Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? (4229 Views)

Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew / Why We Jailed Gen. Ransome-kuti – Army / Brigadier-General Ransome-Kuti Sentenced To Six Months In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 11:37pm On Aug 23, 2013
[b]For those who dont know Olikoye,he was once a federal Minister of health and if current events in the Nigerian health sector is anything to go by;this man till date remains the worst minister of health Nigeria ever had,followed by the current minster of health,Chukwu Onyebuchi.
Dateline is 1985,prior to Babangida appointing this parochial man as minister of health,the adminstration of hospitals in the Nigerian health sector was managed by professionals called Hospital Administrative Professionals,like every other serious country all over the developed world.Olikoye with devilish intentions quietly took away the adminstration of hospitals from this group of professionals.Incidentally,the obective of having profesional hospital administrators at the helm of hospital adminstration is to avoid the bickering that pervades the health sector and save the sector of this huge distraction and loss of well-trained health professionals to the politics of hospital adminstration like it is now the case where you have senior experienced doctors in politics of hospital adminstration than in actual practice and trainning of young medical professionals.
Olikoye was adviced against this particular action but he convinced babangida to buy into his despicable intention.And from massive transfer of doctors into hospital administration,his doctors successor minister of doctors(or health) started creating different agencies under the minstry of health and it continues until the appetite of nigerian doctors for adminstrative position became insatiable.Fast forward to 2013,they are now battling with professional insurance administrators with even the administration of health insurance!! They facilitated the deployment of one of their own in NAFDAC despite the fact that the american-returnee Orhii has a postgraduate in pharmacology(effect of drug on the body and vice versa),pronto,the man dropped the stethoscope and started overseeing a chaotic drug distribution chain he has no direct link with,the current story of NAFDAC is clearly in contrast to the Akunyili who as a pharmacist was equally directly linked with the trainning of professionals who will be deployed into the drug distribution chain.
The National Primary healthcare is a conduit pipe simply because the other members of the healthcare team do not have an input in the drafting of the law guiding the National Primary healthcare Development Agency.
As we speak now,the Nigerian doctors lead the pack in the trainning of Quacks because they run private clinics without the complement of other healthcare team.As at today,they hire barely literate people and 'train' them to be auxillary nurse!!Where is that done in the world!!

The current minster and president of the Nigerian medical Association(NMA)are particularly loquacious and intellectually lazy to understand that their game is up and no amount of cover up or grand-standing can change the fact that this current system of appointing doctors as head of hospitals is a disaster.All our health policies are defective and fail because the doctors are talking to themselves while the other memberso the healthcare team are having a big laugh at their foolishness.
Any resolution short of reverting to the hospital adminstration in the era before the inglorious Olikoye's tenure will not work.Doctors whose eyes are set for political adminstrative positions should think twice before they abandon their stethoscopes.The game is up.The era of adminstration of hospital by professional hospital admistrators beckons.[/b]

1 Like

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 12:22am On Aug 24, 2013
the problem caused by this evil man,I learnt has even crept into our colleges of medicine shocked shocked shocked
The mbbs student is now being indoctrinated with this false sense of superiority shocked shocked
young doctors,even those on internship will have the audacity to be rude to superior healthcare professionals who are not doctors shocked shocked
I once witnessed a situation where a senior nurse gave a dirty slap to an intern doctor and asked him to shut up!!I later learnt the young doctor was rude to a superior nurse!!
The sad part of this avoidable scenario is that ,the strike is the least way health professional have brought down the system.All along,they have been allowing the doctors to make a fool of themselves,some healthcare professional who were perpetually demoralised by the sad decision of Olikoye swallowed all manner of oppression from the self-appointed doctor-administrators of hospitals,while some remained in the system to fight for the restoration of sanity,some others ust get out of nigeria to saner climes where every input of the members of the healthcare team is valued.The loser is Nigeria and Nigerians.Obasano as president acheived a lot in health when it was under Prof Lambo(an economist) than any of these parochial doctors parading themselves as health administrators!
Nigeria halth system was destroyed by Olikoye,thank God mistake of 1985 is being challenged at last!
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by otokx(m): 1:05am On Aug 24, 2013
Why do some people have bad belle for doctors?

