Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,728 members, 7,820,520 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? - TV/Movies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? (49245 Views)

Olympus Has Fallen Vs London Has Fallen / Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down / Which Is The Better Movie? White House Down 2013 Or Olympus Has Fallen 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Lxgking(m): 6:29pm On Sep 06, 2013
2 much votes 4 olympus has fallen, hmmmm, i watch WHD in a cinema(cool bt didnt blow me away like man of steel), nw i bought OHF, in a dvd film, i av had it 4 ova 3weeks nw, bt i cnt just get myself down 2 finish it,.....Yyyy? Everytym i play it, i feel lk am wastin precious tym....i ll be lk, i dn get dis film, 2 borin sort of, u c hw dey took cntrl of d white hauz, 2 genius bt so unreal(a whole white hauz),nd tinkin dat dat was goin 2 kick start d action, it didnt..,.nw 2 WHD, WEN D JANITOR EXPLODED D BOMB, action truout, no dullin coupled wit a lot of humour....,mehn sm sayin jamie fox didnt suit 4 presido, sry i had 2 disagree, bt dat was my 1st tut, bt den i saw d film, very gud actor nd funny 2.,..,.nd pls movie watchers, "dnt lie 2 kids" WHD ROCKS!
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by decepticos(m): 6:30pm On Sep 06, 2013
sucess001: Anyone who says ‘Olympus has fallen’ beats ‘White House Down’ has to be joking.

The storyline, action sequence and power play in WHD are a million times superior. Olympus is just like any other film.

I have seen both like 2 times. I was disappointed at Olympus since people told me it was like WHD.
OHF is not like WHD, WHD is like OHF consider time of release. The most annoying part of WHD was when the military and the secret service had a "constitutional" tussle, the forgot who was in danger and were stupidly fighting over who was to do what, its rational but very silly.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Lxgking(m): 6:44pm On Sep 06, 2013
Dentale: I wondered how the makers of White House Down must have felt when Olympus was released a few months before their movie... especially knowing that it was better cheesy

For me, it's Olympus Has Fallen. There were so many "unbelievable" scenes in both movies but I couldn't get over the image of Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum (or Presido and Commando) being chased around on the white house lawn with the US Military watching them like home video without attempting a serious intervention. Come on! That was the final straw for me.
dey didnt want 2 kill d presido, babe, bt u liked in OHD, hw dat lady was released, i tut dey blockd d view of witehauz wit trucks nd had deadly snipers on d roof, hwcm d presidnts son nd d lady were each recieved by d policemen, nd swat also infiltrate d perimeter,...hmmm! Bt in WHD, U CAN C D FULL MEAnIng of "grin white hauz has bin taken control of, no escape,,.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by joanana(f): 6:52pm On Sep 06, 2013
An0nimus: If thats not some superb analysis from Mr Aboki then I dunno what is cool.

Nobody wants to answer my question on the music score of both movies cry

Olympus has fallen HAS A BETTER MUSIC SCORE........

2 Likes

Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 06, 2013
Olympus has fallen the movie is so unique also white House Down is cool aswel enjoyed both....
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by An0nimus: 7:16pm On Sep 06, 2013
joanana:

Olympus has fallen HAS A BETTER MUSIC SCORE........
Thank you jare.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by franklampard082(m): 7:17pm On Sep 06, 2013
Both have got almost the same story line but the truth is that "Olympus has Fallen" beats the crap out of "white house down"
Where from do I even have to start to describe the awesome nature of the movie.
I particularly love the part where Butler took a pic of the tatoo behind one of the bad guys' ear after he killed him and sent it to the Pentagon and then Jacobs was like "is he alive" and Gerard Butler was like "Ask me a serious question". Got me cracking and I had to rewind that part again. Awesome Movie I must say!!!
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 06, 2013
[b]Maybe I’m being too harsh and maybe it’s my own pet peeve (it is), but I can’t handle dumb kids in films. As in, children who constantly make dumb decisions in a movie. It hurts a films’ progression and also takes away from the enjoyment overall. I couldn’t count the amount of times where the focus of Joey King’s character Emily Cale, made things absolutely cringe-worthy.

