Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,792 members, 7,837,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Beauty Is Over-rated. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Beauty Is Over-rated. (527 Views)

Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder .... How?? / Sometymes Beauty Is A Burden.......... / Love Is Not About Beauty Is About^^^^^^^ Click And See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beauty Is Over-rated. by Montero(m): 11:51am On Aug 15, 2013
what is beauty anyway? I had taken time in my art days to study what people meant when they spoke of 'beauty'. A beautiful car, a beautiful house, beautiful clothes, beautiful weather, etc. What do all these share in common to be qualified by the same verb, 'beauty'.
In my own words, "beauty is a general state of unconditional acceptance and desire of the human mind stimulated by perception (via the senses) of a stimulus (an object, sound, scent, feeling, etc.)". When you say something is beautiful it means you are ready to accept it readily/unconditionally.
Attraction on the other hand is the urge, push, affinity or force you feel for something you would accept readily. That is to say that anything that is beautiful is attractive but something attractive need not be necessarily beautiful. Similarly, something may be very beautiful without being very attractive; and something that is very attractive may not be necessarily very beautiful. And herein lies the Achilles heel of beauty; it works through the minds of the beholders in more than one way. Although, I deem it necessary to add, in most instances where people run after beauty, it is the attractiveness that is pulling them there. And in most cases where people labour to make themselves or a thing to be beautiful, they actually just want to make themselves/it attractive.
What then are the characteristics of anything that people qualify as being beautiful? The characteristics of beauty are:

1. It must be attractive to the beholder.
2. It must be scarce(not everyone/thing has it).
3. It must be difficult to maintain.
4. It must be controversial.
5. It must command attention anywhere it appears.
6. It must not be quantifiable(expressed in monetary or figurative terms).
7. It must have competitors.
8. It must be finite.
9. It must not be transferable.

However, attraction /attractiveness can acquire the characteristics of beauty without the need to be weighed down with these burdens. So next time, be sure to ask yourself which one you actually prefer or desire; Beauty or Attraction.
What do you think? Am I right or wrong?
Re: Beauty Is Over-rated. by Montero(m): 11:53am On Aug 15, 2013
what you say fellas?

(1) (Reply)

11 Relationship Truthsevery Woman Should Know / Is It Wrong To Have SEX On A First Date??? / Volcano In My Heart..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.