Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! (1798 Views)

Wike Distributes Science Equipment, Materials To 247 Secondary Schools - Photos / PMB: The Dangers Of One-man-show - Steve Osuji (The Nation) / Power Supply Is Almost Constant In My Area. Why? What Happened?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 10:58am On Aug 30, 2013
Hi all,
Let me start by dwelling first on the non important!
for the sake of all those who comment on threads without reading and digesting the content in the context, and for all those who do have problems with simple comprehensions, this title is simply sarcastic.

Now, according to Urban Dictionary, sarcasm is "A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means. It often has the best comedic value."

Now, on the issue on ground!

Imagine this scenario, Mr . Obi is an average working class Nigerian, who for the past three years had witnessed little of no power supply in his neighborhood. He is among those very angry with the government for not providing electricity. Then one fateful day, he comes back from work only to meet "light". He sits down and watched AIT (he does not like NTA), after eating, he goes to bed. He wakes up only to discover that there is still power supply. He wonders what is "amiss"! He goes to work as usual, comes back and meets "light". haba!

He monitors it for one whole week, and confirms that the light is now constant, not just light but 247.

Then he waits for the end of the month, he receives his salary,

1. he buys an electrical kettle (imported) and pays outrightly
2. He makes a part payment for an electric cooker (imported) and asks for "book me down".
3. he renews cable TV service or buys a new decoder on "promo" (also imported).
4. He calls a technician to service his ac or if he does not have, will check the price of a new one (imported)
5. etc.

having fixed all things he desires, he now commends government for living up to expectations.

On the other hand, he is now spending more than before! Apart from the things he is buying, his utility bills will also increase! His expenditure has increased but his income has not. this is where the "danger" lies.

Mr. Obi is an individual but it also applies to a nation. 247 Power Supply will lunch a producing and exporting country to the greatest of heights. Unfortunately, Nigeria is an importing and a consuming economy! 247 Power Supply will ensure that we import more and consume more! It will make ensure that we spend more!

Now, have I said that 247 power supply is a bad thing? No and no and please no!
I am only saying that we should start thinking of what to do with it.
We should start thinking in terms of producing and exporting!
We should start thinking of industrialization!
That is the only way that 247 PS will be worth it.

Am I saying that leisure is not good? No and no and please no!
It is very true that "all work and no play will jack a dull boy" but I am equally saying that "all play and no work, will make jack a poor boy".

I hope I have communicated! or do have I still expect the e-stones to be hurled at me?
In that case, let me throw the first one at myself:

"At OP, you are very stupid, you must be mad, in fact you reason from your poo exit door! How can you say that 247 Power Supply, has danger? na wa ooo!"

To which I will simply reply, "I am very sorry for upsetting you, but please I did not say so and never will i say so"!

Cheers to all!

2 Likes

Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by njideoby(f): 11:28am On Aug 30, 2013
This in my humble opinion should go to the joke section. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by collynzo2(m): 11:31am On Aug 30, 2013
How is that sacarsm? You actually meant what you wrote and not the opposite.

2 Likes

Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by homesteady(m): 11:34am On Aug 30, 2013
OP made a lot of sense

1 Like

Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 30, 2013
homesteady: OP made a lot of sense

You pay electricity by what you consume, how can any sane human being leave his electrical appliances on while they are not in use...? plz take this to the Joke section just as someone have suggested...it makes no sense, or maybe you just want to create an avenue of argument
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 12:00pm On Aug 30, 2013
eddiebruk:

You pay electricity by what you consume, how can any same human being leave his electrical appliances on while they are not in use...? plz take this to the Joke section just as someone have suggested...it makes no sense, or maybe you just want to create an avenue of argument

I am sorry to say this: you are out of point!

I don't know where you got the bolded from because it was not anywhere in my post.
My subject matter is this:
We want 247 Power Supply and for what?
Majority of the populace are not going to use it for production, they are going to use it only for "consumption"!
We are going to purchase all manner of electrical/electronics systems and gadgets (imported) and all will be for relaxation. Then, the systems and the gadgets will further take their own share of our income because they will consume power. In the end, more expenditure while income does not increase!

Now, I am saying that we as a people should start thinking of how to use electricity to increase our productivity so we can increase our income!

If you think the post is senseless, I respect your opinion!

