Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,556 members, 7,812,779 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons (3592 Views)

My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA / Two Female Immigration Officers Collapse On Parade Ground / Nigerian immigration service website. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by global07(m): 9:38am On Aug 29, 2013
It has become a permanent practice now at the Muritala Muhammed Airport Lagos now that if you are travelling out of the country and its your first time(Virgin passport), you must part away with some certain amount of money to the immigration officers at the Airport unless you are ready to miss your flight. This practice has been on now for years now mostly for young passengers to countries like, Russia,india,malaysia,south africa,italy to mention but a few.

Recently some passengers where turned back from JFK international Airport because one of the passenger refused to extend a hand of friendship to one of the Airport officials who scan your passport before you proceed to check in.
A message was sent from the officials here at our own Airport to JFK Airport and one getting to the USA, american immigration officers where already waiting.
The excuse they gave was that the guy who refused to give money at MMA caused a fight at the Airport. That was the reason that was give for turning back all the nigerians on the flight from Nigeria.

You maybe wondering if they had fake visa or they used someone else passport. 2 of the passengers have been to the USA before(last year with same valid visas) on trip all travelling documents complete.

So my people I guess we really need God intervention in Nigeria and its system

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by mutiply: 10:45am On Aug 29, 2013
Those immigration workers are more terrible than some of our supposed leaders, they harass travelers and ensure that they take a huge amount of money from them. A friend of miss his flight too cause he could not settle them.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by bellong: 11:34am On Aug 29, 2013
As much as I will not dispute the extreme corrupt practices of immigration and custom officials at the airport, how do you expect me to believe that bogus accusation of preventing entry to all Nigerians on a flight at the JFK because of the accusation against one person.

You need to come up with proof of this your allegation. We are used to complaining without action, what has the people in the scenario done to correct this anomaly? Does it mean there is nobody who can take the case up for the immigration official to prove his allegation?

As far as I know, the custom will not turn down everybody because of accusation against one with no cogent evidence or proof. Please do not let our hatred for the country degenerate into making unfounded allegations.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by Nobody: 12:07pm On Aug 29, 2013
I am a living witness to this useless act.I was a first time traveller going to greece in 2002 and the immigration officer collected 150dollars from me telling me I will not travel if I do not pay that money.imagine he was old enough to be my dad and if he could do this to me a teenager then he is a demon.God punish those people spoiling nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by mutiply: 1:02pm On Aug 29, 2013
bellong:
As much as I will not dispute the extreme corrupt practices of immigration and custom officials at the airport, how do you expect me to believe that bogus accusation of preventing entry to all Nigerians on a flight at the JFK because of the accusation against one person.

You need to come up with proof of this your allegation. We are used to complaining without action, what has the people in the scenario done to correct this anomaly? Does it mean there is nobody who can take the case up for the immigration official to prove his allegation?

As far as I know, the custom will not turn down everybody because of accusation against one with no cogent evidence or proof. Please do not let our hatred for the country degenerate into making unfounded allegations.
Talk is cheap. Its obvious you have not encountered any dubious practice from any commission or ministry. you sounding as if you don't know they various ways things are done in nigeria, the people don't have hope in the judiciary, the media has its own negative effects by not saying the real truth cause money will exchange hands, there is no hope Fø̲̣̣я̅ the common man, There is no point fighting those in power cause they have solid connections or Ogas as the case may be and you will never win them. Like they say, an injury to one is an injury to all.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by bellong: 1:56pm On Aug 29, 2013
^^^ Your response still did not answer the question I raised.

How can custom of a country turn back everybody on a flight because of the alleged offence of one? If that actually happened, it will be all over the news and a big deal. They didn't turn back only the offender but also every Nigerian on the flight, haba.. its too bogus an exaggeration...

There is nobody who have not experienced his/her own share of bad treatment from government officials, it is how you stand your ground that matters. If I am cheated, I do not complain, I deal with the situation. Saying it is hopeless is a defeatist statement.

For emphasis sake, I never disputed the corrupt action of immigration and custom officials at the MMIA but the event at JFK.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by global07(m): 2:15pm On Aug 29, 2013
bellong: ^^^ Your response still did not answer the question I raised.

How can custom of a country turn back everybody on a flight because of the alleged offence of one? If that actually happened, it will be all over the news and a big deal. They didn't turn back only the offender but also every Nigerian on the flight, haba.. its too bogus an exaggeration...

There is nobody who have not experienced his/her own share of bad treatment from government officials, it is how you stand your ground that matters. If I am cheated, I do not complain, I deal with the situation. Saying it is hopeless is a defeatist statement.

For emphasis sake, I never disputed the corrupt action of immigration and custom officials at the MMIA but the event at JFK.