A nurse will always be a nurse, ditto a pharmacist, optometrist, lab technologist and xray what ever.

If it so pains you, go and buy jamb form and try studying medicine.

Our problem in Nigerian is greed with acute coveteousness.

3 Likes

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by nobaga: 1:26am On Aug 24, 2013
I cannot believe in what I just read about Prof. Kuti.

Obviously, this guy has some personal problem with the best health minister Nigeria ever had. The fact was that doctors do not like Olikoye because he push them into rural medicine. This is a guy that push primary care to the grassroots. Empowered health officers as rural doctors, promoted health workers in the rural areas to the dismay of nurses.

During his time health administrators that got stuck on level 14 went to level 16. This guy does not know what he is writing about. Enough!

1 Like

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by phantom(m): 1:29am On Aug 24, 2013
otokx: Why do some people have bad belle for doctors?

A nurse will always be a nurse, ditto a pharmacist, optometrist, lab technologist and xray what ever.

you dey mind the idio.ts? They want to cut corners and still earn the same salary with a doctor.let them go ahead and fool themselves.whatever they are negotiating with the fed gov should be favourable to the doctors otherwise the doctors will single handedly collapse the health care system
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by otokx(m): 1:34am On Aug 24, 2013
phantom: you dey mind the idio.ts? They want to cut corners and still earn the same salary with a doctor.let them go ahead and fool themselves.whatever they are negotiating with the fed gov should be favourable to the doctors otherwise the doctors will single handedly collapse the health care system

Imagine one saying that a nurse should rise to the position of a consultant?
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 1:43am On Aug 24, 2013
^^^what is your point?A doctor is not always going to be a doctor?or every other members of the healthcare team wanted to be a doctor?
Clearly,you dont see anything wrong in the system where an individual(olikoye) changed the rule in the middle of the game and brought untold calamity on our health sector? undecided
You should check your facts before you type.How do you regard a doctor superior or better than those you mentioned above.You must have been taking drugs produced and dispensed by a doctor for you to think there is nothing wrong with this chaos in the health sector.
When you have leaders like Enabule(loquacious NMA president) fanning the embers of discord.Imagine the president of the NMA seating in a comfortable office telling people to go to the hospital when only doctors are at work? undecidedDoes it not tell you alot about the kind of characters representing doctors?
Apparently,the NMA president was thinking all federal hospitals are his private mushroom clinic!!I was laughing at the childishness of the NMA president when he organised a funny national health summit in Asaba early this year and the event was attended by only doctors,yet he does not see anything wrong in that! shocked shocked
If you dont know,the cookie has crumbled.A responsible NMA president should be reaching out to the elders of the profession to meet with the elders of the other professionals and find a solution before they start physically attacking doctors and it becomes free-for-all.These health workers are not the aggressor and they are not even asking that the doctors should no longer be considered for headship of hospital.They are demanding that the professional hospital administrators should be an independent course which can be done by everybody and should not be killed by progenitors of olikoye.This is what is done in sane climes.
Our health sector prior to Olikoye's tenure was not like this.The question to ask your co-travellers is..'Where did we get it wrong?'Olikoye caused it,the likes of chukwu continued with it,even to the point that he arrogantly declined attempts by the minister of labour to broker peace.Still all you see is beef?

1 Like

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by Abagworo(m): 1:45am On Aug 24, 2013
onomeasike: the problem caused by this evil man,I learnt has even crept into our colleges of medicine shocked shocked shocked
The mbbs student is now being indoctrinated with this false sense of superiority shocked shocked
young doctors,even those on internship will have the audacity to be rude to superior healthcare professionals who are not doctors shocked shocked
I once witnessed a situation where a senior nurse gave a dirty slap to an intern doctor and asked him to shut up!!I later learnt the young doctor was rude to a superior nurse!!
The sad part of this avoidable scenario is that ,the strike is the least way health professional have brought down the system.All along,they have been allowing the doctors to make a fool of themselves,some healthcare professional who were perpetually demoralised by the sad decision of Olikoye swallowed all manner of oppression from the self-appointed doctor-administrators of hospitals,while some remained in the system to fight for the restoration of sanity,some others ust get out of nigeria to saner climes where every input of the members of the healthcare team is valued.The loser is Nigeria and Nigerians.Obasano as president acheived a lot in health when it was under Prof Lambo(an economist) than any of these parochial doctors parading themselves as health administrators!
Nigeria halth system was destroyed by Olikoye,thank God mistake of 1985 is being challenged at last!

