Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival (16471 Views)

Africa's high coiffure: Shocking And Beautiful Hairstyles / Creative/funny Hairstyles(pictures) / Barber's Shop: The Gallery For Men Hairstyles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by Caracta(f): 9:52pm On Aug 30, 2013
seedord247:

so Jesus is the only gateway to Heaven?

FIXED! cheesy
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by koolet: 9:55pm On Aug 30, 2013
Wia is the DICK
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:02pm On Aug 30, 2013
Ibyno: Let's bring back our culture, Let's bring back our culture, Let's bring back our culture,

This is religion son. not culture.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:03pm On Aug 30, 2013
SPEED5:

But u have been opportuned to know him. Do u prefer to go to hell

stop black mailing my people you half-bred.

we bliv in re-oncarnation. not heaven/hell. heaven/hell can be made only on Earth.

1 Like

Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by seedord247(m): 10:20pm On Aug 30, 2013
Caracta:

FIXED! cheesy

cry
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by comrChris(m): 10:20pm On Aug 30, 2013
hmm not surprise,l saw tins last tym l visited ado ekiti,der wz dis programme dat hosted women 4rm al deir 16 lgs,omo if u c wat dis womens did some performing wit fire on deir head
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by macof(m): 11:15pm On Aug 30, 2013
twinstar210: Lord have mercy.singing only one way to heaven n Jesus is d only true way.

Reverend thank you. But if so dat means all muslims, jews, buhdist, Hindu etc go to hell
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by sweetBummsy(f): 11:19pm On Aug 30, 2013
End tym tinz..
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by mediachirps(m): 11:20pm On Aug 30, 2013
well, thanks God you realized they river goddess worshippers. just more like man maids.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:30pm On Aug 30, 2013
mediachirps: well, thanks God you realized they river goddess worshippers. just more like man maids.

talking about man-made, your bible was written by a man. man-made book.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by Nobody: 11:42pm On Aug 30, 2013
Ibyno: Let's bring back our culture, Let's bring back our culture, Let's bring back our culture,
ed

I think its wonderful to celebrate the beauty,elegance and artistry of Nigerian woman's hairstyles. All ETHNIC GROUPS are blessed with these stunning styles, and this is a lovely thing that we have in common no matter the ethnic group. Our hair is versatile and stunning like a sculptured tapestry; designed like crowns and is not moved by the wind.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by crackhouse(m): 11:50pm On Aug 30, 2013
out of three hundred thousand, u were able to capture just the few people?
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by GooseBaba: 11:51pm On Aug 30, 2013
Africa my Africa.... !!! The Gods must be praised and questioned at the same time. Why dem let foreign gods reign supreme on their territory...
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:01am On Aug 31, 2013
GooseBaba: Africa my Africa.... !!! The Gods must be praised and questioned at the same time. Why dem let foreign gods reign supreme on their territory...

The Gods are Spiritual Forces and not humans to interfere directly in human affairs. You cannot expect the Gods to take revenge for you. The Gods are for everyone.It is just that we know them by our version of names.
In our case there were many playing factors involved. It is too complex a situation.

However that there are many Gods is an established fact.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 31, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

The Gods are Spiritual Forces and not humans to interfere directly in human affairs. You cannot expect the Gods to take revenge for you. The Gods are for everyone.It is just that we know them by our version of names.
In our case there were many playing factors involved. It is too complex a situation.

Pagan...
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by GooseBaba: 12:17am On Aug 31, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

But man made gods do interfere for his believers. I believe in the sanctity of spiritual forces within the universe. If the babalawos and priest can invoke the wrath/blessing of the African gods for personal or societal interference. Then they must be able to question them why they allowed such to happen in their territory. If they can ask for sacrifice, worship and obedience. Then they can be questioned. Abi is there something else about these forces..?
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:26am On Aug 31, 2013
GooseBaba:

But man made gods do interfere for his believers. I believe in the sanctity of spiritual forces within the universe. If the babalawos and priest can invoke the wrath/blessing of the African gods for personal or societal interference. Then they must be able to question them why they allowed such to happen in their territory. If they can ask for sacrifice, worship and obedience. Then they can be questioned. Abi is there something else about these forces..?

Yes ofcourse they interfere with believers. What do you think do we pray and sacrifice and conduct rituals for LOL.

note I said they do not interfer "Directly" , but they do interfere indirectly in the aforementioned ways. The way some of you people are suggesting is as if the Gods should all descended and with one mighty sweep of their arm, just destroy all the european colonizers. No it does not work that way.

In Paganism, Gods are Spiritual Forces. they are like the energy and life-breath of the material Universe. They are not human-like figures sitting in an imaginery throne in heaven like in abrahmist religions (islam/xtianity).
However dont let that lower your imagination and expectation of The Gods. The throne of the Gods is one higher than any heaven for it is present at every point.

The ways of the Gods are very complex. Had it been simple, then the vast array of complexities around us would never have been possible.

