Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,649 members, 7,820,257 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada (23176 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Deplorable State Of The Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (see Photos) / Staff At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada Are Incompetent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Siga: 3:20pm On Aug 23, 2013
This is so embarrassing and sad.... When will things change?

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2402356609/

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 23, 2013
Sad indeed! I have seen it all in the U.S too. They behave like animals when you go to Nigerian embassies in the U.S and Canada. My sister in Canada went from Ontario to Ottawa four times before she got her passport renewed.

My friend went for appointment in Atlanta, Georgia for an appointment but when he got there there was no one to attend to him. He met Nigerians at the embassy drinking beer like it is beer parlor. They also invited him to join them.

There was also a case of a Nigerian in Washington D.C who sent his passport for renewal but when they sent a passport back, it was someone else American passport that was snet to him with Nigerian visa on it.

Nigeria is a mess from top to the bottom. The country needs a shake down, home and abroad.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Siga: 4:16pm On Aug 23, 2013
Feel so sad for that Oluwakemi lady... London to Ottawa is pretty far... She went on a 7hr bus ride ... then got there to see its closed... Imagine them telling people to come in for their appointments then no notice of closure... e bad gan ni

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 23, 2013
Siga: Feel so sad for that Oluwakemi lady... London to Ottawa is pretty far... She went on a 7hr bus ride ... then got there to see its closed... Imagine them telling people to come in for their appointments then no notice of closure... e bad gan ni

My sister went four time in 2010 before she got her passport. Toronto to Ottawa.
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Siga: 4:22pm On Aug 23, 2013
payless:

My sister went four time in 2010 before she got her passport. Toronto to Ottawa.
... Will anything change? ... Na wa
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Fazhy: 4:44pm On Aug 23, 2013
At a point in life if care is not taken, abnormal things begin to appear normal.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 23, 2013
embarassed embarassed

And here we are,
Yoruba, IGbo , fighting each other.

APC, PDP, APGA....same hoodlums are coming on board 2015.

Nigeria is a Jungle!

20 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by mrborntodoit: 4:46pm On Aug 23, 2013
Nigerian Embassies just dey chop money for foreign land, they only respond to your demand if you understand their language(aka Egun je).
And if you go there to claim your right and mistakenly argue with them, that means your demand fit tay for their handgrin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Artless360(m): 4:46pm On Aug 23, 2013
Hmm naija same evrywer
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 23, 2013
You still have time to correct this menance by voting for the right person...

-my take.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by lanresz(m): 4:49pm On Aug 23, 2013
Those people don't care about how people feel. Imagine traveling from Calgary to Ottawa to find that Embassy closed. What a shame to the country. Beside why have only one office to serve Canada?

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Siga: 4:51pm On Aug 23, 2013
lanresz: Those people don't care about how people feel. Imagine traveling from Calgary to Ottawa to find that Embassy closed. What a shame to the country. Beside why have only one office to serve Canada?
...imagine how far apart each Province is with different time zone...na only one inefficient embassy...smh
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by OjaP: 4:52pm On Aug 23, 2013
Not all the embassies are bad. I went to renew my Nigerian passport at the NY office in May. I had a very good experience and the folks there were so nice and friendly. On top of this was that my passport was ready in less than 3 hours. I was surprised though.

Lest I forget, there is this Nigerian woman that sells Nigerian foods for people who come to renew their passports. I was lucky to spot her and I got 2 wraps of amala and mixed vegetable and okra soup. It was so delicious grin grin

21 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by ewuzi01: 4:52pm On Aug 23, 2013
i had a very good experience when i went to the Nigerian consulate in Atlanta GA. They were very professional and i renewed my passport on time.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by delors(m): 4:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
Imagine! That's so typical of Nigerians. So careless, so unprofessional! What would it have cost them to put a message on the website that they wouldnt open on that day? they see how it is done by canadians but they will never learn. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by lifestyle1(m): 4:55pm On Aug 23, 2013
Anything wey involve black man.... they must capitalize am undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by carmenblandish: 4:55pm On Aug 23, 2013
WETIN ALL OF UNA DEY FIND FOR ABROAD SEF?.....COME RENEW FOR ABUJA OR PH OR ABA...NOTHING DEY HAPPUN
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by DWJOBScom(m): 4:57pm On Aug 23, 2013
OjaP: Not all the embassies are bad. I went to renew my Nigerian passport at the NY office in May. I had a very good experience and the folks there were so nice and friendly. On top of this was that my passport was ready in less than 3 hours. I was surprised though.

Lest I forget, there is this Nigerian woman that sells Nigerian foods for people who come to renew their passports. I was lucky to spot her and I got 2 wraps of amala and mixed vegetable and okra soup. It was so delicious grin grin
Am so glad somebody gat something positive to say as I was so reluctant to state mine so that the "Hate Nigeria" Hate GEJ" "Hate everything" goons won't come after me!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 23, 2013
OjaP: Not all the embassies are bad. I went to renew my Nigerian passport at the NY office in May. I had a very good experience and the folks there were so nice and friendly. On top of this was that my passport was ready in less than 3 hours. I was surprised though.

