Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,442 members, 7,823,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack (23856 Views)

Russia Prepares For A Showdown With Turkey / North-Korea Prepares Rockets To Target USA / Us, Russia Prepares For World War Iii (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by lexrichy(m): 12:40pm On Sep 05, 2013
samkoro:

Let me tell u my friend,the U.S is aware of all these missiles u mentioned.Right fromm the WW2,the U.S fights wars with newly developed weapons.European countries respect and fear the U.S for this.So all these missile launchers u are glorifying will be nothing but a double barrel den gun as far as this war is concerned.

Do u know that a recent test of a new missile by the U.S and Isreal made the Russians tremble; imagine the fact that Russia became jittery and started shouting and complaining in the media,because they noticed something that was too extra-ordinary.
ya laser bombs with destruction at the speed of light, america always bring out new technologies that make its enemies tremble.
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by t3ky(m): 12:54pm On Sep 05, 2013
The Israeli IRON DOME can conveniently take care of these threat same goes for The 'Patriot missile batteries' used by the AMERIKANOS.
Israel
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by victorazy(m): 1:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
collins123:

So both of you really think you are intellectual when you typed thes garbage abi?

You think you re snarter than the American congress abi?

You think America treats its military like we treat ours here abi? Both of you must be really deluded!

Nairaland Mumu Organization does not cease to amaze me
no mind those mumu them think say US Army na NiG Army
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by megajay1(m): 1:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
araoke: Respect Bro...you have said it all
lol.....broda u get mouth
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 05, 2013
rahazaqa: us is doomed!!!
taaaah Russian forces will smell hell..u.s.a has more sophisticated weapons than them all
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by yormite: 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2013
philip.adesola:
By the power conferred on me I say: 'Let World War III begin'
*sits down and grabs a tank full of pop corn*
why did u fail to get ur medications finish @ yaba left see what it has caused u nw
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by zoomman(m): 1:42pm On Sep 05, 2013
This is indeed End time things...Lord help us all
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Naijalastborn(m): 1:53pm On Sep 05, 2013
Aniah4u: undecidedThe Alhasad-led Syria Gov't needs to be reminded that the most sophisticated Traitors like Saddam Hussein of Iraq and Ghadaffi of Libya had once threatened retaliation on D U.S and they(US) still had their ways. I'm glad I've. Finished with my Syria construction Project. I'm in Holand now.
where in Netherlands are you?
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Caseless: 1:59pm On Sep 05, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: What concerns me most is President Obama's temperament in the course of conflict. He does not have the carry-through, the "stay" to see to the end if the war is protracted beyond its projection. When images of casualties start to come in, bloodied babies with half their scalp gone or pregnant women with bowels and unborn baby ripped by shrapnels, or even US soldiers returning home in caskets, Mr Obama's gentle constitution is bound to be affected and like now where he is making an about face that he cant retreat from, he will be forced to make a choice between withdrawing and going in deep and heavy with deployments of drone. If he withdraws, he is doomed politically; if he intensifies the battle his action will no longer be short term and risks throwing insurgents of Iraq back into the fray, al Qaeda will identify a new cause for martydorm and instability will spread through ME. What has taken decades of hard word to install will crumble in matters of months and the legacy of Obama as a Nobel Peace Laureate will suffer an irreparable damage.

During Iraq war, Syria and Iran, two of Iraq neighbors did not join the coalition but they did not support Iraq either. Its a different dimension in this case. Syria has military support beyond its borders.

US said this will be limited action and on a controlled scale. This was said about Vietnam, it was said about Afghanistan, it was said about Iraq. Each of those theaters proved their forecast short on its promises. US can predict what it will do but must not and cannot determine how the opposition will react and the response that the reaction could trigger within their own strategy.

Republicans are determined to vindicate GW Bush. This is their opportunity to do it and who is better to do it than the successor whose victory into White House was predicated on anti-Bush war and was rewarded with Nobel prize? Republicans didn't know how to wrestle power from Democrats in 2016 but they have discovered it with this mission.

