Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,425 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers (10180 Views)

Wike Swears-in Acting Chief-judge, Daisy Okocha / Amaechi Swears-in 22 New Elected Council Chairmen / Olufemi A. Akingbade Appointed As NHIS Acting Chief Executive Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 20, 2013
GOVERNOR Chibuike Amaechi has sworn in Hon Justice Peter N.C. Agumagu as the new Acting Chief judge of Rivers state.

At a brief ceremony in Government House, Port Harcourt, the governor charged the new acting Chief Judge to discharge his duties conscientiously just as he congratulated him.

Justice Agumagu was the President of the customary court of Appeal, Rivers state before his new appointment.

He was sworn in Tuesday after the former Chief Judge of the State, Hon. Justice Iche Ndu, retired from service.

Amaechi said the new Acting Chief Judge shall hold his office pending when the National Assembly would approve the candidate recommended for appointment as the State Chief Judge by the National Judicial Commission (NJC).

”Let me congratulate you on your appointment.  I sat through the week with the Attorney General to review the appointment and we looked at the constitution and the constitution says the most senior Judge of the High Court and we looked at your appointment as a Judge of the High Court and compared it to the rest of the judges in the state and realized that you are the most senior judge of the high court of Rivers State.  We therefore took that decision to proceed with the appointment.

“I wish to congratulate you and say to you that you have an enormous assignment in these three months. We are proceeding with that while waiting for the resumption of the National Assembly and hoping that if they do approve the recommendation of the National Judicial Commission (NJC) we will then proceed with that and we hope that within the three months you are acting, you will discharge your responsibility.  Thank you very much and God bless you”, Amaechi said.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/amaechi-swears-in-new-acting-chief-judge-for-rivers/
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 2:49pm On Aug 20, 2013
Good decision.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Lushgreen: 6:59pm On Aug 20, 2013
Demdem: Good decision.

What is good about the decision?

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 10:30pm On Aug 20, 2013
Lushgreen:

Everything.

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by taharqa: 8:09am On Aug 21, 2013
Demdem:

Everything.
You no dey shame at all??

4 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Lushgreen: 8:51am On Aug 21, 2013
Demdem:

Everything.

Does Amaechi's action comply with the relevants legal provisions on the appointment of an acting CJ?
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by duality(m): 10:15am On Aug 21, 2013
If I don't hear form the NJC in 7 days about this issue, then It will be most unfortunate. Where are the civil societies of this country? they all have lost focus because if 2015 and GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Samxiulee: 11:00am On Aug 21, 2013
duality: If I don't hear form the NJC in 7 days about this issue, then It will be most unfortunate. Where are the civil societies of this country? they all have lost focus because if 2015 and GEJ.
can you enlightened us with the problem?what are you driving @?

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 11:29am On Aug 21, 2013
taharqa: You no dey shame at all??

Why are u this daft?

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 11:37am On Aug 21, 2013
Lushgreen:

Does Amaechi's action comply with the relevants legal provisions on the appointment of an acting CJ?

Did u read the opening post at all. Amaechi referred to the constitution so in response to ur question, yes it does.
Go get a court declaration if u think otherwise.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 22, 2013
Demdem:

Did u read the opening post at all. Amaechi referred to the constitution so in response to ur question, yes it does.
GBAM!
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
Ok.....am waiting for AHON to come and comment
"Amaechi Haters On Nairaland"

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Fazhy: 1:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
duality: If I don't hear form the NJC in 7 days about this issue, then It will be most unfortunate. Where are the civil societies of this country? they all have lost focus because if 2015 and GEJ.

That is more than enough distraction.

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by ABUGEORGE(m): 1:34pm On Aug 22, 2013
Ameachi has won again, in has much as dey criticise dis ameachi govt i still like him cos he stand for d truth and his right
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by sainty2k3(m): 1:35pm On Aug 22, 2013
Waiting for anti - amaechi and pro-amaechi Nairalander to flood the thread, I know they'll soon come.

*why can't we just reason straight and make reasonable contributions without sentiment or bias*#just thinking
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by AdexAbbey(m): 1:37pm On Aug 22, 2013
Na dem sabi.... #SIPPING my ALOMO#
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by politicalpastor: 1:40pm On Aug 22, 2013
watin him dey act. him dey act movie or Jackie shane.
make them go sitdown.

spiritfada: GOVERNOR Chibuike Amaechi has sworn in Hon Justice Peter N.C. Agumagu as the new Acting Chief judge of Rivers state.

