Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,313 members, 7,815,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland (27625 Views)

Black Models Go Naked To Protest Racism In Fashion Industry [explicit Photos] / Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row / Tina Turner Weds Erwin Bach In Switzerland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 09, 2013
toshmann:
na why i say make you allow me to carry my air conditioner( i hear say texas dey hot, and under your pata go come add hot join am grin) come enter under your sweetened pata cheesy
that way u no go look for me ever again wink

racism dey na, e dey very subtle but e day. Even the POTUS (president of the united states) was profiled (show your birth certificate). but racism dey for employment interviews and that one NO LAW can remove it bc businesses decide whom to hire.that is a more serious issue.

how else can you explain Mr Snowden (the spy whistle blower) getting that job that pays $150-200,000.00 while he was a high school drop out shocked . . when college graduates are looking for a job. if he was black can he get that kind of job? high school drop out? he no even finish high school. my sister leave matter

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

It's not just about education, experience is a money maker. Creativity, renovation etc.

But yes, it's harder for blacks on the same platform.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by zoopepe(m): 6:01pm On Aug 09, 2013
Yet some g--t will sill carry our money to keep in their banks.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by toshmann(m): 6:01pm On Aug 09, 2013
ZUBY77: The same thing happened to me in Amsterdam central in 2010.
I had entered into a Diamond shop and was looking at a particular stone through the Glass.
The manager walked past me and said
''You can't pay for that young man''..

I checked the price and it was €42.000.. ( Fourty two thousand Euros)

[size=18pt]He was right[/size] .

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by toshmann(m): 6:06pm On Aug 09, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

It's not just about education, experience is a money maker. Creativity, renovation etc.

But yes, it's harder for blacks on the same platform.

and how many black people do you think will be given an opportunity to showcase their creativity in america. haven't you seen the number of blacks from the hood who were given the opportunity to show their talent in sports, music, film industry etc and they excelled. you think that is the only place where blacks are talented in? No sister/girlfriend/future-wife . . .it is the place where they were given the chance to grow.

i have seen a black guy doing economics in college. he was having a hard time in school and he went to see the school's councellor for advice and the councellor told him that may be economics isnt the best for him, and suggested he try sports. . . . . . . if not that that guy already had strong family background with educated parebts, he woulda taken such suggestion seriously. of course the dude ignored her advice and even told her that she would be invited for his graduation.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by supaeagles(m): 6:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
Oprah should have just vexed and bought the whole store and fired that silly shop assistant.... but she handled it elegantly instead .... that's why she da boss!! cool
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by willibounce: 6:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
dplomaticVal: It s mindboggling tht sm dummies here tht havnt evn seen the four walls of a classroom bfr are amongst the peeps ranting racism angry ,wht do u guys knw is racism?For pete's sake the salesgirl ws nvr in any way tryin to intimidate or feel superior to Winfrey because of her skin color!!!. The price of the bag Winfrey wntd to purchase was too exorbitant (equivalent to the price of a car). so the salesgirl ws only tryin to advise her as a client to go for a cheap affordable commodity because she nvr knew that Winfrey is a moneybag. so it is foolhardy for anyone to translate wht happened in zurich as racism.

What kinda proud illiterate are u. Even if the bag is equivalent to the price of 2 bugatti, it is not the biz of the sales girl to advice a customer she doesn't know to buy something cheap and affordable. D sales girl was employed to attend to customers and convince them to buy whatever product d store sells no matter how expensive. D stupid sales girl judged based on appearance and lost that pretty sale. Did Winfrey ever tell her she couldn't afford d bag? No be every rich person dey show.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by makahlj2: 6:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
supaeagles: Oprah should have just vexed and bought the whole store and fired that silly shop assistant.... but she handled it elegantly instead .... that's why she da boss!! cool
She did the right thing... didn't let her emotions control her actions.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 09, 2013
dplomaticVal: It s mindboggling tht sm dummies here tht havnt evn seen the four walls of a classroom bfr are amongst the peeps ranting racism angry ,wht do u guys knw is racism?For pete's sake the salesgirl ws nvr in any way tryin to intimidate or feel superior to Winfrey because of her skin color!!!. The price of the bag Winfrey wntd to purchase was too exorbitant (equivalent to the price of a car). so the salesgirl ws only tryin to advise her as a client to go for a cheap affordable commodity because she nvr knew that Winfrey is a moneybag. so it is foolhardy for anyone to translate wht happened in zurich as racism.