This is going to be President Obama's war. Let's wish him luck as we prepare to witness another bloody tragedy on a global scale.
no one has sounded more brilliant on this issue like u've done. i give u my most cherished and, one $ only 'like' for a post to u, making ur likes 20

1 Like

Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Caseless: 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2013
collins123:

So both of you really think you are intellectual when you typed these garbage abi?

You think you re smarter than the American congress abi?

You think America treats its military like we treat ours here abi? Both of you must be really deluded!

mr intellctual, point to one war u.s won hands-down or without ugly scar. the support for their prey(syria) this time around is huge, and dont think the u.s wld have an easy ride here.

nigerians, like u, suffer more brainwash than any other numskull elsewhere in this world.

1 Like

Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Caseless: 2:14pm On Sep 05, 2013
enny09: i believe some1 should check this guy call assad, how can he love power than his countrymen life, he should resign and a new regime takeover, i believe dis will end if this is done, life is been lost daily even without war and chemical weapon used on syrian citizens, what is different of what is happening now and if a war eventually brokeout, cos life is lost on daily basis.
and u think it stops there? assad thinks he protect his pple more than the extremists who are fighting to take over from him. this war is bigger than what you think it is.

1 Like

Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Realdon1(m): 2:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
the main aim of US strike in Syria is to bring to an the use and treat of chemical weapons by the middle eastern world
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Horus(m): 2:49pm On Sep 05, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcY4kE6h_g

[size=15pt]Iran new stealth Qaher F-313 fighter jet[/size]

The homemade fighter-bomber can evade radar. Only three world countries have the technology to manufacture such a fighter jet.
The fighter jet is Iranian made and all its parts, from A to Z, have been manufactured domestically.
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by kcpragmatik(m): 2:56pm On Sep 05, 2013
Mikedunnu!!!!
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Vonwolf(m): 2:59pm On Sep 05, 2013
Homguy: As much as i do not support USA's solitary intervention in this quagmire,somebody has to bell the cat. Besides,they have most odds in their favour. Russia's only interest in syria is their weapon sales and am sure their warnings are just a show of solidarity to a client neighbour. However, it would be more laudable,if the US is able to convince more UN nations participate rather dan paying the prize of bløod and money alone.Britain and france as exampls, are clearly benchwarmin and not sure about what roles to play yet. Long live America.

Its a war not only for US but also Us allies, Isreal, Uk and France as you rightly said, people don't seem to understand Russia's interest in this whole thing, as for me, I'm in support of this invasion cos in the words of St Augustine, War is sought for the sake of peace.

1 Like

Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Aniah4u: 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2013
Naija_lastborn: where in Netherlands are you?
cool
Naija_lastborn: where in Netherlands are you?
Amsterdam. And you?
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by SILVA112(m): 4:09pm On Sep 05, 2013
let nigeria snd their troops to us''' against syria'''' middle tym tins''' goodluck to d winners'''''
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 05, 2013
Horus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd-NTv2H-u8

ТОS-1A Russian 24-barrel multiple rocket launcher

When Western forces engage the Syrian army you can be assured that it will be nothing like the 1991 conflict in Iraq when a hundred thousand of Saddam Hussein’s soldiers surrendered without firing a shot. Nor will it be a no-fly zone free-for-all where air forces will be able to target military assets as they did in Libya without being challenged. No, this time will be different. Russia supplied Syria with state-of-the-art 24-Barrell rocket launchers ranked as the most developed artillery weapon of its kind. Syria is armed with Russian weapons that have never been seen before in the Middle East including computer guided smart missiles that never miss their target. Russia also supplied Syria with Skean 5 ground-to-sea missiles that are capable of hitting and sinking any target up to 250 km off the Syrian coast.

250 km is a joke....US Warships are positioned more than a 1000miles away from the Syrian shores, the Missiles on the warships are capable of hitting their target with pin point accuracy.
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Horus(m): 4:35pm On Sep 05, 2013

nutty_hnic:

250 km is a joke....US Warships are positioned more than a 1000miles away from the Syrian shores, the Missiles on the warships are capable of hitting their target with pin point accuracy.