At a brief ceremony in Government House, Port Harcourt, the governor charged the new acting Chief Judge to discharge his duties conscientiously just as he congratulated him.

Justice Agumagu was the President of the customary court of Appeal, Rivers state before his new appointment.

He was sworn in Tuesday after the former Chief Judge of the State, Hon. Justice Iche Ndu, retired from service.

Amaechi said the new Acting Chief Judge shall hold his office pending when the National Assembly would approve the candidate recommended for appointment as the State Chief Judge by the National Judicial Commission (NJC).

”Let me congratulate you on your appointment.  I sat through the week with the Attorney General to review the appointment and we looked at the constitution and the constitution says the most senior Judge of the High Court and we looked at your appointment as a Judge of the High Court and compared it to the rest of the judges in the state and realized that you are the most senior judge of the high court of Rivers State.  We therefore took that decision to proceed with the appointment.

“I wish to congratulate you and say to you that you have an enormous assignment in these three months. We are proceeding with that while waiting for the resumption of the National Assembly and hoping that if they do approve the recommendation of the National Judicial Commission (NJC) we will then proceed with that and we hope that within the three months you are acting, you will discharge your responsibility.  Thank you very much and God bless you”, Amaechi said.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/amaechi-swears-in-new-acting-chief-judge-for-rivers/
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by ubong560(m): 1:44pm On Aug 22, 2013
Lushgreen:

It's either the decision is good or the good is the decison so far, amaechi can use him for his own political interest.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 22, 2013
ok na, on to the next issue
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Drsheddy(m): 1:50pm On Aug 22, 2013
OK
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by glen87: 1:53pm On Aug 22, 2013
Amaech is one man I've seen the in the whole country that quarels with all his important kinsmen. I feel sorry for him

4 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Lushgreen: 1:55pm On Aug 22, 2013
Demdem:

Is there any difference between the customary court and the high court?
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Whyte01: 1:55pm On Aug 22, 2013
Politrick.aguma is nt d oldest o.is daisy okocha that suppose to be d new chief judge,wen wil people think about otherz intrest ah.amaechi u did nt do well in dis part all.i wil kp speaking d truth.haterz go nd die.amaechi is wrong.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by diresimdi(m): 2:01pm On Aug 22, 2013
why is amaechi very keen at swearing in this man? i learnt he isnt the right person. nawaooo! because of personal intetest. we are watching naa.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by bigbablo(m): 2:07pm On Aug 22, 2013
http://www.riversstate.gov.ng/government/judiciary.html

diresimdi: why is amaechi very keen at swearing in this man? i learnt he isnt the right person. nawaooo! because of personal intetest. we are watching naa.

Whyte01: Politrick.aguma is nt d oldest o.is daisy okocha that suppose to be d new chief judge,wen wil people think about otherz intrest ah.amaechi u did nt do well in dis part all.i wil kp speaking d truth.haterz go nd die.amaechi is wrong.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by karpentar: 2:23pm On Aug 22, 2013
diresimdi: why is amaechi very keen at swearing in this man? i learnt he isnt the right person. nawaooo! because of personal intetest. we are watching naa.

Tell me who doesn't act out of personal interest? Una take police from him and you want him to leave judiciary for una. Useless abuja and okirika people. Amaechi for President in 2015. GEJ is of no use to the Niger delta.....ordinary east west road, he can't fix.

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by chucky234(m): 2:35pm On Aug 22, 2013
Lushgreen:

Is there any difference between the customary court and the high court?
Ah ah thought you know the difference na
imagine a certificated chronic goon forming baale on judiciary sha
ITK go kill you
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 22, 2013
LIST OF HIGH COURT AND CUSTOMARY COURT OF APPEAL JUDGES IN RIVERS STATE

Hon. Justice Iche N. Ndu, KSC, OFR. Chief Judge, Rivers State.
Hon. Justice PeterN.C. Agumagu, KSM. President, Customary Court Of Appeal, Rivers State.
Hon. Justice Daisy W. Okocha High Court, PH
Hon. Justice Obie O. Daniel-Kalio High Court, PH
Hon. Justice C.I. Uriri High Court, PH
Hon. Justice I.A. Iyayi-Lamikanra High Court, Bori
Hon. Justice B. E.Ugbari High Court, PH
Hon. Justice Joy N. Akpughunum High Court, Nchia
Hon. Justice S.O. Iragunima High Court, PH
10. Hon. Justice S.C. Amadi High Court, PH

