Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,213 members, 7,839,130 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter (2197 Views)

Think before you contribute to the 3-km Long Church Auditorium for Rccg / $240 And $100 For Blessings By Matthew Ashimolowo / Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Speaks On T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 13, 2013
Tgirl4real:

grin grin grin

Chei! My head they swell. lol

"I was here for such a time as this...to deliver the JEWS(on NL) from Haman"

I am Esther. grin

Let the spirit interprete. cool
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin haha the esther of nairaland. i done here everything finish now
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Tgirl4real(f): 12:46pm On Aug 13, 2013
obadiah777: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin haha the esther of nairaland. i done here everything finish now

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Esther ko, Mordecai ni grin

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Tgirl4real(f): 12:56pm On Aug 13, 2013
obadiah777: LOL always a good thing to recharge. what is J-d-B ? my weekend has been nice and peaceful we thank God. reincarnation is good. makes you know those we lost are coming back real soon. the cycle of life cheesy

I was too lazy to type John the Baptist in full, so I shortened it. Actually, I was on mobile then and it is a touch-screen phone. Pretty annoying typing on it sometimes. angry

@ Topic, is there a time frame for all these...

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 13, 2013
Tgirl4real:

I was too lazy to type John the Baptist in full, so I shortened it. Actually, I was on mobile then and it is a touch-screen phone. Pretty annoying typing on it sometimes. angry

@ Topic, is there a time frame for all these...
a time frame ? yes within the next three and a half years before obama leaves office i recommend a news channel called RT news. WW3 has began. it is currently a proxy war in syria between russia and america but it will escalate. revolution is palpable in the air. can you smell it ? tongue
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by MostHigh: 1:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
obadiah777: [b]a time frame ? yes within the next three and a half years before obama leaves office wink i recommend a news channel called RT news. WW3 has began. it is currently a proxy war in syria between russia and america but it will escalate. revolution is palpable in the air. can you smell it ? [/b] tongue

And these are the prayers of the Saints.

That thy kingdom come, and thy will be done on earth. smiley

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 13, 2013
MostHigh:

And these are the prayers of the Saints.

That thy kingdom come, and thy will be done on earth. smiley
indeed sire >>>> 2 peter 3 vs 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? wink
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by MostHigh: 2:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
obadiah777: indeed sire >>>> 2 peter 3 vs 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? wink

Spot on sire.

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Tgirl4real(f): 4:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
My internet has been wacky.

Q : What is the difference between the great tribulation and God's wrath?

Who or what does the bible mean by Man of Lawlessnes/Anti-Christ?
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by MostHigh: 4:54pm On Aug 13, 2013
author=Tgirl4real]My internet has been wacky.

The great tribulation [b]IS Gods wrath,quoting the words of the master he says...

There has never been a tibulation like this one since the beginning of creation.

In another verse it says "the days of this tribulation will be shortned because of the elect" [/b]

Fret not thyself because of evil doers niether be thou enviouse against the works of the guinea pig smiley

Q Who or what does the bible mean by Man of Lawlessnes/Anti-Christ?

They are one and the same person the little horn of daniel 7 it is he that is refered to as the lawless man of 2nd thess 2 as well

This is the man that has the political power and spiritual backing to enforce a one world religion/state AKA the new world order AKA tower of babel, Nimrod all over again smiley

This order is already in place as we speak, but scripture do say war and strife will divide them

But daniels vision of clay mixed with iron tells us that the tower of babel version 2 is a failed project already

All that remains now is population control/reduction on a massive scale smiley just as we see in the book of genesis/revelation.

The beginning and the end are one and the same thing.

All is judgement smiley

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Image123(m): 6:32pm On Aug 14, 2013
i'll try to do something short on the whole chapter. Sorry, the chapter itself is long, so, "endure to the end" please.

Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to show him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
Pretty clear, the first two verses. Jesus was addressing multitudes that included His disciples, pharisees, lawyers. and other listeners in chapter 23. He ended the chapter by declaring His rejection by Israel, and then He went out, and departed from the temple. Obviously, not angry or bitter for Himself primarily, but for God. He still managed to endure an excursion directed by His disciples. He gave a prophecy of the temple destruction.

