Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,368 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion (17355 Views)

130 Reps Sign Impeachment Notebook Over Police Interference / Yakubu Yusuf Rearrested Over Police Pension Scheme / Reps Threaten To Order Okonjo-iweala's Arrest Over Police Pension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 27, 2013
A 30-year-old commercial bus driver in Kaduna has killed himself leaving a note in which he said he decided to end his life over alleged police extortion.

Sunday Igwe took insecticide when he could not bear incessant police arrest and extortions, his suicide note revealed. Sunday was hired as a commercial bus driver by a man he named Henry in his letter.

In the note he said police arrested him on several occasions over alleged traffic offences but each time he was arrested, police demanded money from him.

A driver who would not want to be named said before Sunday took his life on Sunday; policemen in Sabon Tasha arrested him and detained his bus. They requested for N2, 000 from him to release the bus which he paid. Another group of policemen arrested him at Taiwo road over wrong parking two hours later and demanded for N2,000.

“He could not afford the money the policemen demand and left to inform the bus owner. The owner of the bus told him not to worry as they still stand a chance to collect the bus on Monday but he proceeded to his room located at No 27 school road Nasarawa in Kaduna South Local government, wrote the shocking note and took a local liquid insecticide popularly called Ota pia-pia that led to his death.”

A photocopy of the suicide note obtained by Daily Trust reads:

“Please Ozo, tell my Oga Henry to go and look out for his bus at the Police station. Tell him that am sorry for everything I have cost him let him forgive me. It is not my forth (fault). That is the way things should go. Let them look for my conductor so that they can go together to biel (bail) his bus and let them tell the police people what happened.
“After crying explend (explaining) everything to them but all their (they) need is money and I don’t have it let them come and take my cops and relies (release) someone bus for him. Anyway I have nothing against them and let them read this too. Thanks you Oga Henry bye.”

When our correspondent visited Igwe’s room, it was still emitting the smell of insecticides.

Chairman of Nasarawa branch, Nigeria Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) Kaura Abdullahi told Daily Trust that his Financial Secretary informed him on Sunday that one of their drivers was arrested by the police at Command Junction and collected N2,000 from him over wrong parking.

Daily Trust gathered that Sunday stayed for years without a job before he was employed as a bus driver.
His body was deposited at Dr Gwamna Awan General Hospital and hospital officials could not speak to our correspondent but said Sunday was Brought-In-Dead (BID).

When contacted, Kaduna police spokesman Aminu Lawan said they were investigating the matter.
“From what we have gathered, he was arrested because of road obstruction and the policemen demanded him to produce his papers and drivers license which he said he will bring. He left and did not return. We have the letter they said he wrote and its only investigation that will revealed whether he was the one that wrote it,” Lawan said.

On the allegation that the police received money from him while another group demanded N2,000 Lawan said they will investigate and ensure that culprits are brought to book.

http://dailytrust.info/index.php/news/4045-driver-takes-own-life-over-police-extortion
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 27, 2013
Huh! What a flimsy excuse to buttress his long planned agenda.

But come to think of it, Nigeria policemen can be so annoying at times, but nothing's worth it.
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by joannes7(m): 7:41am On Aug 27, 2013
the police action is undefendable; he's action is unexplainable. quit driving. it won't be easy getting something else,but it sure beats ending your life!
RIP all the same.

3 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 7:49am On Aug 27, 2013
bulls.hit, d guy wanted to die b4, but he suld hav ben more dramatic abot it, he suld hav, like set himself ablaze while he was ben arrested n d public!

6 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 27, 2013
d guy problm no be only police oo, I think d police jst complicated his alredy accumulated problems....no be everytime we go dey blame police abeg

7 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by DILLISH: 7:57am On Aug 27, 2013
I don't knw dis tin nw. I'm I sopose to blame or pity d guy? or shld I blame/praise police for thr action? a bit confused rite nw

let our ogas @ d top unravel dis tin wey aboki don giv us to solve, anyway RIP

1 Like

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Licensed2Kill(m): 8:03am On Aug 27, 2013
1001 to die and he chose this?
Well, i'd rather kill myself by myself than commit suicide.

8 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by deeptesting(m): 8:06am On Aug 27, 2013
I would have praised the Driver, if he had got a gun,proceed to the police station and gun down at least 5 police men before going down...He wasted his life,while the bandits are still at large to rob another innocent citizen who may end up taking his life in the comfort of his room with Ota pia pia...We should learn how to die for something and not dying for nothing.

32 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 8:09am On Aug 27, 2013
deeptesting: I would have praised the Driver, if he had got a gun,proceed to the police station and gun down at least 5 police men before going down...He wasted his life,while the bandits are still at large to rob another innocent citizen who may end up taking his life in the comfort of his room with Ota pia pia...We should learn how to die for something and not dying for nothing.
BOKO HARAM IDEAS.....U GET MIND OO!!

2 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by homesteady(m): 8:12am On Aug 27, 2013
Fake story!!
How will a bus driver kill himself just because of police oppression??

