Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,296 members, 7,954,179 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:42 PM

13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets (1664 Views)

N750 Monthly Charges For PHCN Prepaid Users (Meters) / Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers / Rationalisation: Fg Approves N130bn For Phcn Workers’ Benefits ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by awodman: 7:28am On Aug 22, 2013
Nigeria’s power sector future is beginning to look positively entrenched. After months of frenetic activities, the winning bidders for the 15 generation (Gencos) and distribution (Discos) assets of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) by the 14 buyers paid up the remaining 75 percent of the bid sum, marking a significant shift in strategy by the Federal Government on how electricity should be delivered to the consumers.

Atedo Peterside, Chairman of the Technical Committee on Privatisation, called it “a major milestone for Nigeria.”

“It is the day that the centre of gravity in power shifted from government to the private sector just like it happened in the telecoms sectors many years ago,” he told BusinessDay.

BusinessDay, as at press time confirmed that all the winning bidders had paid up except for Interstate Electricity Company, bid winners for Enugu Electricity Distribution Company and Shiroro Generation Company bid winner, North/South Power limited. Both failed to make the cut.

BusinessDay also confirmed that bid winners for the Sapele Generation Company fell short of its bid payment by $40 million after paying $110 million.

“Now that they have paid, the assets belong to them and we hope they can now go ahead to justify the investment they have made,” Peterside told BusinessDay.

The country is expected to realize about $2.5 billion (N402.5 billion) from this final phase of the exercise that began in February this year.

“We are moving into interesting times,” says Albert Okumagba, Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of BGL Plc. “But let all stakeholders let the consumers know that they (investors) have a road map that will benefit all and how soon they intend to democratize their company. The consumers need to be reassured.”

Sam Amadi, chairman, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), said: “This means the ground has shifted from government total control and management to much more private sector involvement. It means we have succeeded in the two major planks of the power reforms which are the liberalisation of the sector for private investors to come in and the creation of an electricity market. Before now, there was no electricity market and no rules and regulations. Now, electricity is done on bilateral contracts with proper rules and regulations. It is a transformation and the President Jonathan should be commended for this.”

According to him, one of the initial steps to be taken by the new investors is to look at their license conditions and business proposals with which they won the bids and ensure that they fulfill them.

“NERC will ensure that they comply with the rules and provide quality service to the consumers.” Amadi added.

Solomon Adegbie-Quaynor, country manager of the International Finance Corporation (IFC) which recently unveiled its plans to support core investors in the sector to add 1,500MW to the national grid, said the investors should take stock of their assets to understand the positives and the weaknesses, adding that they need to also take stock of the people, to assess their expertise and competence.

“IFC is very happy to see the private sector get involved. While there are still some issues to be resolved, we think it is a welcome development.”

I think there is a clear commitment by all the relevant agencies involved in the privatisation to make it successful. The government leadership, the ministry of finance, BPE, NERC, and all the other agencies are going in the right direction. That makes for more coherence in the privatisation, compared to that of NITEL.

“Obviously, the entry of the private sector is going to be a positive development. The private investors will not want their investment to go down the drain so they will strive to turn the place around to recoup their investment through quality service delivery to the consumers,” said Akin Adetunji, executive vice chairman, Terra Energy Services Nigeria Limited.

He noted that some of the challenges to be faced by the new investors would include issues of gas supplies and transmission, adding that a lot of investment needs to be made to improve the transmission network and guarantee gas supply to power plants.

“The new investors should drive the government to its part particularly in the areas of gas supplies and transmission. Power that does not reach the consumers does not translate to money,” Adetunji said.

Analyst say focus will now shift to the more thorny labour related issues of the process to secure a sustainable transition road map. There were also questions around when the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) will be extinct as an entity and the assets handed fully over to the investors.

But some top executives who spoke last night say they are already on the verge of fully resolving that.

“We have resolved at least 90 percent of any Labour related issues for us at the Ughelli power plant, says Adeoye Fadeyibi, MD/CEO Transcorp Ughelli Power Limited, whose company fully paid $300 million for its acquisition of the plant.

“We are excited about the take over and we will ensure the sustenance of the growth plan we have for the plant and we expect to officially take over within the next two weeks,” he told BusinessDay.

Bex Nwawudu, Cambridge University trained investment banker and director at CBO Capital, described the development as an excellent news.

