Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,062 members, 7,956,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:41 AM

Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable (7776 Views)

"Stella Oduah's Fraud At Enugu Airport" / Hundreds Throng Enugu Airport To Pay Respect To Chukwumerije. Picture. / Enugu Airport: Before And After GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Yorubest: 10:22pm On Aug 09, 2013
I'm posting this objectively and I want an objective analysis of the subject

I have taken time out to study the passenger traffic figures for different airports in Nigeria with a focus on international flights

As expected, the most active airport is the MMIA, Lagos, with about 3 million international passengers annually (http://www.faannigeria.org/statistics.html)

The second highest is NAIA, Abuja with ...wait for it barely 500,000 passengers

Now lets pause for a minute before we move to the other airports

Abuja has the highest per capita income in Nigeria due to its low population (compared to Lagos) and the staggering income of top government officials and politicians

Lagos has the second highest PCI

Looking at the disparity in passenger traffic, it goes to show that two factors determine passenger traffic. Per capita and population

Enugu doesn't have the population, neither does it have the PCI to make the airport thrive

You may want to argue that it will serve neighboring states but wait for PHIA's international airport traffic figures - Less than 70,000 passengers annually

This airport could easily serve the east but its obvious, from passenger traffic, that it isn't a major hub for international passenger traffic

With this analysis, it is evident that Enugu Airport, which I've flown through severally, is at best a domestic airport and should it become an international airport, it can't generate as much in passenger traffic as PHIA currently at less than 70,000 passengers annually

I would appreciate objective analyses and not tribal rants on this please

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Chamackh(m): 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2013
I have a job for you. It seems u need to hook up with something. cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 10:36pm On Aug 09, 2013
Yorubest:
Enugu doesn't have the population, neither does it have the PCI to make the airport thrive

You may want to argue that it will serve neighboring states but wait for PHIA's international airport traffic figures - Less than 70,000 passengers annually

This airport could easily serve the east but its obvious, from passenger traffic, that it isn't a major hub for international passenger traffic

With this analysis, it is evident that Enugu Airport, which I've flown through severally, is at best a domestic airport and should it become an international airport, it can't generate as much in passenger traffic as PHIA currently at less than 70,000 passengers annually

I would appreciate objective analyses and not tribal rants on this please

your calculation is way off.
add the 1.5 million that will stop using Lagos to the Enugu figures and you will start to see the clearer picture. wink

25 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Yorubest: 10:40pm On Aug 09, 2013
re@lchange:

your calculation is of.
add the 1.5 million that will stop using Lagos to the Enugu figures and you will start to see the clearer picture. wink

Why haven't they started using PH Int'l Airport and despite the high PCI of Abuja, it can only command a passenger traffic of 500,000 passengers annually?

The two drivers are population and income

The state doesn't have the two and even if the neighboring states did, PHC would have had these figures

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 10:43pm On Aug 09, 2013
Yorubest:

Why haven't they started using PH Int'l Airport and despite the high PCI of Abuja, it can only command a passenger traffic of 500,000 passengers annually?

The state doesn't have the two and even if the neighboring states did, PHC would have had these figures

i hope you know that at least 50% of users of lagos airport originate from SE -they actually originate their journeys from SE. now if you add the igbo that will eventually leave Lagos to locate in the east, the picture gets closer to a tipping scale over lagos. this will not happen overnight of course, but will surely happen.
you should be happy. wink

6 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Yorubest: 10:48pm On Aug 09, 2013
re@lchange:

i hope you know that at least 50% of users of lagos airport originate from SE -they actually originate their journeys from SE. now if you add the igbo that will eventually leave Lagos to locate in the east, the picture gets closer to a tipping scale over lagos. this will not happen overnight of course, but will surely happen.
you should be happy. wink

Do you have facts to support this 50%?

