Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport (15885 Views)

Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike / Nigeria's Elections: Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport / Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airports Over Increased Fares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by kokosheen(m): 10:56am On Aug 07, 2013
playcharles: You guys are not serious, if u can afford 250k for flight, na becus of only 2k una come they read the book of LAMENTATIONS for, may the gods fire una mouth

Its not about the 2k, its about the legality of the fee.

After undergoing a flight of 6 - 10 hours, you expect to get to home/bed in like 2 hours after landing. But for where! At MMIA, you'll wait for 3 - 5 hours for your luggage and will still be praying that it has not been slashed by the luggage handlers/robbers.

After now getting your luggage, you'll now go to one illegal queue to pay 2k! tha!!!

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by cupid4ig(m): 10:59am On Aug 07, 2013
playcharles: You guys are not serious, if u can afford 250k for flight, na becus of only 2k una come they read the book of LAMENTATIONS for, may the gods fire una mouth
u are a big f..........llllll ezi offia
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by olu4life(m): 11:06am On Aug 07, 2013
Ur own mumu go tey o. Did u read the part that stated that its 2k per luggage? Lemme break it down for u,if u have 6 luggages,thats 12k. Even if its just 2k,is it right? Na people like una no dey see anything wrong with corruption in Nigeria. slowpoke

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 07, 2013
1forall: ^ Typical Nigerian mumu

kokosheen:

After undergoing a flight of 6 - 10 hours, you expect to get to home/bed in like 2 hours after landing. But for where! At MMIA, you'll wait for 3 - 5 hours for your luggage and will still be praying that it has not been slashed by the luggage handlers/robbers.

After now getting your luggage, you'll now go to one illegal queue to pay 2k! tha!!!

cupid4ig: u are a big f..........llllll ezi offia

olu4life:
Ur own mumu go tey o. Did u read the part that stated that its 2k per luggage? Lemme break it down for u,if u have 6 luggages,thats 12k. Even if its just 2k,is it right? Na people like una no dey see anything wrong with corruption in Nigeria. Imbècile

grin grin grin grin

Easy easy
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Glamglam(f): 11:16am On Aug 07, 2013

I have a feeling this guy maybe one of the useless custom and immigration officers in MMIA.... so what if someone paid 250k+ for flight. Why should such a person pay more upon arrival?!

As for the system, it should be privatised immediately. It reeks of corruption and full of I.diots that earn their living on bribes and backhanders!

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by superior1: 11:18am On Aug 07, 2013
Well, I have never been charged for my baggage. Truth be told about people bringing in cargo in the name of baggage. I remembered coming in from heathrow the other day on BA, fear catch me with the kin baggage Naijas dem dey check in, even what they claimed to be hand luggage na my own check in luggage.

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by realwale: 11:25am On Aug 07, 2013
My mum was delayed and she eventually missed her flight to Joburg last december because she refused to insert $50 in her passport as instructed by an Immigration officer at MMIA. The officer removed one of her travelling document and claimed she didn't submit it to her. By the my broda was able to print another copy, they changed their story again asking stupid question until d SA bound plane left. She wasn't d only affected by that callous act of extortion, they were about a dozen others too. By the time she got to SA sef,she realised her bag had been sliced with a knife.but she didn't keep any valuables in it. So she had to tape her luggage on d return journey.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by kinisoo1: 11:39am On Aug 07, 2013
I just came back from South Africa a few days ago. When I was leaving, all the officers kept insisting: OGA, BLESS THE TABLE BEFORE YOU GO. Despite all documents intact and valid, if you don't bless the table you go nowhere. Thank God I had some N500 notes with me if not, everything will be collected from me. Naija for you.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by playcharles(m): 11:39am On Aug 07, 2013
olu4life:
Ur own mumu go tey o. Did u read the part that stated that its 2k per luggage? Lemme break it down for u,if u have 6 luggages,thats 12k. Even if its just 2k,is it right? Na people like una no dey see anything wrong with corruption in Nigeria. slowpoke

even thou u re moving with 100 luggage s, that's 200k,,,,,.... follow due process and pay...its ur right and responsibility to pay.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by playcharles(m): 11:42am On Aug 07, 2013
kokosheen:

yuh bro i feel u, bt they re only trying to limit excess luggage s on board

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by playcharles(m): 11:45am On Aug 07, 2013
cupid4ig: u are a big f..........llllll ezi offia
people like u no need response, na ezi bo anu ma nu omo yi bo u b.... them tell u say na ova night luxury bus dem they talk about here
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by TonySpike: 11:45am On Aug 07, 2013
After arriving in a boiling room called arrival hall...
And waiting for hours to retrieve ones luggage while boiling in da arrival room...
And paying NGN 100 to use archaic trolleys which are freely given at other high-profile airports,