“We have made solid progress. I understand the difficulty there can be completing a major privatization programme in the power sector in a place like Nigeria and not many expected that the process will end so well and so promptly.”

Funke Osibodu, Director at Vigeo which bought Benin Disco say they did not at any time entertain any doubt that we will meet the payment deadline.

“We have always believed in the privatization programme and we are able to assure electricity consumers in the four states which we will serve that our Disco is one with a difference. We have been close participants in the electricity delivery process and we intend to use our good knowledge of the business and superior skill to deliver top class service to our customers. We also delighted that the BPE and the government is playing their part.”
http://businessdayonline.com/2013/08/shift-of-gravity-in-electricity-as-private-sector-takes-over/

1 Like

Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 7:34am On Aug 22, 2013
what is wrong with emeka offor's interstate?
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by awodman: 7:52am On Aug 22, 2013
asha 80: what is wrong with emeka offor's interstate?
You can ask me again..I think those guys are not ready to do business..Barth Nnaji's Eastern Electricity company as the reserved bidder will be expected to step in and pay-up..that will definitely be good news to Aba residents who have been drawn into a long battle between Emeka Offor's Interstate and Barth Nnaji's geometric for the control of Ariria and Aba business districts of PHCN...

@ topic..the history of a vibrant electricity industry in Nigeria has just been launched..Consumers will soon start enjoying
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 7:57am On Aug 22, 2013
awodman:
You can ask me again..I think those guys are not ready to do business..Barth Nnaji's Eastern Electricity company as the reserved bidder will be expected to step in and pay-up..that will definitely be good news to Aba residents who have been drawn into a long battle between Emeka Offor's Interstate and Barth Nnaji's geometric for the control of Ariria and Aba business districts of PHCN...

@ topic..the history of a vibrant electricity industry in Nigeria has just been launched..Consumers will soon start enjoying
really if interstate is not ready they should fccuuk off mehn..no time for such stupidities..give the reserve bidders the chance to take up the challenge haba.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Freeanijoo(m): 8:01am On Aug 22, 2013
Its a cheering development, nothing is impossible its all about determination and resilliance.

2 Likes

Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by homesteady(m): 8:08am On Aug 22, 2013
Good news
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Capnd143(m): 8:20am On Aug 22, 2013
"we do not pride ourselves with the higth of our skyscrapers,the power of our military nor the size of our economy, but because we are one nation under God our diversity shall not be our adversity, but through a little problems we face everyday as a nation and the ones we try to solve, we shall emerge as one great strong nation" - 42nd american president.

1 Like

Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by awodman: 8:33am On Aug 22, 2013
asha 80: really if interstate is not ready they should fccuuk off mehn..no time for such stupidities..give the reserve bidders the chance to take up the challenge haba.

Already Barth's company has indicated interest to pay up..see

awodman:
Meanwhile, Eastern Electric Company, the reserve bidder
for the Enugu Electricity Distribution Company, has
declared its preparedness to pay $126 million for the
takeover of the company, which provides power to the
South-eastern part of the country.

The company expressed its willingness in a statement
Wednesday by its communication consultant, Mr C. Don
Adinuba, following the inability of Interstate Electrics to pay
the remaining 75 per cent of the bid price at the close of
payment Wednesday.

The consortium was formed by the five South-east state
governments; Nestoil, a major indigenous operator in the
upstream sector of the petroleum industry; Aba Power Ltd
and Geometric Power Ltd, led by former Power Minister
Bart Nnaji and Diamond Bank’s founding chairman Pascal
Dozie, among others.
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/13-bidders-pay-75-balance-for-power-assets/156944/
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by StObaino1(m): 8:40am On Aug 22, 2013

Can't wait to see at least 15 hrs daily not even 24hrs yet.
Tired of all this talk talk in the power sector.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 8:43am On Aug 22, 2013
awodman:

Already Barth's company has indicated interest to pay up..see

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/13-bidders-pay-75-balance-for-power-assets/156944/
that is good as i see nestoil there too which is also a serious company judging from what there subsidiary cpg(centurion power) is doing with the proposed okija plant.at least eastern seems ready to pay now.interstate with emeka offor should fcccuuk off if they are not serious.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 22, 2013
Who says it is not Uhuru yet in Nigeria's power sector?
I am delighted at this news. Open the market!!!
Liberalize the sector!!!
Well-done GEJ and all who are instrumental to this history making in Naija

3 Likes

Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:06am On Aug 22, 2013
FRESH AIR till 2019!!!
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by otokx(m): 9:07am On Aug 22, 2013
Lets hope for the best; no light still in UNIPORT.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 22, 2013
otokx: Lets hope for the best; no light still in UNIPORT.