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
When He got/sat on Mt. Olives, the disciples(Peter, james and John to be specific) came to Him privately to ask Him THREE questions.
1. When shall these things be, that is the destruction that He prophesied, when will there not be left one stone on the other in this temple?
2. What shall be the sign of thy coming, what are the marks that you are coming back, how will we know when you are coming?
3. What shall be the signs of the end of the world, when will the world end?
It is these THREE questions that Jesus gave answers to in the rest of the chapter(48 verses) and all through the next chapter25. He didn't simply say, question 1 is 70A.D, question 2 is 1990 and question 3 is 2010. How apt thst might have been. It's now up to us all as Bible students to by God's help, Spirit, and wisdom figure out what verse applies to which question.
for me, i usually paraphrase those two chapters as Jesus saying in other words "I am not telling you". When they later asked Him after the ressurection, He told them plainly as He had a flight to catch, as it were.
Act 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
Act 1:7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

Subsequently therefore, i would be attempting to help folks who do not like the I'm not telling you answer. Reminds me of when we serious students went to disturb our teacher to explain something to us, then He gave us serious assignment wey pass exam. It stressed us sha, but we aced the exams BTW.

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Image123(m): 7:29pm On Aug 14, 2013
Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Number one warning. You can be deceived. That you are a child of God, or elect, or whatever name you call yourself does not mean that you cannot be deceived. you need to be careful, to take heed, so as not to be deceived or fall. Let he that thinks he stands take heed. Nothing cannot be lost due to carelessness. Despite all the experience and God's gifts and promises, you need to take heed.

Mat 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
This has more than one meaning. Devil's name is DECEIVER. He doesn't care what way you are deceived, or on what edge og thee narrow way you fall off from. All he wants is that you are deceived, that you fall. Every other way and road is okay for him for you, so far its not the ONLY way. Many people will come and say that they are Christ and will deceive many. That's quite easy, i presume. If some fellow came to Peter or Philip or the early christians and said he was Christ, they would not be so easily deceived or amused. Even today, not many will be deceived, though there are some who amazingly aree so deceived. But then, many would come in Jesus'name, and will be saying that Jesus is the Christ, and will deceive many. That's more like it. Many professing christians on nairaland, in the churches, everywhere, are busied deceiving people, for God knows why. Take heed, that you are not deceived.

Mat 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Okay, this fits either question 3 or 2. Wars and rumors of wars are what makes news stations and newspapers. See that you are not troubled. Many christians are troubled today by wars and rumors of wars, even on this thread. He said, see that ye be not troubled, the end is not yet. There are ministries and TV programmes dedicated to studying events and wars and governments and trying to link them all the time to when Jesus will come and when the world is ending bla bla.

Mat 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
Mat 24:8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
okay, that's PROPHECY, not guesswork. These things have happened and are happening. All these are just the beginning, the tip of the iceberg as it were. There is much more to come in the GREAT tribulation. In the world, presently, theree is tribulation and trials, but all these is childs play compared to what is coming, when the powers of heaven will be shaken.

Mat 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Tgirl4real(f): 11:36pm On Aug 14, 2013
MostHigh: author=Tgirl4real]My internet has been wacky.

The great tribulation [b]IS Gods wrath,quoting the words of the master he says...

There has never been a tibulation like this one since the beginning of creation.

In another verse it says "the days of this tribulation will be shortned because of the elect" [/b]

Fret not thyself because of evil doers niether be thou enviouse against the works of the guinea pig smiley

Q Who or what does the bible mean by Man of Lawlessnes/Anti-Christ?

They are one and the same person the little horn of daniel 7 it is he that is refered to as the lawless man of 2nd thess 2 as well

This is the man that has the political power and spiritual backing to enforce a one world religion/state AKA the new world order AKA tower of babel, Nimrod all over again smiley

This order is already in place as we speak, but scripture do say war and strife will divide them

But daniels vision of clay mixed with iron tells us that the tower of babel version 2 is a failed project already

All that remains now is population control/reduction on a massive scale smiley just as we see in the book of genesis/revelation.

The beginning and the end are one and the same thing.

All is judgement smiley

Thanks. I see that you have edited you comment. I'll ask the next question later.