These kain news...
Daaaaamn it! It can take place only in Nigeria...#just saying
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by playcharles(m): 11:47am On Aug 07, 2013
Glamglam:

I have a feeling this guy maybe one of the useless custom and immigration officers in MMIA.... so what if someone paid 250k+ for flight. Why should such a person pay more upon arrival?!

As for the system, it should be privatised immediately. It reeks of corruption and full of I.diots that earn their living on bribes and backhanders!

if u like pay N1m for flight, how that one take concern the owner of Nairaland
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 12:00pm On Aug 07, 2013
realwale: My mum was delayed and she eventually missed her flight to Joburg last december because she refused to insert $50 in her passport as instructed by an Immigration officer at MMIA. The officer removed one of her travelling document and claimed she didn't submit it to her. By the my broda was able to print another copy, they changed their story again asking stupid question until d SA bound plane left. She wasn't d only affected by that callous act of extortion, they were about a dozen others too. By the time she got to SA sef,she realised her bag had been sliced with a knife.but she didn't keep any valuables in it. So she had to tape her luggage on d return journey.
Pls how do you tape bags?. Is it normal cellotape or clingfilms. Thank you.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 07, 2013
playcharles:

Is the airline complaining. They are even happy sef cos its more money for them. British Airways reserves up to 7 luggages per person on their flight. This policy na bad business for the airlines in my opinion

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2013
A tym wil kum when mmia would turn into shagamu motor pack.Lmao.Wit more emerging international airports in nigeria,Vry soon mmia go dey beg 4 passengers.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by spenca: 12:07pm On Aug 07, 2013
strangest: Blame fashola

You need your medications
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by IleIfe2(m): 12:15pm On Aug 07, 2013
Who is the FAAN Boss in Lagos? Does anyone know his name? Knowing his name will solve the problem half way.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 07, 2013
playcharles:

What has excess luggage got to do with it
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by playcharles(m): 12:24pm On Aug 07, 2013
honey86:
Is the airline complaining. They are even happy sef cos its more money for them. British Airways reserves up to 7 luggages Baggages per person on their flight. This policy na bad business for the airlines in my opinion

Honey86 want to quote you wright, what most Nigerian moves with are Baggage s meant for Cargo Planes...Imagine 1 person go they travel with 12 Ghana must Go inside plane....for weten nahhhh
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
playcharles:

Honey86 want to quote you wright, what most Nigerian moves with are Baggage s meant for Cargo Planes...Imagine 1 person go they travel with 12 Ghana must Go inside plane....for weten nahhhh
Luggage or baggage are synonyms. Besides the airlines are not complaining and the plane is not groaning.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 07, 2013
No one has answered my question, pls how do you people wrap your luggages before flying?.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 07, 2013
honey86: No one has answered my question, pls how do you people wrap your luggages before flying?.

With cling flim and celo tape
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Excelgalaxy(m): 1:36pm On Aug 07, 2013
Am so proud of my Uncle and all the surbordinates engineers who made that airport what what it is today, I can remember using the watching him tell his colleagues how the beams must be fixed. Though he had the contract, yet he was there to see that the work to completion..... Eng. Bath Onu and Eng Ifeanyi Onu and your crew Thumbs up
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by kennyakobo: 2:33pm On Aug 07, 2013
Excelgalaxy: Am so proud of my Uncle and all the surbordinates engineers who made that airport what what it is today, I can remember using the watching him tell his colleagues how the beams must be fixed. Though he had the contract, yet he was there to see that the work to completion..... Eng. Bath Onu and Eng Ifeanyi Onu and your crew Thumbs up
Now we know your uncle is a contractor. Pray tell, how does this eliminate the 2k charge per luggage?