11. Hon. Justice E. Teetito High Court, PH

12. Hon. Justice B.G. Diepiri High Court, PH

13. Hon. Justice E.N. Ogbuji High Court, PH

14. Hon. Justice B. A. Georgewill High Court, PH

15. Hon. Justice J.M. Kobani High Court, Oyigbo

16. Hon. Justice W.A. Chechey High Court, PH

17. Hon. Justice C.A. Okirie High Court, PH

18. Hon. Justice T.S. Oji High Court, PH

19. Hon. Justice A. W. Jumbo High court, PH

20. Hon. Justice E. N. Thomson High Court, Isiokpo

21. Hon. Justice Adolphus Enebeli High Court , Degema

22. Hon. Justice R.I. Ahiakwo High Court, PH

23. Hon. Justice S. H. Aprioku High Court, PH

24. Hon. Justice M. O. Opara High Court Okrika (Sitting in PH)

25. Hon. Justice George O. Omereji High Court, Ahoada

26. Hon. Justice G.C. Aguma High Court, Omoku

27. Hon. Justice L. L. Nyordee High Court, Okehi

28. Hon. Justice M. W. Danagogo High Court, Bori

29. Hon. Justice G. T. Irikefe- Ojo Customary Court Of Appeal, Rivers State

30. Hon. Justice Christiana I. Gabriel-Nwankwo Customary Court Of Appeal, Rivers State

31. Hon. Justice I. W. Obuzor Customary Court Of Appeal, Rivers State

32. Mr. Sobere Biambo High Court (newly appointed)

33. Mr. Igwe Paul Chigozi Igwe High Court (newly appointed)

34. Mrs. Ibiwengi Roseline Minakiri High Court (newly appointed)

35. Mrs. Harriba Judith Dagogo-Jack High Court (newly appointed)

36. Mrs. Cresent Kiri Dappa-Addo High Court (newly appointed)

37. Mrs. Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom-Wike High Court (newly appointed)

LIST OF MAGISTRATES IN THE RIVERS STATE

C.N .Wali, Esq . Chief Registrar, H/Ct.
D.J. stephens, Esq. Ag. Chief, CCA
K. B Gaage (Mrs) Secretary, JSC
L .k. Adoki, Esq. Deputy Chief Reg. (Admin) H/Ct.
H. J Dagogo-Jack (Mrs.) Deputy Chief Reg. (Lit.) H/Ct.
J. M. J. Elenwo Esq. Deputy Chief Reg. (Admin) CCA
Mrs. R. N. Ibanibo Deputy Chief Reg. (Lit.) CCA
Kariba Braide Esq. Chief Magistrate
A. A. Ebe, Esq. Chief Magistrate
10. B. M. F. Jamabo, Esq. Chief Magistrate

