Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) (34140 Views)

Aisha Buhari Visits The Olubadan Of Ibadan In His Palace. Pic / Throwback Photo Of Bukola Saraki & His Dad In The 60s / Nigeria In The 60s/70s. Sights And Sounds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Pdizzle(m): 2:12pm On Aug 31, 2013
Ibadan was so neat..
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by dangiwa09(m): 2:22pm On Aug 31, 2013
Aigbofa:

Ironsi happened to Nigeria. He made Nigeria a unitary state and effectively killed the healthy rivalry between the regions.
The groundnuts pyramids disappeared, cocoa production started to declined and the future of Nigeria given on a platter to incompetent despots for decades.

You mean Ironsi caused all the destruction and pillage in Nigeria in just 6 months . He must be a magician or you need to go study Nigeria's History at least from 1914
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Sagamite(m): 2:24pm On Aug 31, 2013
Eledan:

I missed this word...! Where have you been? grin

Me, I dey o. I just dey away dey flenjo. grin

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by T8ksy(m): 2:24pm On Aug 31, 2013
dokunbam:

mowo bata BATA

meaning i wear shoes bought from BATA

i could remember going with my DAD to Bata to buy Christmas shoe and school sandals

they are real leather
i mean hard real leather
shoes

I remember missing a trip to BATA with my two brothers and my dad's younger sister. I sulked for

days.....

Those were the days, now we are inundated with fake products........everywhere.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by cKaiser: 2:28pm On Aug 31, 2013
dangiwa09:

You mean Ironsi caused all the destruction and pillage in Nigeria in just 6 months . He must be a magician or you need to go study Nigeria's History at least from 1914

His action within those 6 months reversed the hand of growth everywhere in the country

It was the greed in him that made put a Unitary system of govt in place instead of letting every region develop at their own pace
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 31, 2013
dangiwa09:

You don't need six months to change the course of history. You can do it in one day either violently like Nzeogwu or with the stroke of a pen like Ironsi.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by expressdr84: 3:17pm On Aug 31, 2013
yunfazz:

Someone who is logical in thinking has what he know will make ppl to reminiscence abt how beautiful a city used to be...all you can say in ur daftness in "ur point"

There need to be auto delete for some ppl's daft comment on NL
Abeg feel the grammar.can't decipher what the Isi kpokiri is trying to say
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by michealade(m): 3:21pm On Aug 31, 2013
DAT boy wey open mouth go don born me x20 now o
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by tomber(m): 3:27pm On Aug 31, 2013
django1: Too many people in ibadan these days. Wish we cld go back to 60's.

Thanks for the pics OP.

Pele o. keep wishing we go back to the 60s whn some peopl (like A.Dangote) are making their cool billions

"Say not, Why were the former days better than these? For it is not from wisdom that you ask this". Ecclesiastes 7:10
U can b inspired but never sit down mornnin d paste forever. and if we blame ironse this much who takes d remaining blame.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 31, 2013
tomber:
Pele o. keep wishing we go back to the 60s whn some peopl (like A.Dangote) are making their cool billions

"Say not, Why were the former days better than these? For it is not from wisdom that you ask this". Ecclesiastes 7:10
U can b inspired but never sit down mornnin d paste forever. and if we blame ironse this much who takes d remaining blame.

Shut up! Dangote may be making millions but how many beggers did you see on those streets? Go to that same dugbe and queens cinema today and see how beggers line the streets.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by adultebony(m): 3:37pm On Aug 31, 2013
Wow! Nice to see these pictures. Thanks @OP. I was born (in the early seventies) and partly bred in Ibadan. It use to be a very beautiful cosmopolitan place with a very vibrant social life. I grew up around Cocacola Area of Ibadan, then we had the Leventis Store around the area, it was such a nice place to shop, there was Kingsway too, UI was BEAUTIFUL and inspiring, we all studied hard to get into UI, the Zoological Garden inside the University was stocked with well fed animals, so many folks from other African countries clutched the Polaroid Camera beckoning on would-be customers to come have a shot. Dugbe & Lebanon Street had a few skyscrapers (Cocoa House, Glass House or Femi Johnson, etc) beautiful places back then. It aches my heart when I go to Ibadan now and see how messed up the whole place look. I hope someday we'll have a visionary leader who will have the political will do reverse these steady retrogression we have found ourselves....

