Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:04 AM

Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede (20857 Views)

Public Office Holders Cutting Salaries Are Hypocritical. - ELVIS SONNY / NASS N9bn Fallout: We’ll Reduce Our Salaries, Allowances – Saraki / Senator: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 15, 2013
Senator: Yes, Our Salaries are Outrageous

Amid the increasing criticism of the huge salaries and allowances of Nigeria's lawmakers, a senator (name withheld) has affirmed insinuations that their earnings are indeed outrageous.

The senator, who made this disclosure to THISDAY in Abuja, said he was of the utmost belief that his salary, along with those of his colleagues, is not justifiable.

The senator, who noted that the perceived outrageous salaries by senators were unnecessary plundering of the nation's resources, said rejecting the jumbo pay would be viewed as madness having found himself within the system.

Furthermore, the senator said the jumbo pay was part of the reason National Assembly's intervention in the ongoing strike by members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), which did not yield any fruitful result.

According to him, even though the demands of ASUU are highly provocative, unmerited and self-centred, members of the National Assembly Education Joint Committee lacked the effrontery to confront members of the union during recent meetings with them because of the consciousness of their seeming unmerited wages.

He said: "I believe what we earn is not justifiable. That is why ASUU is making unnecessary demands. I wonder why the federal government should reach an agreement with them on such demands. These are demands that are not made by lecturers anywhere in the world. If they are asking for well equipped libraries, laboratories or more conducive learning environment, it would have been understandable. But everything is about themselves.

"How can they be asking for extra pay because they have large classes? Is it not their responsibilities to teach whether a class is large or not? And in any case, who admitted the large class? But they are making these demands just because they know what we earn," he disclosed.

Also affirming this position, Senator Sola Akinyede, in a recent interview with THISDAY, said the executive should not only be blamed for high cost of governance, noting that the legislature also contributed largely to the problem. He added that the judiciary also has its own share of the blame.

Akinyede, who represented Ekiti South senatorial district in the Senate between 2007 and 2011, said he felt guilty having benefitted from such unjustifiable pay as a senator.

"High cost of governance does not only affect the executive, it also affects the legislature and the judiciary. I think what we should do is that heads of the three organs of government at every level along with leaderships of political parties should sit down and agree on how to reduce the cost of governance.

"Honestly, l think it's unfair. I'm also guilty of it because l benefitted from it as a senator. It's unfair for us elite to arrogate so much of the country's resources to ourselves and still expect economic development," Akinyede said.

Nigerian senators' salaries have been a subject of controversy since the inception of this democratic era. With alleged N2,484,245.50 as basic salary, a senator is alleged to be cruising home with a whopping N11 million as regular salaries and allowances and N27 million as quarterly allowances besides irregular allowances such as estacodes and duty tour allowances.

It was also alleged that the entire Senate leadership comprising 10 principal officers draw N1, 024,000,000 as quarterly allowance.

It was repeatedly published in local and foreign media that a Nigerian senator earns far higher than United States president, whose total salary per annum was $400,000. The situation is also the same in House of Representatives.

SOurce

1 Like

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Chynx(m): 7:36am On Aug 15, 2013
Hehehe. Na wah o.

1 Like

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 15, 2013
An earlier post I made on the same subject...

How can senators of the Federal Republic earn a miserly 12 million per head when their 'junior' counterparts withdraw 12 times this amount annually? RMAFC is being economical with the truth here.

Reps receive N146m yearly not N29m, says ex-lawmaker

Former member of the House of Representatives Bashir Idris Nadabo has said the total yearly salaries and allowances received by each lawmaker is N146 million and not N29 million as reported by Daily Trust last week.

The Daily Trust reported, quoting official documents, that a House member is entitled to N29 million yearly, making him among the highest paid globally.

But Nadabo, who was a member of the House in 2003-2007, said the lawmakers collect much more than this amount. He said each member receives a monthly salary of N1.2 million and quarterly allowances of N33 million, making a total of N146.4 million yearly.