Nurses have this inferiority complex that kind of piss me off. A Doc is a Doc and a nurse is a nurse. Thereis no. Prefix to a nurse's name.

1 Like

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 2:00am On Aug 24, 2013
Abagworo:

Nurses have this inferiority complex that kind of piss me off. A Doc is a Doc and a nurse is a nurse. Thereis no. Prefix to a nurse's name.
are you a toddler?what does prefix have to do with the role of a nurse as a healthcare professional?I am sure you are thinking of auxillary nurses being trained by Nigerian doctors.

phantom: you dey mind the idio.ts? They want to cut corners and still earn the same salary with a doctor.let them go ahead and fool themselves.whatever they are negotiating with the fed gov should be favourable to the doctors otherwise the doctors will single handedly collapse the health care system

This is the vintage NMA president.Nigerians should know that you mean kill more lives.When doctors do their own,they will do their own too and it goes ding-dong and until frustration of both parties will brew into physical brawl.
nobaga: I cannot believe in what I just read about Prof. Kuti.

Obviously, this guy has some personal problem with the best health minister Nigeria ever had. The fact was that doctors do not like Olikoye because he push them into rural medicine. This is a guy that push primary care to the grassroots. Empowered health officers as rural doctors, promoted health workers in the rural areas to the dismay of nurses.

During his time health administrators that got stuck on level 14 went to level 16. This guy does not know what he is writing about. Enough!

In your mind.While he olikoye was posting people to rural areas,he was quietly replacing professional hospital administrators in charge of hospital administration with doctors to give his professional group(doctors) edge of control over other health professionals.You must think that a career health professional is retired on level 14

otokx:

Imagine one saying that a nurse should rise to the position of a consultant?

Go and read what makes a medical consultant to become one first and then see who stands to benefit when you allow the nurses rise to the peak of their career and not suppress them.Imagine a nurse with advanced knowledge in midwifery can do in a country like Nigeria with one of the world's health indices
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 2:07am On Aug 24, 2013

this is a remark that can only be made by those doctors produced by the Olikoye legacy.Imagine,if a doctor calls pharmacists,nurses,med lab scientist,optometrists etc idiots shocked.
I pray you get attended to by an idiotic health professional,probably an idiotic nurse who will adminster on you an overdose of a wrong prescription that escaped the vigilance of a pharmacist
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by IdomaLikita: 3:12am On Aug 24, 2013
@ OP , I agree with you 101%
Drs are not trained to run hospitals and nowhere in the World do they,
Infact Hospital Managers are very Big Firms quoted on several Global Stock Markets!
But the gra gra fire-brigade approach put Drs in Nigeria above every other Healthcare Staff which is not good!
Even though the current status quo favours me, I must say the truth! Its not nice!

Errm, Sorry to Digress!

Was Florence Nightingale's Nyash that Big? Damn! Nurses this Dayz na Mercy Johnson + Toolz in White!
God Helps Us All

1 Like

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by citizenisb: 5:53am On Aug 24, 2013
Onomeasike you might need to be in a sanatorium. With everybody else who thinks like you. I even know you ate from Uch -Ibadan and you do no real work for a living yet you collect full pay from FG.

I can hardly explain to uneducated people the importance of doctors because the politicians have bastardized education making it difficult for the populace to reason.

Once Obamacare starts and with the expansion of the NHS you guys will beg for the few that are left
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by sanshadon(m): 6:18am On Aug 24, 2013
onomeasike: the problem caused by this evil man,I learnt has even crept into our colleges of medicine shocked shocked shocked
beef beef beef....liar
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by sanshadon(m): 6:19am On Aug 24, 2013
otokx: Why do some people have bad belle for doctors?

thank you my brother
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by qmd24(m): 7:32am On Aug 24, 2013
@poster is suffering from inferiority complex.
What makes a doctor a doctor is the superior intellectualism. This is the standard all over the world.