2 Likes

Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by patrkq(m): 12:25pm On Aug 30, 2013
Yaa.. I get wer u ar coming from
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 30, 2013
arm4u:

I am sorry to say this: you are out of point!

I don't know where you got the bolded from because it was not anywhere in my post.
My subject matter is this:
We want 247 Power Supply and for what?
Majority of the populace are not going to use it for production, they are going to use it only for "consumption"!
We are going to purchase all manner of electrical/electronics systems and gadgets (imported) and all will be for relaxation. Then, the systems and the gadgets will further take their own share of our income because they will consume power. In the end, more expenditure while income does not increase!

Now, I am saying that we as a people should start thinking of how to use electricity to increase our productivity so we can increase our income!

If you think the post is senseless, I respect your opinion!

Not just for relaxation sir, with constant electricity, there will be more use of electric stove in cooking, and preservation, as well as reduction in demand for Petroleum products, you do not expect every citizens to go into production just because there is constant electricity, how about our industries that need constant electricity in other to keep functioning, have you thought about the functionality of rail ways systems that needs constant electricity for its operation, really because of this irregular supply of electricity so many things will not be able to function to make the human life easier, your close circuit television needs electricity, your Traffic needs constant Electricity, your Automatic motor system, parking and gate systems needs constant electricity, you cannot base your assumption on just the life of a lower class citizens because one way or the other it will definitely have an impact positively.

1 Like

Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by MAYOWAAK: 12:42pm On Aug 30, 2013
Poster,Your argument is so parochial.What about artisans who have been turned to emergency okada riders because of epileptic power supply?e.g barbers,tailors etc

Manufacturing companies that have been shut down leading to mass downsizing of workers.The positive implication of regular supply in this regard outweigh the consumerism disposition of Nigerians.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 12:52pm On Aug 30, 2013
eddiebruk:

Not just for relaxation sir, with constant electricity, there will be more use of electric stove in cooking, and preservation, as well as reduction in demand for Petroleum products, you do not expect every citizens to go into production just because there is constant electricity, how about our industries that need constant electricity in other to keep functioning, have you thought about the functionality of rail ways systems that needs constant electricity for its operation, really because of this irregular supply of electricity so many things will not be able to function to make the human life easier, your close circuit television needs electricity, your Traffic needs constant Electricity, your Automatic motor system, parking and gate systems needs constant electricity, you cannot base your assumption on just the life of a lower class citizens because one way or the other it will definitely have an impact positively.
patrkq: Yaa.. I get wer u ar coming from

Your points are all in order but you seem not have grasped my view point!
You are writing as I am saying that we don't need constant electricity.

Check around and see:
most of the shoes, cloths, bags, etc are all imported.
Even rice is imported! And do we need electricity to produce rice, corn, beans, etc.
Let me even leave out our technologically based products!

We are yet to have the industrialization/production mentality!
Our mentality is more of what to import and consume than what to produce and export.
I am only calling for a change of mentality: a mentality that will get us to start thinking like the Chinese.
A mentality that will see us maximize the use of electricity.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 1:06pm On Aug 30, 2013
MAYOWAAK: Poster,Your argument is so parochial.What about artisans who have been turned to emergency okada riders because of epileptic power supply?e.g barbers,tailors etc

Manufacturing companies that have been shut down leading to mass downsizing of workers.The positive implication of regular supply in this regard outweigh the consumerism disposition of Nigerians.

It will surely help all those you mentioned!
yet, I am talking about a general mentality in Africa!

247 Power Supply will go a long way to increase productivity for those who are into production!
The question is: what percentage of our populace are into production? What percentage are thinking about it?

Industrialists are too few when compared to the population! Like I said, our general mentality is to

"import and consume" and not to "produce and export". Over here, we are struggling so much, to make money so we can "import" what we need, while nations like China are struggling also, but struggling to see what they can "export".

I am saying that our mentality as a people should shift from importation and consumption to production and exportation. This is the heart of the matter! That we should start thinking of maximizing the availability of 247 PS when ever we have it.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by collynzo2(m): 1:30pm On Aug 30, 2013
arm4u:

Your points are all in order but you seem not have grasped my view point!
You are writing as I am saying that we don't need constant electricity.

Check around and see:
most of the shoes, cloths, bags, etc are all imported.
Even rice is imported! And do we need electricity to produce rice, corn, beans, etc.
Let me even leave out our technologically based products!

