Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,785 members, 7,810,047 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough (12627 Views)

World's First Malaria Vaccine Approved / Malaria Vaccine Discovered. / World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Nebeuwa(m): 8:03pm On Aug 08, 2013
U.S. reports malaria vaccine breakthrough

(CNN) -- U.S. researchers say they've successfully tested a vaccine for malaria on a small group of volunteers and hope to conduct large-scale tests soon.

The vaccine involves multiple, intravenous injections of a weakened form of the disease, scientists from the National Institutes of Health, the Navy, Army and other organizations reported Thursday. Though the results were promising, more extensive field testing will be required, the researchers wrote.

The mosquito-borne tropical disease kills about 1 million people a year and sickens more than 200 million. Dr. William Schaffner, head of the preventive medicine department at Vanderbilt University's medical school, called the results "a scientific advance" -- but it may be eight to 10 years before the vaccine can be scientifically proven, approved and distributed.

"This is not a vaccine that's ready for travelers to the developing world anytime soon," Schaffner told CNN. "However, from the point of view of science dealing with one of the big three infectious causes of death around the world, it's a notable advance. And everybody will be holding their breath, watching to see whether this next trial works and how well it works."
The findings were published Thursday by the peer-reviewed journal Science. The trials involved 57 subjects, including 40 who received the vaccine, between October 2011 to October 2012.

Researchers reported that the six volunteers who received five intravenous doses of the vaccine did not contract malaria when exposed to the microscopic parasite. Of the nine who received four doses, three contracted the disease.

Schaffner, who was not part of the study, said previous attempts using injections into skin or muscle didn't work. Multiple, intravenous injections are "a heck of a way" to administer a vaccine, but "desperate times call for desperate measures," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/malaria-vaccine/

1 Like

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Onlytruth(m): 8:07pm On Aug 08, 2013
I wouldn't call it a breakthrough yet, because it has not been tested enough.
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Nebeuwa(m): 8:10pm On Aug 08, 2013
Onlytruth: I wouldn't call it a breakthrough yet, because it has not been tested enough.

It is a small breakthrough. Because this could be a turning point for the world's fight against malaria.
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Dibiachukwu: 8:21pm On Aug 08, 2013
Igbos don't take this vaccine!
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 08, 2013
Abeg, where can i buy for myself?
I need to forget about malaria. cool
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Tolexander: 8:56pm On Aug 08, 2013
Nice!

Any mosquito should come now!
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by ofala(m): 9:00pm On Aug 08, 2013
A commendable and quite welcome development
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Nebeuwa(m): 10:34pm On Aug 08, 2013
This is good news compared to the other news I see on Nairaland.
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by idupaul: 1:19am On Aug 09, 2013
Nice but I don't trust it yet
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by YoshiMaster: 2:19am On Aug 09, 2013
There goes the collapse of the mosquito industry, albeit temporarily.

I am shorting stocks of insecticide sprays. Although they are still effective on cockroaches, so I might have to put that strategy on hold.

Anyways Mosquito nets should see a slight dip in sales, as well as mosquito repellent jellies.

All this would occur until the next evolution in mosquitos, where they will be sporting the new parasite, phylum Apicomplexa II.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Standing5(m): 2:27am On Aug 09, 2013
I hope this one too does not become resistant when used repeatedly .
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by 99cent: 6:39am On Aug 09, 2013
good news
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 09, 2013
Good for us=======>bad for mosquito

1 Like

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by dokunbam(m): 10:39am On Aug 09, 2013
mosquitoes will not allow u to sleep too not only malaria

Hello all my fellow Nairalanders and eid el fitr to all Muslims

PLS NAIRALANDERS

Am trying to help a very good friend of mine to win Samsung NX300 photo contest
kindly cast your vote for him to win

The steps are as follows

Pls kindly vote for Mbiedabasi Ekpo of CARROT PHOTOGRAPHY @ www.samsungcamerang.com/nx300 pls remember to confirm ur vote by clicking the link that'll be sent to ur email

just click vote at the bottom of his picture, fill in your name and email and confirm the link in your inbox
thanks
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by PrinzeElly: 10:39am On Aug 09, 2013
Good one,Find cure for those tiny wicked things. grin
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Akpaife(m): 10:42am On Aug 09, 2013
mosquito beware becos am abt 2 go n buy ur killer

1 Like

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by mmmustapha(m): 10:43am On Aug 09, 2013
dokunbam: mosquitoes will not allow u to sleep too not only malaria

PLS NAIRALANDERS

The steps are as follows

Pls kindly vote for Mbiedabasi Ekpo of CARROT PHOTOGRAPHY @ www.samsungcamerang.com/nx300 pls remember to confirm ur vote by clicking the link that'll be sent to ur email

just click vote at the bottom of his picture, fill in your name and email and confirm the link in your inbox
thanks
how much u go pay??
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 09, 2013
In as much as this is commendable one has to be wary of all these breakthroughs for Africa.....Till date the conspiracy to reduce the black population still lingers....How was the HIV virus able to enter Africa....some say a woman was raped by an ape...other says it was through vaccines given in east Africa after it has being tested on black prisoners in the US and let free to spread it...what happened to the vaccine tested in Kano for polio that left alot of our kids paralyzed....we need to be careful angry angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 09, 2013
Malaria own don kpafuka!!

Malaria own don kpafuka!!!

Dancing Alingo.... grin

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by BedLam: 10:46am On Aug 09, 2013
Hmmm 10years? Will seun still be the owner of Nairaland by then?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 09, 2013
So manny people in Africa would be out of business soon

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by johnstar(m): 10:48am On Aug 09, 2013
E blyk say 'em don ban me o sad cus I find it difficult 2 reply some post, werin come dey happen nw, undecided
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by ReubenAbati: 10:49am On Aug 09, 2013
[size=14pt]Good one. Oyinbos we get brain dey use am think.

Wetin Nigeria know be make dem carry sick person go church make their pastor pray for him!

Lubbish!
[/size]

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by johnstar(m): 10:50am On Aug 09, 2013
BedLam: Hmmm 10years? Will seun still be the owner of Nairaland by then?
sharap der undecided, bad belle ppl undecided
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by paranorman(m): 10:53am On Aug 09, 2013
Good one.. We will get dere someday in this country.. I must invent something!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by phayvoursky(m): 10:54am On Aug 09, 2013
Dibiachukwu: Igbos don't take this vaccine!

WHO BE DIS ONE AGAIN? D MEDICINE NA TRIBE DETECTOR?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 09, 2013

Science 1 - African Juju 0

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by unmask: 10:57am On Aug 09, 2013
well I wont expect most Nigerians to use the vaccine as it comes from the morally bankrupt USA....besides there might be a handful of gay researchers amongst them.....and as good Nigerians, we wont and cant accept anything that has been contaminated by homos.....

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by horlabiyi(m): 10:57am On Aug 09, 2013
Good for 'em
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by johnstar(m): 10:58am On Aug 09, 2013
Abi nah u MtchEeew.... SMH
dokunbam: mosquitoes will not allow u to sleep too not only malaria

PLS NAIRALANDERS

The steps are as follows

thanks
Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by phayvoursky(m): 10:58am On Aug 09, 2013

u get plan take am?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough by phayvoursky(m): 10:59am On Aug 09, 2013

u get plan to take am?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For December 27 2020 In Nigeria / PERMANENT Non Medical Method Of Curing MOUTH ODOUR.!!!! / Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf And Coconut Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.