Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (977) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5968111 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (974) (975) (976) (977) (978) (979) (980) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 3:34pm On Feb 20, 2017
Frumentum:

Doesn't look air-droppable. Also looks like it might need a heavy heli like a Chinook to sling it.

Other militaries don't tactically insert their operations... It's not a priority because of their area of operation while others don't have a doctrine nor the research how it it's effectively done.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 20, 2017
ActivateKruger:

Other militaries don't tactically insert their operations... It's not a priority because of their area of operation while others don't have a doctrine nor the research how it it's effectively done.

Until the day their SF needs the capability.
I had the very same discussion with someone asking why 4 Recce needs SPAG. A few scenarios and he was persuaded.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 20, 2017
Frumentum:

And to add to that, what helicopters per type, and quantities if someone has the info does the Nigerian military (all arms of service) actually operate? ie Light Utility; medium; naval; heavy.
Compiling this is one hell a task so I wouldn't bother guessing number of units if I were you.

But off the top of my head:
navy : AW109, AW139 and some bell helicopters

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 3:48pm On Feb 20, 2017
Frumentum:

Until the day their SF needs the capability.
That would be when South Africa has been doing it for 50 years already grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 20, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

Compiling this is one hell a task so I wouldn't bother guessing number of units if I were you.

But off the top of my head:
air Force : AW109, A101, Ec135, super puma, Mi35/Mi35p, Mi17/Mi8 and some bell helicopters .... continue on the next post

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 20, 2017
Cont.. frumentum I hope you get the drift? It's kind of a work in progress

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 20, 2017
overhypedsteve:
we ve used more Guided missiles in our COIN operations than any Nation in SSA have used for the same role. I know you know that, but you just want to defend the present position of your Government in purchasing the obsolete and civilian purpose built Aircraft for COIN. after all we introduced the use of guided missiles in the African Counter Insurgency battle theatres. The AR1 missile is a Chinese derivation of the American Hellfire Missile and we have been using them to hunt Terrorists since 2014.
Im guessing SSA excludes South Africa, Angola and possibly even Zimbabwe?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:12pm On Feb 20, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

Yeah that's what I want to know, although I don't think these are the among the 6 units ordered. I only know one was donated by NEMA.

If these are among the ones delivered, they are then the one the Air Force weaponized in Nigeria. However, there is a photo i have and have shared multiple times online, it shows that large Ukrainian or Russian cargo freight aircraft delivering an MI-17.

What MI-17 then is that?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 20, 2017
Frumentum:

And to add to that, what helicopters per type, and quantities if someone has the info does the Nigerian military (all arms of service) actually operate? ie Light Utility; medium; naval; heavy.

That information is not available, only rough estimates can be given. For Naval systems i know the Nigerian navy operates, 5 x A-109e's, 1 crashed, 4 x Bell helicopters and 2 x AW-139 helicopters which are owned by a government agency called NIMASA, but operated by the Nigerian navy. They are rescue helicopters.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 4:39pm On Feb 20, 2017
jln115:

Im guessing SSA excludes South Africa, Angola and possibly even Zimbabwe?
are they presently fighting any Counter terrorist War? No. please cite instances where this countries have fielded guided missiles in a Counter Insurgency operation.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 4:40pm On Feb 20, 2017
NAF 270 is the new helicopter ,the NEMA donated one is the NAF 5--.I expect when the other Helios are shown they will be numbered in the 270s and 280s

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 20, 2017
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 4:44pm On Feb 20, 2017
Frumentum:

Agugugubug Alert!!!*

*For those who don't know, awarded to someone making assertions without regard to facts.
we introduced the use of guided missiles into the African Counter terrorist scene in 2014 with our CH3, and in 2015 we actually saw the first footage of this weapons being fielded.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:48pm On Feb 20, 2017
overhypedsteve:

we introduced the use of guided missiles into the African Counter terrorist scene in 2014 with our CH3, and in 2015 we actually saw the first footage of this weapons being fielded.

Let's let this thing go, it's not worth the argument. Your points are actual fact and valid, but let's let it go.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:54pm On Feb 20, 2017
Henry240:

If these are among the ones delivered, they are then the one the Air Force weaponized in Nigeria. However, there is a photo i have and have shared multiple times online, it shows that large Ukrainian or Russian cargo freight aircraft delivering an MI-17.

What MI-17 then is that?
Jajajjaa that's true, I believe we're now on the same page.
So one unit handed over by NEMA and the other delivered with the exact same camo scheme from an unknown source.
Had that picture on my phone but I forgot about the whole story. Dakingsman sent it to me during one of our convos... good days grin

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 4:55pm On Feb 20, 2017
Henry240:

Let's let this thing go, it's not worth the argument. Your points are actual fact and valid, but let's let it go.
I will let it go. after all its not my country that would be supporting it's troops with fertilizer spraying planes.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 20, 2017
Henry240:

So what did South African and Angolan forces use in the Border War....guided rocks? Don't say he is posting facts when in actual fact he's typing B.S

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:02pm On Feb 20, 2017
overhypedsteve:

So what do you think the SADF was using back in the Border war?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 20, 2017
jln115:

So what did South African and Angolan forces use in the Border War....guided rocks? Don't say he is posting facts when in actual fact he's typing B.S

Like I've said previously in this matter, I'm not interested in this argument.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 20, 2017
overhypedsteve:
are they presently fighting any Counter terrorist War? No. please cite instances where this countries have fielded guided missiles in a Counter Insurgency operation.
Ever heard of the Border War?? We've been using guided missiles in a counter insurgency before you were born.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 20, 2017
overhypedsteve:
I will let it go. after all its not my country that would be supporting it's troops with fertilizer spraying planes.