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 07, 2013
Godson201333: Whenever you travel through MMIA you better becareful..I was traveling one day when a woman started lamenting that the Immigration officer didn't return her American P to her and the Immi man kept saying that he stamped and returned it.Thats how the drama started.

I do not know why they must always tell you "Oga anything for us " at each desk..That airport is just fuccken on a low-level no matter how much they spend on renovating it.

Traveling through Mmia is like fighting a battle!

I was trying to cello-tape my lugage one day from CDG and a friend asked why you doing this,I said this was how they stole my 300usd from my Holy Bible.They are gonna destroy my bag and raid it if i do not protect it with cellotape. grin grin grin grin

If you research properly you will realize that your money was stolen before it ever got to MMIA. Yes some crimes occur there but lets stop all the judging. This guys barely have enough time to go through your luggage when it lands MMA because it's transfered almost immediately. Go to CNN and search for TSA robbing agents. You will see a documentary on how TSA agents steal money, IPADS, and IPHONES from unsuspecting passengers both from carry-on luggages while screening and checked baggages. A lot of the goods that get stolen are usually taken from the DEPARTURE AIRPORT.
MMA is not clean but lets be realistic. A lot of people arrive MMA and start screaming that they opened their bags and their money, phones and tablets are gone. Guess what? IT WAS STOLEN BEFORE YOU GOT TO MMIA.

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 07, 2013
With regards to the charge, i see nothing wrong with it. If you put cargo on a passenger plane and try to avoid cargo charges, aint nothing wrong with the authorities trying to get that charge back from you.
Let's stop acting like we don't know what is going on. I was on an Emirate flight from Dubai to Lagos a couple years back and the number of GHANA MUST GO bags that came out before regular bags was like 1 trillion. It took at least 2hrs before we started seeing regular bags. I also blame the airlines (emirates) in this case because they allow people overload the plane and charge fees. I'm sure they make more money in those fees than the actual flight tickets.

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by likeme(m): 4:06pm On Aug 07, 2013
FRESH AIR THINGZ: Laughing in Otuoke Fisherman's Style
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 07, 2013
adaobi123:

With cling flim and celo tape
Thanks. Do you wrap it before you get to the airport or at the airport?
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Konjour(m): 4:24pm On Aug 07, 2013
A-town:
With regards to the charge, i see nothing wrong with it. If you put cargo on a passenger plane and try to avoid cargo charges, aint nothing wrong with the authorities trying to get that charge back from you.
Let's stop acting like we don't know what is going on. I was on an Emirate flight from Dubai to Lagos a couple years back and the number of GHANA MUST GO bags that came out before regular bags was like 1 trillion. It took at least 2hrs before we started seeing regular bags. I also blame the airlines (emirates) in this case because they allow people overload the plane and charge fees. I'm sure they make more money in those fees than the actual flight tickets.

Without any intent to sound rude, I'd say your post is pointless. A Cargo or Passenger aircraft has limits to its cargo carrying capacity, there are safety limits and extra cargo weight margins in which luggages for which extra cash has been paid are fixed. Its a different thing if bags are turned back at departure airports for being overweight in which case you're asked to remove stuff in it, or rather procure another bag as the case may be, or pay a stipulated figure (per each Kg by which the bag is overweight) but once your bags are aboard, there's absolutely no justification for airport workers to demand you pay extra for your luggages which must have passed through the ticketing and clearing sections already. The Lagos airport has always been known for being very unruly and a lot of its workers, for being lackadaisical. The extra 2,000 naira per luggage is a bloody rip-off. Nuff said.

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by MrAboki: 4:27pm On Aug 07, 2013
honey86:

In Nigeria, You only wrap at the airport after searching..

In Obodo Oyibo, you can do it from home because most times, searches are done via scanners and dogs.. However, it is always wise to wrap your bags at the airport after you have been cleared because you might have to open and take stuff out of it during check-in.. Example: Excess weight, e.t.c.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 07, 2013
honey86:

I only wrap when needed - if the luggage has a hole or something.

I wrap at home or before I check in.

But in Nigeria I wrap after the searching.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria: The Happiest Country In The World! / BREAKING: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Temporarily Closed For Four Days / Hyundai Car Loses Control In Ikorodu, 3 Wounded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.