Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Is The Use Of Musical Instruments In Worship Scriptural? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Use Of Musical Instruments In Worship Scriptural? (1339 Views)

What Is The Use Of Fasting,when God still Answer prayers with Full Stomach? / Quote Your Favourite Scriptural Verse Here / Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Use Of Musical Instruments In Worship Scriptural? by lahchi: 11:13am On Aug 29, 2013
This is part of the doctrinal issues that most people neglect, let's together look into the scripture to confirm if the use in the service been rendered to God is right.
I had a rational conclusion on the response I got from people who attend church worships where instruments are been used, the conclusion contained this perspective of how they see it which are:
1. David used harp and cymbals to praise God.
2. If you don't use instruments, everything would be boring.
1. Now let's First of all address the issue of David.
David did praise God with instruments, yes, "Psalm 33:2 Praise the Lord with the harp; Make melody to Him with an instrument of ten strings." but where and where did he use this? Was it recorded that it was used in a gathering of the Isrealites (Children of God)?
2. Concerning the boredom of the service, ask yourself this question, "Am I to give myself Pleasure or Glorify God according to His Word?
The truth about the use of instruments in worship according to what the Bible says, is we should praise God with our lips "Hebrews 13:15 Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name." Remember when Paul and Silas were in the Prison "Acts 16:25 But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them". Also some verses that referred to the saints praising God with their voice are "Ephesians 5:19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21 submitting to one another in the fear of God" and "Colosians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
N.B: The early christians were never said to have used musical instrument in worship rendered to God despite the availability of Harps, Organs and Cymbals and even Trumpets.
Please if you have any doubt as regards the topic or any other doctrinal issue like tithe, I would welcome questions or biblical facts.
Re: Is The Use Of Musical Instruments In Worship Scriptural? by lahchi: 11:55pm On Aug 29, 2013
The bible says "he who has ears let him hear." I am a member of the Church of Christ and am sending my greeting(Romans 16:16) to those who are ready to take the 5 steps (Hear, Believ, Repent, Confess and be Baptised) of salvation and added to the church by the Lord (Acts 2:47).
Re: Is The Use Of Musical Instruments In Worship Scriptural? by Dzany(m): 1:26am On Aug 30, 2013
the use of musical instrument in worship is not bad........

It's how you use it.......that matters!
Re: Is The Use Of Musical Instruments In Worship Scriptural? by lahchi: 5:01am On Aug 30, 2013
Dzany: the use of musical instrument in worship is not bad........

It's how you use it.......that matters!

Is that what the bible says? If your answer is yes, state the bible reference of where the Early Christians used musical instrument, remember harps, organs, trumpets, and cymbals where all available then.
Re: Is The Use Of Musical Instruments In Worship Scriptural? by otipoju(m): 9:12am On Aug 30, 2013
Bearing in mind that the Church is not the building itself but a gathering of the worshippers of God, your argument on the location that David used instruments to praise God will not hold water since God's prescense is in any place where two or three are gathered in Name.

Also since we ought to learn from biblical narratives, the blowing of horns and trumpets in the victorious march against Jericho is worth emulating.

The New Testament may have been silent on the use of musical instruments because that was not its focus and may have been taken for granted.

Let us even assume that they did not use instruments, it would be perfectly logical that a group that was facing intense persecution as evidenced by the killings of its members would naturally not want to draw attention and not use instruments.

And I still don't know where you expect Paul and Silas whose hands and legs were bound in chains in prison to have access to musical instruments.

Really what you are doing unknowingly is called eisegesis. A suituation where you have an already pre-concieved idea and you look for biblical verses to support them.And find them you will because the bible is like a horse that can be ridden in any direction. Satan used the same scriptures to try to manipulate or deceive Jesus. So let us all be careful.

If any church interpretes the scriptures to believe that using pleasant sounding instruments in worship is wrong let them also remember that they have no convincing proof where it is expressly stated that not using it is the right thing to do.

And that reminds me !!! If, When God brought Isreal through the sea of reeds, Maryam and co praised him with symbals and he did not smite them nor rebuke them for this who are we to to question God's taste in music.

If you give him sonorous acapella, that one too is nice. But if you blend am with talking drum I know sey God no mind. All na to the glory of God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Use Of Musical Instruments In Worship Scriptural? by lahchi: 10:56am On Aug 30, 2013
otipoju: Bearing in mind that the Church is not the building itself but a gathering of the worshippers of God, your argument on the location that David used instruments to praise God will not hold water since God's prescense is in any place where two or three are gathered in Name.

Also since we ought to learn from biblical narratives, the blowing of horns and trumpets in the victorious march against Jericho is worth emulating.

The New Testament may have been silent on the use of musical instruments because that was not its focus and may have been taken for granted.

Let us even assume that they did not use instruments, it would be perfectly logical that a group that was facing intense persecution as evidenced by the killings of its members would naturally not want to draw attention and not use instruments.

And I still don't know where you expect Paul and Silas whose hands and legs were bound in chains in prison to have access to musical instruments.

Really what you are doing unknowingly is called eisegesis. A suituation where you have an already pre-concieved idea and you look for biblical verses to support them.And find them you will because the bible is like a horse that can be ridden in any direction. Satan used the same scriptures to try to manipulate or deceive Jesus. So let us all be careful.

If any church interpretes the scriptures to believe that using pleasant sounding instruments in worship is wrong let them also remember that they have no convincing proof where it is expressly stated that not using it is the right thing to do.

And that reminds me !!! If, When God brought Isreal through the sea of reeds, Maryam and co praised him with symbals and he did not smite them nor rebuke them for this who are we to to question God's taste in music.

If you give him sonorous acapella, that one too is nice. But if you blend am with talking drum I know sey God no mind. All na to the glory of God.

If you think all am doing is called "eisegesis" as you call it, why was the book of ephesians 5:19 "19 speaking to one another in "psalms" and "hymns" and "spiritual songs", "singing" and making "melody" in your "heart" to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21 submitting to one another in the fear of God." One question "Why would we need instrument when the melody should be made in our heart?" and Colossians 3:16 "16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in "psalms" and "hymns" and "spiritual songs", "singing" with "grace" in your "hearts" to the Lord." written? They lead to the same point about the non use of instument.

N.B: Ephesians and Colossians contain the letter written to the Churches of Christ in Ephesus and Colossea respectively, two different congregations in two different community.

The bible says whatever has been written is enough so therefore we should not add or remove from it. The bible told us that the Early Christians were having divisions among themselves, did it apply to us now or where they given a doctrine different from ours? Let's not put our assumption to what the God has designed for Christianity for God's ways is not our Ways.
Re: Is The Use Of Musical Instruments In Worship Scriptural? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 21, 2019
Church of Christ people again with unnecessary argument. cool

(1) (Reply)

When Was Satan Cast Down From Heaven? / A Church Introduced POS Machine In Their Premises / T.B. Joshua Is Not Of Jesus Christ , Even His People Are Aware - George Essien

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.