@ Image, I will read your contribution later.
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Nobody: 6:41am On Aug 20, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Didi5(m): 7:59am On Aug 20, 2013
Informing and heart piercing
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Tgirl4real(f): 8:21am On Aug 20, 2013
@Doc_miss,

you try.

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by UyiIredia(m): 10:27am On Aug 20, 2013
@ Image123: Calvinists would disagree with your interpretation of verse 24. The elect is predestined by God and like the sheep will eventually heed the Master's voice. No matter how bleak it seems for them, they won't be decieved because of their predestination. Jacob and Jesus could be used as examples of predestination.
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 20, 2013
Tgirl4real: @Doc_miss,

you try.
lmao. indeed. the Doctor wrote a thesis. hey Doc, i would read it all later in the day
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Image123(m): 3:09pm On Aug 21, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ Image123: Calvinists would disagree with your interpretation of verse 24. The elect is predestined by God and like the sheep will eventually heed the Master's voice. No matter how bleak it seems for them, they won't be decieved because of their predestination. Jacob and Jesus could be used as examples of predestination.
i guess you are referring to verse 5, i have not yet reached verse 24 but hope to soon. i really would like to be clear on what the elect are predestined to do, and where that is said.
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Image123(m): 3:44pm On Aug 23, 2013
Mat 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
Mat 24:10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
Obviously, this verse(s) show that Jesus is not only talking to Peter, James and John, but to all His disciples in every place. Peter, James and John could not be the only ones to have all these happen to them, being hated of ALL nation, afflicted etc. These actions/suffering will be more prominent just before the second coming. Notice, He is specific about "then" in the two verses. The persecutions we face all around the world now and in the past since the ascension is child's play and mild, compared to the time just BEFORE the second coming. They had asked 3questions, one of which was What shall be the sign of thy coming, what are the marks that you are coming back, how will we know when you are coming?
Around that time, it will be common for christians to be afflicted, and killed, and hated of all nations. Because of this common persecution, MANY other christians will be offended. They will be discouraged, because they would have taught God will assist them and save them. In that time, they will betray one another. In that time they will hate one another. The 'trickles' of backsliding and disappointment/offence that we are seeing now are just the beginning of sorrows.

Mat 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
This is back again in the general, with no specific 'then'. Many false prophets will rise, and will deceive MANY. MANY false prophets deceiving MANY. A false prophet is a prophet that is not of God. It is not a prophet that cannot do miracle or cannot predict. Many people will do miracle and wonders, and give accurate predictions and 'prophecy', but God does not even know them. More reason why they will deceive many, as they have some form of power. A person who does not want to be deceived has to be VERY careful, and to hold the Head(Jesus), not any part of the body but the Head.
Col 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshiping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
Col 2:19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
Mat 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
This is also general and is currently happening, and has been happening since the time of the early christians. Iniquity abounds, we are living in times of evil. Until Jesus comes, the devil is the ruler and prince of these world, and christians need to be careful as to successfully navigate their way in victory until the end of their journey. The end here is talking of the individual end of every christian's life/pilgrimage on earth. The christian is NOT PROMISED a bed of roses. There is an ENDURANCE to be done till the end. You do not endure enjoyment, like chocolate, goody goody, or fried chicken and success in career. You endure hardness.
2Ti 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
The christian is a soldier, even a prisoner of Christ. Iniquity abounds around the world. Unfairness, sorrow, sin, corruption, perversion, we have to endure to be christians in the midst of these.
Rom 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Rom 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
Joh 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Being born again or spirit filled does not preclude anyone from suffering, trial, and tribulation. Yes, God can be merciful and kind to you, and answer your prayer, to give you some things we call blessing, but God has not promised us a hitch-free, trouble-free experience on earth. We are cast down/disappointed but not destroyed. What He has guaranteed though is His presence, comfort and consolation whether in the waters, in the fire, or on land. So we should never let our love wax cold. Paul said "i am persuaded, nothing will separate me", he said " I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.". He was prepared, he knew that life or death, tribulation, famine, unclothedness, angels, whatever may come. Many christians are only prepared for good things. Once good thing does not come or stops coming, they lose faith, the love waxes cold. A prayer 'not answered', a failed exam, a loved one died, poverty, then they wax cold. But he that shall endure to the end of his journey/test, the same will be saved.

Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Please, notice the question again, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
The gospel will be preached in all the world, and THEN shall the end come. Many of us read it as "this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall Jesus come", or then shall the rapture come. So, there are people calculating and saying how many millions or thousands that are yet to hear the gospel, and they conclude that Jesus cannot come now. Meanwhile, He is not being held back or limited by our refusal to preach the gospel. he has sent you to preach, and He is coming anytime. He will come to take His own, and He will come to reign, before the end of the world. We must be prepared to meet the Lord.

Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand)
Hmmm, here is the part that's not so easy and straight. i prefer easy and straight. Nonetheless, i'll try to make it easy and straight, but really, it's not. Obviously, the passage says whoso readeth, let him understand. That is an indication that it is not easy and straight-forward. The reader has to be careful, and understand, take extra note.
When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet. He is referencing this passage below;
Dan 9:23 At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to show thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.
Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
Dan 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
Dan 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
Dan 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

You see, Daniel also, as wise and greatly beloved as he was, was told to understand, consider, and know what was being said. Or better still, the reader is being warned, as actually Daniel didn't exactly need the understanding like the readers, who are to expect its fulfillment. This is among other things, because the desolation is not one, but desolationS, desolations are determined(26). The abomination o f desolation is not just one, about two or more have happened. Infact, history tells of one popular one that happened before Christ gave this passage. Antiochus Epiphany, called the mad one, had come after the prophecy of Daniel but before Jesus was born, and he had desecrated the temple, and made it abominable and desolate. After Jesus'prophecy here, there has being the pulling down of the temple, and abomination, desecration and desolation. They even built a mosque there instead. But the ultimate fulfilment, is when the antichrist himself will desecrate the temple in Jerusalem. and work abominable desolations. That is still future. But all these desecrations, and abominable desolations still are signs and indicators in their right.
i'll love to continue with the verse and passage, but i will quickly touch on somethings in these Daniel passage that Christ alluded to. i'm not delving into full expositions, but the reader can kindly read up Bible commentaries and history to establish what is about to be said.
Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
Seventy weeks translated here is literally "Seventy sevens" i.e seventy times seven. 70 weeks are determined, that is God's time table. The time-table/frame is to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy. Obviously, we are behind schedule as it were, but we know Jesus has come, and made reconciliation for iniquity, He has being anointed by the Spirit. But we still have a lot of transgression and iniquity abounding. There is no end of sins yet. It was all to be done in seventy weeks, or better still, seventy sevens. Seventy sevens is 70 times 7, which is 490. 490years. Hey, Rome was not built in a day cheesy cheesy cheesy
Dan 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
Know and understand, the seventy sevens start counting from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem. Then there is this division of the seventy into three. Two are stated(seven weeks, and sixty-two weeks). The third division(one week) is hidden somewhere. 7+62+1=70. There are 69 weeks to the Messiah(Jesus Christ). From the time that the commandment for the building of Jerusalem came(Nehemiah's time) to the time that Jesus died is 483 years. (Do your research, study and readings please, you can start with Bible commentaries).

Dan 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
7 weeks gone, then 62 weeks. After 62 weeks, Messiah is cut off, killed on the cross of calvary for you and me. And the verse continues almost seemlessly.After the Messiah is cut off, there is a 'prince that shall come'. This prince to come is the usurper, the antichrist. The antichrist's people have been coming since Christ's ascension. They have been busy destroying things, the spirit of the antichrist is already here.
1Jo 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