Note it all depends on situation, mode and context. The Gods are Spiritual Forces, i,e., they just provide the push or as we say in Hausa "winds" (like winds of change), that can change the course of things.

However this depends on our personal will and work-effort as well. If we do not sacrifice our effort, how do you expect the Gods to complete their task. Our efforts were very scattered, we had traitors amidst us, many of us didnt even bother abou the europeans until it was too late. There was no "ONE CONCISE UNITED EFFORT".

so as I said, this and many other factors were at play. The Africa situation was not so easy that a toddler could understand it. There is no such thing as "AFRICAN PEOPLE". Africa is a land of diverse tribes and interests. Therefore you cannot expect the winds to flow in one direction only.

Dont expect the Gods to always favour good. The Gods only strike to maintain a balanced system. However in our case, the europeans were creating the unbalance so this case is for debate.

2 Likes

Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by Cestmoi1(f): 12:29am On Aug 31, 2013
cool hairstyles.love d hairstyle on that old woman in the last pic.

1 Like

Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by omobadan(m): 12:52am On Aug 31, 2013
It's funny how we're calling our culture & tradition evil. Are you people serious? Have you been so brainwashed to look down on your own existence? I don't usually attack the two main religions in Nigeria - Christianity & Islam. But some of the comments here have shown how damaging following those religion have done to our psyche. They post some pics of Osun Osogbo Festival & you dey quote bible verses. I shake my head for our people o! undecided

5 Likes

Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by GooseBaba: 12:54am On Aug 31, 2013
@PAGAN 9JA

As mention before there are forces at play within the universe that we cannot comprehend within the writings of men. However, forces that we consider foreign seems to undermine the sanctity of that which we call our own. Is it that our own forces embrace stagnation or these forces just like to be bullied by foreign forces. I say this with utmost respect for African deities. But one has to wonder...what is their game plan or their selling point.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by salt1: 7:37am On Aug 31, 2013
omobadan: It's funny how we're calling our culture & tradition evil. Are you people serious? Have you been so brainwashed to look down on your own existence? I don't usually attack the two main religions in Nigeria - Christianity & Islam. But some of the comments here have shown how damaging following those religion have done to our psyche. They post some pics of Osun Osogbo Festival & you dey quote bible verses. I shake my head for our people o! undecided

If the post had been about the rich cultural hairstyles of Osun people, we would have admired it and moved on. But the poster said it was for worshippers of a river goddess.
@pagan Nija, I admire your eFfort at promoting your cause but I can't share your convictions: I can't worship the deities that my ancestors worshipped. Their demands were atrocious:
1.Human sacrifice including twins/triplets, breach births and pretty virgins
2.Segregation and isolation of women. Women and children had no access to those phallucentric gods
3.Animal sacrifices and curios like cowries, tortoise, manilla and lizards
4. Elaborate rituals often done in the dead of the night
5. Instant judgement for violating code of conduct, not administered by him but by his acolytes. The gods were very wicked and vindictive. Maybe your Hausa deities were kinder.
What did the ardent worshippers get in return? Betrayals, hopelessness and despair! The gods didn't stop neighbouring villages from conquering the others, didn't stop white intruders, didn't cure diseases or give the people the wisdom to do so.
Do you blame us for porting to something better that works? The Christian God offers ALL free access to His mercy obtained through prayer, gives assurance for present needs and tops it all with a grand promise of an eternal habitation!
If that is a lie, I will rather stick to such a beautiful lie than go looking for a female turtle to give to my late great-grandmother!

1 Like

Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by antartica(m): 8:30am On Aug 31, 2013
twinstar210: Lord have mercy.singing only one way to heaven n Jesus is d only true way.

Ode.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by Chiopatra: 9:50am On Aug 31, 2013
Ugly hairstyles undecided
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 31, 2013
Using chemicals to straighten our hair, and pulling it continually with Long weaves can cause African hair too look ugly.
We should TRY and embrace our own beauty and culture sometimes and use what God gave us!

1 Like

Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 31, 2013
See the results of chemicals and too much weaves !
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 31, 2013
With traditional styles you cant go wrong

1 Like

Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:05pm On Aug 31, 2013
GooseBaba: @PAGAN 9JA

As mention before there are forces at play within the universe that we cannot comprehend within the writings of men. However, forces that we consider foreign seems to undermine the sanctity of that which we call our own. Is it that our own forces embrace stagnation or these forces just like to be bullied by foreign forces. I say this with utmost respect for African deities. But one has to wonder...what is their game plan or their selling point.

Exactly. In Paganism, writings are just treated as opinions and treatises. nothing more. they are not necessary. they are just like opinionated guidelines.

THe point is that the Higher Forces are not here to sell themselves. They are just there. Existing. Some acknowledge them. SOme don't. You won't find a Pagan version of a God saying "I am a jealous God", or "Everyone must follow me or go to hell."