1 Like

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Tuntheycr7: 8:14am On Aug 27, 2013
thatz a FLIMSY excuse. RIP anyway
why cant he just quit?
mewa nsele ni ile yii ooo
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by DILLISH: 8:14am On Aug 27, 2013
in other news ASUU rejects FG offers; says strike must continue...

2 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Pataki: 8:17am On Aug 27, 2013
In a sane country, this driver would have been subjected to mental health check. Unfortunately, GEJ's administration does not care about Nigerians and it is not ready to curb the excesses of the police force which is under its control.

This driver has simply just been a suicide prone person. Shame that another life is lost needlessly in Nigeria due to the corrupt state of the society.

4 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 27, 2013
homesteady: Fake story!!
How will a bus driver kill himself just because of police oppression??
ITS STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION...MY NEBO WRKS @ D HSPITAL WHR D BODY WS KEPT... BUT HE DIDN'T SEE D SUICIDE NOTE, SO I CANT SAY FOR SURE IF HE COMMITED SUICIDE BCS OF POLICE OPRESSN.................D ONLY TIN WE KNW IS DT HE TUK OTA PIA-PIA
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Tolexander: 8:25am On Aug 27, 2013
Iriri aye!
Nkan n sele ni juniyan!
E ma ba wa kalo!

2 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:26am On Aug 27, 2013
Rubbish!
Looked like a fabricated script.
If this kinda thing really happen, that man is a frustrated something. Taking one's life over something like this just shows how some people no get mind.
This kinda story is not worth the FP.
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 27, 2013
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by deeptesting(m): 8:33am On Aug 27, 2013
dmalam:
BOKO HARAM IDEAS.....U GET MIND OO!!

I am tired of our police, in another news a police man is accused of killing a deejay in Lagos, what is the problem with them? Are they cursed or what? The worst of is that nobody is doing anything about it, other than the usual slogan that the culprit has been arrested and the matter is under investigation....I have lost count of how many innocent citizens that have been killed as a result of negligence of this men this year..What is accidental discharge? I wish God truly exists,if we as humans can feel so much pain in our heart about this injustice, how does he feel that he cannot come to the aid of the poor by bringing this pathetic world to an end...

1 Like

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 27, 2013
deeptesting:

I am tired of our police, in another news a police man is accused of killing a deejay in Lagos, what is the problem with them? Are they cursed or what? The worst of is that nobody is doing anything about it, other than the usual slogan that the culprit has been arrested and the matter is under investigation....I have lost count of how many innocent citizens that have been killed as a result of negligence of this men this year..What is accidental discharge? I wish God truly exists,if we as humans can feel so much pain in our heart about this injustice, how does he feel that he cannot come to the aid of the poor by bringing this pathetic world to an end...
NO TOO VEX ABEG BROS...WETIN U TOK NA TRUE SHA

2 Likes

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 27, 2013
Another victim of a dysfunctional country.

I would have said "RIP", but I don't know if that extends to suicide cases.
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by koolet: 10:25am On Aug 27, 2013
Haahahahaha

POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND.....

1 Like

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by koolet: 10:27am On Aug 27, 2013
Haahahahaha i laughedgrin

POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND.....

1 Like

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by israel007: 10:27am On Aug 27, 2013
Because of 'olokpak?

God forbid!
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 27, 2013
the police action is just like a fire on a gun powder,the guy is already frustrated,the police action only exploded the bottled frustration..RIP bro.
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by moscobabs(m): 10:28am On Aug 27, 2013
police again
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 10:29am On Aug 27, 2013
The fact is: they will still continue to extort
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Datruggedman: 10:29am On Aug 27, 2013
I 'd rather kill my self dan 2 commit sucide ;DI 'd rather kill my self dan 2 commit sucide

1 Like

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Anakin007(m): 10:34am On Aug 27, 2013
I wil rather kil my self than to commit sucide

1 Like

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by emmabest2000(m): 10:35am On Aug 27, 2013
Hmmm .....
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 27, 2013
Frustration @ work....This is really sad.
Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by 2ndChance: 10:36am On Aug 27, 2013
Suicide by anybody is unjustifiable for any reason whatsoever. I am with the police on this -if he obstructed traffic, he should be penalized within the ambits of the law. Since he felt taking his own life was better than answering to law enforcement agents, he should sort that out with his maker.

Winners never quit.
Quitters never win.

1 Like

Re: Driver Commits Suicide Over Police Extortion by Ayomax(m): 10:36am On Aug 27, 2013
frustration n depression at work. police men are hrtless n i dnt pity them if i hear any bad thing happening to them or their family, its the curse of the masses working. hope this man suicide will show them some ppl r emotional weak n can brk down easily.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benue May Cut Alignment With North Over Killings / "Defend Yourselves With Stones" - Governor Ortom / Moghalu Shuts Down Trade Fair Complex On A Short Notice Visit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.