I’m going out of a limb to accept the fact that Emily goes around videographing all of the mercenaries throughout the White House, which as a result of her uploading said videos to YouTube allows the United States government to visually identify all the assailants. I mean never mind the fact that the White House should have its own video surveillance installed. But her uploading the videos to YouTube under her username/real name, reminds me of when Richard Thornburg (William Atherton) in Die Hard (1988) exposes the link of John McClane to why he is in the Nakatomi building. (It’s going to cause problems later guys!!) In Die Hard I accepted it, in White House Down it feels like a poorly conceived plot device. Nevermind the fact that Emily as a character is stubborn in the worst way possible and doesn’t stay put and eventually becomes more pro-active in bad ways. But when given the opportunity to be pro-active in good ways (near the end of the film when she’s the only opposing good force with the President in the Oval Office along with villain James Woods), she refuses to do anything (this little girl ain’t helpless!! I saw you video mercenaries earlier in the film!!).

The film already has me in disbelief, but to just watch her character cry in the corner and do nothing made me want to yell at her (I did what I could in the theatre and raised my arms up in exacerbation). I mean the nuclear football was right there, hell even Arnold’s daughter in True Lies (1994) stole the nuclear launch key. These types of bad plot sequences were worked out 19 years ago. It made even worse sense given how the film portrayed how exceeding patriotic Emily’s character was. And even worse when she does something like wave off the air strike on the White House by taking a flag out on the lawn which is reminiscent of the Nicholas Cage in The Rock (1996) doing the exact same thing (Come on Emmerich, you know what you’re doing!!). And then is proclaimed by the reporters broadcasting the events live on television as “Emily Cale what a brave little girl!” I couldn’t handle the fact that she could’ve avoided capture too, given she was “so smart” to video all the mercenaries and upload the videos to YouTube. I’m honestly surprised she didn’t upload things to Facebook as well and tag the villains herself (probably could’ve if you took your video stash and then hid out in I don’t know somewhere where the mercenaries weren’t, also holy hell, SILENT MODE ON YOUR PHONE EXISTS!!!). The strangest thing for me about her doing it was I don’t even recall the product placement for what kind of phone she used.

My complaint is she gets in the way, but it’s a necessary tact that requires Channing Tatum’s involvement. On the opposite side, Olympus Has Fallen’s Connor Asher, just listens to Gerard Butler. Sure there is the added background that Butler’s character has semi-trained Connor for fun to be a Secret Service Agent, but it’s nice foresight to at least not have Connor’s character be you know, useless. When the going gets tough the kid listens and is smart enough to do the right thing and avoid capture. All it requires is Butler finding him first and to my surprise evacuates him from the White House to remove the leverage of the terrorist’s having the President’s son (surprise non-cliche in Olympus Has Fallen?! Unbelievable.). It moves the film right along, while still including a child actor in a necessary/required way. As a result Butler’s character can go off and exact taking out the enemies without any worries other than the President himself.

In respect to the unnecessary/required child actor category of Olympus Has Fallen versus White House Down. The obvious edge and win goes to Olympus Has Fallen.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by cogsej06(m): 7:22pm On Sep 06, 2013
Mr Aboki:

[b]What was unrealistic about the girls flag waving scene?!

WHITE HOUSE DOWN was a cool flick, but my problems with the movie was;

1. The number of people it took to breach and Take-over the whitehouse was unrealistic.
2. The character of Jamie Foxx as the President didnt just sit well.
3. The driving scene on the White House lawn was too scattered. I would have thought that at that point, the Army would have breached the white house perimeter and taken the President. The U.S Army will not see an opportuinity where the President is out in the open and being shot at by Terrorists and just sit there and do nothing. #NEVER..

Now here are some things worthy of note;

WHDs Hero was a down on his luck Police officer|Bodyguard..
OHFs Hero was a Secret Service Agent that was taken off the Presidents detail cos of an accident.

WHD focused way too much attention on the kid. Making it feel rather unserious.
OHF focused more on the President. The Kid was taken out of the picture early which was fine.

In WHD, they made us believe that terrorists breached and took over the White House from within. Kill guards and disarm them.
In OHF.. The assault was massive. They started from outside and worked their way in.

In WHD, the hero was able to navigate a White House that he was unfamiliar with quite too easily..
In OHF, the hero knew the White House layout all to well from experience.

The demerits of WHD far outweighs that of OHF..[/b]

[/b]

U sabi movie......Olympus has fallen.....all d way!!!!
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 06, 2013
Olympus Has Fallen is overall the more watchable film, to which I’d give a score of 6 out of 10. White House Down nets 3 out of 10 from me, and if it wasn’t for After Earth (which I had somehow successfully forgot about already). White House Down would go down as the worst film I’ve seen this year
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Sanmexy(m): 7:33pm On Sep 06, 2013
Moi-b:
The suspense in white house down is more captivatin.the way d white house was taken ova nd its destruction is also captivatin.in olympus has fallen,no much activity nd suspense.