1000 miles away?,ok 1000 miles is equal to 1.609 Kilometers. This mean that by looking at the map above and the scale in Kilometers US Warships are positioned further than Greece or Albania. Why do they need to stay so far from the Syrian shores if they are "invincible"?.

3 Likes

Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by ijaola(m): 5:38pm On Sep 05, 2013
Well, lot of people have their opinion. My take, what does america has to gain, if there is something to gain, they would have intervenne long time ago. They feel it time to do so. Russia is just a neighbour, am sure Russia can harm Syria and would not fight. I might be wrong about Russia. Iran, strong head, will fight, trust america to get them here. Syria share border with Isreal, Turkey, all are America ally. Isreal not weak military wise. US have allies in Europe, France, UK, Nato as a whole. The only way is see world war is if China and North Korea think otherwise which I think China is not ready for. Assad is gone. But I hope this crisis can be solve in a meaningful manner than war.
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by chairman: 9:06pm On Sep 05, 2013
[quote author=afrikanns]Honestly speaking you are the most gullible and deaf blind ass have ever heard posting nonsense on this forum , infact ur reasoning and thinking facultys are dead .
But he has 10 likes and you have 1
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 05, 2013
The destiny of Syria at this time now lies with Russia, president Obama is using one stone to kill three birds by waiting for congress to approve or disapprove a strike.

1. By waiting, he's trying to save his head by making congress a part of the decision just incase shit pops

2. He's also trying to shift the blame to the U.S congress for the bad things that have happened in Syria and that may still happen just incase congress votes against the war

3. He's giving Russia, China and the Asad regime an ultimatum to make any last minute improvement of the situation, if they don't, its their inability to solve the crisis after 2 years of his long patience that has led to the war.

Barack Obama is a very sharp guy.......lol cheesy
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by charles424(m): 9:44pm On Sep 05, 2013
I hope these people didn't forget the Nostrademus prediction about the 3rd world war ? Which he said will be triggered by an arabian prince and that it will be devastated to the americans and that america will never be a super power any more in the world after the war....America should tread it with care or they will blame themselves....He who has ear let him hear what the spirit is saying.
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 05, 2013
I just hoped US will strike numb Iran along with this planned Syrian attack!
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 05, 2013
fewj: The destiny of Syria at this time now lies with Russia, president Obama is using one stone to kill three birds by waiting for congress to approve or disapprove a strike.

1. By waiting, he's trying to save his head by making congress a part of the decision just incase shit pops

2. He's also trying to shift the blame to the U.S congress for the bad things that have happened in Syria and that may still happen just incase congress votes against the war

3. He's giving Russia, China and the Asad regime an ultimatum to make any last minute improvement of the situation, if they don't, its their inability to solve the crisis after 2 years of his long patience that has led to the war.

Barack Obama is a very sharp guy.......lol cheesy
You got it man. Some dummy won't see that, most especially, the arrogant Putin!
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by InvertedHammer: 5:40am On Sep 06, 2013
collins123:

So both of you really think you are intellectual when you typed these garbage abi?

You think you re smarter than the American congress abi?

//
[b]Don't mind all these keyboard war analysts.
The nations of the world know the capabilities of US military...
and that's why they hide their tails between their legs any time US barks.

If not for rules of engagement, US will carpet-bomb Syria back to the stone age...
and Russia ain't gonna do jack else they will face the wrath of US economically and otherwise.

All these nonsense is b/c the Republicans a.k.a hawks are not in the helm of affairs.
Remember George W? He would have told the UN inspectors to step off and start making the bombs rain

Like it or not, the introduction of chemical weapon into conflicts will affect everyone if this action of Syrian government goes unpunished. Wait until Boko Haram gets access to it. Then it will be too late.

Like joke, like joke...that's how kidnapping started. People did not pay attention until it spread like wild fire.
It is either you proactively nip a problem in the bud or one stands the risk of letting it grow into some insurmountable
wahala.

