Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,384 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers (10191 Views)

Wike Swears-in Acting Chief-judge, Daisy Okocha / Amaechi Swears-in 22 New Elected Council Chairmen / Olufemi A. Akingbade Appointed As NHIS Acting Chief Executive Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:35pm On Aug 22, 2013
practitioner: Section 271(4) of d 1999 constitution,which is applicable here provides as follows" if d office of d chief judge of a state is vacant or if d person holding d office is for any reason unable to perform d functions of d office, then until a person has been appointed to and has assumed the function of that office or until the person holdings d office has resumed those functions,the Governor of d state shall appoint the most senior judge of d High court to perform those functions".Going by d report, d Governor appointed d president of d customary court of appeal as d most senior judge, but d constitution provides that d appointee shall be d most senior judge of the HIGH COURT.Justice Agumagu not being a judge of d high court, is not qualified constitutionally for d appointment. To that extent,Governor Amechi got it wrong.

taharqa: That is it...

ARE YOU AWARE THAT IT IS THE [size=18pt]NATIONAL[/size] JUDICIAL COUNCIL THAT RECOMMENDS A CANDIDATE TO THE GOVERNOR AND THAT CHOICE IS RATIFIED BY THE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY (NOW THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY IN RIVERS CASE)?
Section 281(1) Constitution 2004 FRN

are u also aware this man's name has been forwarded to the national assembly for ratification?

Are you aware of the qualifications prescribed the the Rivers State Laws for Customary Court Judges? Per s281(3)
You should be able to verify that the man does not qualify under that too before dishing out your "opinions"

I know some states specifically require the President of the Customary Court to be a High Court Judge at the time of appointment.

It may well be that this man is of the same cadre as the high court judges and probably got his earlier appointment because he was the most senior judge following the former CJ of the state.

So is this really a case of "Amaechi" choosing the wrong person??

PDP arselickers sha........ LEARNED IGNORANCE

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Bensonite: 3:41pm On Aug 22, 2013
Whyte01: Politrick.aguma is nt d oldest o.is daisy okocha that suppose to be d new chief judge,wen wil people think about otherz intrest ah.amaechi u did nt do well in dis part all.i wil kp speaking d truth.haterz go nd die.amaechi is wrong.
The retiring Chief Judge was not the oldest(most senior) at the time he was appointed. Against all criticism, Odili went ahead to appoint him leaving the most senior Justice Mrs Membere to her surprise. I think the laws have been amended allowing the NJC to make the recommendations based on seniority in the high court to the Governor after which the state assembly confirms the person. The major challenge now is the assembly is not sitting due to macing et al and the national assembly may take a longer time too when they do thereby creating a gap in the system. Since there cant be a gap, Amaechi seems to be taking advantage of a loophole in the law to appoint his favorite as interim.
Justice Agumagu is of the customary court of appeal which has alternate jurisdiction with the state high court so another argument may arise from there.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Bushdiri(m): 4:25pm On Aug 22, 2013
practitioner: Section 271(4) of d 1999 constitution,which is applicable here provides as follows" if d office of d chief judge of a state is vacant or if d person holding d office is for any reason unable to perform d functions of d office, then until a person has been appointed to and has assumed the function of that office or until the person holdings d office has resumed those functions,the Governor of d state shall appoint the most senior judge of d High court to perform those functions".Going by d report, d Governor appointed d president of d customary court of appeal as d most senior judge, but d constitution provides that d appointee shall be d most senior judge of the HIGH COURT.Justice Agumagu not being a judge of d high court, is not qualified constitutionally for d appointment. To that extent,Governor Amechi got it wrong.
l
You will live longer than your enemies, tell them, Bob Marley said THEY KNOW IT BUT THEY CAN'T DO IT, that just the truth.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by babaniyen1(m): 5:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
Hon. Justice Daisy Okocha is the person for that seat. They should stop playing politics with the judiciary. This is really preposterous. Its is clear that she is the most senior judge of the High Court. I use to respect Amaechi before, but I am beginning to loose my respect for him. He should remember he came in through the judiciary and if the judges of the supreme court were compromised, he would never get to that place he is today.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by taharqa: 5:33pm On Aug 22, 2013
4llerbuntu:

ARE YOU AWARE THAT IT IS THE [size=18pt]NATIONAL[/size] JUDICIAL COUNCIL THAT RECOMMENDS A CANDIDATE TO THE GOVERNOR AND THAT CHOICE IS RATIFIED BY THE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY (NOW THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY IN RIVERS CASE)?

are u also aware this man's name has been forwarded to the national assembly for ratification?