Thumps up...dis d same thing I`ve been pointing out to ppl dat White house down is psychologically engaging than Olympus has falling, I don`t know why dey fail to see it.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by abdulrey(m): 7:34pm On Sep 06, 2013
am really speechless, kudus to the director of olympus has fallen Antoine fuqua. Olympus has fallen is jux too much, so fans of olympus has fallen kip this trend going by posting. So that the fans of WHD wud know dat olympus is jux the best.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Larrygr8t: 8:24pm On Sep 06, 2013
Olympus has falling and White House down are both unique and classic films. But Olympus, takes the lead for me.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by kelvincoll(m): 9:09pm On Sep 06, 2013
Olympus Has Fallen is the Bomb!

#in Morgan Freeman's voice ....... "Mary! get me a cup of coffee, half en half, 3 sweets low and in a real cup not does microphone...... cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by cupidon(m): 9:54pm On Sep 06, 2013
olumpus as fallen is better 2 me, it shows dat we shld always b careful d way we allow migrants in.....we dnt knw d 1s dat hav prepard demselvs 4 battle......
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 10:07pm On Sep 06, 2013
Olympus has fallen all the way....
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Zachxolan(m): 10:27pm On Sep 06, 2013
Just saw WHD, imagine chasing the presidential vehicle with rocket launchers its so annoying I have to watch Olympus has fallen to make my anger go away.....OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN all d way
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by ITbomb(m): 12:30am On Sep 07, 2013
In White House Down , the president is chase around the lawn , the bad boys are in the open unscathed. Too unrealistic
Olympus has Fallen showed real American military response to the situation.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by olapluto(m): 12:36am On Sep 07, 2013
OK. I came into this thread, and went away. Now I've just watched Olympus has fallen. It was action from scene 1 to the end. Let me go wee and start White house down.
But before I watch it, I will comment on Olympus has fallen:
1. The bad guy was killed too easily
2. The attack to take the white house was too unrealistic, I mean how does the president overide his security details when the plane refused to deroute
3. How did the Chinco lady controlling computers choose to die in a planned suicide, just to save the bad boy...
Overall, very good movie. Will I watch it again? If bored
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by walexzee11(m): 12:43am On Sep 07, 2013
Both are so intrtesting....but i'll give it to WHITE HOUSE.The scene dat move me much is when d pentagon order d airstrike of d white house and a second to target d little gurl wave the flag n d captain abort the mission witout authorization frm d pentagon...I NEARLY CRIED!!!!
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Bluhazel: 1:22am On Sep 07, 2013
For me, it's olympus has fallen. The tension and the thrill was damn too much and it almost got my babe jumping out of the seat. White house down looks more like a child's play - the thought of them using the clown like jamie foxx as the president blew it totally especially during his unserious moments (imagine that when you've got disaster at hand)and the all-knowing untouchable little girl with some clown-like terrorists. smh
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by kimco(m): 2:07am On Sep 07, 2013
kambee: Olympus has fallen the movie is so unique also white House Down is cool aswel enjoyed both....
it not unique really, feels like airforce one on land. OHF is an action flick. No logic behind it atall. U think americans will risk the security for their president? America doesn't negotiate with terrorists. In real life, that president would die b4 the codes are given. That plane which destroyed the place would'nt have even made it that far b4 been shot down. The military special ops would be in the white hse b4 the saboteaurs can even blink, hard boiled militia soldiers giving out infos after torture, i mean what did u learn in the academy? These things are taught, u're a higly trained soldier for christ sakes. Also nobody takes cover, looks like the good guys move to receive the bullets in the abdomens, too obvious..... That's to mention a few.

The illogical reasoning in the movie made me not even finish it. I'm quite dissapointed with gerrard butler and morgan freeman partaking in this movie. Too much commando with this movie, a little realism won't kill us. It's a sad day when people are praising an action flick like we were in the 80s and it was the best thing since sliced bread, and brilliant movies like shutter island gets called overrated.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by olapluto(m): 3:01am On Sep 07, 2013
After watching the 2, Olympus has fallen is BY FAR AHEAD
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by ideyvexnow: 3:43am On Sep 07, 2013
kimco: it not unique really, feels like airforce one on land. OHF is an action flick. No logic behind it atall. U think americans will risk the security for their president? America doesn't negotiate with terrorists. In real life, that president would die b4 the codes are given. That plane which destroyed the place would'nt have even made it that far b4 been shot down. The military special ops would be in the white hse b4 the saboteaurs can even blink, hard boiled militia soldiers giving out infos after torture, i mean what did u learn in the academy? These things are taught, u're a higly trained soldier for christ sakes. Also nobody takes cover, looks like the good guys move to receive the bullets in the abdomens, too obvious..... That's to mention a few.