“During our time 2003-2007, we were receiving about N280,000 monthly salary and N8 million quarterly allocations. It was at the last quarter of our tenure that the allocation was raised from N8 million to N14 million,” Nadabo told Daily Trust in Abuja.

“During our time former Speaker Aminu Bello Masari did not yield to pressure to collapse the allowances as some of them are not paid until needed and applied for. It was during former Speaker Bankole that they collapsed these monies and paid upfront even when there is no need for its usage by the lawmakers like attending to the health needs of their families or constituency members. I think this is why the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) laments that the lawmakers are paying themselves padded allowances,” said the former lawmaker from Katsina State.

Nadabo also said the purchase of cars for the lawmakers meant for committee duties was wrong since each of them receives car loans.

“The cars were allocated to each member despite being paid the car loans. The records of those the cars were allocated to are there in the National Assembly with the chassis numbers against the names of the legislators they were allocated to.

It is however disturbing to see some of the cars bought at over N8 million being sold at car stand especially in Abuja
and Kaduna at between N5 million to N6 million,” he added.

Source

1 Like

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 15, 2013
I will say this again: Senator Marafa played on the intelligence of Nigerians a few days ago when he deliberately inflated his salary while failing to mention all allocated allowances (which make up the larger proportion of his considerable wage packet).

GUSAU—Senator Kabir Marafa, representing Zamfara Central Zone, named by a national daily as one of the 24 Senators allegedly collecting N35 million as salaries monthly, has threatened to resign if it is proven that he actually collects such amount.

Source

1 Like

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by eightsin(m): 7:55am On Aug 15, 2013
The way you ppl are mentioning des monies maks me wanna mak dem as quickly as posibl.
To b bigman dey swt oo
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Tolexander: 8:00am On Aug 15, 2013
According to him, even though
the demands of ASUU are highly
provocative, unmerited and self-
centred, members of the National
Assembly Education Joint
Committee lacked the effrontery
to confront members of the
union during recent meetings
with them because of the
consciousness of their seeming
unmerited wages.

2 Likes

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Consent(m): 8:09am On Aug 15, 2013
The said senator is highly hypocritical or simply insulting our intelligence.if he knew their pay is outrageous,why d f~ck didnt he raise it on the floor of the house,and sponsor a bill to reduce the monumental waste? He enyoys the loot and comes out to fool himself.tell him we are no fools

11 Likes

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Lordave: 9:10am On Aug 15, 2013
I guess this sinator is really tired of money
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 15, 2013
Sometimes, I bury half my body in the garden soil and pretend I am a carrot, othertimes, I scream at the sight of a Nigerian senator shockedshockedshockedshocked

7 Likes

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by DICKtator: 9:11am On Aug 15, 2013
[quote author=Tolexander][/quote]

#DEEP

WORDS ON MARBLE!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Pedagogue: 9:11am On Aug 15, 2013
Did he say that when he was in d senate?

The answer is NO!

RUBBISH!!!

Our senators, ministers and President have no conscience whatsoever...they can afford to send their wards to ivy-league universities from the proceeds of their ill gotten wealth YET they do not care if the doors of our underfunded,mismanaged and deteriorating universities are eternally shut!!! angry lipsrsealed

If our polythecnics went on strike for months and the gates of our universities have been shut for months,is this the fresh air GEJ promised us?

2 Likes

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Afroconnect: 9:13am On Aug 15, 2013
The government have no money to ensure a minimum standard of education,yet a senator is paid 35million naira as remuneration packages,aside from the constituency allowances and juicy contracts they clinch.its shameful we allow such shallow,myopic and unscrupulous people to control our polity.
Nigerians need to be wise all these minister,governors and senators are fake,let us demand credible elections,a strong judiciary and a conscious military that will stand for the common good of the people.
This is the only way we can have a franchise and vote out all of these bad,evil lazy people that just siphon billions,do mediocre fictitious contracts and projects that will end when they leave office.disgusting bunch.