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by erico2k2(m): 3:38pm On Aug 31, 2013
wwwkaycom:
so. for you, 1963 to 2013 is 30years, abi, which pry school did you attend?
AKARA school
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by TheBookWorm: 3:38pm On Aug 31, 2013
Ibadan's steady decline can be traced to Lagos success. The economic vacuum that is Lagos has sucked the life out of many cities in the South-West.

It is like the New York City factor. New York City is such a prominent city in the New York state, but other areas of New York like upstate New York have lost population and economic power.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 3:42pm On Aug 31, 2013
dangiwa09:

Your sense of logic, history and government policies sucks...

We all thrived significantly during regional administration until that single act by Ironsi which killed progress in every corner of Nigeria.

In less than a decade under the old Western region, the SW entered into our history books the many firsts in Nigeria, in West Africa and Africa.

The industrial estates still responsible for a major chink of our non oil economy was established in that same era...

1914 has nothing to do with anything because 1914 or not, we thrived and made progress even before independence.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2013
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2013
TheBookWorm: Ibadan's steady decline can be traced to Lagos success. The economic vacuum that is Lagos has sucked the life out of many cities in the South-West.

It is like the New York City factor. New York City is such a prominent city in the New York state, but other areas of New York like upstate New York have lost population and economic power.

Partly true, but the most important factor that mitigated against the growth of ibadan and still does is bad leadership.

Things have improved a bit since this new governor came on board but its still too early to say we are on the way back but I believe if he keeps doing what he's doing (and some more) we might just have our city back.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by TheBookWorm: 3:48pm On Aug 31, 2013
django1:

Partly true, but the most important factor that mitigated against the growth of ibadan and still does is bad leadership.

Things have improved a bit since this new governor came on board but its still too early to say we are on the way back but I believe if he keeps doing what he's doing (and some more) we might just have our city back.

I agree with that as well. It was probably many factors that lead to Ibadan's decline. We might also add that oil may have played a roll. Nigeria's reliance on oil lead the old regional economic structure to decline. The West had cocoa, the North had groundnuts and the East had palm oil.

When we think about this decline across the board, it can make one very sad and curse past Nigerian leaders.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 3:49pm On Aug 31, 2013
TheBookWorm: Ibadan's steady decline can be traced to Lagos success. The economic vacuum that is Lagos has sucked the life out of many cities in the South-West.

Elimination of the regional administration that built it sucked the life out of it because regardless of Lagos as the most developed part of Nigeria, Ibadan was making progress and scoring many first in Nigeria and Africa, Ibadan was in a class of it's own. It was not even the commercial capital in the SW, it was the political capital hence siting nearly all the industrial estates in Lagos by the Western Regional Government..

Independence and the sad effect of lousy federal system induced policies and manifested problems caused migration to Lagos.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 3:56pm On Aug 31, 2013

The Liberty Stadium now renamed Obafemi Awolowo Stadium is a historic 25,000 seat football stadium based in the city of Ibadan, Nigeria. It was the first stadium to be built in Africa. Ibadan also boasts of the first radio and television stations in Africa. The first live broadcast was from Ibadan by Madam Anike Agbaje-Williams the first face on television in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by TheBookWorm: 4:06pm On Aug 31, 2013
We are here lamenting, but nothing remains static. Things can change for the better in Ibadan, and all other Nigerian cities that have lost it former glory.

We may weep when we see old pictures of Lagos, Ibadan, Port Harcourt and Enugu but change is constant.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by naptu2: 4:35pm On Aug 31, 2013
adultebony: Wow! Nice to see these pictures. Thanks @OP. I was born (in the early seventies) and partly bred in Ibadan. It use to be a very beautiful cosmopolitan place with a very vibrant social life. I grew up around Cocacola Area of Ibadan, then we had the Leventis Store around the area, it was such a nice place to shop, there was Kingsway too, UI was BEAUTIFUL and inspiring, we all studied hard to get into UI, the Zoological Garden inside the University was stocked with well fed animals, so many folks from other African countries clutched the Polaroid Camera beckoning on would-be customers to come have a shot. Dugbe & Lebanon Street had a few skyscrapers (Cocoa House, Glass House or Femi Johnson, etc) beautiful places back then. It aches my heart when I go to Ibadan now and see how messed up the whole place look. I hope someday we'll have a visionary leader who will have the political will do reverse these steady retrogression we have found ourselves....

Obafemi Babington Johnson.

Factors that led to Ibadan's decline.