11. Promise Iroanya, Esq. Chief Magistrate

12. Z. O. Alikor (Mrs.) Chief Magistrate

13. V.C. Ugoji, Esq. Chief Magistrate

14. E. C. Woke, Esq. Chief Magistrate

15. Mercy Chinwah (Mrs.) Chief Magistrate

16. C. I. Dappe-Addo (Mrs.) Chief Magistrate

17. F. N. Amanze (Mrs.) Chief Magistrate

18. O. R .Alaiyi George (Mrs.) Chief Magistrate

19. B. G. Macfarlene, Esq. Chief Magistrate

20. M.O. Chuku, Esq. Chief Magistrate

21. Ipalibo F. Iyobo, Esq. Chief Magistrate

22. Ibiere John (Mrs.) Chief Magistrate

23. V.I. Kobani Buzugbe, Esq. Chief Magistrate

24. H. I. Osanakpo (Mrs). Chief Magistrate

25. Sir S. D. Andrew-Jaja Esq. Chief Magistrate

26. Chinda R. S. Wobo-Adele Chief Magistrate

27. Amobi Davidson, Esq. Chief Magistrate

28. IIanye D. Brown Esq. Chief Magistrate

29. I. O. Agbessor, Esq. Chief Magistrate

30. Nimi D. Graham-Douglas, Esq. Chief Magistrate

31. O. A.Amadi-Nna. Esq. Chief Magistrate

32. Odiki Daniel- Kalio. Chief Magistrate

33. Blessing Vic-Jumbo Esq. Chief Magistrate

34. Daisy. N. Wanjoku - Esq Senior Magistrate

35. Alatuwo E. Fubara, Esq Senior Magistrate

36. Justice O. Amadi Esq Senior Magistrate

37. Helen Hardy Esq. Senior Magistrate

38. Esther. A. Okere Esq. Senior Magistrate

39. O. Harry Ayerite Esq. Senior Magistrate

40. Vivienne U. Erekosima Senior Magistrate

41. Collins G. Ali Esq. Senior Magistrate

42. Betty Sunny – Hart (Mrs) Senior Magistrate

43. V. E. Nweke Esq Senior Magistrate

44. Abel. I Sunday Esq. Senior Magistrate

45. John K. Enyindah Esq. Senior Magistrate

46. Lawrence Ishikaku Esq. Senior Magistrate

47. Menenen F. Poromon Esq. Senior Magistrate

48. A. I. Inko- Tariah Esq. Senior Magistrate

49. Rita C. Oguguo (Mrs) Senior Magistrate

50. Lenu S. Baridam Esq. Senior Magistrate

51. David. D Ihua Maduenyi Esq Senior Magistrate

52. Anthony I. G. Bobmanuel Esq Senior Magistrate

53. Kilsi Giadom Esq Senior Magistrate

54. Gift C. Amadi Esq Senior Magistrate

55. Chanya Gomba –Osaro Esq. Magistrate 1

56. Chituru Joy Oreh (Mrs) Magistrate 1

57. Baiyaah H. Abe (Mrs) Magistrate 1

58. Nnee N. Nornu Esq Magistrate 1

59. Ejike K. George Esq Magistrate 1

60. Chinagorom Mgbamoka Esq Magistrate 1

61. Ogeh E. Elkanah Esq Magistrate 11

62. Chimenem B. Okekem Magistrate 11

Okobuokechi N. Atako Esq. Magistrate 11
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by practitioner(m): 2:50pm On Aug 22, 2013
Section 271(4) of d 1999 constitution,which is applicable here provides as follows" if d office of d chief judge of a state is vacant or if d person holding d office is for any reason unable to perform d functions of d office, then until a person has been appointed to and has assumed the function of that office or until the person holdings d office has resumed those functions,the Governor of d state shall appoint the most senior judge of d High court to perform those functions".Going by d report, d Governor appointed d president of d customary court of appeal as d most senior judge, but d constitution provides that d appointee shall be d most senior judge of the HIGH COURT.Justice Agumagu not being a judge of d high court, is not qualified constitutionally for d appointment. To that extent,Governor Amechi got it wrong.

7 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by joeace2020(m): 2:56pm On Aug 22, 2013
practitioner: Section 271(4) of d 1999 constitution,which is applicable here provides as follows" if d office of d chief judge of a state is vacant or if d person holding d office is for any reason unable to perform d functions of d office, then until a person has been appointed to and has assumed the function of that office or until the person holdings d office has resumed those functions,the Governor of d state shall appoint the most senior judge of d High court to perform those functions".Going by d report, d Governor appointed d president of d customary court of appeal as d most senior judge, but d constitution provides that d appointee shall be d most senior judge of the HIGH COURT.Justice Agumagu not being a judge of d high court, is not qualified constitutionally for d appointment. To that extent,Governor Amechi got it wrong.

We Nigerians are a terrible lot....a sitting Governor who knows not the constitution... An appointed judge dat doesnt know d constitution....corruption is a disease

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 22, 2013
na my church man be that o! congrats sir! i will join you on sunday for thanksgiving. Corpus Christi......in Christ we are one!
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by taharqa: 3:17pm On Aug 22, 2013
practitioner: Section 271(4) of d 1999 constitution,which is applicable here provides as follows" if d office of d chief judge of a state is vacant or if d person holding d office is for any reason unable to perform d functions of d office, then until a person has been appointed to and has assumed the function of that office or until the person holdings d office has resumed those functions,the Governor of d state shall appoint the most senior judge of d High court to perform those functions".Going by d report, d Governor appointed d president of d customary court of appeal as d most senior judge, but d constitution provides that d appointee shall be d most senior judge of the HIGH COURT.Justice Agumagu not being a judge of d high court, is not qualified constitutionally for d appointment. To that extent,Governor Amechi got it wrong.
That is it...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

[video and PICTURES] Giant Snake Found In Lagos Nigeria Flood / It Seems Halima Buhari Failed The Last Bar Exam / Petrol Price Hike Only After Negotiation With Labour — NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.