As usual.

Is there any time you people do have light in UNIPORT

#justasking#
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:21am On Aug 22, 2013
otokx: Lets hope for the best; no light still in UNIPORT.
Guy, u sef neva graduate from UNIPORT? It's been 12 years now for a 4 year course.

2 Likes

Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 22, 2013
Sunny_bobo: Guy, u sef neva graduate from UNIPORT? It's been 12 years now for a 4 year course.

He is a Lecturer!
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by luvinhubby(m): 9:24am On Aug 22, 2013
Sunny_bobo: Guy, u sef neva graduate from UNIPORT? It's been 12 years now for a 4 year course.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by awodman: 11:39am On Aug 22, 2013
Elect/Elect Eng graduates will soon be on high demand...I sincerely hope and pray this private sector guys will bring in the desired change and efficiency we need in the power sector...Anyway they borrowed money from the banks,so no room for dulling
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by taharqa: 3:09pm On Aug 22, 2013
Am almost in tears, right about now....
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 3:55pm On Aug 22, 2013
i wonder how interstate electrics won that bid ahead of eastern electrics.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 3:59pm On Aug 22, 2013
taharqa: Am almost in tears, right about now....
taharqa: Am almost in tears, right about now....
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 5:13pm On Aug 22, 2013
awodman: Elect/Elect Eng graduates will soon be on high demand...I sincerely hope and pray this private sector guys will bring in the desired change and efficiency we need in the power sector...Anyway they borrowed money from the banks,so no room for dulling
abeg keep me abreast of the eastern electrics and interstate issues.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 7:09pm On Aug 22, 2013
awodman i think i have found out the reason interstate could pay the remaining 75 percent money for the bid.i would have posted the link if not that i typing with my phone.just go to 247ureports.com.it seems offor has fallen on financial hardtimes.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Chimezie198(m): 7:54pm On Aug 22, 2013
So I go soon iron my clothes again! For hw many yrs of darkness.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by awodman: 8:24pm On Aug 22, 2013
asha 80: awodman i think i have found out the reason interstate could pay the remaining 75 percent money for the bid.i would have posted the link if not that i typing with my phone.just go to 247ureports.com.it seems offor has fallen on financial hardtimes.
Nna mehn..I have read the report...its really a pity ƒσя him..Kudos to the vice president and the NCP for upholding the sanctity of the privatization process..
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 22, 2013
I wonder why this historic thread didn't make front page.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 22, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I wonder why this historic thread didn't make front page.
seconded.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by samilo88(m): 10:39pm On Aug 22, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I wonder why this historic thread didn't make front page.
Because it's not an APC praise singing thread.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 7:07am On Aug 23, 2013
awodman:
Nna mehn..I have read the report...its really a pity ƒσя him..Kudos to the vice president and the NCP for upholding the sanctity of the privatization process..
i wonder if it is 'nemesis'.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by awodman: 8:32am On Aug 23, 2013
asha 80: i wonder if it is 'nemesis'.

I read in thisday that Offor is frantically lobying the NCP to bend the rules for him..pls NCP shouldn't joke oo..stick to the Damn rules
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 8:39am On Aug 23, 2013
awodman:

I read in thisday that Offor is frantically lobying the NCP to bend the rules for him..pls NCP shouldn't joke oo..stick to the Damn rules
is it todayl's thisday?well that 247ureports said that he lobbied and failed.i wonder if this is a new round of lobbying.i would suprised and downright angry should grant him such request after all dangote and adenuga were not granted such requests in the past.it is clear emeka offor cannot handle this.moreover reserve bidders can take the thing to court if it happens.
Re: 13 Companies Complete Payment For PHCN Assets by asha80(m): 8:49am On Aug 23, 2013
after reading thisday i am now angry.to think that interstate was actually given waivers initially when they failed both technical evaluation and aggregate techical and commercial loss stages.

(1) (2) (Reply)

1,300 Syrians Gassed To Death In Their Beds Inside Damascus Suburb (pics) / Group Offers Stowaway Teenager A Scholarship / Nigeria's 121 Million Mobile Phone Subscribers Live On $1 A Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.