Assad must be thought a lesson.
.[/b]

//
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by akereconfi: 1:40pm On Sep 06, 2013
Cajetan speaks: This can only come from a dumb head.. Nigeria is on track to greatness dumb head!!!
you stupendous Ignoramus....Nigeria on track to greatness with all these NEGATIVE HEADLINES we are having here in our con3......ASUU strike, PDP crisis..Stowaway kids....MEND threats...etc...and you open your dirty cavity to call me dumb head. I don't know what you have in your head but your thinking process is amazing
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by NairaMinted: 1:52pm On Sep 06, 2013
[size=24pt]No law will stop Obama’s democracy-bombs over Syria[/size]

Nile Bowie is a political analyst and photographer currently residing in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Get short URL
Published time: September 05, 2013 13:47

US President Barack Obama (AFP Photo/Jewel Samad)

Tags
Arms, Conflict, G20, Military, Syria, USA

Regardless of how Congress votes, Obama is going to attack Syria. The president is doing his best to avoid constructive dialogue when the focus should be international law, not ‘international norms’ as defined by Washington.

As world leaders descend on the Russian city of St. Petersburg to discuss global tax regimes and international trade, this year’s G20 Summit is really a G20+1, with an extra seat allocated for the massive elephant in the room.

Many of the leaders attending have brought along their foreign ministers, as the summit will also informally serve as a global platform to discuss the sorry state of affairs in Syria. One can only speculate as to the substance of any exchanges between President Putin and his American counterpart and forced smiles will be in no short supply.

“He is lying and knows he is lying. It’s sad,” said Putin, of John Kerry’s address to the US Congress. That about sums it up – the lies and deceit of the Obama administration are so breathtaking, so innumerable, and they’re being trumpeted knowingly and shamelessly. Want a taste of highly moral and ethical narrative being championed in favor of “the Syrian people?” Look no further than the New York Times, with its recent headline “Bomb Syria, Even If It Is Illegal,” which argues that Obama and his poodles should “declare that international law has evolved and that they don’t need Security Council approval to intervene in Syria."

The establishment press is calling for blood, and they're claiming the moral high ground while doing it – slightly pathological? You bet. The insane are really running the asylum on this one.

The Russians have been pushing for Geneva II with focused perseverance, but Barry and his flesh-eating rebels aren’t going to let that happen – not without a substantial sprinkling of Tomahawk cruise missiles over Damascus at the very least. The trigger-happy White House, with the most sophisticated military arsenal in the history of man, has demonstrated that it is unwilling to acknowledge any evidence that contradicts its cooker-cutter narrative – it is not open to reasoned arguments, and so the world yet again faces a dangerous precedent due to US intransigence.

To the surprise of many, the British parliament made clear that it would not drink the Cameron kool-aid, and even Ban Ki-moon chimed in to remind the Commander-in-Chief that the use of force is only legal in self-defense or with Security Council authorization.

Members of CodePink, Tighe Barry (L) and Medea Benjamin (2nd L) protest as U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry (R) arrives at a hearing on "Syria: Weighing the Obama Administration's Response" before the House Foreign Affairs Committee September 4, 2013 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. (Alex Wong/Getty Images/AFP )

Air Force One flies above the law

International law? Pssh! Obama knows his bombs-for-peace program isn’t going to get past Russia and China, and in the absence of a unified coalition of the willing, he’s been forced to seek approval from Congress to maintain the façade of legitimacy.

When reading in-between the lines, it’s clear that the Obama administration will proceed with an attack on Syria whether Congress gives the green light or not – in all likelihood, Congress will vote ‘Yes’. The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) has broken its silence on Syria, and called for war.

Unfortunately, Congress can be bought and be sure that lobbyist dollars are being dealt out faster than you can say ‘Jabhat al-Nusra’ to seal the vote. “Emperor” Obama insists that he is not required to consult Congress to seek approval for his Syrian adventure, but did so anyway after receiving a letter from more than 160 members of the House of Representatives reminding him that to take the country to war without congressional approval is an impeachable offense, which doesn’t exactly bode well for his credentials as a constitutional lawyer.