The illogical reasoning in the movie made me not even finish it. I'm quite dissapointed with gerrard butler and morgan freeman partaking in this movie. Too much commando with this movie, a little realism won't kill us. It's a sad day when people are praising an action flick like we were in the 80s and it was the best thing since sliced bread, and brilliant movies like shutter island gets called overrated.

Mr Petty Perfectionist, please tell us how many movies you have acted or directed.

You seem to know everything and criticize other peoples good efforts.

There is a reason why these are just Movies. They were just made to entertain us and not to bore us with unnecessary realism.

please click like if you agree with me.

4 Likes

Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by ideyvexnow: 3:52am On Sep 07, 2013
I personally enjoyed both movies.

Olympus have Fallen has more action in the begining while White House Down have more action from the middle up to the end.

I particularly love the car chase between the presidential limo vs the presidential SUV in WHD. For me that was so cool.

The only minus in WHD is that Jamie fox didn't look very presidential.

My Scores are

Olympus have fallen = 90% Too much brutal action and no suspense.
White House Down = 90% Nice combination of brutal action and good suspense

I recommend both movies.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Michyeddy(f): 4:12am On Sep 07, 2013
Olympus has Fallen has all my votes...WHite house down..hmmm after watching django unchained,jamie foxx doesn't just have that Presidential swag around him..plus that his security guard guy...na only Lover guy part fit him for those who have watched The Vow.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Benedictegbon: 5:38am On Sep 07, 2013
The Answer is very simple. Olympus has fallen. It has more captivating action parts. Not the role of that small girl in White house down ,which was less likely to happen in such situation.
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Kulest08(m): 6:30am On Sep 07, 2013
biggy smalls: I dnt like white house down ,j.Fox was a little childish as the president, the fusion of humour even made it more annoying when viewers craved for action, Olympus has fallen was better !

1 Like

Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by HopeAtHand: 6:33am On Sep 07, 2013
I have not seen WHD,buh Olympus has fallen is better,shikina.

1 Like

Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by JosephCudjoe(m): 9:02am On Sep 07, 2013
drealnamdy: Lemmi check if my garri in d cupboard is stl remaining before I can place my opinion on which was the best...I heard d price has increased a bit buh Olympus has fallen gets pat on d back...awesom movie...white house down story line is just too fake angry
Ow wud u say so,dat means OHF also had a fake storyline,cos they wernt diff,d only difference was d plotting wich u ought 2 say was bad nd not d storyline
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by Morgan567(m): 9:47am On Sep 07, 2013
winkI am a script writer and movie critic and from a techincal and story angle, White house down is better. It has a story, a beginning and an end, nicely written. Olympus has fallen is cool too but no good story, just destruction shaaa. Got tired midway...
Re: Olympus Has Fallen Vs White House Down: Which Is Better? by kimco(m): 10:36am On Sep 07, 2013
ideyvexnow:

Mr Petty Perfectionist, please tell us how many movies you have acted or directed.

You seem to know everything and criticize other peoples good efforts.

There is a reason why these are just Movies. They were just made to entertain us and not to bore us with unnecessary realism.

please click like if you agree with me.

U know...i was seeing alot of praise for the movie...so i was eager to watch it. Looking for it like a mad man. Then i got it and was dissapointed. U think u have the right to praise it, then let others critisze it as well. Live and let live. Funny thing is that i've juxt highlighted everything that bodered me about it and all u jux did was say u liked it. I responded to the post that said it was unique....but we all know it isn't. And people shud stop using that lame excuse of have u done it b4 or can u do it. So because i haven't done it b4 i must accept mediocrity from people who shud do better? To whom much is given (producers) much is expected. Don't be a douche bag and jux say why u love it, dats all. the movie has the making of realism...yet it breaks all the rules. Even rambo 4 has more realism than this movie

i'm not perfectionist and i don't know everything. However i play the devil's advocate because everyone seems to ff the leader alot. It'll be a bore if we all agreed with each other...and as far as i'm concerned, the thread was made for a debate... And i'm providing one....so stop being a total A.s.s and provide ur counter argument, if u got one.

As for the other...i haven't seen it yet. So no comment.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

BBNaija: Chidi Mike To Give Erica N2M Cash After Disqualification / Tobi Bakre Wins AMVCA Best Actor In A Drama, Movie Or Tv Series / "Weed And Porn" T-shirt Worn By A 'Pastor' In A Yoruba Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.