But there is a one week missing and remaining, or better still, there is a 7year period missing, not yet fulfilled. When Jesus talked of His anointing, He quoted a passage in Isaiah.
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this Scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
Isa 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,

and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

Notice that He stopped at acceptable year of the Lord, saying this day is this Scripture fulfilled. The day of vengeance and the other things that He was to do was not to be 'fulfilled this day'. This is because there is a mysterious gap between. We are in that gap. The gap is called the church age. They did not know about it in the old testament. They were all so concerned about God's covenant with the Jews and how the gentiles will hear word and submit, and their Messiah will reign forever and ever in paradise earth with the wolf and the lamb playing together. They didn't know, they did not expect, it was not revealed to them that the gentiles will become accepted in the beloved, that other sheep will be called. When Jesus came, He was dealing with the Israel primarily, but they rejected Him. they did not receive Him. So, He left them DESOLATE. He paused the time-table.
Luk 13:35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
Now, the church age gap is dateless, it can end anytime. It has passed 490 years, its been about 2000years now, and God just hanged the plan somewhere. Indeed, it remains a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. The church age started with a sound from heaven, popularly called Pentecost. The church age will end with another sound from heaven, referred to as Rapture. Then, the 70week arrangement will continue.

Dan 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
The prince that shall come, the antichrist. Notice the Messiah Prince in capital letter, and the prince that shall come, in small letter. The prince that shall come will confirm some sort of covenant/agreement, but he will renege in the middle of the week. Lemme stop here, and come back to Matthew 24. Hopefully, there is some new knowledge gained and added to the broader perspective of things, thank you.
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Image123(m): 6:00pm On Aug 23, 2013
Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understandsmiley
Mat 24:16 Then let them which be in Judea flee into the mountains:
When you see the abomination of desolation standing in the holy place, flee. Jesus was advicing on what to be done at this time of abomination. He said to flee. The people who were in the region of Judea are to flee. This is exactly what christians did when the Romans attacked Jerusalem and destroyed the place, many of them were preserved. The event have more than one happening, but the advice remains the same. It's not a time to sit and pray, or quote no weapon fashioned against me. At this time Jesus is referring to, they are to flee. Christians need to treasure the lives given them by God, and flee if they have such opportunity. There is no need to be killed anyhow, and lives wasted if such can be avoided.

Mat 24:17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
Mat 24:18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
This refers to urgency of the flight. this is not referring to sin. Some of God's commands are that way. God gives us commands/advice on how best to live our lives, and how the society will not decay or degenerate. Some people trim down all God's words to a case of going to heaven and going to hell. One can ridiculously yank out this verse and say "Jesus said him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house", not considering context, and start foolish questiions and discusions about the implications of anybody or christian coming down from the housetop to take anything out of his house.
All Jesus is saying here is that there should be no time lost at that period, to go inside and prepare some things to flee with. They were to urgently flee before they were stopped.

Mat 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
Mat 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Pregnant people and nursing mothers will suffer more in such a situation, that's common sense as it were. Their prayer and our prayer is that that day/time will not be winter period or sabbath day. These are circumstances that will hinder them from quickly fleeing. Winter weather is harsh, and you do want to be out in the cold, in the mountains, homeless during such a period. The winter will kill, a situation they are fleeing from. The sabbath will restrict activity and movement. Sabbath days and weekends are not as busy as other days. One might not easily access things like is done on other days. There is limited traffic and distance, the markets are not as open, information is not as spread etc.

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

This is the verse that shows us the peculiarity of this time and sign. Remember the questions, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
THEN, at that time, there will be great tribulation. Of course, the first question is ruled out, there has been worse tribulation after the Roman invasion and destruction of the temple. This THEN refers to the second coming. When/after Christ comes, there will be no great tribulation. There will be a reign of peace and prosperity and righteousness. But before His coming, there will be GREAT tribulation. This GREAT tribulation is different from the beginning of sorrows that we face daily. Even in Jesus'time, the days were evil.
Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Eph 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Jesus said in the world, we have tribulation, Paul talks of a present distress. All these is nothing, just beginning of sorrows, a tip of the iceberg, compared to the GREAT tribulation. The verse says of the great tribulation, not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
There is no period comparable to this period. It is a period of wrath. It's a period when both God and devil are angry at the same time. Even Moses alluded to these days.
Deu 4:30 When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice;
It is the time of Jacob's trouble, though it would be world-wide. This is because except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved. Israel will bear the brunt, the worst part. They will be so hurt they will turn to the Saviour/Messiah, saying Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. That's when they will see Him, that's when He will come(Luk 13:35).