Are you aware of the qualifications prescribed the the Rivers State Laws for Customary Court Judges? Per s281(3)
You should be able to verify that the man does not qualify under that too before dishing out your "opinions"

I know some states specifically require the President of the Customary Court to be a High Court Judge at the time of appointment.

It may well be that this man is of the same cadre as the high court judges and probably got his earlier appointment because he was the most senior judge following the former CJ of the state.

SHUT ya mouth, you IGNORAMUS. You no dey fear to dey quote me with yr empty head?? Both d NJC and d Rivers State Judicial Commission already approved the name of Justice Okocha as d 'oldest judge in d State HIGH COURT' and hv recommended same to Ameachi. Plus, NO STATE ASSEMBLY can appoint a Chief Judge from d Customary Court cos d Constitution in Section 271(4) is very clear on who the Gov can appoint as Acting Judge- the Oldest Judge in d State HIGH COURT. There was No Ambiquity in that section, which made a clear distinction bw a State High Court and its Customary Court of Appeal; and d Constitution is binding on ALL authorities without Nigeria.... Stop allowing yr heart rule you; use yr head at times...

5 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by eldoradoxx: 5:35pm On Aug 22, 2013
spongeback: Ok.....am waiting for AHON to come and comment
"Amaechi Haters On Nairaland"
It is not about Amechi Haters, but that Amechi Likers have failed to remove sentiment in looking at this issue critically. I am aware that in appointment of a Chief Judge of any court whether Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, Federal High Court or State High Cours the most singular important consideration is seniority. The most senior judge on the bench (not chronological age) is sworn in immediately either as substanive CJ or sworn in as Acting CJ when ever a vaccume exists in the position of Head of the particular court. This is so in other to insulate the appointment of CJ from political preference of the Governor or President. That is why 3 different bodies have hands in who becomes CJ. The most powerful being NJC. The Governor nominates the most senior judge wheher he likes the person or not (infact he is bound by the constitution to so do), NJC ratifies the nomination. And the House of Assembly in case of State CJ or Senate in case of Federal Court approve the appointment. Their approval is a matter of course. No body whose appointmentt has been ratified by NJC has ever rejected by theLegislaure. Thiis is due to the fact that a person who is worthy of being a judge cannot be said not to be worthy of heading the judiciary. In Amechi's case, the constitution says "The most senior judge of the HIGH COURT". Amechi himself alluded to this fact. Now tell me if the title "President of Customary Court of Appeal" of River state sounds the same as " Judge of the High Court Rivers state" ? Admitted, a judge of high Court of a state ranks equal with the president of customary court of Appeal in same way President of Court of Appeal ranks equal to a jusice of supreme court, but does the fact of their ranking make them the same.? President of Customary Court of Appeal is already the head of his own Court which is Customary Cour of Appeal and does not need to metamorphose into a High Court judge and to exercise the jurisdiction he has not. Every action he will take as a CJ of Rivers state would be null and void and ulra vires because there is surely a difference beween paracetamol and panadol evenhough they serve similar purpose. I definiely know that the NJC will rise up to this and protect the judiciary from poliical vultures. Justice Daisy Okocha remains the recognised CJ in waiting of Rivers state and I trust Justice Alomo Mariam Mukhtar CJN to deal ruthlessly with tha impostor tha was sworn in by Amechi. He would as well wave good bye to his career as a judge. I guess he must have been summoned to Abuja to be grilled by NJC. That is the beauty of the legal profession, you are checked by team of eminent collegues

3 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 5:37pm On Aug 22, 2013
Lushgreen:

Is there any difference between the customary court and the high court?