The best brains study medicine and surgery and should as well be the head of the team.
If you can survive med school and live through residency training program to be a consultant then you can aspire to lead the healthteam.

Almost all of allied health workers are half baked in Nigeria without intimidating credentials and academic /research papers, yet they want respect and equality on a platter of gold.
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by PresidentT(m): 8:55am On Aug 24, 2013
This poster must be high on some cheap drugs. Do u have an idea what the mbbs and residency training entails? You are trained to be a university graduate, trained to be a clinical nurse, lab man, a pharmacist, a radiologist, optometrist ....... And an administrator before becomin a consultant. I understand ur position. You don't understand what u don't have a clue about.
Pls check ur fact well. The demand of this JOHESU is not bore out of any genuine interest for the health service rather a desire to grab part of the action which is to be administer discriminatory.
And as for OR-K being the worst MOH I think that is going too far! You must really be joking. Do ursef some good: read what u can find on Primary Health Care.
Lastly, u gave ursef out by not listing other unscrupulous demands from JOHESU to FG.

1 Like

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 9:36am On Aug 24, 2013
PresidentT: This poster must be high on some cheap drugs. Do u have an idea what the mbbs and residency training entails? You are trained to be a university graduate, trained to be a clinical nurse, lab man, a pharmacist, a radiologist, optometrist ....... And an administrator before becomin a consultant. I understand ur position. You don't understand what u don't have a clue about.
Pls check ur fact well. The demand of this JOHESU is not bore out of any genuine interest for the health service rather a desire to grab part of the action which is to be administer discriminatory.
And as for OR-K being the worst MOH I think that is going too far! You must really be joking. Do ursef some good: read what u can find on Primary Health Care.
Lastly, u gave ursef out by not listing other unscrupulous demands from JOHESU to FG.

qmd24: @poster is suffering from inferiority complex.
What makes a doctor a doctor is the superior intellectualism. This is the standard all over the world.

The best brains study medicine and surgery and should as well be the head of the team.
If you can survive med school and live through residency training program to be a consultant then you can aspire to lead the healthteam.

Almost all of allied health workers are half baked in Nigeria without intimidating credentials and academic /research papers, yet they want respect and equality on a platter of gold.

citizenisb: Onomeasike you might need to be in a sanatorium. With everybody else who thinks like you. I even know you ate from Uch -Ibadan and you do no real work for a living yet you collect full pay from FG.

I can hardly explain to uneducated people the importance of doctors because the politicians have bastardized education making it difficult for the populace to reason.

Once Obamacare starts and with the expansion of the NHS you guys will beg for the few that are left

These are kindergarten doctors,I pray God will not lead us to this kind of dimwits parading themselves as doctors who think they know all(amen)It's only a faulty education system that will make a person feel studying medicine is a status symbol and not because of willingness to serve.These lot would rather have appointment as chief this and that than actually practicing medicine because that's not their priority. They think foolishly assume they know the course content of other courses when they don't. Medicine that you have 3 attempts to seat for mbbs ppre-clinal exams and have multiple chances for a re-seat in clinical years whereas somebody in pharmacy with a minimum of 2nd class lower cgpa for two consecutive sessions is immediately kicked out regardless of what level the person is .You are ignorant people and you face the reality, your assumed superiority only exist in the imagination of poorly trained doctors . The end to the reign of ignoramuses in hospital administration is come to end.leave with it or go and study hospital administration as a course.quack administrators!
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by phantom(m): 9:50am On Aug 24, 2013
onomeasike:

