Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport (15876 Views)

Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike / Nigeria's Elections: Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport / Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airports Over Increased Fares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 06, 2013
A new policy introduced by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria for passengers coming into the country to pay a special charge on their luggage has become a source of dilemma for travellers.

A lot of passengers, who came into the country on Monday, were stranded at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos as they could not retrieve their luggage on time.

Some of the passengers, who spoke to our correspondent, alleged that their baggage had been deliberately delayed, adding that they were also maltreated by the security personnel at the arrival hall of the airport, claiming that they were acting on FAAN's instruction.

For instance, a passenger who gave his name simply as Simon, and came into the country aboard an Emirate airline flight from Dubai, said he spent about five hours at the arrival hall before he could collect his luggage.

He said, "I was surprised to note that some of our luggage were being held by officials at the arrival hall, who refused to release them to us, stating that we had to pay N2,000 per luggage on arrival at the airport.

"The amazing thing is that we learnt that FAAN gave an order that the amount should be levied on cargoes that come through the terminal, but our pleas to the officials that some of our luggage could not be classified as cargoes fell on deaf ears."

Another passenger, who chose to remain anonymous, said as of 4pm, a lot of passengers had yet to retrieve their luggage despite arriving some hours earlier.

He explained that the information they got was that the airport authorities had kept the luggage in their custody because the owners were meant to pay duties on them.

"As a result, you can see how rowdy and chaotic this whole place is; the fact is that we have been travelling for many hours, only for us to touch down and see this kind of thing; it is really a sad experience," he said.

However, the General Manager, Corporate Communications, FAAN, Mr. Yakubu Dati, denied claims that the agency was charging passengers N2,000 on each luggage.

Dati said in a statement, "The charge does not apply to all passengers but to cargo agents who use passenger planes to transport their cargoes, often times 20 to 30 pieces of luggage unaccompanied or accompanied by proxies.

"This fraudulent practice mounts untold pressure on our conveyor belts and short-changes FAAN of its much needed revenue. Cargo agents are well aware that all cargoes must go through the designated cargo terminal where they go through laid down processes for safety and security procedures.

"The fact of the matter is that some passengers arrived with cargoes, which they should have passed as cargoes through the cargo terminal, but instead wanted to pass same as mere luggage and FAAN decided to charge them the cargo fee, which is a normal charge that is done with receipts.

"We wish to stress that it was not the passengers' luggage that was charged, but cargo, as the affected passengers arrived with an average of eight bags of cargo. The passengers should have passed the cargoes through the cargo terminal instead of coming with them."

He explained that the charge on cargoes was not new, adding that "the charge has always been in FAAN's books and was part of the fees collected by the concessionaire, Pan Express Limited. But now, FAAN has decided to collect the charge and there is no need mixing it up with luggage."

"The authority wishes to reiterate the earlier warning to cargo agents to desist from this unwholesome practice or face the full wrath of the law as no form of blackmail will deter us from carrying out our mandate of providing services at internationally acceptable standards and practices," Dati added.
http://odili.net/news/source/2013/aug/6/828.html
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by rali123(f): 9:39pm On Aug 06, 2013
One of the worst airport have ever seen in my life is this MMIA, from checking to even boarding is problem, they tax you for all sort of things, every desk you get to, they must demand for something, some will even ask you as if it there birth right. Then coming into the country is another issue on it own, you wait for hours before you get your luggage, the security personnel/FAAN are bloody thief's, they do not charge cargo agent alone but also passengers

13 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by manny4life(m): 10:21pm On Aug 06, 2013
These are the reasons why Airport operations should be private and not govt run...

3 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 10:26pm On Aug 06, 2013
That's it.

I'm walking to Nigeria with my luggage on my head.

Travelling to Nigeria is a long ting. angry

10 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by luvablesam(m): 10:37pm On Aug 06, 2013
rali123: One of the worst airport have ever seen in my life is this MMIA, from checking to even boarding is problem, they tax you for all sort of things, every desk you get to, they must demand for something, some will even ask you as if it there birth right. Then coming into the country is another issue on it own, you wait for hours before you get your luggage, the security personnel/FAAN are bloody thief's, they do not charge cargo agent alone but also passengers
u talk about d charges u pay to get ur luggages from the officials as if its a new pratise internationally,when wud u guys realise dat for some countries to survive they rely on these taxes.better be happy u cum frm a place where d government is just gettin aware of the power of taxing people

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by manny4life(m): 10:43pm On Aug 06, 2013
adaobi123: That's it.

Oya, carry you luggage on your head... don't stop o grin grin grin
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 06, 2013
manny4life:

Oya, carry you luggage on your head... don't stop o grin grin grin

Lol grin

I will tell whether I was successful or not
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 06, 2013
[size=13pt]now people wud start comin in through Cotonou like used car grin grin grin grin grin[/size]

11 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by rali123(f): 9:24am On Aug 07, 2013
luvable sam: u talk about d charges u pay to get ur luggages from the officials as if its a new pratise internationally,when wud u guys realise dat for some countries to survive they rely on these taxes.better be happy u cum frm a place where d government is just gettin aware of the power of taxing people

What exactly are you on about Mr, who says they should not tax? If they want to, they should do it in a normal way and let everyone know this is the amount you pay for so, so and so and it should get to the right personnel in charge, I have never paid extra money to enter any country because I won't carry more than what is required but entering and leaving Nigeria, they must make sure they exhaust you completely... Did you even read the article atall? Mr general manager denied passengers claim, meanwhile that the order of day(everyday).