I fly internationally to several destinations virtually every month and I can't say Igbos are more on most of my flights. I don't even bother looking out for who is on board. Once a while I have chats with and exchange contacts with other passengers I'm seated by but its always an exception but I've only exchanged contacts with an Igbo woman once in up to ten people I've met on board. I can be more affirmative about the Nigeria tribes I see in my destinations though. In the UK and USA, I see more Yorubas but I will agree there are a number of Igbos in SA and Dubai but of course there are more Nigerians in the UK and USA. These are the biggest destinations for Nigerians though

My point here is if Enugu can generate the traffic, PHC would have done that before it due into its proximity to the SE states

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Freewilly(f): 10:49pm On Aug 09, 2013
It's very obvious the op has never traveled out of Nigeria before.

90% of the passengers traveling from Amsterdam,London or Frankfort to Nigeria are Igbos going for the holidays.

If we had a direct flight from those two major hubs to Enugu trust me Lagos and Abuja Airports will

crumble in less than a couple of year.

6 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 10:52pm On Aug 09, 2013
Freewilly: It's very obvious the op has never traveled out of Nigeria before.

90% of the passengers traveling from Amsterdam or Frankfort to Nigeria are Igbos going for the holidays.

If we had a direct flight from those two major hubs to Enugu trust me Lagos and Abuja Airports will

lol i was thinking the exact same thing.
all south east/far east asia flights are igbo dominated too
american flights are heavily igbo laden as well.

4 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 09, 2013
op

port harcourt has not enjoyed it because of abandon property issues which made SE igbo not invest much or stay there much
it is all thanks to the national internal divide and rule
which is ending starting with GEJ in office

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Yorubest: 10:55pm On Aug 09, 2013
Freewilly: It's very obvious the op has never traveled out of Nigeria before.

90% of the passengers traveling from Amsterdam,London or Frankfort to Nigeria are Igbos going for the holidays.

I'm sure you're the one who has never been on a plane before because anyone who has will easily understand my post and my point

Planes don't just land in airports because they feel like

Business cases are made

Why is PH Int'l Airport not getting the figures despite its proximity to the East?

If you can't answer that, then you need to review your reasoning

3 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 09, 2013
Yorubest:

I'm sure you're the one who has never been on a plane before because anyone who has will easily understand my post and my point

Planes don't just land in airports because they feel like

Business cases are made

Why is PH Int'l Airport not getting the figures despite its proximity to the East?

If you can't answer that, then you need to review your reasoning

you obviously aren't interested in the answer given. lol
btw why do you think SE has been clamouring for international airport since?
didn't we see port harcourt?
you need to go back to your nigerian history school please

3 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nightshift(m): 10:59pm On Aug 09, 2013
Only the operating airlines to the Coal city airport will determine its profitability or otherwise.
You the OP have absolutely nothing tangible to say about something that is yet to start. Unless you are one of the vultures at Murtala, who relish collecting 'egunje' from or molesting Igbo passengers. When Enugu takes off, such vultures will loose more than 50% of their dirty-money intake.

6 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Freewilly(f): 11:01pm On Aug 09, 2013
re@lchange:

lol i was thinking the exact same thing.
all south east/far east asia flights are igbo dominated too
american flights are heavily igbo laden as well.

Like I said the op is just talking trash and has never traveled out of his village.

Last year I was on a Flight from SFO to FRA to Nigeria and most of the Nigerians on those flights where Igbos going home

for the Christmas Holiday. And even when we got to Nigeria we could not even get flights from Abuja to Enugu because they

where all booked in advance.

2 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Yorubest: 11:03pm On Aug 09, 2013
re@lchange:

you obviously aren't interested in the answer given. lol
btw why do you think SE has been clamouring for international airport since?
didn't we see port harcourt?
you need to go back to your nigerian history school please

I believe you have the same issue you highlighted with Abuja which is closer to the SE than Lagos
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by billante(m): 11:03pm On Aug 09, 2013
One thing you should knw nigerian airports has all these yrs been operating under its potential capacity due to several factors like poor facilities, safety issues,high fares,weak economy, lack of good competition btw the airlines and some other factors!

But through transformation agenda of the ministry of aviation, all these factors that has been hampering the sector from booming is been aggressively addressed, even new concepts like the aerotropolis idea is coming on board to even drive more traffic to nigerian airports!