If you have never had the experience then you ask people to let you know. This happened on the 8 of the month on the Royal air maroc flight from nigeria to JFK. I witness the argument and know the names of the officials who caused the issue and the victims was my blood. So I am not making up anu stories. Just trying to tell ppl like you to be wise anytime you intend to travel
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by Godson201333(m): 2:24pm On Aug 29, 2013
global07: It has become a permanent practice now at the Muritala Muhammed Airport Lagos now that if you are travelling out of the country and its your first time(Virgin passport), you must part away with some certain amount of money to the immigration officers at the Airport unless you are ready to miss your flight. This practice has been on now for years now mostly for young passengers to countries like, Russia,india,malaysia,south africa,italy to mention but a few.

Recently some passengers where turned back from JFK international Airport because one of the passenger refused to extend a hand of friendship to one of the Airport officials who scan your passport before you proceed to check in.
A message was sent from the officials here at our own Airport to JFK Airport and one getting to the USA, american immigration officers where already waiting.
The excuse they gave was that the guy who refused to give money at MMA caused a fight at the Airport. That was the reason that was give for turning back all the nigerians on the flight from Nigeria.

You maybe wondering if they had fake visa or they used someone else passport. 2 of the passengers have been to the USA before(last year with same valid visas) on trip all travelling documents complete.

I...If you are traveling for the first time,For sure you do not want your dream to get shattered away by demons/NIS.
2...If you are not from Lagos state then you are gonna fall for this trap.
3...If you didn't get your visa by yourself then they are gonna threaten you.
4..It also depends on your destination,If na places like Brazil,Malysia and more..They are gonna dis-respect you and think ya going there for fishy business and they will scam you with BTA palava,or ndlea clearance.

Ever since i started traveling through that airport,I never settled.

Traveling is all about smartness and also its education.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by bellong: 2:48pm On Aug 29, 2013
global07:

If you have never had the experience then you ask people to let you know. This happened on the 8 of the month on the Royal air maroc flight from nigeria to JFK. I witness the argument and know the names of the officials who caused the issue and the victims was my blood. So I am not making up anu stories. Just trying to tell ppl like you to be wise anytime you intend to travel

Bro, I am not disputing what happened but have objection to the fact that all the Nigerians on that flight were turned back based on the offense of one.

They may have told you that to cover up for why they deny them entry. You were not there with them at port of entry to ascertain the claim.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by global07(m): 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2013
bellong:

Bro, I am not disputing what happened but have objection to the fact that all the Nigerians on that flight were turned back based on the offense of one.

They may have told you that to cover up for why they deny them entry. You were not there with them at port of entry to ascertain the claim.

I called the US immigration to speak with my sister and her 2 year old baby. They were 4 nigerians on the flight. Why not go to royal air maroc airline and confirm.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by Naijalastborn(m): 3:02pm On Aug 29, 2013
Okay oo.. One day One day, Them go come challenge me oo.. No be for this Lagos!!! Smh. So many stupid things happen at MMIA..

Early this year I went their to pick someone from Abroad, where we packed a Car.. A security just approached and said "Hey you must pay before you go, we are the one in charge of here.." I didn't respond I told everyone to get in in the Car and let's go but to my surprise when I wanted to closed the Door of the Car, this Old man holded it again and threaten that if we didn't pay him. We won't leave here oo.. I was so annoyed " as a Lagos boi now, I come pick my phone, "Hello D.P.O, sorry for disturbing you, I know you must be sleeping but I need your help asap" before I finished that " Asap" The man has left without trace... MMIA is so Corrupt, so you just have to wise up....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by global07(m): 3:08pm On Aug 29, 2013
Godson201333:

I...If you are traveling for the first time,For sure you do not want your dream to get shattered away by demons/NIS.
2...If you are not from Lagos state then you are gonna fall for this trap.
3...If you didn't get your visa by yourself then they are gonna threaten you.
4..It also depends on your destination,If na places like Brazil,Malysia and more..They are gonna dis-respect you and think ya going there for fishy business and they will scam you with BTA palava,or ndlea clearance.

Ever since i started traveling through that airport,I never settled.

Traveling is all about smartness and also its education.
My friend,
Travelling out of the country with easy does not depend on your smartness or education.
You were just one of the lucky ones. I know someone who could not spell his name that travelled to malaysia with just 600$ instead of about 3000$. Without bribing a penny
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by EfemenaXY: 4:56pm On Aug 29, 2013
And the mud slinging continues.

I don't think it's fair to tar everyone with the same brush, irrespective of one's experiences with a particular officer at a particular time.

I travelled back home with my family and kids. On our way out, the officers were ever so nice! And I mean really nice. Both the males and females. Come to think of it, they didn't appear to be too keen to check our bags and suitcases as we were leaving. I even volunteered and told them I had 20kg of dried fish.

Guess what they said?

"Ah Madam, e be like say you just come here, come enjoy our country well-well!" grin grin

Now based on that singular experience, am I going to say all customs officers at the airports are angels? Of course not. So pls let's not generalise. Like in every other country, you've got the good folks, the bad folks and even the ugly, shady ones!