These are kindergarten doctors,I pray God will not lead us to this kind of dimwits parading themselves as doctors who think they know all(amen)It's only a faulty education system that will make a person feel studying medicine is a status symbol and not because of willingness to serve.These lot would rather have appointment as chief this and that than actually practicing medicine because that's not their priority. They think foolishly assume they know the course content of other courses when they don't. Medicine that you have 3 attempts to seat for mbbs ppre-clinal exams and have multiple chances for a re-seat in clinical years whereas somebody in pharmacy with a minimum of 2nd class lower cgpa for two consecutive sessions is immediately kicked out regardless of what level the person is .You are ignorant people and you face the reality, your assumed superiority only exist in the imagination of poorly trained doctors . The end to the reign of ignoramuses in hospital administration is come to end.leave with it or go and study hospital administration as a course.quack administrators!
what the pharmacist learnt in five years is what a doctor studies in one course- pharmacology.if you want to be respected as a doctor please go and study medicine.you guys are a funny lot! All the paramedicals were trained by doctors to make the doctors job easier.it was a doctor who trained radiographers and made radiography a course.until recently it was a diploma course.now they feel they can rub shoulders.the average doctor is humble, but since these people want war, they will get it.you cant match the doctor and you know it.that is why you rope other people in to join your strikes because each of your associations cannot carry out a successful strike.even cleaners are part of JOHESU.you want to be consultants.where does it happen.where? Its only in nigeria that you find such stupi.d things.you are on strike yet UPTH was busy as h.ell yesterday.why? Because those who matter were at their duty posts.clowns!
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 11:55am On Aug 24, 2013
phantom: what the pharmacist learnt in five years is what a doctor studies in one course- pharmacology.if you want to be respected as a doctor please go and study medicine.you guys are a funny lot! All the paramedicals were trained by doctors to make the doctors job easier.it was a doctor who trained radiographers and made radiography a course.until recently it was a diploma course.now they feel they can rub shoulders.the average doctor is humble, but since these people want war, they will get it.you cant match the doctor and you know it.that is why you rope other people in to join your strikes because each of your associations cannot carry out a successful strike.even cleaners are part of JOHESU.you want to be consultants.where does it happen.where? Its only in nigeria that you find such stupi.d things.you are on strike yet UPTH was busy as h.ell yesterday.why? Because those who matter were at their duty posts.clowns!
I know you are one of the local death merchants parading themselves as doctors. Clearly, from your mentality, you will be a terrible manager, just stick to uniport afterall they produced our current president who clearly is below par with other doctorate (phd) holders of better universities in Nigeria and outside.It is seriously hurting you that the cookie baked by Olikoye has crumbled.All Pharmacists in sane climes, including UNIBEN carry the prefix "doctor" because all serious nations now run PharmD programs (I am sure you don't know this because you are stuck to the local way things are done).You are clearly either a medical student or a baby doctor for saying pharmacy is same as pharmacology.okay since you're ignorant let me inform you that pharmacology is just a part of pharmacy and the applied form of pharmacology is clinical pharmacy, there is pharmaceutic, pharmaceutical technology, pharmacognosy, pharm chemistry, pharm micro, pharm administration etc.abeg read to cure yourself of ignorance.pharmacists are more knowledgeable of pharmacology because they take more pharmacology courses and when they fail, no chance to take reseat three times like you.Lastly,doctors dont teach pharmacists in universities, ok? Go and read your book and face the reality,things aint going to be same again.olikoye caused this problem, I don't blame you Arrow

2 Likes

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by phantom(m): 12:06pm On Aug 24, 2013
if you want to answer 'doctor' feel free.if you like amass hundred D.pharm degrees,you will NEVER be a medical doctor.the only thing that will happen is that nigerians will ask if you are a medical doctor or a doctor of pharmacy.stop fooling yourself.this whole thing is happening because we live in a failed country with no regulations but rest assured, WATER WILL FIND ITS LEVEL.
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by joshuapharm(m): 10:41pm On Aug 24, 2013
phantom: if you want to answer 'doctor' feel free.if you like amass hundred D.pharm degrees,you will NEVER be a medical doctor.the only thing that will happen is that nigerians will ask if you are a medical doctor or a doctor of pharmacy.stop fooling yourself.this whole thing is happening because we live in a failed country with no regulations but rest assured, WATER WILL FIND ITS LEVEL.

Ur pride will do you no good!!! Seems there's this pride attached to medicine, but its not so, its just our Nigerian docs av serious problems.. They need anti-psychotics.
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by joshuapharm(m): 10:42pm On Aug 24, 2013
Now what is a med doc looking for in NAFDAC??
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 11:46pm On Aug 24, 2013
Idoma Likita: @ OP , I agree with you 101%
Drs are not trained to run hospitals and nowhere in the World do they,
Infact Hospital Managers are very Big Firms quoted on several Global Stock Markets!
But the gra gra fire-brigade approach put Drs in Nigeria above every other Healthcare Staff which is not good!
Even though the current status quo favours me, I must say the truth! Its not nice!