Mo'r'on

If you can't read, let me help you and stop displaying your foolishness here !

Winfrey, one of the world's richest women, was apparently told the bags on display were "too expensive" for her .

Comprehension is your problem !

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by taiocol: 6:16pm On Aug 09, 2013
REMMEI: Nigerians even suffers racism/tribalism in Nigeria..so what else?..
she go want more
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 09, 2013
I don't get it? What is racism about it, maybe that woman was reserving that bag for som1 else, or is it the only bag in the world that oprah can't get another bag!? Why must it be a race issue! Mttchew

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 09, 2013
toshmann:
and how many black people do you think will be given an opportunity to showcase their creativity in america. haven't you seen the number of blacks from the hood who were given the opportunity to show their talent in sports, music, film industry etc and they excelled. you think that is the only place where blacks are talented in? No sister/girlfriend/future-wife . . .it is the place where they were given the chance to grow.

i have seen a black guy doing economics in college. he was having a hard time in school and he went to see the school's councellor for advice and the councellor told him that may be economics isnt the best for him, and suggested he try sports. . . . . . . if not that that guy already had strong family background with educated parebts, he woulda taken such suggestion seriously. of course the dude ignored her advice and even told her that she would be invited for his graduation.

lol tosh, you're a joker @bolded grin

I understand what you're saying. Maybe I overlook a lot of things, but my AA friend was telling me about how racist our school is and I'm like "I've never noticed".
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 09, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Mo'r'on

If you can't read, let me help you and stop displaying your foolishness here !

Comprehension is your problem !
must you call him/her a slowpoke, he has a point, none of us was there, may be it was an advice for her to go for a cheaper one, or probably she dint know who oprah is, then they media took it another dimension!! Whatever reason it is not the only bag in the world, she could just get another one or walk away «4»rm the store which she did honorably! So I don't see any race issue in this!

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:36pm On Aug 09, 2013

Na so some people dey do like say Dem smart. Is the shopkeeper put there to divert shoppers to a low budget shop? ITK in case u don't know what it means (I Too Know)

PS: Where the MUMU?? The Swiss government don apologise. Captain for Dundee United.

The tourism office also posted an apology on Twitter, saying "this person acted terribly wrong." http://omg.yahoo.com/news/oprah-gets-swiss-apologies-racist-encounter-135717015.html

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by toshmann(m): 6:37pm On Aug 09, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

lol tosh, you're a joker @bolded grin

toshmann doesnt joke with women matters cool . . . . . . .
you are my sister smiley . . .
you are my friend and you are a girl--->girl+ friend=girlfriend
and finally, by his grace, one day i will eventually come to texas to remove the only good thing in that state cool

I understand what you're saying. Maybe I overlook a lot of things, but my AA friend was telling me about how racist our school is and I'm like "I've never noticed".
you will never notice 21st century racism. there are laws against racism in the united states so racism has taken a new dimension incognito.

why are the liqor stores almost always in black neighborhoods?
but they aint owned by blacks
why are the gun shops almost always in black neighborhoods?
but the aint always owned by blacks.
blacks are thrown into jails for all sorts of reasons and then laws are passed that make it really hard for an ex-convict to get a real job and a new life. that way they end up back in jail.
street drugs (used mostly by poor blacks) carry a heavy penalty while refined drugs (used by rich whites) carry less penalty.

black violent criminal--->street thug, jail/death sentence
white violent criminal----> psychopath, multiple personality disorder, depression, schizophrenic--->go to hospital and get treatment.

Lindsay lohan serial issues with theft and drugs--->light jail sentence & rehabilitaion. if she as black jail sentence which ends her career.

soon blacks in the south will be unable to vote as before . . . then watch the new laws that a white dominated state congresses will pass.

so my sear sister/girlfriend/future-wife, it is real, it is subtle, it is there. just be careful
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Paulipopor: 6:47pm On Aug 09, 2013
Mr Aboki: Why not just leave the store, return with a buncha destitute blacks, have them clean out every darn item in the store, pay for it, buy up the building and turn it into a homeless shelter... angry

Boss!