Know that lagos is doubling its last year passenger traffic this year already from statistics coming in, there are lots of new arilines starting news routes in nigeria this year, and guess which region has a substantial number of passengers traveling tru lagos airport? Easterners.......and when ethiopian airlines will be flying them straight to china, dubai ,US, london,milan etc you think they will still be using lagos airport?

Lagos should do 4 million international passenger traffic this year and if 25 percent of that traffic start using enugu airport, that's a cool one million passenger traffic flying in and out from enugu!
Not forgetting enugu airport has also been added as a cargo airport for the easterns to be flying the agricultural products to europe and asia faster!

So why won't enugu airport trive?

3 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by 0monnakoda: 11:04pm On Aug 09, 2013
This is true Ibos fly everywhere.Just came back from Mecca 90% of the people on the plane were Ibo. Even the pilot was Ibo

6 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 09, 2013
Yorubest:

I believe you have the same issue you highlighted with Abuja which is closer to the SE than Lagos

arguing with you makes no damn sense
in fact this thread is useless and makes no sense
why not wait until enugu fully takes off? lol or are you having sleepless nights? grin

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by otokx(m): 11:08pm On Aug 09, 2013
One thing we lack in Nigeria is objectivity. By this time next year we shall know the viability of Enugu airport. PH airport tho still international has its flights routing thru Lagos and Abuja. Lufthansa is still here cos of german expatriates in Julius Berger and Bilfingher. Air France is still here cos of total.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Freewilly(f): 11:08pm On Aug 09, 2013
re@lchange:

arguing with you makes no damn sense
in fact this thread is useless and makes no sense
why not wait until enugu fully takes off? lol or are you having sleepless nights? grin

GBAM!!!!

You'v said it all my brother.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Datiboboi: 11:13pm On Aug 09, 2013
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 09, 2013
Yorubest:

First you have to realize that Airports are not located only because of traffic, they can also be located for political reason, that is why most airports are government owned since they are not profit driven.

I am very sure at the time Lagos international Airport was established, it was for political reason, not economics. The economics came later.

Secondly, one of the major reasons why Lagos is thriving as a business center is the mayopic policies of Past Nigerian Governments which sought to avoid placing major infrastructure in the East post civil war. That is why Lagos port seems to be the only port when we have abundant coastline, cargoes wait upto a month to be cleared. The decline of Lagos started with the shift of the Capital by the North. So far Obasanjo policies tried to sustain its momentum by keeping other exits closed. But with this administration, the East is desperate for her own Economic Hub. Meaning that Lagos will certainly be cut to size as they withdraw their numbers gradually.

There is only one reason remaining why anybody from the east will want to travel through lagos. and that is VISA offices location. This is also the major reason why PH international airport is not as subscribed. But am sure we can establish liaison offices just same as those in Lagos, post shifting of capital city. Akanu Ibiam International Airport is viable both politically and economically.

11 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by kettykin: 11:17pm On Aug 09, 2013
Bulk of the traffic going to lagos and abuja for both international and local flights from November to February would be routed through enugu international airport. This would ordinary account for 3/7 of the flight in both cities.
Be rest assured that the growth curve of the airport would be a trajectory
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by PapaBrowne(m): 11:19pm On Aug 09, 2013
Yeah nice questions & analysis. But it is flawed because of bias.

While I agree that Per Capita income is one of the factors that determine Passenger traffic, there are other factors that also influence passenger traffic like commerce, govermental agreements, geography, etc. For instance, an economy that is more vested in import commerce is more likely to attract international passenger traffic than say an economy that is civil service oriented notwithstanding the PCI figures.

More than population, the factor that makes Lagos have a much higher passenger traffic figure than the rest of the country has a lot to the with the availability of airlines. There are more airlines with direct flights from Lagos than from other cities. If I have to fly direct to Dubai, I am more likely to settle for Emirates which flies only from Lagos even if I'm based in Abuja whose airport would have been more convenient for me.

