Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,663 members, 7,823,879 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER (1000 Views)

Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock / What Is The Biggest Problem Facing Nigeria? / Describe Nigeria's Biggest Problem In One Word! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Matthewbriggs(m): 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2013
Not too long ago we witnessed firsthand the effect of Hunger and how much it can influence behavior. Nigerians in Diaspora and Nigerians in Nigeria engaged in an epic war of words. Nairaland internet servers stood still and the air was filled with an acrid smell of e-reputations been wounded in battle. It was an e-bloody sight to behold. Armed with memories of all this online bruahaha , My mind drooled into meditation mode, in that mode I pondered on what exactly is Nigerians ROOT problem. That has caused the ranting, whining and complaining that filled the air.

Is it Corruption, Bad governance,Absence of Security, Lack of infrastructure, Nepotism, tribalism, Poor educational systems and so on and so forth the list kept going on in mind. Immediately I felt hunger pangs down my tummy reminding me I have not eaten since the day before yesterday due to work related issues. My countenance changed. And all my energy, concentration and focus was directed toward getting fed, I was not just a HUNGRY man but an ANGRY man.

After getting fed, I was smiling to myself and it hit me like lighting that the desire to fill our most basic and important need "food", is a desire that cannot be unmatched, and failure to resolve it over a prolonged period can have deep psychological consequences.

With around 60% of Nigerians not sure of 3 quality square meals a day and the remaining 40% fighting tooth and nail for themselves and generation to come, to never go through the experience of hunger again. I have come to realize that Nigeria's root problem is none other than HUNGER. In fact the big 3 problems Corruption, Poverty & Bad Governance can all be traced to her. Reason been that Hunger when not resolved over a long period of time ushers in frustration. Frustration on it's own can re-engineer the mind of the sufferer making him/her one hell of a scheming beast.

When one is hungry or have the fear of hunger at the back of he's/her mind, one's sense of judgment is twisted. With a twisted sense of judgment, you pick up traits such as Corruption, Selfishness, greediness and other vices seeing them as normal all in a bid to resolve hunger. The problem is that even when you resolve hunger physically this trait get imprinted in one's DNA.

I have discovered that one of the core motivations that drives us a Nigerian is not the desire to change the world, make her a better place , or to influence positively the life our fellow man but the desire to overcome hunger. To never to feel hungry for food, power, respect, love, security and good health. To never feel lack.

Have you ever asked yourself why that policeman with 12kids that earns 19k a month seems to be addicted to your N20. Or that young unemployed graduate with a promising future decides to pick up arms and enter the underworld. Or that pretty young damsel from the village in a bid to help her poor family travels to Europe to ply the prostitution trade. Or the young boy decides to pull a mission impossible stunt by hiding in the wheels of an airplane thinking it was bound for the US. Or that young video vixen amidst several contestants with no shame decides to bare it all on satellite tv.

Have you wondered why that LGA chairman who rose from grace to grace will do whatever it take to divert fund meant for roads and infrastructure, saving it in a Swiss bank account for his unborn great grandchildren.
Hunger my friend is the culprit.

Hunger is like HIV virus. and just like the virus that morphs into Aids. Physical Hunger morphs and becomes a physiological One which in turn give room for a perfect breeding ground for vices such as corruption, bad governance, greediness, covetousness and selfishness and the likes. And Like AIDS, physiological hunger can be transferred from parent to child, from generation to generation and so the cycle continues.

In summary I have discovered a new strain of Hunger among Nigerians. This strain of hunger is quite stronger and difficult to control, it's boiling and spreading like wild fire. It's a type of hunger whose time has come.

This new strain is call THE HUNGER FOR CHANGE. It can be seen on twitter, on facebook on the threads of nairaland. This new strain of hunger is the one I was referring to when i began this piece.

This generation is one that is not just Hungry but Ripe for change.

My question is will you contribute your quota to fixing this hunger for change or or join the crying, bashing, whining, ranting and pity party that seem to rock the internet with tongues of fire.