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by horlabiyi(m): 9:30am On Aug 07, 2013
I never traveled outta 9ja by air no I have nothing to contribute here. Bye
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by henrychubayo: 9:30am On Aug 07, 2013
I feel that there is a way to determine if a passenger is carrying goods he will sell from those that buy to use. so they should not delay this ppl who are not buying to sell

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Iaz93: 9:31am On Aug 07, 2013
OK!!!
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 07, 2013

Sometimes I tie my feet together while in the bath and pretend I'm a merman.
Other times I burn the customer service manual and pretend I'm a Nigerian worker.

4 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by kevoh(m): 9:36am On Aug 07, 2013
rali123: One of the worst airport have ever seen in my life is this MMIA, from checking to even boarding is problem, they tax you for all sort of things, every desk you get to, they must demand for something, some will even ask you as if it there birth right. Then coming into the country is another issue on it own, you wait for hours before you get your luggage, the security personnel/FAAN are bloody thief's, they do not charge cargo agent alone but also passengers

On point my brother! Just change the word 'Tax' to 'Extort' instead.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 07, 2013
SimonAndal:
Sometimes I tie my feet together while in the bath and pretend I'm a merman.
Other times I burn the customer service manual and pretend I'm a Nigerian worker.
one day you'll tie ur feet together and become a merman for real.
Funny guy

3 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by madjune(m): 9:39am On Aug 07, 2013
GOD WILL CERTAINLY JUDGE ALL MANNERS OF UNIFORM MEN AND WOMEN AT THAT AIRPORT. MURTALA AIRPORT REEKS OF CORRUPTION.
VERY SOON THE CAB DRIVERS THERE WILL JOIN THEM IN THIS DAY LIGHT ROBBERY.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by MrAboki: 9:39am On Aug 07, 2013
WOW!!

Luggage fee!

Thank God I only fly through Port Harcourt International.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by r231(m): 9:45am On Aug 07, 2013
ighoosagie: [size=13pt]now people wud start comin in through Cotonou like used car grin grin grin grin grin[/size]

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by awolols(m): 9:45am On Aug 07, 2013
luvable sam: u talk about d charges u pay to get ur luggages from the officials as if its a new pratise internationally,when wud u guys realise dat for some countries to survive they rely on these taxes.better be happy u cum frm a place where d government is just gettin aware of the power of taxing people

Are you alright? Some countries u said. Is naija dependent on taxes from luggage at the airports?
If u have nothing tangible to say just shurrup
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by bellong: 9:46am On Aug 07, 2013
MMIA, always sending fear down my spine... The airport is only a summary of our society.

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by strangest(m): 9:46am On Aug 07, 2013
Blame fashola
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by awolols(m): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2013
henrychubayo: I feel that there is a way to determine if a passenger is carrying goods he will sell from those that buy to use. so they should not delay this ppl who are not buying to sell

I agree with you. They failed in their responsibilities in that they can't sort out accompanied and unaccompanied cargoes. For goodness sake each passenger that checked in luggage is issued a tag from the check in point so whats the sweat for? Why extort innocent passengers

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by ponco: 9:51am On Aug 07, 2013
mmia is a disgrace to nigeria
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 07, 2013
BETTER TO SAY THAT ONE OF THE WORST COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD IS NIGERIA, COS THOSE TAXES ARE ON EVERYTHING NOT JUST AT THE AIRPORT. WHERE IN THE WORLD DO YOU SEE AN ARRIVING PASSENGER PAY TO COLLECT HIS ONBOARD LUGGAGE. THIS COUNTRY IS THE 8TH WONDER OF THE WORLD.

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 07, 2013
The gospel truth right here. MMIA is fvcked up on all levels.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Fazhy: 10:15am On Aug 07, 2013
adaobi123: That's it.

grin

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 07, 2013
Fazhy:

grin

This is not a laughing matter. angry

It will take me 45 days according to Google maps. grin tongue
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Godson201333(m): 10:30am On Aug 07, 2013
Whenever you travel through MMIA you better becareful..I was traveling one day when a woman started lamenting that the Immigration officer didn't return her American P to her and the Immi man kept saying that he stamped and returned it.Thats how the drama started.

I do not know why they must always tell you "Oga anything for us " at each desk..That airport is just fuccken on a low-level no matter how much they spend on renovating it.

Traveling through Mmia is like fighting a battle!

I was trying to cello-tape my lugage one day from CDG and a friend asked why you doing this,I said this was how they stole my 300usd from my Holy Bible.They are gonna destroy my bag and raid it if i do not protect it with cellotape. grin grin grin grin
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by playcharles(m): 10:45am On Aug 07, 2013
You guys are not serious, if u can afford 250k for flight, na becus of only 2k una come they read the book of LAMENTATIONS for, may the gods fire una mouth

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by 1forall: 10:52am On Aug 07, 2013
^ Typical Nigerian mumu

6 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 07, 2013
playcharles: You guys are not serious, if u can afford 250k for flight, na becus of only 2k una come they read the book of LAMENTATIONS for, may the gods fire una mouth

undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom / Hyundai Car Loses Control In Ikorodu, 3 Wounded / Residents, Motorists Excited As Apapa Gridlock Eases Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.