INSPIRING!!!

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by ono(m): 6:48pm On Aug 09, 2013
toshmann:

Hmnn.. Tosh, long time. So true - all you said man.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 09, 2013
toshmann:
toshmann doesnt joke with women matters cool . . . . . . .
you are my sister smiley . . .
you are my friend and you are a girl--->girl+ friend=girlfriend
and finally, by his grace, one day i will eventually come to texas to remove the only good thing in that state cool

you will never notice 21st century racism. there are laws against racism in the united states so racism has taken a new dimension incognito.

Best be careful before your brothers disown you for here tongue

toshmann:
why are the liqor stores almost always in black neighborhoods?
but they aint owned by blacks
why are the gun shops almost always in black neighborhoods?
but the aint always owned by blacks.
blacks are thrown into jails for all sorts of reasons and then laws are passed that make it really hard for an ex-convict to get a real job and a new life. that way they end up back in jail.
street drugs (used mostly by poor blacks) carry a heavy penalty while refined drugs (used by rich whites) carry less penalty.

black violent criminal--->street thug, jail/death sentence
white violent criminal----> psychopath, multiple personality disorder, depression, schizophrenic--->go to hospital and get treatment.

Lindsay lohan serial issues with theft and drugs--->light jail sentence & rehabilitaion. if she as black jail sentence which ends her career.

soon blacks in the south will be unable to vote as before . . . then watch the new laws that a white dominated state congresses will pass.

so my sear sister/girlfriend/future-wife, it is real, it is subtle, it is there. just be careful

Of course I've noticed these ones. Who could miss them, they're "so in our face".
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 09, 2013
The same Switzerland our daft politicians go hide their money for.....

I absolutely condemn all forms of racism, but as blacks, we need to love ourselves and help each other firstly.

If we invest in our country, develop it, etc, our brothers and sisters won't go beg for asylum in Switzerland.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by huntila(m): 6:53pm On Aug 09, 2013
Oprah handled it Nicely. But name of the shop should have been mentioned[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by yuzedo: 6:55pm On Aug 09, 2013
wonlasewonimi: Maybe she should stop dressing like a homeless person to these shops. She was the one refused entry at Hermes the other day.
I had entered into a Diamond shop and was looking at a particular stone through the Glass.

He was right.
grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by toshmann(m): 6:55pm On Aug 09, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Best be careful before your brothers disown you for here tongue

disown me for wetin angry a whole me,
toshmann the great,
the crown prince of umumkpi,
the anu ana agba egbe o na acho condom 1 of umumkpi,

mba nu nu nu, it cant happen. "i no be childrenism"

Of course I've noticed these ones. Who could miss them, they're "so in our face".
good you notice

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by deeptesting(m): 6:56pm On Aug 09, 2013

Bros you have just won the most illogical comment price of Nairaland...please come to our office to collect your price on Monday. Don't forget to come with your ID.

5 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by MuyiGL: 6:57pm On Aug 09, 2013
Why must she be racist? Why can't she just be an a**hole? Oh yeah, everything has to be about race right? I mean I experienced this same thing at the hands of a fellow Nigerian. I was shopping at an expensive store, I had the money but maybe not the look to match it at the time, and the store assistant treated me as a pest, a fellow Nigerian. Was she racist too?
As far as I know, this lady does not know who Oprah is (they don't get to watch her show in their country) and she may have been trying to offer unsolicited financial advice.
Not disputing the fact that racism still exists. I'm just wondering if we ever allow ourselves consider other possible interpretations to these people's actions?