Cool.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 20, 2017
Henry240:

Like I've said previously in this matter, I'm not interested in this argument.
Nobody wants to argue, but when someone posts B.S then call them out...as you do with no hesitation with regards to certain forum members from a certain country.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 5:10pm On Feb 20, 2017
Frumentum:
Speaking of Denel in the Middle East, someone in the armed forces of the UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Iraq has some answering to do. Denel weapons sold to them keep ending up with the Kurdish peshmerga in Kurdistan. First the Y3 and now the PAW-20 with the EAHK CT Unit, a Kurdistan Special Operations unit. I must add I'm a great admirer of the Kurds and their cause and at least with them, these weapons will be put to proper use.

PIC 1: the PAW-20; and

PIC 2: the earlier pic of the Y3.
Someone once said we must isn't rule out the idea of these guys being foreign SF units.

Foreign units have been observed wearing uniform of units they support.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:10pm On Feb 20, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

Jajajjaa that's true, I believe we're now on the same page.
So one unit handed over by NEMA and the other delivered with the exact same camo scheme from an unknown source.
Had that picture on my phone but I forgot about the whole story. Dakingsman sent it to me during one of our convos... good days grin

gringringringrin This is it!

Come to think of it, where is Dakingsman, he used to post regularly here. Dakingsman, I command thee, show thy self here! gringrin

Where is that helicopter from, is it from the 6 x units ordered? I really want to know. Only Airborne360 might be able to answer, however, he is not talking. Even the MI-35m request, hasn't yet been fulfilled.

Hopefully, we would know soon enough.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 20, 2017
overhypedsteve:
we ve used more Guided missiles in our COIN operations than any Nation in SSA have used for the same role. I know you know that, but you just want to defend the present position of your Government in purchasing the obsolete and civilian purpose built Aircraft for COIN. after all we introduced the use of guided missiles in the African Counter Insurgency battle theatres. The AR1 missile is a Chinese derivation of the American Hellfire Missile and we have been using them to hunt Terrorists since 2014.
grin grin grin CH-3 was a total failure,i have seen a boko haram propaganda video which showed smoldering wreckage of CH-3.Its just that nairaland doesnt allow one to post terrorist propaganda.except for that one footage of a precision strike on a boko haram technical,have you ever seen any other released footage !?the only thing your good at is dropping dumb bombs on civilians,even you say you have ISR manned platforms grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 20, 2017
Henry240:

gringringringrin This is it!

Come to think of it, where is Dakingsman, he used to post regularly here. Dakingsman, I command thee, show thy self here! gringrin

Where is that helicopter from, is it from the 6 x units ordered? I really want to know. Only Airborne360 might be able to answer, however, he is not talking. Even the MI-35m request, hasn't yet been fulfilled.

Hopefully, we would know soon enough.

Airborne is probably busy setting up appointments for insurgents to meet their maker.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:06pm On Feb 20, 2017
Sudan-made guided bomb on display in their stand at IDEX 2017

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 20, 2017
AMISOM soldiers from the Ethiopian National Defence Forces mount a guard of honor for AMISOM Force Commander Lt. Gen. Osman Noor Soubagleh during a visit to Baidoa, Somalia on February 19, 2017. AMISOM Photo/Abdikarim Mohamed

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) Force Commander Lt. Gen. Osman Noor Soubagleh and other senior officers tour AMISOM soldiers from the Ethiopian National Defence forces in Baidoa Somalia during a visit to the area, on February 19, 2017. AMISOM Photo/Abdikarim Mohamed

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 7:00pm On Feb 20, 2017
jln115:

So what do you think the SADF was using back in the Border war?
you see, I have tried to find one reliable link that backs the fact that the SADF used guided missiles during the Border wars and I have seen none, maybe you could just help me with one or two.
https://www.sa-soldier.com/data/07-SADF-equipment/ (list of equipments used in the border wars, no guided missile listed)
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 7:29pm On Feb 20, 2017
overhypedsteve:
you see, I have tried to find one reliable link that backs the fact that the SADF used guided missiles during the Border wars and I have seen none, maybe you could just help me with one or two.
https://www.sa-soldier.com/data/07-SADF-equipment/ (list of equipments used in the border wars, no guided missile listed)

Just ask them the aircraft/platform they used to launch the guided missiles during the border war and this will all end.

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:06pm On Feb 20, 2017
Algerian High rank officers at the International Defence Exhibition and Conference, IDEX, Dubai 2017

(1) (2) (3) ... (974) (975) (976) (977) (978) (979) (980) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.