1) Destruction of the system of fiscal federalism that existed in the First Republic. States had 50% of revenue that was derived from their territory (now think about the fact that people are currently celebrating 13% and you'll see how far behind we've gone).

2) Military rule and unitary system: A system in which the Federal Government took up most of the tasks and duties of state governments and the private sector. Of course the state governor, who was a colonel, cannot object or challenge the Head of State who is a general and get the system changed. Therefore state governors had to go to the capital in either Lagos or Abuja to beg for basic project like road, television stations, bridges, etc. These are basic things that would have been done by the state government or private sector in the First Republic. Happily the states and private sector are now challenging the Federal Government and taking up a greater share of these tasks and duties.

3) Population explosion. This might not have been such a bad thing if the state governments could react to it, but we had a unitary system where the governors had to seek permission from the centre for every little policy decision.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 31, 2013
lygn19: Nyc city... How come in 30years it became nigeria's slum estate

who knows?

Moreover, these are mostly pix of d univ
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by ba7man(m): 4:47pm On Aug 31, 2013
ngozievergreen:

who knows?

Moreover, these are mostly pix of d univ
Are u ok The Op presents 6 pics on the first page, 2 are from the University, 4 are from the city.........What exactly is your problem with the SW??
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 31, 2013
juman:

People of IBB generation "eat up" the country and destroyed everything.

na IBB go renovate ur house for u.
IBB ruled d whole nigeria not ibadan only.
The question is, y did it move backward instead of looking finer like most cities did
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by tomber(m): 4:49pm On Aug 31, 2013
django1:

Shut up! Dangote may be making millions but how many beggers did you see on those streets? Go to that same dugbe and queens cinema today and see how beggers line the streets.

well since u didnt get the point u can keep dreaming of the past. ma binu
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by agbameta: 4:51pm On Aug 31, 2013
ba7man: Are u ok The Op presents 6 pics on the first page, 2 are from the University, 4 are from the city.........What exactly is your problem with the SW??

ngozievergreen:

longest tym.
Rapu ndi ofe, cowardice ga egbu ha.
Ndi ugwu chupuru ha n'afia di na be ha, ha a noro ebe a na -eme so mkpotu

^^^^^^^ He's ibo, that's his problem with the SW.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by ba7man(m): 4:58pm On Aug 31, 2013
agbameta:

^^^^^^^ He's ibo, that's his problem with the SW.

That's still no excuse for him/her to always display his/her daftness with such alarming consistency.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 31, 2013
TheBookWorm: We are here lamenting, but nothing remains static. Things can change for the better in Ibadan, and all other Nigerian cities that have lost it former glory.

We may weep when we see old pictures of Lagos, Ibadan, Port Harcourt and Enugu but change is constant.

Enugu gets finer by d day , abeg.
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 31, 2013
TheBookWorm: We are here lamenting, but nothing remains static. Things can change for the better in Ibadan, and all other Nigerian cities that have lost it former glory.

Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 31, 2013
[size=22pt]Ibadan's decline is linked to Nigeria's decline.

Who are responsible?

Thief Obasanjo - ruled Nigeria for total of 11.5 years, institutionalised corruption, looted our treasury dry and continues to obstruct Nigeria's progress today from the sidelines

Evil Babangida a.k.a. IBB - ruled Nigeria for 8 years, institutionalised corruption, looted our treasury dry and continues to obstruct Nigeria's progress today from the sidelines[/size]
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 31, 2013
What a pity...go to some LGAs in Lagos like agege,Agbado, Ikorodu,AJ,etc n u see lotsa brown roofs,unsightly neighborhoods...this country needs TRUE FEDERALISM and the west must quit its blind and foolish and ever unpoductive romance and alliance with the north who are dogs in other ppls mangers and who will never root for or support the clamour and practise of a TRUE FEDERALISM system of govt that we all need..
Re: Pictures Of Ibadan In The 60s (from Skyscraper City) by trolling(m): 6:21pm On Aug 31, 2013
BarryX: What captivated me most was the shorts fashion trend !me likey
One of the bitter truth about Nigeria hate it or leave it, is Nigerians were not ready for independence before it came .
And for Christ sakes: we too dey born for this country -- we're damn over-populated
thats why the global elite are depopulating it and are still depopulating it, u wanna know how google Georgia Guidestones

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Anyim Pius Anyim Arrested By EFCC In Abuja / Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets / Man Who Poses As Remi Tinubu's PA To Dupe People Online Arrested In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.