Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,561 members, 7,820,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport (15886 Views)

Passengers Across The Federation Stranded At Airport Due To NATC Strike / Nigeria's Elections: Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport / Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airports Over Increased Fares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by KayDee4: 4:46pm On Aug 07, 2013
If the luggage is classified as 'cargo', it is subject to fees and charges, customs duty or so. Some Nigerians or cargo agents try to avoid this by packaging their cargo as normal passengers' luggage. That's what I think is the issue here.

It is not the duty of the airline to detect this as long as you don't exceed their set limits.

It becomes a bigger problem when the airport officials can't separate normal luggage from 'cargo disguised as luggage' and then they decide to charge everyone. The airport officials have to figure out a way to separate these 2. Charging passengers for normal luggage is ILLEGAL.

In the end, MMIA remains the most stressful airport to travel through.

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by KayDee4: 4:49pm On Aug 07, 2013
adaobi123:

This is not a laughing matter. angry

It will take me 45 days according to Google maps. grin tongue

Adanne, it might take you 45 years to complete the journey, I hope you know how to ride a camel sha.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
Kay-Dee:

Adanne, it might take you 45 years to complete the journey, I hope you know how to ride a camel sha.

grin

45 years ? Have mercy on me !!
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by NellyGhenghen(m): 4:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
i told you guys, that 1billion dollars the FG collected from china ([/s]for embezzlement[s]), would be forced out of your pockets one way or another. watch and see.

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 07, 2013
The Aviation minister and FAAN have to address this issue. The remodelling exercise would be futile if the attitude of the airport's workers stink.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by SaintRicky(m): 5:15pm On Aug 07, 2013
Which airline has the cheapest fare to Los Angeles ? Someone recommended Emirate but i want to verify the authenticity of that. Which airline has the cheapest fare to Los Angeles ? Someone recommended Emirate but i want to verify the authenticity of that. Which airline has the cheapest fare to Los Angeles ? Someone recommended Emirate but i want to verify the authenticity of that.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 07, 2013
Mr Aboki:

In Nigeria, You only wrap at the airport after searching..

In Obodo Oyibo, you can do it from home because most times, searches are done via scanners and dogs.. However, it is always wise to wrap your bags at the airport after you have been cleared because you might have to open and take stuff out of it during check-in.. Example: Excess weight, e.t.c.
They dont search the bag in manchester Airport and I always weigh my bag before going to the airport so wrapping from home should be fine. You guys have been so helpful.Thank you
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2013
adaobi123:

I only wrap when needed - if the luggage has a hole or something.

I wrap at home or before I check in.

But in Nigeria I wrap after the searching.
Thank you.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 07, 2013
honey86:
Thank you.

Welcome smiley
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 07, 2013
Konjour:

Without any intent to sound rude, I'd say your post is pointless. A Cargo or Passenger aircraft has limits to its cargo carrying capacity, there are safety limits and extra cargo weight margins in which luggages for which extra cash has been paid are fixed. Its a different thing if bags are turned back at departure airports for being overweight in which case you're asked to remove stuff in it, or rather procure another bag as the case may be, or pay a stipulated figure (per each Kg by which the bag is overweight) but once your bags are aboard, there's absolutely no justification for airport workers to demand you pay extra for your luggages which must have passed through the ticketing and clearing sections already. The Lagos airport has always been known for being very unruly and a lot of its workers, for being lackadaisical. The extra 2,000 naira per luggage is a bloody rip-off. Nuff said.

Maybe you should carefully/properly read the comments. Of course an airline has weight limits. That is not the issue. Nigerians go to dubai to purchase goods. Most of these goods are not personal items and are subject to fees if properly declared. Have you been on an emirate flight from dubai? How can one passenger possess 5-6 bags of ghana must go and term them "personal luggage". Come on, we know the deal
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by alajor(m): 7:17pm On Aug 07, 2013
I land for MMIA in june after I don tey for "abroad". As we reach immigration 1st thing I noticed b say those wey carry foreign passports dey leave us dey comot bcus d immigration officers go just stamp arrival for them samsam. But us wey carry our 9ja pp were asked meaningless questions. As we comot for immige na so I carry my luggages,I c trolleys say make I carry one comot na him those uniformed men rush me say make I pay 150naira for trolley, I was like "wat da h....ll"! As I pay finish I com enter custom, oh boy c extortion of d highest order. Dat one na over one hour I dey custom hand bcus I refused to give d kind money dem want. After like 2 weeks for home, I come dey go back. Oh boy d kind checkpoint wey dey inside murtala tire me. Checkpoint after checkpoint. At one stage we even comot out shoes waka barefooted,den cum enter more checkpoints.MMIA na yawa.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Konjour(m): 7:44pm On Aug 07, 2013
A-town:

Maybe you should carefully/properly read the comments. Of course an airline has weight limits. That is not the issue. Nigerians go to dubai to purchase goods. Most of these goods are not personal items and are subject to fees if properly declared. Have you been on an emirate flight from dubai? How can one passenger possess 5-6 bags of ghana must go and term them "personal luggage". Come on, we know the deal

Yea. I get it. However, I doubt the Emirates staff would load 5-6 bags in the name of just one person. I've flown DXB - LOS a few times via Emirates and anytime I checked in there, the maximum weight allowed was 45kg in one bag, or 25kg in 2 bags for economy fliers (I can't remember the figures exactly), so I doubt the airline would permit more than 2 bags even if the combined weight was permissible. However, whatever the circumstances might be leading to leaving the departure airport with your bags in the cargo hold of the plane enroute your destination (unless you're heading for a transit airport), I don't think its legal for the destination airport staff to offload your luggages and then start asking you to pay them 2,000 bucks per bag for carraige. Its just like the trolleys at MMIA that you've got to pay for before using them. Its Illegal to part with your money in these circumstances.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Osheshe(f): 7:57pm On Aug 07, 2013
A-town:

I totally understand the fact that some Nigerians tend to go overboard with luggage limits, but then again I also realize that some of these so-called Nigerian immigration officials and airport personnel are nothing but daft, bad-belle incompetent phools. They take up this new rule with relish, and apply it to all and sundry; regardless of your luggage.

You need to experience this to actually believe it. Someone told me to pay #4OOO for my two (2) bags each weighing 23kg. How do they constitute cargo? I dropped my polished English right there and then and gave it to them ooo. And yes, this only happens at MMIA!! Crossed my mind to fly only from NAIA, Abuja from henceforth. It is extremely sane when compared to the MMIA!!
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nichobabe(m): 7:58pm On Aug 07, 2013
playcharles: You guys are not serious, if u can afford 250k for flight, na becus of only 2k una come they read the book of LAMENTATIONS for, may the gods fire una mouth

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2013
Konjour:

Yea. I get it. However, I doubt the Emirates staff would load 5-6 bags in the name of just one person. I've flown DXB - LOS a few times via Emirates and anytime I checked in there, the maximum weight allowed was 45kg in one bag, or 25kg in 2 bags for economy fliers (I can't remember the figures exactly), so I doubt the airline would permit more than 2 bags even if the combined weight was permissible. However, whatever the circumstances might be leading to leaving the departure airport with your bags in the cargo hold of the plane enroute your destination (unless you're heading for a transit airport), I don't think its legal for the destination airport staff to offload your luggages and then start asking you to pay them 2,000 bucks per bag for carraige. Its just like the trolleys at MMIA that you've got to pay for before using them. Its Illegal to part with your money in these circumstances.
Firstly, people pay to use trolleys in several airports worldwide so you guys need to let that go already. Nothing wrong with MMIA doing that.
Secondly, these guys know what they are doing. People abuse these privileges and yes emirates can not be left out of this as i'm sure they connive as well in order to make extra dough. Ask anyone on these flights and they will tell you. Some people have as much as 10 ghana must go bags. How they do it is beyond me but THEY DO IT.

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 07, 2013
Osheshe:

I totally understand the fact that some Nigerians tend to go overboard with luggage limits, but then again I also realize that some of these so-called Nigerian immigration officials and airport personnel are nothing but daft, bad-belle incompetent phools. They take up this new rule with relish, and apply it to all and sundry; regardless of your luggage.