Errm, Sorry to Digress!

Was Florence Nightingale's Nyash that Big? Damn! Nurses this Dayz na Mercy Johnson + Toolz in White!
God Helps Us All

abeg pls help me tell those medical doctors planning their life long professional ambition to become chief this and that that the game is up.To head the administration of any hospital you dont need to be a doctor,all you need is to pass the professional certification as a hospital administrator.This is why most of these nigerian-trained doctors fail professional certification exams in uk to the point that UK medial regulatory authorities banned most nigerian medical graduates from their licensing programs.

phantom: if you want to answer 'doctor' feel free.if you like amass hundred D.pharm degrees,you will NEVER be a medical doctor.the only thing that will happen is that nigerians will ask if you are a medical doctor or a doctor of pharmacy.stop fooling yourself.this whole thing is happening because we live in a failed country with no regulations but rest assured, WATER WILL FIND ITS LEVEL.

my dear rude medical student,visit google to read how nations with working health system run.leave your okrika campus of uniport medical school.It is day 3 of the strike and all the federal hospitals remain grounded and you think people will continue to take shyte from the minister of doctors.the president is now facing the reality that this status quo started by olikoye has to give way and we return to the glorious era.You have not seen anything yet.The doctors will suffer and some of them like anaesthologists who have been seriously sidelined will break ranks and the cookie further crumbles.By 28th of august,the state will oin the strike.Tell your empty loquaciuos NMA president to face the reality.They stole power by hook and crook and ust like peter tosh said'darkness can only triumph over darkness in the interim'the interim was 1985 till now!
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by seanet02: 11:53pm On Aug 24, 2013
This is not true and totally false..
Olukoye was not against the Professionals at the helm of affairs, The junta was simply tired of them... Olikoye was not involved
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 12:22am On Aug 25, 2013
seanet02: This is not true and totally false..
Olukoye was not against the Professionals at the helm of affairs, The junta was simply tired of them... Olikoye was not involved
we are not debating the appropriateness or otherwise of sacking him as a minister of health or whether he should serve the military govt of IBB in the first place considering what the military did to his family-his mother was thrown from top floor of 3 storey building and never recovered from inury sustained while his brother Fela was severally brutalised by same set of military boys.
The crux of the matter is that he used his backing from the military authorities to introduce and foist doctors above other healthcare professionals in hospital administration.He replaced professionally trained and licensed hospital administrators with his fellow doctors simply because he is a doctor.He even made his brother Beko to head LUTH shocked shocked
He was warned against it but since he had the military behind him,he perpetuated this inustice for the long years he was minister of health(till date,he is still the longest serving minister of health).Several attempts to correct this had been severelly opposed by the maor beneficiaries of that obnoxious coup d'etat by Olikoye.Now he is gone,people are bearing the brunt of his ill-fated decision to follow larochial interest.Now the roof is coming down and everyone is going down with it unless the president quickly intervenene
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by otokx(m): 4:45am On Aug 25, 2013
cool
joshuapharm: Now what is a med doc looking for in NAFDAC??

food and drug administration can be headed by a pharmacist or a food specialist, so a doctor there may be a square peg in a round hole.

That aside people should respect and know the roles and hierachy in various professions.

Bad mouthing wont take many any where, the vice chancellor in a university must be an academic staff, the registrar an administrator, the bursar - an accountant who is a bursary staff. You can't see a professor of accounting get up and say he wants to be bursar - it does not work that way.

3 Likes

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by otokx(m): 4:48am On Aug 25, 2013
Lastly inasmuch as you may want to, the fact still remains that till date the best minister of health remains Olikoye Ransome Kuti - the peace of Allah be upon him. He took health care to the rural communities.
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by joshuapharm(m): 6:54am On Aug 25, 2013
otokx: cool

food and drug administration can be headed by a pharmacist or a food specialist, so a doctor there may be a square peg in a round hole.

That aside people should respect and know the roles and hierachy in various professions.