And what about the evidence? The US government insists that it has “high confidence” that the Assad regime used chemical weapons, and that the evidence is so compelling that Washington is willing to go to war – before the UN team of chemical weapon experts have yet to make a determination. If you question this narrative, you are a conspiracy theorist. But what about the UN’s commission of inquiry led by Carla Del Ponte that implicated the rebels with using chemical weapons in Khan al-Assal? What about the Russian reports that claim the projectiles were crudely produced and clearly not military grade or consistent with the weapons in Assad’s stockpiles? What about reports that rebel forces were caught with cylinders of sarin nerve gas in southern Turkey near the Syrian border? As far as Obama is concerned, all of that has already been sent down the memory hole. It’s not the media’s job to present this information in a balanced and unbiased way, its only function is to sell war and educate the public about the benefits of twerking, as displayed by Miley Cyrus last week, stealing the headlines on CNN as US warships amassed in the Mediterranean.

A picture downloaded on September 4, 2013 from the US Navy website and taken on September 3, 2013 shows an F/A-18C Hornet assigned to the Blue Diamonds of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 146 launching off the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz in the Red Sea. (AFP Photo)

Nobody believes the “limited strike” assurances
Just as in Iraq, the war on Syria is being sold as “limited strike” designed to hasten the rebel advance, but the original draft resolution for military intervention that Congress is set to vote on suggests otherwise. The wording of the text is so broad that Obama could virtually get away with anything he pleases. For example, the phrase “The President is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and appropriate” is deliberately vague. The intentional legal ambiguousness of the text raised eyebrows in Congress (clearly the executive branch was trying to pull a fast one) so much so that Kerry was forced to prohibit [/i][/b]"boots on the ground,"[/i][/b] which he argued against on the grounds of Obama having options if Syria [/i][/b]"imploded".[/i][/b]

If there is a real danger of Syria imploding, which it very well might under a sustained campaign of US aggression, then the limited strike rhetoric should be seen as what is it – empty assurances designed to rubber stamp the war as quickly as possible.

The drive to military intervention in Syria is transparently a move to topple the legal authorities in Damascus. If that happens, it would create a power vacuum that would immediately destabilize the country and pit dozens of warring factions against one another as they vie for power – Syria explodes. Al-Qaeda and other jihadi militias will declare caliphates all over Syria while persecuting Alawite minorities and Assad loyalists. The instability could lead to the fracturing of Syria under ethnic and sectarian lines into several smaller states, and the chaos would swallow the currently war-torn and destabilized Iraq.

The toppling of Assad is a transparent declaration of war against Hezbollah and Iran and could lead to a major regional conflict that would kill large numbers of people. In essence, nothing about this situation indicates that it will be limited. Moreover, the United States has few strategic benefits here, while Saudi Arabia and Israel are dragging Washington by the nose into this conflict. When Kerry recently testified in front of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, he divulged that the House of Saud and Qatar even offered to bankroll the whole US operation in Syria – tough bargain for cash-strapped Washington hawks to pass up!

A handout image released by the Syrian opposition's Shaam News Network on July 29, 2013, shows an aerial view of destruction in the al-Khalidiyah neighbourhood of the central Syrian city of Homs. (AFP Photo/Shaam News Network)

Obama wears rainbow suspenders

Few have speculated about the recent “joint” missile launch conducted by the US and Israel, which was first denied, then classified as an atmospheric rocket for scientific research purposes, and finally it was admitted to be a test launch of a military rocket.

Nobody, not even NATO, was informed about it and the sketchy cover story only heightens suspicions. The Pentagon eventually admitted that the launch was carried out with technical support from the US Defense Department. This incident was probably not a legitimate Israeli missile defense system test – a launch during the incredibly tense situation in the region suggests a quality of psychological warfare and panic creation, but ultimately the Americans were measuring the preparedness and response of the Syrians to an unannounced missile launch.