Nigeria is in a mess, she is hungry for change. You are opportune to be born into at a very strategic period. Strategic in the sense that their is no better time to put down your name in the sands of time than now. Let's do the talk and pay the price. Lets do the hard work of fixing this nation. No matter how little or insignificant you think your effort is or the seemingly non cooperation of your fellow citizens.

I pray you don't seek the easy way out but chose to do the hard work of fixing this nation one step at a time

#Matthew Briggs

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Gudintent: 8:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
Signing up for change
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Caracta(f): 9:34pm On Aug 28, 2013
Hunger? Do rap*is*ts molest girls because they are hungry too? Hunger for sex, huh?
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 28, 2013
SMH@topic. Horrible! It produces anger that drives people to extreme.
Caracta: Hunger? Do rap*is*ts molest girls because they are hungry too? Hunger for sex, huh?
mail....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Confusionist(m): 9:53pm On Aug 28, 2013
Caracta: Hunger? Do rap*is*ts molest girls because they are hungry too? Hunger for sex, huh?
it looks like u got too much idle time at ur disposal by tryin to rebuff their claims!
You shld knw Nigerians are the best wen it comes to the issue of non_profound analysis!
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Caracta(f): 10:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
idnoble135: SMH@topic. Horrible! It produces anger that drives people to extreme.
mail....

Seen and replied
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 28, 2013
Caracta:

Seen and replied
cool
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Matthewbriggs(m): 7:33am On Aug 29, 2013

If you read my article indepthly you'll discover I am not implying that hunger is the cause of everything, but so many ills in our society is indirectly caused by hunger.

There are so many types of hunger but my focus was on Hunger for Food, fear of hunger and hunger for change.

Ps. I never Wrote that "Nigeria's only problem is hunger" instead "Nigeria's Biggest problem is Hunger" They are 2 different premises.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by saintneo(m): 8:13am On Aug 29, 2013
MB(Matthew Briggs), your analysis and resolution is invariably inexplicable topic to the hungry mind. For, if I must borrow the words of Neo of the Matrix movie; THE PROBLEM IS CHOICE.

Most Nigerians are not raised with choice...become an anomaly then you will be exterminated. But how can we accept that we can be DIFFERENT.

MB let me not deviate from your topic, I must say you did a good job, let's walk the talk.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Caracta(f): 8:16am On Aug 29, 2013
Matthew briggs:

If you read my article indepthly you'll discover I am not implying that hunger is the cause of everything, but so many ills in our society is indirectly caused by hunger.

There are so many types of hunger but my focus was on Hunger for Food, fear of hunger and hunger for change.

Ps. I never Wrote that "Nigeria's only problem is hunger" instead "Nigeria's Biggest problem is Hunger" They are 2 different premises.

I understand you.
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Kingspin(m): 8:42am On Aug 29, 2013
From hunger you get greed..our politicians are extremely hungry..
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by gal10(f): 12:24am On Oct 17, 2013
This long_overdue change begins with me!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by Kanwulia: 12:29am On Oct 17, 2013
Nigerians do not know how to relax and DE-STRESS! kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8266xTybUa8

No means of entertainment!

So-so WITCHCRAFT. . .and NEGATIVE THOUGHTS!

Tufiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakwa!!!

Competition and JEALOSY! cheesy

Make hunger kill una finish dia! Amen!!! kiss
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by chimex38: 1:17am On Oct 17, 2013
Re: Nigeria's Biggest Problem is HUNGER by cjrane: 2:20am On Oct 17, 2013
Matthew briggs: Not too long ago we witnessed firsthand the effect of Hunger and how much it can influence behavior. Nigerians in Diaspora and Nigerians in Nigeria engaged in an epic war of words. Nairaland internet servers stood still and the air was filled with an acrid smell of e-reputations been wounded in battle. It was an e-bloody sight to behold. Armed with memories of all this online bruahaha , My mind drooled into meditation mode, in that mode I pondered on what exactly is Nigerians ROOT problem. That has caused the ranting, whining and complaining that filled the air.