Both are under the same Rivers state Judiciary and Amaechi decided to choose the most senior Judge. If u have issues with this, go to court.
NJC simply made a recommendation and just like the way retardeen ignored their recommendation as regards salami recall, so also Amaechi decides to ignore this.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 22, 2013
eldoradoxx: It is not about Amechi Haters, but that Amechi Likers have failed to remove sentiment in looking at this issue critically. I am aware that in appointment of a Chief Judge of any court whether Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, Federal High Court or State High Cours the most singular important consideration is seniority. The most senior judge on the bench (not chronological age) is sworn in immediately either as substanive CJ or sworn in as Acting CJ when ever a vaccume exists in the position of Head of the particular court. This is so in other to insulate the appointment of CJ from political preference of the Governor or President. That is why 3 different bodies have hands in who becomes CJ. The most powerful being NJC. The Governor nominates the most senior judge wheher he likes the person or not (infact he is bound by the constitution to so do), NJC ratifies the nomination. And the House of Assembly in case of State CJ or Senate in case of Federal Court approve the appointment. Their approval is a matter of course. No body whose appointmentt has been ratified by NJC has ever rejected by theLegislaure. Thiis is due to the fact that a person who is worthy of being a judge cannot be said not to be worthy of heading the judiciary. In Amechi's case, the constitution says "The most senior judge of the HIGH COURT". Amechi himself alluded to this fact. Now tell me if the title "President of Customary Court of Appeal" of River state sounds the same as " Judge of the High Court Rivers state" ? Admitted, a judge of high Court of a state ranks equal with the president of customary court of Appeal in same way President of Court of Appeal ranks equal to a jusice of supreme court, but does the fact of their ranking make them the same.? President of Customary Court of Appeal is already the head of his own Court which is Customary Cour of Appeal and does not need to metamorphose into a High Court judge and to exercise the jurisdiction he has not. Every action he will take as a CJ of Rivers state would be null and void and ulra vires because there is surely a difference beween paracetamol and panadol evenhough they serve similar purpose. I definiely know that the NJC will rise up to this and protect the judiciary from poliical vultures. Justice Daisy Okocha remains the recognised CJ in waiting of Rivers state and I trust Justice Alomo Mariam Mukhtar CJN to deal ruthlessly with tha impostor tha was sworn in by Amechi. He would as well wave good bye to his career as a judge. I guess he must have been summoned to Abuja to be grilled by NJC. That is the beauty of the legal profession, you are checked by team of eminent collegues
embarassed
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by redsun(m): 5:41pm On Aug 22, 2013
Kai!I saw the ceremony on tv,those judges look like dressed up chimps with those oyinbo wigs and gowns in that sweltering heat.It as if they forced those apparels on them,very out of place and copycatting.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by practitioner(m): 5:45pm On Aug 22, 2013
4llerbuntu:

I took d pain of quoting d relevant section of d 1999 constitution in order to save people from reading incoherent and misleading arguments like yours ,with due respect. And to even think that u went to d extent of throwing insult around is surprising. First of all of all,there is nothing like 2004 constitution as erroneously cited.We only ve d 1999 constitution,and d various amendment. Also,d section u cited,section 281,deals with appointment of customary court of appeal president, which is not applicable here since we are talking of appointment of a chief judge of a state.Thirdly,d issue of recommendation by d NJC does not come in here since its an acting chief judge that is being appointed and no:t a substantive chief judge, in which case it would be on d recommendation of d NJC. Let me refer u to section 271(1) of d 1999 constitution FRN.Also its not abt appointment of customary court judge but d chief judge of a state(in dis case acting).I will advise you to go through d article again,pick up a d 1999 constitution(not 2004 dis time around) and take ur time to read nd understand before coming out to expose ur ignorance and insult people.

