Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? (739 Views)

MFM Gives N91m To Members With First-Class / Church Leaders In Zimbabwe Blacklist T.B Joshua, Calling Him A Fake Prophet / Questions To Members Of The Reformed Ogboni Fraternity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by PHIPEX(m): 11:00pm On Aug 24, 2013
I have been pondering over this question for a very long time but in other not to be accused of "speaking against God's annointed" as some of my fellow christians are fund of saying I have not been able to voice it out until now.

As a member of a fellowship on campus when I was an undergraduate, the financial accounts of the fellowship were usually published and a copy given to every member of the fellowship at the end of every semester. This helps every member to know what his tithes, offerings and donation were used for and also help some curious students settle some questions they may have had about the funding of the fellowship.

This level of transparency which I noticed in the fellowship on campus seem to be missing in our mainstream churches. Our churches demand for offerings and donations (I see nothing wrong in that) which they use for the running of the church and business investments (e.g private primary, secondary schools and universities). But what I don't understand is why they do not remember to give account of their financial transactions to the members especially regarding the aspects that involves business investments. Now my questions are:

1. Is it wrong for the members to know the financial state of a church they belong to?
2. Since churches do not make declarations to the govt, is it impossible for our churches and pastors to render an annual financial account of how the money the members contributed for the furtherance of the Gospel were spent or are such reports meant for only few leaders?
3. Lastly, how does our churches numerous business investment benefit us as members of the church?

To the "touch not my annointed" crew, I hope it has not become a crime/sin to ask our annointed questions?
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by ezjen: 11:03pm On Aug 24, 2013
Abba father assembly for Jtown dey declare oooo...... pst egbby repping to the max! Anyway I don carry 1st ooooooooo! Choi.
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by alexleo(m): 11:18pm On Aug 24, 2013
Declaring it is not bad but it could be risky. It could attract the attention of robbers and kidnappers to the church especially if the income runs high. If they can make it in such a way that those who are interested in having a good detail of the church account can type in a code on the net and get the info, it wii be much better than the open declaration.
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by Tuntheycr7: 11:38pm On Aug 24, 2013
Some churches do this especially most orthodox churches either monthly, quarterly or anually bt aint sure of d pentecostal churches...
Perhapz u can ask ur pastor if u realy wana knw
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by tobechi74: 11:44pm On Aug 24, 2013
Themoney belong to God. How dare u give God money and ask hom to account for it?

Just jokinng.op i support u
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by infobiz9ja(m): 12:40am On Aug 25, 2013
If I hear say Oyedepo declare him asset.
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by CosmicJames(m): 12:49am On Aug 25, 2013
Declaring church account? Maybe not bad. Bt looking @ it with a biblical view, I think we shldn't b considering it as d bible is completely silent on such issues if I'm not mistaking.
I remember dat Judas was a treasurer dat was neva ask 2 declare d state of d apostle's account by Jesus Himself nor d apostles. Looks like d question of declaring financial account is nt important since d church is nt about profit n loss?
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by nora544: 8:27am On Aug 25, 2013
In my country the church must tell what they make with the money they get because they are a non profit organisation and every organisatio which in non profit has to make this, this is a law in my country and we give much to this non profit organisations every year.

When they get much money from a person they have to look if this money belongs real to this person, if not the non profit organisation will have much problems with the goverment.

In nigeria this new churches can make with the money what they get, what they want. No one will ask if the pastor buy his second car, if the pastor spent the money that he can fly shopping with his wife to london or fly to an other country with his girlfriend. No pastor will ask if the person who gives much money if it is his money or the money from the goverment what this person take that the pastor bless him because he is a big giver. No pastor will ask, because pastors see only the money and not from which pocket it comes.

That is why no pastor will ever want that the public knows where the money comes from what he gets.

You speak about corruption in nigeria, did you ask why it is so hight, because also pastors get much money from politicans who are corrupt.

In a contry where pastors preach and ask for more money this pastors will never want that the people of his church know what he makes with the money.
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by tobechi74: 8:55am On Aug 25, 2013
CosmicJames: Declaring church account? Maybe not bad. Bt looking @ it with a biblical view, I think we shldn't b considering it as d bible is completely silent on such issues if I'm not mistaking.
I remember dat Judas was a treasurer dat was neva ask 2 declare d state of d apostle's account by Jesus Himself nor d apostles. Looks like d question of declaring financial account is nt important since d church is nt about profit n loss?

may b he was told but it eas nt recorded.not everythinn must be writtn in bible
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 25, 2013
Cos nobody will get any return from the money in the first place.
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by PHIPEX(m): 9:57am On Aug 25, 2013
CosmicJames: Declaring church account? Maybe not bad. Bt looking @ it with a biblical view, I think we shldn't b considering it as d bible is completely silent on such issues if I'm not mistaking.

I don't think the Bible is completely silent on such issue. From the Old Testament we see several instances where materials donated by the members of the congregation were numbered and accounted for. From Moses in Exodus Chapter 38 down to the time of the kings. Even Judas must have given account of his holdings which made other Disciples realise that he (Judas) was a thief (John 12:6) otherwise how can they call him a thief if they didn't know what was supposed to be in the disciples/church's account?
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by tobechi74: 10:20am On Aug 25, 2013
Let me say they trust the pastors totally
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by nora544: 10:44am On Aug 25, 2013
tobechi74: Let me say they trust the pastors totally

A pastor is god, and that is the problem and it will not change until the christians understand that a pastor is a normal man and not a god.
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 25, 2013
If you know the amount in the account, you will stop giving offerings and paying tithe.
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by nora544: 11:02am On Aug 25, 2013
Worwor: If you know the amount in the account, you will stop giving offerings and paying tithe.

and he will not be able to keep his lifestil he has.
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by CosmicJames(m): 4:15pm On Aug 25, 2013
PHIPEX:

I don't think the Bible is completely silent on such issue. From the Old Testament we see several instances where materials donated by the members of the congregation were numbered and accounted for. From Moses in Exodus Chapter 38 down to the time of the kings. Even Judas must have given account of his holdings which made other Disciples realise that he (Judas) was a thief (John 12:6) otherwise how can they call him a thief if they didn't know what was supposed to be in the disciples/church's account?

Ok. Let say the Bible does not give directives regarding this issue which left this matter in the hand of church leaders/pastors whether to declear or not.
This issue appears to have no penalty attached proving it not to be an issue of importance in the christiandom.

Talking about giving account of physical donations in the old testa; I think the church of the new testa and church of 2day do give such account but the declaration of financial account is what you hardly found anywhere.
I still think this issue is of less or no importance since the church is not about profit and loss?
Re: Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? by CosmicJames(m): 7:26pm On Aug 25, 2013
PHIPEX:

Ok. Let say the Bible does not give directives regarding this issue which left this matter in the hand of church leaders/pastors whether to declear or not.
This issue appears to have no penalty attached proving it not to be an issue of importance in the christiandom.

Talking about giving account of physical donations in the old testa; I think the church of the new testa and church of 2day do give such account but the declaration of financial account is what you hardly found anywhere.
I still think this issue is of less or no importance since the church is not about profit and loss?

(1) (Reply)

Yes, its true, Tithe Works / Why Do Churches Give First Timers Food? / Why Is Homosexuality Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.