This is why they always say everyone has a different experience. Most people i know complain about the NY office that they have to wait in line and that the staff is useless. Oh they also complain that the place is like a "buka" yet here you are and you had a good experience and even liked the fact that food was sold. Everyone with different experiences.

I had a wonderful experience at ATL. In and out in 30minutes yet you will still find people who will tell you that they had horrible experiences.
Overall, they need to step up their game but we have to understand that when they actually "perform" their duties, they do it WELL
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by lanresz(m): 5:02pm On Aug 23, 2013
Siga: ...imagine how far apart each Province is with different time zone...na only one inefficient embassy...smh

When you called their office and somebody happens to answer the phone, they feel as if they are doing you a favour. I dealt with them once to get an emergency travel document because my passport expired. The dude I spoke to was telling me it is not automatic. I basically told him off on the phone.
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 23, 2013
delors: Imagine! That's so typical of Nigerians. So careless, so unprofessional! What would it have cost them to put a message on the website that they wouldnt open on that day? they see how it is done by canadians but they will never learn. embarassed

I think the main issue is why do we Nigerians expect excellent service when we know we don't deserve it.
Our orientation is the problem. We do not like to do things the right way, yet we expect that when other Nigerians are in "positions of trust" that they will suddenly "forget" they are Nigerians and start behaving well.

Until we change our attitude nothing will change. If you as a Nigerian keep giving bribe, there will always be "bribe giver and takers"
If as a Nigerian, you keep rewarding incompetence, you will keep receiving incompetent service
Do you really expect people who don't give a damn about their duties to suddenly "change" because they are in another country? Especially when they have to render service to the same type of Nigerians who do the exact same thing they do?

If they would do the same thing in Nigeria, then you expecting them to change in another country is wishful thinking.
If we want anything to change, it has to start from Nigeria. If people are treated the same way in Nigeria, why do you expect it to change. Because they are in Canada?

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by ocheejemb: 5:06pm On Aug 23, 2013
SAd...I hope someone loses thier job because of this.
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by papi365: 5:09pm On Aug 23, 2013
2s£xy:
You still have time to correct this menance by voting for the right person...

-my take.
WHO IS D RIGHT PERSON?
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 23, 2013
Watching this, tears welled in my eyes. cry

Nigeria is really cursed, within and without.

Like I said, as soon as I can I am burning that green passport as soon as I am able to.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Siga: 5:12pm On Aug 23, 2013
Well... I still get hope say Naija go change.... Hope 93.... June 12 I stand....
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by frankcimc(m): 5:13pm On Aug 23, 2013
This is just not nice at all, someone is just not being responsible for his/her job.
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Fhemmmy: 5:15pm On Aug 23, 2013
I really hope that our govt would learn and order these people to do their job with diligence
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by brownlord: 5:16pm On Aug 23, 2013
How did i click on this thread

Am not commenting on this rubbish
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 23, 2013
NY office is a fraud too. Atlanta? Don't even go there! They are all the same.
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by snowflake1(m): 5:17pm On Aug 23, 2013
They are all a bunch of clowns.
I was at the Nigerian embassy to renew my MRP after the biometric one came into effect. I had already projected it to be a very stressful day so I left home early and got there early. From my observation I can vouch that bias is the order of the day at that embassy. I wasn't allowed to take my holdall bag in as I had packed some essentials to go to university (Stoke-on-Trent), I was referred to a cobbler shop in Charing Cross where I was charged £8 to keep my bag.

I finally dropped my bag and made my way to the embassy, at the entrance it was lucid that the workers had some back office business going on outside. Finally made my way to the cashier's desk and I was charged £80 extra on top of what I had already paid, they said the extra charge was for my virgin passport, no problem I ran back to the post office to buy the postal order which attracted a £10 commission- the embassy couldn't accept cash which is a universal means of payment. I finally paid and settled down, looked around and found out that loads of people had their bags with them.

My girlfriend's mum went weeks after, funnily she said she got called up quickly cos she bears a northern last name and faced no difficulty.

Out there it's 70% northern gang and 30% south eastern gang. Got my passport weeks after and on my way out I saw the workers ganged up in the highway discussing issues about tips, before that I had a break and went MacDonald's- saw one of the workers strolling casually from Trafalgar Square into the restaurant with a next man, this was during business hours and I could tell he had more back office activities going on.
Re: Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada by jawjaw1: 5:19pm On Aug 23, 2013
The Nigerian High Commission in Ottawa is a typical example of a Nigerian government ministry.
The moment you step in there, you are hit by the unproductive and nonchalant aura that characterizes the office of a Nigerian federal ministry.
What makes it worse is after experiencing the responsiveness and wonderful service you receive from Canadian government institutions such as Service Canada one has to put up with the attitude and nonchalant behaviour in a place that should be 'your home away from home'
I dont want to go into details of my personal experience with them when I wanted to verify my Nigerian Drivers Licence last year. It was simply terrible.

You would hope that the situation changes but when you look at who GEJ appointed as the High Commissioner last year (Ojo Maduekwe), what more can you expect.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ibom Air Begins Commercial Flight To Bayelsa Airport.. Photos / Screening Of Passengers Begin At Nigerian Airports Against Ebola Outbreak. Photo / Best Clubs In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.