We are yet to have the industrialization/production mentality!
Our mentality is more of what to import and consume than what to produce and export.
I am only calling for a change of mentality: a mentality that will get us to start thinking like the Chinese.
A mentality that will see us maximize the use of electricity.
Your argument is a very narrow one. To produce rice in commercial quantities, you need mills and mills need electricity to function. You will be surprised at the amount of manufactured products we export to some of our neighboring countries who always boast of having more regular electricity than us. Our productivity will only get better with constant electricity. Those people you think will only use electricity for relaxation will get used to the constant power supply with time and find something better to do with it. If you think all those shoes, bags etc. you mentioned do not need electricity to be produced in large quantities, you are making a huge mistake.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by BabaEleko(m): 1:30pm On Aug 30, 2013
Abeg my karozin don finish for house na who get light for dia house make I boil hot water takebmake eba one time.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by bodee(m): 1:38pm On Aug 30, 2013
@OP,you are very creative and funny. front page pls
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 30, 2013
Have you thought that Mr obi no longer has to spend from his income to buy kerosene to use in his lamp ?

Mr obi no longer has to buy fuel from his little income

Mr obi no longer has to spend up to 200 naira at soccer viewing centers every week

Mr obi no longer has to battle with mosquitoes and malaria as much as he used to

Mr obi no longer has to pay 50 naira to charge his phone daily

Mr obi can now barb his hair at home with his personal clipper for up to 5 years instead of barbing and shaving at seun's barbing saloon with 200 naira weekly

Think outside the box son

you think like it's end time

end time things sha undecided
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by Osgilliat(m): 3:02pm On Aug 30, 2013
@ op you tried but you aint thinking out of the box..constant electricity in nigeria will bring about so many thing u can never think of...like the importation of generator will decrease, industries will be introduced. .fuel consumption will deplete, standard of living will be better, okada riders will be back to their work for those who are into iron construction, tailoring etc even frozen food seller income will high..bcose no more buying of fuel...manufacturers will pay their workers more bcose no more buying fuel....
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by slimming: 3:02pm On Aug 30, 2013
Danger of watching Nollywood film while you supposed to be out there working.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by Abbey2sam(m): 3:05pm On Aug 30, 2013
I thought you just defined sarcasm?
Or is your write up the new definition for sarcasm?

End time tinz sha
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 3:25pm On Aug 30, 2013
collynzo2: Your argument is a very narrow one. To produce rice in commercial quantities, you need mills and mills need electricity to function. You will be surprised at the amount of manufactured products we export to some of our neighboring countries who always boast of having more regular electricity than us. Our productivity will only get better with constant electricity. Those people you think will only use electricity for relaxation will get used to the constant power supply with time and find something better to do with it. If you think all those shoes, bags etc. you mentioned do not need electricity to be produced in large quantities, you are making a huge mistake.

The bolded has attracted my attention: I am saying there is need for a national consciousness of "doing something better with electricity". We should start thinking of how to maximise it even before it arrives. The rest of your points are mere misunderstanding of my position.

What if I tell you now, that my original post only used "247 PS" to buttress the point of changing our mentality from that of importing to that of exporting? Else, my concern has nothing to do with electricity.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 3:30pm On Aug 30, 2013
Imanuelle: Have you thought that Mr obi no longer has to spend from his income to buy kerosene to use in his lamp ?

Mr obi no longer has to buy fuel from his little income

Mr obi no longer has to spend up to 200 naira at soccer viewing centers every week

Mr obi no longer has to battle with mosquitoes and malaria as much as he used to

Mr obi no longer has to pay 50 naira to charge his phone daily

Mr obi can now barb his hair at home with his personal clipper for up to 5 years instead of barbing and shaving at seun's barbing saloon with 200 naira weekly

Think outside the box son

you think like it's end time

end time things sha undecided

The National consciousness in China is to produce and export.
That nation can never be poor as long as they continue with that mentality.
My post is a call for such consciousness!
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2013
Osgilliat: @ op you tried but you aint thinking out of the box..constant electricity in nigeria will bring about so many thing u can never think of...like the importation of generator will decrease, industries will be introduced. .fuel consumption will deplete, standard of living will be better, okada riders will be back to their work for those who are into iron construction, tailoring etc even frozen food seller income will high..bcose no more buying of fuel...manufacturers will pay their workers more bcose no more buying fuel....

fine and good!