Either way, the move was entirely reckless, but nothing else can be expected from Washington and Tel Aviv. As Putin said, the US is lying and it knows it’s lying. The US has fueled the Syrian conflict from the beginning under the euphemistic guise of “democracy promotion” – first by training and financing anti-Assad activists, and once they built momentum in Syria, arms and foreign fighters began pouring in.

The Syrian conflict could not have reached this point without a steady influx of aid from the US, via its stooges in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Qatar. Is it really worth it to pass the point of no return by setting off a powder keg in the region? The human losses thus far could pale in comparison to what would follow in a wider regional war. The further destruction of lives, of culture, and even of the Syrian state as it exists is what will follow.

If Washington was serious about peace, it would have called off the rebels and channeled all of its diplomatic muscle into Geneva II, and it would cooperate with Russia, the other largest stakeholder in this conflict. Obama could have met with Putin during this G20 Summit to bridge the differences and put effort behind a political solution, but no.

Obama will use his trip to Russia to meet with gay activists, a childish gesture that is entirely political – a weak attempt to stick it to Putin for his stance on various issues. Meeting with activists and members of civil society is not wrong in and of itself, but the fact that Obama chose to meet with LBGT activists at a time when his cooperation with Putin is most needed on Syria is a move that speaks volumes. Obama is demonstrably doing everything possible to avoid any attempts to make peace through dialogue.

The statements, views and opinions expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RT.
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 06, 2013
The al-Assad family has ruled Syria since Hafez al-Assad became President of Syria in 1971 and established an authoritarian regime under the control of the Ba'ath Party. After his death in 2000, his son Bashar succeeded him, this is a typical situation of a country being ruled by one family, is this not dictatorship?
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 07, 2013
Horus:

1000 miles away?,ok 1000 miles is equal to 1.609 Kilometers. This mean that by looking at the map above and the scale in Kilometers US Warships are positioned further than Greece or Albania. Why do they need to stay so far from the Syrian shores if they are "invincible"?.

What do u mean by what you typed? Having missiles capable of hitting targets from longe distance without d enemy having a retaliatory strike capability sure makes a strong military..and that is what INVINCIBILITY is about..i.e during d persian gulf war, iraqis anti-aircraft weapons were not capable of hitting high altitude us bombers....

Invincibility is a key strength in military strategy.
Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by NairaMinted: 1:38am On Sep 08, 2013
[size=18pt]Thanks to Putin, US strike won't cripple Syria's Assad for long[/size]

By Van Hipp
Published September 05, 2013
FoxNews.com

One of the reasons the states came together to form the federal government was to provide for the “common defense” of the American people.

In keeping with this, the so-called "Reagan Test" has been the best guide as to when U.S. military action is wise -- that is when a vital U.S. national security interest at stake. Once committing to military action, our mission must be clearly defined and we must have an end game.

Let’s look at Syria. The atrocities of the Assad regime are horrific. A friendly Syria, without Assad, would be great news for the free world. It could also help weaken Iran.

Unfortunately, a number of the members of the loose band of Assad opposition groups have strong ties to Al Qaeda, and one in fact—the Al-Nusra Front—has been designated by both the United States and the United Nations as a terrorist organization.

[size=18pt]If you consider the “Putin Factor,” the ability of Syria to reconstitute itself militarily and possibility of an Al Qaeda-linked group acquiring chemical weapons, military action doesn’t make sense.[/size]

Further, President Obama now says that any possible military action is not about regime change.

So what is the purpose militarily and where is the vital U.S. national security interest?

As the situation stands now, the only vital U.S. national security interest concerns Syria’s five major chemical weapons sites and the storage facility at Cerin, which handles the Syrian Biological Weapons Program. We must take whatever action necessary to insure that none of this falls into the hands of any opposition groups with Al Qaeda ties.

By almost all accounts, the U.S. is looking at a very short “surgical strike” by firing about 200 cruise missiles from ships and submarines at a cost of roughly $350 million.

