Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,710 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. (1539 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / How Prophet Christopher Owolabi Predicted The Leadership Of The 8th Nass / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Ymodulus: 5:18pm On Aug 19, 2013
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid.” - Christopher Hitchens

I love this piece.

The most potent study that highlights this for me is a study done by psychologist George Tamarin: He presented Joshua 6:20-21 to 1,066 school children, ages 8-14, in order to test "the effect of uncritical teaching of the Bible on the propensity for forming prejudices (particularly the notion of the 'chosen people,' the superiority of the monotheistic religion, and the study of acts of genocide by biblical heroes)." The children's answers to the question "Do you think

Joshua and the Israelites acted rightly or not?," were categorized as follows: "'A' means total approval, 'B' means partial approval or disapproval, and 'C' means total disapproval." Across a broad spectrum of Israeli social and economic classes, 66% chose "A," 8% "B," and 26% "C."

In contrast to the established difference between boys and girls in propensity toward violence and approval of violence in general, with regard to biblically commanded genocide Tamarin found that "Contrary to our expectation, there was no difference, concerning this most cruel form of prejudice, between male and female examinees".

As a control group, Tamarin tested 168 children who were read Joshua 6:20-21 with "General Lin" substituted for Joshua and a "Chinese Kingdom 3000 years ago" substituted for Israel. General Lin got a 7% approval rating, with 18% giving partial approval or disapproval, and 75% disapproving totally.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/1kmvwu/we_keep_on_being_told_that_religion_whatever_its/

1 Like

Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by AlfaB: 5:37pm On Aug 19, 2013
ways of doG are not ways of men
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Ymodulus: 5:47pm On Aug 19, 2013
Alfa-B:
ways of doG are not ways of men

you got me laughing there!!!!!!!!

Religion the greatest delusion ever
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by UyiIredia(m): 8:18pm On Aug 19, 2013
There was a method to my madness on the 'Atheism Is A Religion' thread. I searched the root word for religion and noted its meaning 'to bind'. I asserted how atheists are bound to a belief and made a wild extrapolation to it being a religion. Now, atheists have their morality, the moment they, in fact, what ideals they leave by and hold much crucial, I submit to you the have told their religare.

Looking at it critically one notes that given morality as good, in the context of his statement quoted in the OP, Hitchens' quote is easily shown false if he agrees with (and he does) with certain morals asserted by Christianity: not to mention that whatever can instill immorality can instill morality if desired.
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 19, 2013
Ymodulus: "We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid.” - Christopher Hitchens

I love this piece.

The most potent study that highlights this for me is a study done by psychologist George Tamarin: He presented Joshua 6:20-21 to 1,066 school children, ages 8-14, in order to test "the effect of uncritical teaching of the Bible on the propensity for forming prejudices (particularly the notion of the 'chosen people,' the superiority of the monotheistic religion, and the study of acts of genocide by biblical heroes)." The children's answers to the question "Do you think

Joshua and the Israelites acted rightly or not?," were categorized as follows: "'A' means total approval, 'B' means partial approval or disapproval, and 'C' means total disapproval." Across a broad spectrum of Israeli social and economic classes, 66% chose "A," 8% "B," and 26% "C."

In contrast to the established difference between boys and girls in propensity toward violence and approval of violence in general, with regard to biblically commanded genocide Tamarin found that "Contrary to our expectation, there was no difference, concerning this most cruel form of prejudice, between male and female examinees".

As a control group, Tamarin tested 168 children who were read Joshua 6:20-21 with "General Lin" substituted for Joshua and a "Chinese Kingdom 3000 years ago" substituted for Israel. General Lin got a 7% approval rating, with 18% giving partial approval or disapproval, and 75% disapproving totally.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/1kmvwu/we_keep_on_being_told_that_religion_whatever_its/

I just read this for nothing. I thought it was your 'baby' but sadly it is not, hence no need to go into any argument.
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 19, 2013
striktlymi:

I just read this for nothing. I thought it was your 'baby' but sadly it is not, hence no need to go into any argument.
hello. I sent u a pm
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 19, 2013
Larai Boluwaji:
hello. I sent u a pm

Okay! I will respond using strikystriktlymi@yahoo.com

Edit: Sent you a message.
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Okay! I will respond using strikystriktlymi@yahoo.com

Edit: Sent you a message.
replied

edit: it is failing delivery.it keeps bouncing back
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2013
Larai Boluwaji:
replied

Didn't see the thread.
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Didn't see the thread.
okay lemme send u d link
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 19, 2013
Larai Boluwaji:
okay lemme send u d link

Okay!

#Modulus sorry!
Re: Religion Does Not Instill Morality. --- Christopher Hitchens. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Okay!

#Modulus sorry!
sent it

(1) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between Living By Faith And Living By Sight? / What Pastor Adeboye Told Eunice Elisha’s Husband, Children / Names Of Funny Churches In Nigeria....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.