4 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 5:45pm On Aug 22, 2013
4llerbuntu:

That Amaechis appointed judge is the most senior in rivers judiciary is not in doubt, the bone of contention is if the appeal customary court can be regarded as high court.
This is something the courts has to decide on. Kudos to Amaechi for bringing this issue to fore.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 5:48pm On Aug 22, 2013
Bensonite:
The retiring Chief Judge was not the oldest(most senior) at the time he was appointed. Against all criticism, Odili went ahead to appoint him leaving the most senior Justice Mrs Membere to her surprise. I think the laws have been amended allowing the NJC to make the recommendations based on seniority in the high court to the Governor after which the state assembly confirms the person. The major challenge now is the assembly is not sitting due to macing et al and the national assembly may take a longer time too when they do thereby creating a gap in the system. Since there cant be a gap, Amaechi seems to be taking advantage of a loophole in the law to appoint his favorite as interim.
Justice Agumagu is of the customary court of appeal which has alternate jurisdiction with the state high court so another argument may arise from there.

Emphasis on alternate jurisdiction with the state high court.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Reference(m): 6:13pm On Aug 22, 2013
They screw up the system and tomorrow whine that the toilets don't flush.

He will be a victim of his poor decision making very soon. Nobody does what is right.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by practitioner(m): 6:34pm On Aug 22, 2013
eldoradoxx: It is not about Amechi Haters, but that Amechi Likers have failed to remove sentiment in looking at this issue critically. I am aware that in appointment of a Chief Judge of any court whether Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, Federal High Court or State High Cours the most singular important consideration is seniority. The most senior judge on the bench (not chronological age) is sworn in immediately either as substanive CJ or sworn in as Acting CJ when ever a vaccume exists in the position of Head of the particular court. This is so in other to insulate the appointment of CJ from political preference of the Governor or President. That is why 3 different bodies have hands in who becomes CJ. The most powerful being NJC. The Governor nominates the most senior judge wheher he likes the person or not (infact he is bound by the constitution to so do), NJC ratifies the nomination. And the House of Assembly in case of State CJ or Senate in case of Federal Court approve the appointment. Their approval is a matter of course. No body whose appointmentt has been ratified by NJC has ever rejected by theLegislaure. Thiis is due to the fact that a person who is worthy of being a judge cannot be said not to be worthy of heading the judiciary. In Amechi's case, the constitution says "The most senior judge of the HIGH COURT". Amechi himself alluded to this fact. Now tell me if the title "President of Customary Court of Appeal" of River state sounds the same as " Judge of the High Court Rivers state" ? Admitted, a judge of high Court of a state ranks equal with the president of customary court of Appeal in same way President of Court of Appeal ranks equal to a jusice of supreme court, but does the fact of their ranking make them the same.? President of Customary Court of Appeal is already the head of his own Court which is Customary Cour of Appeal and does not need to metamorphose into a High Court judge and to exercise the jurisdiction he has not. Every action he will take as a CJ of Rivers state would be null and void and ulra vires because there is surely a difference beween paracetamol and panadol evenhough they serve similar purpose. I definiely know that the NJC will rise up to this and protect the judiciary from poliical vultures. Justice Daisy Okocha remains the recognised CJ in waiting of Rivers state and I trust Justice Alomo Mariam Mukhtar CJN to deal ruthlessly with tha impostor tha was sworn in by Amechi. He would as well wave good bye to his career as a judge. I guess he must have been summoned to Abuja to be grilled by NJC. That is the beauty of the legal profession, you are checked by team of eminent collegues
D issue of seniority is more of a convention than law.There is no provision in d constitution that makes it a criteria for d appointment of a substantive chief judge not even appointment of chief justice of Nigeria..Its only when appointing an acting that d issue of seniority comes in.Also, d NJC only recommends,but d appointment is done by d governor subject to confirmation by d house.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by practitioner(m): 6:45pm On Aug 22, 2013
Demdem:

That Amaechis appointed judge is the most senior in rivers judiciary is not in doubt, the bone of contention is if the appeal customary court can be regarded as high court.
This is something the courts has to decide on. Kudos to Amaechi for bringing this issue to fore.
I wil rather u say kudos to him for doing what is glaringly wrong.That provision is not ambiguous and does not even need d time of d court,which is very obvious to every unbiased person,which I doubt if u re one of them.