7 Likes

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 15, 2013
May the fire of gondor roast their balls while in sleep.
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 15, 2013
.kai see money ooooo
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by jonescyras(m): 9:14am On Aug 15, 2013
THiEF them..... Mtchewwwwww!.....
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by jonescyras(m): 9:14am On Aug 15, 2013
THiEF PEOPLE..... Mtchewwwwww!.....
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by kennyonthrone(m): 9:17am On Aug 15, 2013
In d'words of Akinyede"i felt guilty havin benefitted from such unjustifiable pay as a senator"

I no blame u u dn serve finish probably because u didnt win ur re-election datz y u talkin dis shit.Akinyede who is deceivin whho? Dis ma country is indeed a mystery nd one hell of Akpors joke

3 Likes

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by slap1(m): 9:17am On Aug 15, 2013
WHAT A GREAT STORY!
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by lamex20(m): 9:18am On Aug 15, 2013
NA dem Sabi... as long as I dey eat my 3 square meal... if dem lyk make dem begin eat money instead of spending... God dey sha

2 Likes

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Lordave: 9:18am On Aug 15, 2013
Consent: The said senator is highly hypocritical or simply insulting our intelligence.if he knew their pay is outrageous,why d f~ck didnt he raise it on the floor of the house,and sponsor a bill to reduce the monumental waste? He enyoys the loot and comes out to fool himself.tell him we are no fools
Tell him? Who should tell him, Yerima?

The truth is that We're fools already, for someone to be stealing with impunity and still has the guts to tell us in the face that he knows that what he's doing is wrong but cannot do anything about it, also means that we connot do anything about it too!

Don't forget that we're responsible for that position he is occupying.
But we're now powerless over him.

3 Likes

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 15, 2013
who is d Senator that's betraying us? we earn more that what you think!!
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by goddyjay(m): 9:19am On Aug 15, 2013
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 15, 2013
God you alone knows our bitter hearts in Nigeria. Help us since our leaders has chosen to help themself n generations unborn. Help us the masses, we r d Country, we are the needy.

2 Likes

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Tjohn1(m): 9:22am On Aug 15, 2013
Why didn't Senator Akinyede, raise this alarm between 2007 and 2011, when he was there as Senator?
Now that my Daddy is collecting his own share, he is opening his dirty mouth. cry
abeg, nor pour sand for my garri

1 Like

Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 15, 2013
The senator, who noted that the
perceived outrageous salaries by senators were unnecessary
plundering of the nation's
resources, said rejecting the
jumbo pay would be viewed as
madness having found himself
within the system

It wouldnt be viewed as madness Mr Senator, it would be percieved as a Shrewd Man making a statement of what Is right.

And to think there are no measures on ground to curtail the excesses makes ur sudden outburst a 'Silly' One.
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 9:23am On Aug 15, 2013
See the rubbish people are typing... like "." "R" all because post reach front page

goddyjay: .
Yungwizzzy: .
Ebig22: .
oh.dude:
R[b][/b]

I wish these moderators will allow every post to get to the second page before bringing it to the first page.
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by redsun(m): 9:23am On Aug 15, 2013
The monies they reap from nigeria in the name of wages and allowances for stealing and making favorable paedophilia laws is nothing but legitimate looting.
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by redbottles(m): 9:24am On Aug 15, 2013
 so he actually thinks we don't know this already....*chews bread*
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by skimarvel: 9:24am On Aug 15, 2013
Dem dey pluck am 4 tree..NAW SHOWS ASUU IS 4 SELF BENEFIT NT STUDENTS BENEFIT
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by CsmuneEy(f): 9:25am On Aug 15, 2013
at long last..a reasonable one
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 15, 2013
Hehehe. . . I didn't even read this before jumping into conclusion. If his salary is reduced now, he will complain. He's only saying this one cos of ASUU
Re: Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede by xynerise: 9:26am On Aug 15, 2013
I gave up long ago on our leaders. Thank God I dont depend on our government to survive.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kwara Assembly Bans Strip Clubs In Hotels / Osinbajo Will Have The Last Laugh - Tunde Bakare / Fatai Buhari Visits Tinubu In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.