Bad mouthing wont take many any where, the vice chancellor in a university must be an academic staff, the registrar an administrator, the bursar - an accountant who is a bursary staff. You can't see a professor of accounting get up and say he wants to be bursar - it does not work that way.

For that reason, y can't sum1 else apart from a doctor lead the hospital or health ministry? It's not like there's direct patient responsibility here, it's an administrative post.
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 8:27am On Aug 25, 2013
otokx: cool

using your examples, Olikoye made it possible foe the registrar to become vice and chancellor and all registrars then Started insisting it's there sole and exclusive right to become VCs!
Before you knew it, professors of medicine turned the appointment as chief executive of teaching hospitals their birth rights abd will be collecting salary as professor and CEO of the institution at the detriment of the career officers of the institution he was not a even a full member of staff! What an anomalous chaotic situation instituted by Olikoye
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by nobaga: 9:02am On Aug 25, 2013
As I stated earlier, I disagree with the poster on Olikoye because I think he was the best thing or human that tried to correct the inadequacies in healthcare in Nigeria.

But hearing some say doctors are the best brains trained in everything show a bloated ego of someone. In the first place, medicine is only a first degree in Nigeria after high school. After saying that the training is rigorous and interns are used as slaves. In Nigeria, getting into medicine and specialties is not solely by brain but by whose children you are and who you know. So get off your high horse. If you have brains, you will not be in practical medicine hustling for money but in research.

Hospital administration is not medicine, again not medicine. But it does not mean once you are a doctor, you can not be an administrator. Get MPH, MHA or law and nobody will question your qualification.
Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by onomeasike: 11:09am On Aug 25, 2013
nobaga: As I stated earlier, I disagree with the poster on Olikoye because I think he was the best thing or human that tried to correct the inadequacies in healthcare in Nigeria.

But hearing some say doctors are the best brains trained in everything show a bloated ego of someone. In the first place, medicine is only a first degree in Nigeria after high school. After saying that the training is rigorous and interns are used as slaves. In Nigeria, getting into medicine and specialties is not solely by brain but by whose children you are and who you know. So get off your high horse. If you have brains, you will not be in practical medicine hustling for money but in research.

Hospital administration is not medicine, again not medicine. But it does not mean once you are a doctor, you can not be an administrator. Get MPH, MHA or law and nobody will question your qualification.

The public life of Olikoye is a good example of our one bad decision could destroy every otherwise good intention and sending doctors to rural posting still does not justify the coup.As regards what was stated by the uniport medical student, he could keep spewing that to deceive people who don't know that you can always take re-sit up to three times in medical school as a medical student while students are kicked out just on second attempt or cgpa less than 2nd class lower in pharmacy school even in 500 level! So while pharmacy weeds off those who cant cope with rigour of pharmacy school, medicine keep and accommodate otherwise weak students who will fail endlessly and eventually when they are released, they step out and start forming brainy? These Nigerian doctors like their president who God knows how many tons of resit he bagged in medical school are jokers, it becomes a joke taking too far when you attempt to make these kind of blackheads head of more intelligent, better-trained health professionals. Olikoye erred by foisting this legacy of incompetent poorly trained and arrogant usurpers on the Nigerian health firmament! Thank God, they have failed. I saw the minister of doctors struggling to tell Nigerians the truth that their game is up.He and the loquacious to NMA president could have kept on telling people the hospitals are in full operation.Nigerians now know better. Who is the boss?The era of hospital administration professionals is coming back.

1 Like

Re: What Was Olikoye Ransome-kuti Thinking? by Napoleondegreat: 1:57pm On Aug 25, 2013
PresidentT: This poster must be high on some cheap drugs. Do u have an idea what the mbbs and residency training entails? You are trained to be a university graduate, trained to be a clinical nurse, lab man, a pharmacist, a radiologist, optometrist ....... And an administrator before becomin a consultant. I understand ur position. You don't understand what u don't have a clue about.

Thank God you said a lab man and not a lab scientist. For as I know mbbs does not qualify anybody to be a medical laboratory scientist.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra: Soldiers Arrest Uwazuruike, 220 MASSOB Members / Your Actions Insulting, Deji Tells Igbo / Original Map Of Africa In 1827 Before Europeans Arrived- Biafra In The Map

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.