My post is nothing else but for us to create the consciousness in our nation that constant power supply is an occasion for industrialization, productivity and even exportation for national economic growth!

go back and read the post again this time more carefully.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 3:38pm On Aug 30, 2013
Abbey2sam: I thought you just defined sarcasm?
Or is your write up the new definition for sarcasm?

End time tinz sha

My post on the face value might appear as if it is against the 247 PS.
But it is not!

It is a wake up call to all of us, that to whom much is given, much is required
247 PS will put a demand on all of to be more productive!
We should be prepared for it!
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 3:46pm On Aug 30, 2013
Baba_Eleko: Abeg my karozin don finish for house na who get light for dia house make I boil hot water takebmake eba one time.

hahahaha!

thanks for your contribution my brother!
Yours might seem funny, but you it has added some tunic.

Now, I am saying that rather than be thinking about the "light" as a solution to making eba, start seeing "light" in a different perspective. Light can do much more than making of eba.

Start thinking of using electricity to "fry garri". That is, start thinking in this wise: "how can I use electricity to produce garri in commercial quantities?

This is what this thread is all about.

It is unfortunate that most of the people here are just commenting out of point!
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 30, 2013
When the Constant Electricity comes, we will cross that bridge...even a blind man knows what to do with money.

1 Like

Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by fr3do(m): 4:10pm On Aug 30, 2013
You have been so deprived to the extent that you think you deserve your deprivation.
Electricity isnt a luxury,it is a necessity.
Think about Nkechi a hair dresser trying to make ends meet,she spends a huge part of her makings on petrol to power her hair driers.
Shop owners and refrigerators
barbers and clippers...

Countless companies have moved from Nigeria to Ghana due to unstable power supply.
Electricity drives industrialisation
not the other way round.

But I must confess the light situation has improved,atleast in Benin where I school.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by fr3do(m): 4:15pm On Aug 30, 2013
eddiebruk: When the Constant Electricity comes, we will cross that bridge...even a blind man knows what to do with money.

grin a blind man wouldnt pay for cable.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 30, 2013
fr3do:

grin a blind man wouldnt pay for cable.

You no know say DSTV get Radio stations...?
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by albsimeon(m): 4:42pm On Aug 30, 2013
Oga, you don't ve to teach anyone how to make a good use of the regular power supply- we all know. 80% of nigerians have one handwork or the other but left them because of high running cost of fuel. Even, those underemployed ll leave those starving jobs and face thier businesses. Let that time comes and you ll see that we are not lazy but hardworking and creative.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by HezronLorraine(m): 5:00pm On Aug 30, 2013
Hmm.
Okay.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by dridowu: 5:44pm On Aug 30, 2013
Hmmmmm mod shd just move ds shit to joke section, well ur write is good . The Mr A that is buying different electrical gadjet will surely buy according to his purse and if he does not buy according to his purse then in less than 3months after d power is 247, nobody will teach him what to do.
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 5:51pm On Aug 30, 2013
albsimeon: Oga, you don't ve to teach anyone how to make a good use of the regular power supply- we all know. 80% of nigerians have one handwork or the other but left them because of high running cost of fuel. Even, those underemployed ll leave those starving jobs and face thier businesses. Let that time comes and you ll see that we are not lazy but hardworking and creative.

I am talking about handwork of head dressing, barbing, etc. I am talking about industrilisation!

I am talking produsing hair driers, clippers, cell phones, etx. If Chian can do it, so we can!
Re: The "Dangers" Of 247 Power Supply! by arm4u: 5:55pm On Aug 30, 2013
eddiebruk: When the Constant Electricity comes, we will cross that bridge...even a blind man knows what to do with money.

the average African thinks of what he will buy with any money tnat enters his hand. This is what we are campaigning against. So many of our corrupt leaders have access to good money, what have they done with it? Our consciouness is not yet producing, we are more of consumers. This is why majority of our graduates are jobless.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amaechi Distorting Facts Over Soku Oil Wells, Says Bayelsa / Ohakim Regrets His Actions As Governor / India's Spacecraft 'mangalyaan' Successfully Enters Mars Orbit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.