Mat 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
Really, i do not enjoy these calculations and speculation. But from what we've seen in Daniel(and in other places not mentioned). Those days of tribulation, great tribulation, are three years and six months. But these verse tells us that those days will be shortened. It can be shortened by the antichrist delaying in breaking his agreement/covenant, or by Christ coming before the end of the week/seven years. Those are just two possible ways. What we know though is that those days will be shortened. There will be so much destruction and death in the wars and suffering that the whole of mankind left will truly be in danger of extinction/extermination. But those days will be shortened because of the elect. The elect are simply the chosen ones. They are in every age and generation. Paul writes to the elect in Colossians for instance as holy and beloved. Many are called but few are chosen. In the time of the great tribulation, there are people that will still manage to live godly lives through much trouble. Those are the elect of that time. But they are not the only elect. i am one of God's elect, and so is every child of God. By God's grace, i will not be here by that period of the great tribulation. But God will gather His elect both from heaven and earth(v31)
Mar 13:27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.

Mat 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mat 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
Obviously, Jesus is addressing not just His primary direct audience of Peter, James and John. He is addressing all his disciples/followers, especially those who will be around at the time of tribulation. Peter will not be deceived by anyone that comes to say he is Christ. Neither would James and John. they knew and handled Christ. It is someone who has not seen and handled the dollar note that can be deceived to think that the ghanaian cedis is the american dollar. But in those days, there will arise false messiahs and false prophets. their falsehood will not be primarily by their powerlessness or arranged prophecy. There are false christs that will shoe GREAT signs and wonders, that will deceive many people. They will so close to deceiving the elect. But the elect will not be deceived. This is because the elect is not primarily driven by miracles, sins and wonders. The elect is driven by the Spirit of God and guided by the Word of God, holding the Head. These is what one should do so that he/she will not be deceived. People(preachers) are followed today because they have wonderful teaching and preaching ability. Their words are believed above the Bible because they perform great signs. Why great signs and miracles are good, and should be coveted in our churches, they are never a benchmark for acceptance before God. God did great signs and wonders, greater than anything we see today, amongst the Israelites in the wilderness. Yet, we are told that God was not pleased with them. He was GRIEVED with them for 40 years. Signs and wonders is not a sure proof that God is pleased with you or your church. Jesus didn't do one miracle or preaching before God declared "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased".
Jesus says Behold, I have told you before. See, I have told you before. Don't be founded on anything except Christ. Not in miracle, not in doctrine even, but in Christ.

Mat 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
Mat 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Pretty clear what question this part is addressing, isn't it? The coming of the Son of man. What shall be the sign of thy coming? As the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also [b]the coming of the Son of man be. It says from east to west i.e from the rising of the sun to the going down of the sun. He is referring to clarity, that His coming will be very clear. Here is how Luke puts it.
Luk 17:24 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.
From one part of the heaven to the other part. That's how lightening is, very clear. Even in a dark weather, or a dark room on a rainy day, you will see the lightning. This is how His second COMING will be, pronounced. Every body will see it. You do not need to be told that He is over there, or in some desert, or in the secret chambers. Don't believe that nonsense. When He came the first time, they had to look for Him, He was born in a manger, meek and lowly. His second coming is not going to be like that, EVERY eye will see Him.
Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
Please, note that this is His COMING, coming to earth. Not the rapture. There is the rapture that ends the church age, which is in a twinkling of an eye, with people disappearing. After the rapture is the one week(seven years) of Daniel 9, and then Jesus will come.

Mat 24:28 For wheresoever the carcass is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
This verse hangs in some sort of isolation in this passage. Permit me to join it with the context in which it was said.
Luk 17:34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.
Luk 17:35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Luk 17:36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Luk 17:37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