You need to experience this to actually believe it. Someone told me to pay #4OOO for my two (2) bags each weighing 23kg. How do they constitute cargo? I dropped my polished English right there and then and gave it to them ooo. And yes, this only happens at MMIA!! Crossed my mind to fly only from NAIA, Abuja from henceforth. It is extremely sane when compared to the MMIA!!
I agree with you that it will be abused. Good thing you didn't try to form ajebo. The rule is simple, form ajebo and end up wasting your time or parting with money or give them the "pako" pidgin and they will let you pass.
I was just trying to address the justification for the fee. We are all nigerians and we are all corrupt so we shouldnt be surprised that they will abuse the rules.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 07, 2013
SaintRicky: Which airline has the cheapest fare to Los Angeles ? Someone recommended Emirate but i want to verify the authenticity of that. Which airline has the cheapest fare to Los Angeles ? Someone recommended Emirate but i want to verify the authenticity of that. Which airline has the cheapest fare to Los Angeles ? Someone recommended Emirate but i want to verify the authenticity of that.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Sophiegurl(f): 9:16pm On Aug 07, 2013
adaobi123: That's it.

I'm walking to Nigeria with my luggage on my head.

Travelling to Nigeria is a long ting. angry
Funny girl grin
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by klas(m): 9:19pm On Aug 07, 2013
You pay $5 for a trolley at JFK terminal 4, but free in South Africa and Dubai, so no problem with trolley charge in mmia.

However, if the luggage charge is FAAN policy, why is it applicable only in MMIA and not nationwide?

1 Like

Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by seangy4konji: 11:33pm On Aug 07, 2013
YOU ARE DUMMY
luvable sam: u talk about d charges u pay to get ur luggages from the officials as if its a new pratise internationally,when wud u guys realise dat for some countries to survive they rely on these taxes.better be happy u cum frm a place where d government is just gettin aware of the power of taxing people
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by seangy4konji: 11:39pm On Aug 07, 2013
ohh i love some airports.....As i collect my bag like dis,person don use trolley crry am and me don find where to shack my heineken..na to meet bag for house or hotel...Naija na baskart place...last time i came in from dubai,one mofo was looking at me cos i had 2 bag and laptop bag,i drank tru out d flight and was still tipsy,in my bag was only shoes i wear and cover clothe.told d mofo if u stop me and ask me question,u wont get one kobo.mofo asked give me sometin,i gave him 100 naira and said i am a wayo guy...wot if i had d bag filled with drugss
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 08, 2013
Sophiegurl: Funny girl grin

wink cheesy
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by thegeorgy(f): 12:35am On Aug 08, 2013
ewo cry the taxing is horrible,with my first time of travelling that was how they deceived me at each desk "my sister how far nah?anything for us" they left me stranded in the country i was travelling to.thank God for my husband who sent me money in my destination country.maka chuku that airport is wack! all the officers are just something else.When i wanted to go on another trip,they wanted to try the same nonsense with me,but by this time,i had become wise grin...even my pin did not touch their hands,to the extent that the woman on one of the counters was like "ok if you dont have anything for us,oya give us your watch nah" your husband go replace am as they saw my ring.i just tire for Naija immigration and security.that place needs reform.tufiakwa!
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by 617aircav: 2:25am On Aug 08, 2013
This is typical buffoonery by nigerian officials. How do decide what luggage is what? There should be a set standard of rules, that is clearly defined and known to the passenger. The official should not have the liberty to make such decisions. MMA is absolutely disgusting. How can their toilets not have toilet paper! Next time im coming, i will be in the possession of a HD spy camera and will film all the proceedings and upload to youtube.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by otokx(m): 7:50am On Aug 08, 2013
MMIA is a true reflection of the corrupt Nigerian society.
Re: Luggage Charge Leaves Passengers Stranded At Lagos Airport by wascapacitor: 9:42am On Aug 08, 2013
On several occasions, I read the news on this website, I feel, what is presented here are enough interesting, and quite enjoyable.
http://www.wascapacitor.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria: The Happiest Country In The World! / BREAKING: Third Mainland Bridge To Be Temporarily Closed For Four Days / Hyundai Car Loses Control In Ikorodu, 3 Wounded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.