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Lushgreen: 6:48pm On Aug 22, 2013
Demdem:

Both are under the same Rivers state Judiciary and Amaechi decided to choose the most senior Judge. If u have issues with this, go to court.
NJC simply made a recommendation and just like the way retardeen ignored their recommendation as regards salami recall, so also Amaechi decides to ignore this.

If your so-called "reterdeen" makes a bad call, does that give every citizen the freedom to make bad calls? Do you consider this enough justification and a legal precedence?

On your "go to court"statement: If someone comes to your house and rapes your wife, would you leave him to continue in the act while you run to court to seek redress?
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Lushgreen: 7:02pm On Aug 22, 2013
@Topic,

Can one person hold the position of a state CJ and Customary court President concurrently?

If not, who occupies the seat of the President of the Customary court of appeal for the three months of Agumagu's absence?

Does section 281 allow for a lacuna?
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by meforyou1(m): 8:48pm On Aug 22, 2013
I'm not a lawyer. And wount like to dabble into law matters. But my question is "is the. President of customary court equivalent to a high court judge?" Legal answers pls. Though I know judgement of labour tribunal is equal to high court judgement, but I don't want to dabble
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 9:50pm On Aug 22, 2013
practitioner: I wil rather u say kudos to him for doing what is glaringly wrong.That provision is not ambiguous and does not even need d time of d court,which is very obvious to every unbiased person,which I doubt if u re one of them.

[b]There is nothing wrong in what he has done. Instead this act of his will open another chapter entirely in the Nigeria judicial system. Why should a court with alternate jurisdiction be looked upon "inferiorly"? Is it a curse that the most senior judge in the rivers state judiciary found himself in appellate customary. At a time when peeps are talking about removal of discrimination BTW hnd and Bsc, u are advocating for more discrimination for the judicial process. What encouragement will be for members of the bench to proceed to customary if no matter what they do or their number of years in office, they simply can't head the state judiciary.
Ur Myopic views is simply not making u see the bigger picture. Ur self acclaim un bias position is skrewed and of little value.
It's good for our jurisprudence if it determines if the appellate customary that has alternate jurisdiction with the high court can also be regarded as high court. Even if the judgement isn't in favour of this, I Desire a review of this part of the constitutional.
There shouldn't be any form of discrimination in the judiciary.[/b]
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 9:56pm On Aug 22, 2013
Lushgreen:

If your so-called "reterdeen" makes a bad call, does that give every citizen the freedom to make bad calls? Do you consider this enough justification and a legal precedence?

On your "go to court"statement: If someone comes to your house and rapes your wife, would you leave him to continue in the act while you run to court to seek redress?

U have forgotten that if the head is rotten, there is no hope for the rest of the body. Even at this, Amaechi didn't make the wrong call. He did what is right. Besides, its for the NJC to recommend but for Amaechi to appoint, so what's ur problem?

U most likely share ur wife and ur entire household with the rest of the country but in my house, am the police, judge and executioner.
This instance of urs is really daft to be honest.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 9:58pm On Aug 22, 2013
Lushgreen: @Topic,

Can one person hold the position of a state CJ and Customary court President concurrently?

If not, who occupies the seat of the President of the Customary court of appeal for the three months of Agumagu's absence?

Does section 281 allow for a lacuna?

Complete crap. So there are no judges again in the appellate court right?
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by VOICEOFTHEMASES: 11:51pm On Aug 22, 2013
It very obvious the judiciary in Rivers state will soon be dragged into the political war going on in the state. In no short time the state judiciary will have pro-Ameachi and Anti-ameachi because the governor is close to make that happen.

Am not a lawyer in this case but I will be speaking from the common man's point of view. Last monday,I heard the chief judge of Rivers state Hon. Justice Iche N. Ndu is taking a bar from the bench,as he has reached the age required by the constitution to go. At the cause of the Cj's thanksgiving service none of the state government officials where there both from the governor's office or that of the state house of assembly. To me this was a sign that tells, all is not well with the governor and the outgoing CJ. Looking at the political event that has been playing out in the state, it is very obvious every camp of the pro-ameachi and the Anti-ameachi is trying to have the incoming CJ in there payroll, as you all know justic today in nigeria is for the highest bidder. over time have posted issues on how the judiciary is so full of corruption because I don't see a reason why the right thing will not be done.