Is it Corruption, Bad governance,Absence of Security, Lack of infrastructure, Nepotism, tribalism, Poor educational systems and so on and so forth the list kept going on in mind. Immediately I felt hunger pangs down my tummy reminding me I have not eaten since the day before yesterday due to work related issues. My countenance changed. And all my energy, concentration and focus was directed toward getting fed, I was not just a HUNGRY man but an ANGRY man.

After getting fed, I was smiling to myself and it hit me like lighting that the desire to fill our most basic and important need "food", is a desire that cannot be unmatched, and failure to resolve it over a prolonged period can have deep psychological consequences.

With around 60% of Nigerians not sure of 3 quality square meals a day and the remaining 40% fighting tooth and nail for themselves and generation to come, to never go through the experience of hunger again. I have come to realize that Nigeria's root problem is none other than HUNGER. In fact the big 3 problems Corruption, Poverty & Bad Governance can all be traced to her. Reason been that Hunger when not resolved over a long period of time ushers in frustration. Frustration on it's own can re-engineer the mind of the sufferer making him/her one hell of a scheming beast.

When one is hungry or have the fear of hunger at the back of he's/her mind, one's sense of judgment is twisted. With a twisted sense of judgment, you pick up traits such as Corruption, Selfishness, greediness and other vices seeing them as normal all in a bid to resolve hunger. The problem is that even when you resolve hunger physically this trait get imprinted in one's DNA.

I have discovered that one of the core motivations that drives us a Nigerian is not the desire to change the world, make her a better place , or to influence positively the life our fellow man but the desire to overcome hunger. To never to feel hungry for food, power, respect, love, security and good health. To never feel lack.

Have you ever asked yourself why that policeman with 12kids that earns 19k a month seems to be addicted to your N20. Or that young unemployed graduate with a promising future decides to pick up arms and enter the underworld. Or that pretty young damsel from the village in a bid to help her poor family travels to Europe to ply the prostitution trade. Or the young boy decides to pull a mission impossible stunt by hiding in the wheels of an airplane thinking it was bound for the US. Or that young video vixen amidst several contestants with no shame decides to bare it all on satellite tv.

Have you wondered why that LGA chairman who rose from grace to grace will do whatever it take to divert fund meant for roads and infrastructure, saving it in a Swiss bank account for his unborn great grandchildren.
Hunger my friend is the culprit.

Hunger is like HIV virus. and just like the virus that morphs into Aids. Physical Hunger morphs and becomes a physiological One which in turn give room for a perfect breeding ground for vices such as corruption, bad governance, greediness, covetousness and selfishness and the likes. And Like AIDS, physiological hunger can be transferred from parent to child, from generation to generation and so the cycle continues.

In summary I have discovered a new strain of Hunger among Nigerians. This strain of hunger is quite stronger and difficult to control, it's boiling and spreading like wild fire. It's a type of hunger whose time has come.

This new strain is call THE HUNGER FOR CHANGE. It can be seen on twitter, on facebook on the threads of nairaland. This new strain of hunger is the one I was referring to when i began this piece.

This generation is one that is not just Hungry but Ripe for change.

My question is will you contribute your quota to fixing this hunger for change or or join the crying, bashing, whining, ranting and pity party that seem to rock the internet with tongues of fire.

Nigeria is in a mess, she is hungry for change. You are opportune to be born into at a very strategic period. Strategic in the sense that their is no better time to put down your name in the sands of time than now. Let's do the talk and pay the price. Lets do the hard work of fixing this nation. No matter how little or insignificant you think your effort is or the seemingly non cooperation of your fellow citizens.

I pray you don't seek the easy way out but chose to do the hard work of fixing this nation one step at a time

#Matthew Briggs

Excellent piece!
I think the Minister for Agriculture should tender his resignation immediately for woefully failing our country.

Inspite of huge resources committed by this country into agriculture in recent years, it is a scandal that Nigerians should still have to wrestle with hunger.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

. / Breaking News Rolling Stone Rochas APC Set To Bankroll APC In Anambra State... / Gov. Nyako, Supporters Set To Defect To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.