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
toshmann:
na why i say make you allow me to carry my air conditioner( i hear say texas dey hot, and under your pata go come add hot join am grin) come enter under your sweetened pata cheesy
that way u no go look for me ever again wink

racism dey na, e dey very subtle but e day. Even the POTUS (president of the united states) was profiled (show your birth certificate). but racism dey for employment interviews and that one NO LAW can remove it bc businesses decide whom to hire.that is a more serious issue.

how else can you explain Mr Snowden (the spy whistle blower) getting that job that pays $150-200,000.00 while he was a high school drop out shocked . . when college graduates are looking for a job. if he was black can he get that kind of job? high school drop out? he no even finish high school. my sister leave matter
Pls let us hear word, the white man does not owe you a job or anything for that matter, if you dont like the rascism you know the way back to MMIA
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by toshmann(m): 6:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
ono:

Hmnn.. Tosh, long time.
longest time my guy. how body?
So true - all you said man.

truth hurts
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by toshmann(m): 7:04pm On Aug 09, 2013
femmyb: Pls let us hear word, the white man does not owe you a job or anything for that matter, if you dont like the rascism (racism, rat brain wink ) you know the way to MMIA

the only solution your rat brain could offer for racism is MMIA grin

i got news for you, for all the racism here, no one will shoot me bc of religion or ethnicity. . . and by the way, my complaint was about Oprah whose only racism is she was told she cant buy a handbag. i'm of the opinion that there are more serious issues.

why do clueless people rush to ask people abroad to come back home at the slightest issue? as if home is a paradise.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 09, 2013
Diasporan: Same thing happened to my friend here in the US few months back when he went to buy a car worth 80 thousand dollars with a down payment of 40 thousand dollars.The white sales man told him he can't collect the check cause he doubt if a young black man can own such an amount in the bank.It took the intervention of the Sales manager before they accepted the check.Funny enough my friend is a Doctor and in his early 30s who makes a lot of cash.Its quite unfortunate but that is the world we are living in the West.A world filled with racism and going back home to Nigeria you will also be greeted by Tribalism,religious bigotry and nepotism in the length and breadth of the country.
and that is human nature for you!!
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 09, 2013
femmyb: Pls let us hear word, the white man does not owe you a job or anything for that matter, if you dont like the rascism you know the way back to MMIA

So how about the AA?
How about unemployment in Nigeria?
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 7:09pm On Aug 09, 2013
toshmann: disown me for wetin angry a whole me,
toshmann the great,
the crown prince of umumkpi,
the anu ana agba egbe o na acho condom 1 of umumkpi,

mba nu nu nu, it cant happen. "i no be childrenism"

good you notice

Lol what is a whole you?
abeg jor
You wey I fit carry above my head like firewood tongue
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by dBard: 7:10pm On Aug 09, 2013

He was right.

I dont see wat the 'racist' brouhaha is all about??
I've walked into a boutique before (2005), d sales person looked @me n didnt bother standing up,I felt insulted, but wen I looked at d cost of d items I realised she was right.. I couldnt afford a 75k shoes then. she had acessed me correctly.
In Oprahs case d sales girl was wrong but we dnt knw wat Oprah must ve looked like..dressing n all.
I.m.o, Oprahs d one seeing tins in black n white
she needs technicolor.. cool
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 09, 2013
Diasporan: Same thing happened to my friend here in the US few months back when he went to buy a car worth 80 thousand dollars with a down payment of 40 thousand dollars.The white sales man told him he can't collect the check cause he doubt if a young black man can own such an amount in the bank.It took the intervention of the Sales manager before they accepted the check.Funny enough my friend is a Doctor and in his early 30s who makes a lot of cash.Its quite unfortunate but that is the world we are living in the West.A world filled with racism and going back home to Nigeria you will also be greeted by Tribalism,religious bigotry and nepotism in the length and breadth of the country.
and that is human nature for you!! It can't be changed! As long as we are humans we continue to be @war with ourselves, even in our families, discrimination exists. a particular group will try to dominate others! So we just have to learn to deal and live with it.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by toshmann(m): 7:12pm On Aug 09, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Lol what is a whole you?
abeg jor
You wey I fit carry above my head like firewood tongue
no wahala, if you fit carry me for head drop me for bed . . . and the rest as they say is history cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"If You Knew My Whole Story, You’d Be Proud Of Me!" - Ray Hushpuppi / Genevieve Nnaji Tours Beijing, China (photos) / Christabel Egbenya Weds Onumajuru In Edo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.