Now it got to a point where a new chief judge has to be appointed by the governor which the 1999 constitution as amended gives the power to do so. But in the cause of doing this act,the governor who is my very good friend, failed to do the right thing by appointing the most senior judge in the high court to take over from the out going CJ. Instead the governor appointed the president of the state customary court of appeal Hon. Justice PeterN.C. Agumagu, KSM to be the judge thereby violating the provision of Section 271(4) of d 1999 constitution,which is applicable here provides as follows" if d office of the chief judge of a state is vacant or if the person holding the office is for any reason unable to perform d functions of the office, then until a person has been appointed to and has assumed the function of that office or until the person holdings the office has resumed those functions,the Governor of the state shall appoint the most senior judge of the High court to perform those functions".

Going by the report, the Governor appointed the president of d customary court of appeal as the most senior judge, but the constitution provides that the appointee shall be the most senior judge of the HIGH COURT. Justice Agumagu not being a judge of the high court, is not qualified constitutionally for d appointment. Is just like asking the president of the federal court of appeal to become the chief justic of Nigeria.

So it is very import my friend governor ameachi to do the right thing by appoint Hon.mrs. Justice Daisy W. Okocha as the CJ of rivers state.

I don talk my own finsh,I stand to be corrected oooo,like I said am not a lawyer!

V.O.M
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by HopeAtHand: 5:50am On Aug 23, 2013
Larryfly: na my church man be that o! congrats sir! i will join you on sunday for thanksgiving. Corpus Christi......in Christ we are one!
U see ur lyf?..because na ur churchman u dey support bad thing.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 7:40am On Aug 23, 2013
Another issue the court also need to decide if its a must that the executives (govs, president) are bound to obey the recommendation of the NJC.
I can see goons here who supported the decision of the retardeen who ignored NJC recommendation for salamis recall but have issues with Amaechis decision to ignore NJC.
This morning it was reported in the news that NBA rivers visited the new appointee after the association of SAN visited all agreeing to the decision of Amaechi.
These are interesting times for our judiciary. The court has a lot to do and those oppose to this decision to seek redress in the court.
Lucky for them, the chap is still in acting capacity.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by eldoradoxx: 8:44am On Aug 23, 2013
practitioner: D issue of seniority is more of a convention than law.There is no provision in d constitution that makes it a criteria for d appointment of a substantive chief judge not even appointment of chief justice of Nigeria..Its only when appointing an acting that d issue of seniority comes in.Also, d NJC only recommends,but d appointment is done by d governor subject to confirmation by d house.
Some conventions have assumed the status of law that it becomes non-derogable. By practice, no junior has ever been appointed CJN or President of Court of Appeal or CJ of State or FHC over and above the most senior. NJC has its guideline and it is that it must nominate the most senior. The reason being that if the most senior is not disqualified from being a judge, then he is qualified to be head his court if he becomes the most senior. Yea, thanks for the correction, NJC actually recommends who becomes CJ and the Governor is bound to appoint whoever is recommended as he has no choice here. Except if there is a serious allegation that should disqualify a candidate from being a judge, the legislature must ratify. Seniority guides appointment of both substantive and acting heads of Court.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by sugardaddy1(m): 9:16am On Aug 23, 2013
duality: If I don't hear form the NJC in 7 days about this issue, then It will be most unfortunate. Where are the civil societies of this country? they all have lost focus because if 2015 and GEJ.
NBA and all legal luminaries say the appointment is in line with the 1999 constitution. So what are you ranting about?
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 23, 2013
$ugardaddy:

NBA and all legal luminaries say the appointment is in line with the 1999 constitution. So what are you ranting about?