We can’t take out the chemical facilities under such a scenario for fears of creating plumes of deadly vapors, so the U.S. will try and target “command and control” sites and systems capable of delivering chemical and biological weapons.

But then what?

Syria, which is the largest importer of Russian arms in the Middle East, will be able to reconstitute itself quickly in terms of weaponry thanks to its relationship with the old KGB agent, Vladimir Putin.

Further, such a short-term exercise for show, with no real impact, could actually have disastrous consequences. It might indirectly help radical Islamic groups gain power and increase the possibility of one or more of the chemical weapons facilities falling into the hands of an Al Qaeda-linked organization.

Recently, Russia’s deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said that “The West is playing with the Islamic world like a monkey with a grenade.”

The United States has cut its Defense budget drastically in recent years, while Russia’s is expected to increase 59% by 2015.

As U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe, the ranking member of the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee said last week, “No red line should have been drawn without the strategy and funding to support it.”

Recently, retired General Colin Powell also cautioned against military intervention in Syria.

Syria’s ability to reconstitute itself militarily and acquire new military technology from Putin, after a short-term U.S. Military exercise for show, is real.

Let’s look at the facts.

-- In 2005, Russia forgave 75% of Syria’s debt for military purchases (about $9 billion) in order to be able to sell new weapons to Syria.

-- Last year, military arms contracts between Russia and Syria were $4.3 billion.

-- Russia has a Naval Support Base in Syria at Tartus, which it has expanded since 2009 and the channel has been dredged to allow larger Russian ships to enter. Currently, it can support up to 10 guided-missile cruisers, submarines and aircraft carriers.

-- There are reports that earlier this summer, Putin supplied the Assad regime with new, state of the art rocket launchers and Skean 5 ground-to-sea missiles, capable of reaching targets 250 km off of Syria’s coast.

-- Russia has delivered to Syria its most advanced anti-ship missile, the P-800 Yakhont super-sonic anti-ship cruise missile.

--Within the last week, Russia has deployed 2 warships to the east Mediterranean (a missile cruiser and a large anti-submarine ship). On Sunday, Russia dispatched the reconnaissance ship Priazovye to the Syrian coast.

-- Russia has signed a contract to provide Syria its top of the line S-300 Air Defense Missile System, capable of shooting down aircraft and cruise missiles from 5 to 200 kilometers. Syria says the missiles began arriving this May, while Russia says the delivery is not finished. Recently, Putin renewed veiled threats to supply the system to Iran.

When you consider the “Putin Factor” and the ability of Syria to reconstitute itself militarily, together with potentially increasing the possibility of an Al Qaeda linked group acquiring chemical weapons, military action, as currently envisioned, doesn’t make sense.

Most importantly, where is the vital U.S. national security interest? And what is the end game?

What does make sense would be for the U.S. to develop a real foreign policy. These are dangerous times and the stakes are high. Unfortunately, today America lacks a clear and defined foreign policy—a real plan—and we continually send all the wrong signals.

Van D. Hipp, Jr. is Chairman of American Defense International, Inc., a Washington, D.C.-based consulting firm specializing in government affairs, business development and public relations. He is the former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Army and currently serves on Board of Directors of the American Conservative Union and The National Capitol Board of The Salvation Army. Follow him on Twitter @VanHipp.

1 Like

Re: Syria Prepares For U.S. Attack by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 09, 2013
NairaMinted: [size=18pt]Thanks to Putin, US strike won't cripple Syria's Assad for long[/size]

[size=18pt]If you consider the “Putin Factor,” the ability of Syria to reconstitute itself militarily and possibility of an Al Qaeda-linked group acquiring chemical weapons, military action doesn’t make sense.[/size]

Isn't the chemical weapon the target by Obama? You cockroach!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Guinea: Heavy Gunshots Erupt, Conackry On Military Lockdown / Theresa May Set To Become UK Prime Minister On Wednesday / Gabon Parliament Set Ablaze After Bongo Was Declared Winner (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.