Jesus was talking about the disappearances, where one shall be taken, and the other left. This is not the second coming but something before it, the rapture. And they ask Him where, then He says Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together. wheresoever the carcass is, there will the eagles be gathered together. The eageles/birds naturally and instinctively find the carcass. They gather there. It will be that natural and instinctive of believers, dead and alive to be gathered to the Lord.
Gen 49:10 The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.
Believers are going to meet the Lord in the air
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
We will gather together, dead and alive saints, to meet the Lord in the air. That's the promise.
Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Okay, back again, talking about the second coming, which is what He was talking about before the v28 that looked "not in place". Immediately after the tribulation of those days. This is referring to the SPECIFIC GREAT tribulation. The coming of Jesus will be AFTER the tribulation. There will be signs in the atmosphere. This is still in line with how clear and pronounced His second coming TO EARTH will be. He will not be coming as a thief in the night at this time. We should not mix things up. Everybody will know this one, there will be no knowledgeable person unprepared for this one. But for the rapture, nobody knows when. That one is anytime, sudden, and in a twinkle of an eye. This is a mystery, and is often mistaken and even knowing combined with the description of the second coming, and even of the end of the world.
Before the second coming, there will be signs in the atmosphere. Luke talks of not just one sign, but of signS in the plural. It is not just this once that the sun will give signs. Yes, before Jesus comes to earth, there will be a sign, but it is not limited to this. Before the end of the world too, there will be signs in the heaven and sun. Even during the tribulation, there will be signs.
Luk 21:11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.
Luk 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

The sun will be darkened. that's not a first. Recall that the sun was also darkened when Jesus was on the cross, and there was darkness for three hours.
Luk 23:44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
Luk 23:45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.

But sun darkening will be one sign among many others already mentioned, to watch out for when Jesus is to come again to the earth.

Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
After the heavens have shown their sign, then will appear the SIGN of the Lord in heaven. We are not told what this sign is, but we cannot just limit it to say that Jesus will appear in heaven, and everybody will see Him hanging there. No, that is not what is said. Everybody will know He has arrived, and they will mourn and wail in repentance and penitence.
Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
They will see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. i suppose it would have billion views on youtube smiley He will come with His saints.

Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
There will be a gathering together of His elect from everywhere, from heaven, from earth, and from the four winds. From everywhere in short. That will be a massive 'reunion'. Then they will reign for a very long time, not one year, not four years, not even ten years or fifty. Think about a star entertainer or sports person or tv personality, or government. They get to reign, some for a season, some for three to seven years. Some even reign for decades, as it were. But the saints, who have endured to the end will reign forever and ever.
Dan 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars forever and ever.
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Tgirl4real(f): 8:43pm On Aug 23, 2013
Why so long Image? Dayuummm!!!

You could have just created a thread for this. I'll try and read sha.

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Nobody: 6:00pm On Aug 28, 2013
Tgirl4real: Why so long Image? Dayuummm!!!

You could have just created a thread for this. I'll try and read sha.
dude broke out his college thesis grin grin

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Tgirl4real(f): 6:12pm On Aug 28, 2013
obadiah777: dude broke out his college thesis grin grin

ROFLOL

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Image123(m): 10:30pm On Aug 28, 2013
obadiah777: dude broke out his college thesis grin grin

grin you asked for exegesis of the chapter na. Don't be lazi oh, i no even finish the chapter grin

1 Like

Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Tgirl4real(f): 10:48pm On Aug 28, 2013
Image123:

grin you asked for exegesis of the chapter na. Don't be lazi oh, i no even finish the chapter grin

hehehehe

make we digest that one first. grin
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Image123(m): 11:17pm On Aug 28, 2013
Tgirl4real:

hehehehe

make we digest that one first. grin
cheesy cheesy Sure thing
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Nobody: 4:36am On Aug 29, 2013
There was a topic where you said something about Jesus being the incarnate of Issac..... I dunno we'll bcuz way back in time when i was little, although i cannot remember it well....there was a comparison btw Joseph and Jesus and not Issac and Jesus, but correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still a learner

Comparison
They both said a lot of things that annoyed people (josh- dreams; Jesus- prophecies)
Both were sold by someone/ people close to them
Both rose to greater heights (I cannot explain it well)
That's all I can remember for now.... This might not prove a point but I just want to know better or to be proven to why Its Issac=Jesus and not Joseph=Jesus.... That's if they were ever the incarnates....

Merci
Re: Matthew Chapter 24. What Exegesis Can You Contribute To This Chapter by Nobody: 4:53am On Nov 28, 2013
Image123:

grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Israel The Most Brutal And Heartless State In The Race Of Human Being / Why We Hate Going To Church –p-square / How To Know If A Spirit, Voice Or Visitation Is From God Or Satan (discernment)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.