Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,072 members, 7,818,201 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland (27632 Views)

Black Models Go Naked To Protest Racism In Fashion Industry [explicit Photos] / Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row / Tina Turner Weds Erwin Bach In Switzerland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by yomalex(m): 5:45am On Aug 09, 2013
US talk show host Oprah Winfrey says she was the victim of racism during a recent visit to Switzerland.

She said an assistant refused to serve her in an upmarket handbag shop in Zurich.

Winfrey, one of the world's richest women, was apparently told the bags on display were "too expensive" for her.

Her claims, made to a US television programme, come amid a political row over plans by some Swiss towns to ban asylum-seekers from some public places.

The BBC's Imogen Foulkes in Berne says human rights groups have likened the plans - which include banning asylum-seekers from swimming pools, playing fields and libraries - to apartheid.

Proof
Winfrey, who stars in Lee Daniels' new film The Butler, visited Zurich last month to attend singer Tina Turner's wedding. The Oprah Winfrey Show is not shown in Switzerland.

Winfrey said she left the shop calmly without arguing, but that the experience was proof that racism continues to be a problem.

"There's two different ways to handle it," she said. "I could've had the whole blow-up thing... but it still exists, of course it does."

Her claims are a public relations disaster for Switzerland, our correspondent says.

About 48,000 people are currently seeking asylum in Switzerland. It has twice as many asylum seekers as the European average.

Officials say the curbs, which will also see asylum-seekers housed in special centres, are aimed at preventing tensions with residents.

The country's asylum laws were tightened in June.

Source
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by WanaG(m): 6:14am On Aug 09, 2013
I'm kinda lost though... Does Seun or Nairaland give prizes to the first commenters?

6 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by KaceeDcontrol(m): 6:32am On Aug 09, 2013
Lol
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by REMMEI(m): 7:11am On Aug 09, 2013
Nigerians even suffers racism/tribalism in Nigeria..so what else?..

12 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 09, 2013
I love Nigerians die. never heard any Nigerian complain of racism. who get that time? na u sabi... na money dey my mind now!! do make I comot 4 here jor

3 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Chinwem(f): 7:21am On Aug 09, 2013
Oprah was so cool, she left quietly
She should ve emptied the whole shop in the woman's presence
Ignorance is bliss......they just lost a potential customer
And why is the name of the shop not mentioned?
Name and shame them people

16 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by ReubenAbati: 7:52am On Aug 09, 2013
That is why I always say, don't judge a book by its cover.

Oya, Nairaland prayer warriors, I hand it over to you. grin

3 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by yomalex(m): 7:59am On Aug 09, 2013
i think she handled it in a very nice way
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Virus777: 8:30am On Aug 09, 2013
Really appalling! That racist piece of sh1t should go and bury his/her face in shame. I hope he/she now knows that the black woman she treated with disdain and disrespect can buy the whole shop, including the stoopid attendant and most probably that filthy town. I love you Oprah, you are the best.

8 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Danhumprey: 8:33am On Aug 09, 2013
Racism!!! When would it end
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by kunlesehan(m): 10:04am On Aug 09, 2013
Oprah should have bought 10 of those bags and have the lady carry them to her car. That way her perception will change. she need's a paridigm shift.

see as oprah matter come overshadow tina turner wedding.
abi nah dat shop she for buy the wedding gifts if not for that silly shop assistant mumuism.

3 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 09, 2013
Good for Oprah=====>Bad for the shop owner
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 09, 2013
was it not this woman that said all Nigerians are potential fraudsters?

3 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Sureboy411: 1:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
Habatically speaking that attendant should have been arrested

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by gluv01(f): 1:39pm On Aug 09, 2013
What a fantastic attitude she put up there!
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by dplomaticVal: 2:33pm On Aug 09, 2013
It s mindboggling tht sm dummies here tht havnt evn seen the four walls of a classroom bfr are amongst the peeps ranting racism angry ,wht do u guys knw is racism?For pete's sake the salesgirl ws nvr in any way tryin to intimidate or feel superior to Winfrey because of her skin color!!!. The price of the bag Winfrey wntd to purchase was too exorbitant (equivalent to the price of a car). so the salesgirl ws only tryin to advise her as a client to go for a cheap affordable commodity because she nvr knew that Winfrey is a moneybag. so it is foolhardy for anyone to translate wht happened in zurich as racism.

