians bought with the billions of dollars budgeted for defence each political term.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:40am On Jan 30, 2017
frumentius:

It

Bottom line: people should never be praised simply for doing their jobs.

Corruption is the issue. If things aren't done this way, defence spending in Nigeria would continue to be a mirage.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:49am On Jan 30, 2017
Senegalese soldiers

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:15am On Jan 30, 2017
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:16am On Jan 30, 2017
Henry240:

It's all politics. I believe it's not so in your country because only the ANC has been in power since the fall of Apartheid.
Actually no, you really don't know SA at all. Even during the Apartheid dictatorship, nobody went around saying Botha bought this, Malan didn't buy this etc.

It didn't used to be this way when it was all PDP. However since the election in 2015 it began to be a major campaign issues especially with regards to the current security situation in the Northeast.
Not from what I've been reading: Shagari bought this, Abacha bought this, Babangida didn't buy that, Gowon bought that etc. No PDP in power then. Long history,no?

I don't think it's a bad thing, as it allows for scrutiny in the defence sector. Above all is the corruption issue. We want to know what these politicians bought with the billions of dollars budgeted for defence each political term.
I disagree. The best way to ensure accountable governance - not rulership - is building strong institutions that withstand whatever flawed individuals might be elected to those offices*. By all means haul individuals to the fire when things go wrong, but do not credit them just for doing their jobs. For example, just because he affixed his signature to the federal budget does not mean Jonathan should be credited with fixing your Alpha jets. He, like all presidents, would still have signed if it was a Spitfire.

Persistent power cuts, on the other hand, can be blamed on him and anyone else occupying that exalted office who fails to act.

*Also means you ensure civilian primacy over the armed forces by elected leaders not wearing unearned military costumes grin!

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 3:09am On Jan 30, 2017
Africaken, you must be proud of KDF, looks like the put up a good fight and did some real damage to shabbab

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:30am On Jan 30, 2017
GreenandGold:

So Hinds can't fly in bad weather?

depends on the installed equipment's and the version of the helicopter

point to be noted for any helicopter including all weather helicopters

helicopters flying in low altitudes in mountainous regions will have a fair probability to end up kissing the mountain becz of the strong downdrafts which quickly overpowers the helicopters capabilities. downdrafts will exceed the climb rate and accompanying turbulence will force the helicopter to smack down on to the terrain.

i believe this is what happened with the 2 hinds , the fact that the crew escaped with only injuries is a probable indication that a downdraft pushed the 2 helicopter to the ground and the pilots went for hard landing with with zero forward speed.

conclusion
1. inexperienced pilots (mountain flying)
2. bad luck
3. bad judge of the helicopter capabilities
4. none of the above grin
5. all of the above grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 4:56am On Jan 30, 2017
overhypedsteve:
these are the kind of pictures that we want to see. Gentlemen there you have it, The Nigerian Backed Intervention in the Gambia have led to the removal of the Gambian Dictator Mr Yahaya Jammeh and for this reason the Gambian people cannot hold back their joy as they wave the colors of our nationhood. There is nothing anybody can say about it. Gambia is a textbook example of how to remove a dictator peacefully.
Not necessarily.

Can't be applied anywhere.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 6:40am On Jan 30, 2017
Henry240:

We don't use the T-55 tanks any longer. The last time a T-55 was used operationally in Nigeria Was The 80s.

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 8:07am On Jan 30, 2017
50 % of wot ur reply to nafeeesa post is false but for the purpose of not to derail the thread, make man just close eye.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 30, 2017
Patchesagain:

Not in wide spread use. It's hardly visible hence I missed it. sad

When compared to the T-72, Vickers or Scorpion, the T-55's don't exist.

Anyway thanks for the correction.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:11am On Jan 30, 2017
Tinfoil:
Africaken, you must be proud of KDF, looks like the put up a good fight and did some real damage to shabbab
actually thats a old photo and those are somali soldiers killed by alshabaab .no photos have being released.KDF have totally censored any photo or video
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 30, 2017
giles14:
50 % of wot ur reply to nafeeesa post is false but for the purpose of not to derail the thread, make man just close eye.

So point out what is false. I've got evidence for everything up there, you wanna try me?

Point out what you claim is false, I'll post the evidence for all to see. Or you don't just make stupid comments.

When you make a stupid comment, be ready to defend it. cool

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (919) (920) (921) (922) (923) (924) (925) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.