No. It is us humans (xtian/muslim) who have started or as in the case of Pagans today, are "forced" to sell our version of worship as what I'm doing now. I really have no need or gain to do this.

However since the day the abrahamists have introduced proselytization and forced conversion and disrupted the Universal Natural Order of Worship (Paganism/Animism), since that day the balance has been broken, and it is the duty of every right thinker to strive to bring the world back to equilibrium as it once was.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:21pm On Aug 31, 2013
salt 1:

If the post had been about the rich cultural hairstyles of Osun people, we would have admired it and moved on. But the poster said it was for worshippers of a river goddess.
@pagan Nija, I admire your eFfort at promoting your cause but I can't share your convictions: I can't worship the deities that my ancestors worshipped.

Speak For Yourself. The days of christianity's arrogant monopoly and bullying attitude are coming to an end in Nigeria.

Their demands were atrocious:
1.Human sacrifice including twins/triplets, breach births and pretty virgins

Its a lie and a myth. The only evidence we have is from a colonial "christian missionary" mary slessor with regards to a small section of the Ijaw people called the "Kalabari". Now the question remains, are you Calabari?

2.Segregation and isolation of women. Women and children had no access to those phallucentric gods

Bullsh!t. Many Priestesses in HAusa and Yoruba religions are women.
And among other tribes women do sacrifice fowl and items to the Gods.

3.Animal sacrifices and curios like cowries, tortoise, manilla and lizards

So whats wrong with that? These are domestic animals that are sacrificed. Are you telling me you are a vegetarian?

and whats wrong with cowries, tortoise ,etc. THat is the beauty and naturality of our religions. It is close to Gods' creations.

4. Elaborate rituals often done in the dead of the night

Depends. If you don't want to do it at night, you can skip. Hwoever I don't see the point. Again that is the bauty of worship.

5. Instant judgement for violating code of conduct, not administered by him but by his acolytes. The gods were very wicked and vindictive. Maybe your Hausa deities were kinder.

SO for bringing forth justice, you are accusing our Gods of wickedness abi?

You can stay in your corrupt muck situation then.

and not all Gods are wrathful btw.

What did the ardent worshippers get in return? Betrayals, hopelessness and despair! The gods didn't stop neighbouring villages from conquering the others, didn't stop white intruders, didn't cure diseases or give the people the wisdom to do so.

Now this is the excuse I hear everywhere.

I am not going to repeat it again. Please review the above discussion between me and GooseBaba.

and so you will just submit to the enslavers without any effort of your own WHat kind of bullsh!t argument is this?
This is like saying, you will let yourself get molested because your friends nearby didnt come to your aid. angry

Do you blame us for porting to something better that works? The Christian God offers ALL free access to His mercy obtained through prayer, gives assurance for present needs and tops it all with a grand promise of an eternal habitation!
If that is a lie, I will rather stick to such a beautiful lie than go looking for a female turtle to give to my late great-grandmother!

My guy, when will you understand that the Spiritual Forces are not Buy-one-get-one offer. You cant just "gain access" by mugging up a bunch of words and spitting it out at a man-god. You really need to mean and show it. This is where ritual and sacrifice comes in. ANd sacrifice may not always been that which is done at the altar. There are other forms of sacrifice too.

If you are so fearful and obsessed with turtles, I really don't know what to say. Carry on, I guess. . undecided
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by twinstar210: 9:09pm On Aug 31, 2013
seedord247:

so plating hair is evil?

what about those who were not opportune to know jesus, will they go to hell?

I like that white woman hairstlye... wink
my brother ignorance is not an excuse o.Jesus christ is the only true way and life outside christ is hell. plating of hair is not evil but the purpose and the inspiration behind these hair styles is what is evil.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:24pm On Aug 31, 2013
twinstar210: my brother ignorance is not an excuse o.Jesus christ is the only true way and life outside christ is hell. plating of hair is not evil but the purpose and the inspiration behind these hair styles is what is evil.

Worshipping Higher Powers is evil?

and molesting young boys in church ,etc., is no evil?

Go get a life dude.
Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by GooseBaba: 9:47pm On Aug 31, 2013
twinstar210: my brother ignorance is not an excuse o.Jesus christ is the only true way and life outside christ is hell. plating of hair is not evil but the purpose and the inspiration behind these hair styles is what is evil.

Why must Abrahamic god worshipers always showcase their sub-human mentality. You believe in heaven and hell others don't. Why then do you find it appropriate to lump them in you conviction.

If we go by your sub-human tendencies then you too will face the wrath of Olodumare, Amadioha, Oghene, Chineke wether you like it or not, wether you believe in them or not. Their judgement will be upon you since you don't want to repent and worship them.

1 Like

Re: Hairstyles At The Osun Osogbo Festival by AbuRuqayya1(m): 9:58pm On Aug 31, 2013
wallahi.... This is an End time Things.

crucify me if u can.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Modelling-discussions :: high Fashion Models-Victorias Secret Models-! / Wedding Gown Now 20k! / No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.