Also Airlines choose their flight routes not primarily on business cases but on governmental factors that are represented in code-share agreements. If an airline is given 5 slots a week, it will make no sense for it to spread that slot across the country when it hasn't utilized it effectively in one location.

The potential Profitability of Enugu Airport is largely predicated on the willingness of airlines to utilize the route. No airline will be willing put to scarce slots on a route that is new and would take some getting used to garner passenger traffic. The only thing that can bring more airlines which in turn would increase passenger traffic is for the government to give incentives to airlines that choose to ply the route and that might just be what Ethopian Airline must have gotten.

The market potential for the airport is very huge given the amount of international commerce that happens in Nnewi, Aba and Onitsha. That alone is enough to generate profitability for the Enugu International Airport.

[size=14pt]The biggest discovery of the link you provided is that Enugu Airport alone carries more than 10 times the number of passengers all the 5 states of the south west carry combined. The 5 states of the south west( Oyo, Ondo, Ogun, Ondo and Ekiti) have two Airports. One in Ibadan and one in Akure. While Enugu airport did 32,000 passengers in the first half of 2012, Ibadan Airport did 3000 passengers and Akure Airport did 600 passengers in the same period.
[/size]
And this happened despite the fact that there are 7 other very functional airports less than 300km from Enugu in Owerri, PH, Uyo, Calabar, Benin, Warri, Asaba. The big question is more about why the south west airports are barely functional.

16 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nebeuwa(m): 11:20pm On Aug 09, 2013
The peak times to go to Igboland is during Christmas.

You can just see the mass exodus of Lagos, when Igbos return to their ancestral homeland.

Does "Yorubest" think that Igbos in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany and East Asia do not come home for Christmas?

The first international flights into Enugu will not be for commercial activities, it will be for Igbos who wish to travel directly to Igboland in order to go home.

2 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nebeuwa(m): 11:24pm On Aug 09, 2013
To put this issue to rest, how many people fly to Owerri and Enugu during peak season?

Does anyone have this information so that we can show the OP of his ignorance?
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by agbameta: 11:30pm On Aug 09, 2013
@ OP, with bogus facts like 50% of users of lagos airport originate from SE and other flawed chest beating utterances and many more wild and absurd claims coming your way, you are never going to win this argument even though you are on point...

2 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by kettykin: 11:40pm On Aug 09, 2013
This argument is like saying because very little cargo passes through onne and calabar port that ibaka deep sea port would not be profitable. The government and people of the east have a role to play to make the airport successful.
Looking at land/ road transport traffic, the fact that transportation from lagos to other parts of the country is the highest doesn't make road transport in the eastern states unprofitable., where it has been turned into a major economic sector employing millions and generating revenue. An indigenous airline floated by the eastern states with well defined routes to international destinations and virile tourism industry in the east would do a lot.

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by asha80(m): 11:45pm On Aug 09, 2013
op why not allow the foreign airlines that have decided to use that route make the decision whether it is profitable or not.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by musiwa1a: 12:01am On Aug 10, 2013
angry
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by musiwa1a: 12:05am On Aug 10, 2013
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by abagoro(m): 12:05am On Aug 10, 2013
PapaBrowne:

The market potential for the airport is very huge given the amount of international commerce that happens in Nnewi, Aba and Onitsha. That alone is enough to generate profitability for the Enugu International Airport.

Fact is that unless Nigeria is divided, the Enugu or Port Harcourt Airport will not achieve its full potential. Lagos has been a traditional gateway and is not the origin of at least 80% percent of passengers that fly through it. Even me that lives in Port Harcourt flies through Lagos and so does everyone around me.

Its like travelling from Enugu and Owerri to Buguma. Most passengers will likely board Port-Harcourt bound buses in Owerri and Enugu, then another from Port -Harcourt to Buguma.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reps To Probe Apc’s Alleged Hacking Of INEC Database / Robert Mugabe Tops As The Most Educated President In The World... / The Real Story Behind Abobaku (a Long Abolished Tradition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.