My two cents sha.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 29, 2013
global07:

Why do people like lieing like this. There is no direct Royal air maroc flight from nigeria to JFK. They would have had to transit through morocco or wherever. Are we to believe that they didn't send them back while transiting morocco? They had to wait for their JFK flight before alerting officials about the fight? Jeesh. This is just plain dumb. You can be turned back at the POE in yankee by the officers because entry is not guaranteed by a visa but this story is obviously a lie. Corruption exists at MMA and yes they take bribes but this story regarding JFK is a lie

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by global07(m): 8:26pm On Sep 01, 2013
A-town:

Why do people like lieing like this. There is no direct Royal air maroc flight from nigeria to JFK. They would have had to transit through morocco or wherever. Are we to believe that they didn't send them back while transiting morocco? They had to wait for their JFK flight before alerting officials about the fight? Jeesh. This is just plain dumb. You can be turned back at the POE in yankee by the officers because entry is not guaranteed by a visa but this story is obviously a lie. Corruption exists at MMA and yes they take bribes but this story regarding JFK is a lie

Whatever your name is I only wrote the to let ppl who have senses know what to do when leaving Nigeria. You that know it all what will make the immigration turn back someone who have been to the USA before with the same valid visa(mother and child). Where they stupid when they allowed them in the first time, which they spent just 3 weeks.
If you do not have facts to back what you are saying its best you shut up.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by otokx(m): 8:38pm On Sep 01, 2013
They are human beings - some good, some bad, some in between.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 01, 2013
A mixture. Some are angels, some are denons.

The females are so aggressive, as if they want to fight you. I remember one female officer threw a young mans passport across the airport because his luggage was half a kilo overweight. undecided

But I remember one man. An angel straight from heaven. He saw that we were carrying fish inside our bags and he said "don't you have any more food stuff to bring home". The way my mum jumped for joy.

"Nkechi, bring that sack of garri, make we carry am go London" grin grin
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by Nobody: 12:24am On Sep 02, 2013
global07:

If you need call credit just let me know. DELETED JFK immigration no. Flight AT 200. 9th Aug 2013 arrival time 17:15.
I hope you have the balls to verify.

Olodo. I don't need call credit. I live in the states. A visa does not guarantee entry to the United States. The officer at the POE determines whether you get in. Even if you've been to the United states a gazillion times, it makes no difference. If you committed an offence or immigration violation on your last visit, they can deny you entry. There are several reasons you can be denied. The reason you mentioned above is just bogus. The people that were denied entry know why they were denied entry and I GUARANTEE you it had nothing to do with MMA officials so quit spreading lies
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by global07(m): 8:19am On Sep 02, 2013
A-town:

Olodo. I don't need call credit. I live in the states. A visa does not guarantee entry to the United States. The officer at the POE determines whether you get in. Even if you've been to the United states a gazillion times, it makes no difference. If you committed an offence or immigration violation on your last visit, they can deny you entry. There are several reasons you can be denied. The reason you mentioned above is just bogus. The people that were denied entry know why they were denied entry and I GUARANTEE you it had nothing to do with MMA officials so quit spreading lies

Thank God you live in the states, so I guess the too much pre matured chicken you have eaten has blocked your thinking.
Explain the reasons why they can deny someone entry also explain the reason why on phone I was told that they was a misunderstanding in Nigeria.
The JFK officials na magicians.
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by Vicjustice: 10:51am On Sep 02, 2013
global07: It has become a permanent practice now at the Muritala Muhammed Airport Lagos now that if you are travelling out of the country and its your first time(Virgin passport), you must part away with some certain amount of money to the immigration officers at the Airport unless you are ready to miss your flight. This practice has been on now for years now mostly for young passengers to countries like, Russia,india,malaysia,south africa,italy to mention but a few.

Yes, there are corruptions and unprofessional behaviours at the airport, and yes, there are disgraceful activities and rampant gross misconducts at the airport, but this narration tale (about the incident at JFK) is utterly not credible, an absolute nonsense: only a naive person who has never left Nigeria will believe this crap.
OP, there is no need to fabricate false information
Re: Nigerian Immigration Officers At MMA Lagos,angels Or Demons by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 02, 2013
global07:

Thank God you live in the states, so I guess the too much pre matured chicken you have eaten has blocked your thinking.
Explain the reasons why they can deny someone entry also explain the reason why on phone I was told that they was a misunderstanding in Nigeria.
The JFK officials na magicians.

I won't bother explaining anything since you don't know how the system works. What I do know is that the story you posted is fabricated. The people that got denied entry know exactly why they were denied.

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Help(direction) On How I Will Travel From Anambra To Ilorin. / How To Move Permanently To Canada WITHOUT AN AGENT / Let's Tour Together For Holiday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.