10 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by debojyde(m): 2:44pm On Aug 09, 2013
dplomaticVal: It s mindboggling tht sm dummies here tht havnt evn seen the four walls of a classroom bfr are amongst the peeps ranting racism angry ,wht do u guys knw is racism?For pete's sake the salesgirl ws nvr in any way tryin to intimidate or feel superior to Winfrey because of her skin color!!!. The price of the bag Winfrey wntd to purchase was too exorbitant (equivalent to the price of a car). so the salesgirl ws only tryin to advise her as a client to go for a cheap affordable commodity because she nvr knew that Winfrey is a moneybag. so it is foolhardy for anyone to translate wht happened in zurich as racism.

U're very wrong. Does the same salesgirl advise every client to go for cheap affordable commodity?? If she did that then she would not have a Job. The point it what made her come to the conclusion that Winfrey could not afford the bag. It's obvious it was Winfrey skin color. Do you think if Winfrey was white she would have done the same thing? Does she tell the white customers to go searching for cheaper alternative . Wake up , that was some racist shit

51 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by free2ryhme: 3:48pm On Aug 09, 2013
lipsrsealed no comment
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by rashy(m): 3:49pm On Aug 09, 2013
Awwww...I love d part "I left the shop calmly without arguing" if twere to be a naija celeb(I ddnt mention no names o); ul hear *do u know who I am? Ehn?* especially some dirty celebs! And yet, shez one of the richest woman in d world. Oh yeah, she can even buy the whole store.

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Benite: 3:50pm On Aug 09, 2013
ASUU ooooooo common call off strike joor

4 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nebeuwa(m): 3:55pm On Aug 09, 2013
A powerful and wealthy woman like that still has to go through racism.

This is how many people in the world view black people and we still fight among ourselves. We should be uniting, we are always trying to divide ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by madridsta007(m): 3:56pm On Aug 09, 2013
Racism... LOL... Happens all the time, Oprah, in all the most 'advanced' countries.

They see a black person and suddenly feel the person is too 'small' and 'inferior' or, as in most cases, a preconceived feeling that the black person is a thief- no thanks to Hollywood.

If only she knew Oprah could buy the whole store 10 times over and give the items to charity and not feel anything.
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by MrAboki: 3:57pm On Aug 09, 2013
Why not just leave the store, return with a buncha destitute blacks, have them clean out every darn item in the store, pay for it, buy up the building and turn it into a homeless shelter... angry

Boss!

51 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by ZUBY77(m): 3:57pm On Aug 09, 2013
The same thing happened to me in Amsterdam central in 2010.
I had entered into a Diamond shop and was looking at a particular stone through the Glass.
The manager walked past me and said
''You can't pay for that young man''..

I checked the price and it was €42.000.. ( Fourty two thousand Euros)

He was right.

50 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by mascot87(m): 3:57pm On Aug 09, 2013
Danhumprey: Racism!!! When would it end
It would NEVER end so stop dreaming

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by donted(m): 3:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
dplomaticVal: It s mindboggling tht sm dummies here tht havnt evn seen the four walls of a classroom bfr are amongst the peeps ranting racism angry ,wht do u guys knw is racism?For pete's sake the salesgirl ws nvr in any way tryin to intimidate or feel superior to Winfrey because of her skin color!!!. The price of the bag Winfrey wntd to purchase was too exorbitant (equivalent to the price of a car). so the salesgirl ws only tryin to advise her as a client to go for a cheap affordable commodity because she nvr knew that Winfrey is a moneybag. so it is foolhardy for anyone to translate wht happened in zurich as racism.

The way u pictured everything was as if u r dia wen it happened. I knw u r a PhD holder grin

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by momodub: 3:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
operah omo see gobe
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
Really? If a customer decides to buy the all the bags in the shop, what's her business. her business is to sell and not to advise a customer what she should buy. Me think it's racism. period!

3 Likes

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by skiesoduah: 3:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
Oops sttupid ugly black woman! I thought she was white.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by fittty(m): 3:59pm On Aug 09, 2013
Interesting
Re: Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland by safarigirl(f): 4:01pm On Aug 09, 2013
Wetin she dey fijnd for another pesin country if she know say she no like am?

Because it's Oprah una dey troway congrats, if say na Naija pesin una for dey ask why she no siddon for where she dey

When you don't remain in your fatherland and go to another country then you're open to anything, richest woman, she be God?

Oprah ni Okra co, abeg ASUU call off strike o jare

Btw, Tina Turner still dey marry? She never old finish?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Damilola Adegbite Reacts To Reports About Her 'Crashed' Marriage / Jackie Appiah Divorces Her Husband After 3 Years Of Marriage / PHOTOS: Dolapo Oni In Her Wedding Dress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.