After all said and done...I hope all the charge and bail lawyers would allow us rest

Like Demdem said I believe the principle of 'alternate jurisdiction' and 'lenght of appointment' rather than age-wise seniority informed the decision of Amaechi to appoint Agumagu
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Demdem(m): 11:04am On Aug 23, 2013
REHOZIBAH:

After all said and done...I hope all the charge and bail lawyers would allow us rest

Like Demdem said I believe the principle of 'alternate jurisdiction' and 'lenght of appointment' rather than age-wise seniority informed the decision of Amaechi to appoint Agumagu

Even at that, its a good thing if this issue is tested in the law court. It will only strengthen our judiciaary.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by Ikiriye(m): 11:59am On Aug 23, 2013
nairalanders you all can see the kind of governor we have in rivers state,a GOVERNOR who has total disregard for the rule of LAW.appointing someone that is not qualified and yet he cries for justice while depriving others of justice.BEWARE OF AMAECHI ON NAIRALAND AND DONT GIVE HIM SUPPORT OR SYMPATHY FOR HIS PREDICAMENTS.WHAT SO EVER YOU SOW SHALL YOU REAP.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by practitioner(m): 1:10pm On Aug 23, 2013
Demdem:

[b]There is nothing wrong in what he has done. Instead this act of his will open another chapter entirely in the Nigeria judicial system. Why should a court with alternate jurisdiction be looked upon "inferiorly"? Is it a curse that the most senior judge in the rivers state judiciary found himself in appellate customary. At a time when peeps are talking about removal of discrimination BTW hnd and Bsc, u are advocating for more discrimination for the judicial process. What encouragement will be for members of the bench to proceed to customary if no matter what they do or their number of years in office, they simply can't head the state judiciary.
Ur Myopic views is simply not making u see the bigger picture. Ur self acclaim un bias position is skrewed and of little value.
It's good for our jurisprudence if it determines if the appellate customary that has alternate jurisdiction with the high court can also be regarded as high court. Even if the judgement isn't in favour of this, I Desire a review of this part of the constitutional.
There shouldn't be any form of discrimination in the judiciary.[/b]
Can u pls explain what u mean by a court of alternate jurisdiction.If u ve any issue with that express provision of d constitution or it seems discriminatory to you,then what u should be clamouring for is its amendment and not trying to twist it to suit u.D fact that am of d opinion that d appointment is wrong,does not necessarily mean am comfortable with d provision,but d fact remains that it is d law until it is amended,and should not be twisted to suit selfish interest. Ur argument on inferiority and discrimination does not hold water. Need I remind u that president of a customary court of appeal is not answerable to d chief jude of a state with regards to matters of that court? Mind u also,there is no provision in d constitution that bars a judge of customary court of appeal from being appointed a chief judge of a state.So what's d rant abt inferiority and discrimination about?
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by practitioner(m): 2:09pm On Aug 23, 2013
eldoradoxx: Some conventions have assumed the status of law that it becomes non-derogable. By practice, no junior has ever been appointed CJN or President of Court of Appeal or CJ of State or FHC over and above the most senior. NJC has its guideline and it is that it must nominate the most senior. The reason being that if the most senior is not disqualified from being a judge, then he is qualified to be head his court if he becomes the most senior. Yea, thanks for the correction, NJC actually recommends who becomes CJ and the Governor is bound to appoint whoever is recommended as he has no choice here. Except if there is a serious allegation that should disqualify a candidate from being a judge, the legislature must ratify. Seniority guides appointment of both substantive and acting heads of Court.
D current chief judge of Borno state is not d most senior judge of d state high court,even d outgoing chief judge of Rivers system state was was nt d most senior at d time of his appointment. It is jst a practice, and not d law to appoint d most senior as a substantive chief judge. I dnt think this is one of those conventions that can assume d status of law in light of d express provision of d constitution.For d constitution to ve expressly provided for d qualification of seniority in d case of appointing an acting CJ and then omitted it with regards to d substantive CJ shows it is intentional.That is not to say am in support of that provision, but that is d law.
Re: Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers by practitioner(m): 2:15pm On Aug 23, 2013
$ugardaddy:

Why dont u pick up a copy of d constitution and read it,and then come up with ur own opinion. D constitution is not written in arabic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Won’t Decline Courtesy Calls By Opposition Candidates — Buhari / Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq Officially Inaugurated As 7th Kwara State Governor / Petrol Price Hike Only After Negotiation With Labour — NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.