Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,564 members, 7,955,091 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:41 PM

Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? (8487 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? / Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? / Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by YoshiMaster: 11:41pm On Sep 04, 2013
I was driving today in Lagos, and was held up in traffic. In every traffic jam I find myself in, I always try to analyze the situation to get down to the root cause.

The initial slow moving traffic on Lekki-Expressway while I was driving wasn't that bad, until of course some Nigerians started forming extra lanes to bypass the slow moving traffic, that would have dissipated on its own.

So now the 3 lane road was turned into a six lane road, that is not 4, not 5, but 6 lanes.

Why are Nigerians such psychos sometimes? Why can't some people just wait and not make a bad situation worse?

I even saw a police van taking the bush path which formed the sixth lane, all I could do was SMH.

Why can't we enforce simple law and order? Even in the small things like traffic. Its not like this requires huge amounts of money for infrastructure, its just a matter of the enforcers doing their work.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Nobody: 12:35am On Sep 05, 2013
Making laws is not Nigeria's problem but enforcing the laws. As you said the police even joined in the fracas, lol. The law enforcers are even law breakers.
Everything still points to the top of government.
If I were in the State government I would embrace Nigerians lawlessness since they have embraced psychosis. It is a good avenue to make money for the state. Break the law, pay a heavy fine, simple cool. I bet in the first year, I would make 200 billion naira. Yes we have that many indisciplined people in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by keyremotes(m): 1:05am On Sep 05, 2013
Driving in Lagos/Nigeria is madness.
Our driving does not conform to any known driving style IN THE WORLD.
ALWAYS AT WAR.
NO REGARD FOR THE MOST SIMPLE LAW THAT SAYS "GIVE WAY TO TRAFFIC ON YOUR LEFT".

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by YoshiMaster: 1:21am On Sep 05, 2013
stillwater: Making laws is not Nigeria's problem but enforcing the laws. As you said the police even joined in the fracas, lol. The law enforcers are even law breakers.
Everything still points to the top of government.
If I were in the State government I would embrace Nigerians lawlessness since they have embraced psychosis. It is a good avenue to make money for the state. Break the law, pay a heavy fine, simple cool. I bet in the first year, I would make 200 billion naira. Yes we have that many indisciplined people in Nigeria.

I do not doubt that at all, say 10 million citizens break laws in a month, each of them having to pay a fine of NGN10,000, that's already about 100 billion naira (hope my math is correct).

In the U.S, traffic cops are given quotas they must reach within a certain period. These quotas are for giving fines to traffic offenders. One might think that is cruel, but it is an inevitable fact that people would break traffic laws, and so the quotas help ensure that the traffic police is indeed doing their job.

I know being a governor or lead administrator is difficult, but when these same people drive through the chaos, can't they proffer solutions? The blueprint for traffic solutions has already been implemented by developed countries, so its not like we have to start from scratch in forming solutions for ourselves.

Funny enough while I was driving, I was just thinking that if I was a Police Officer, I would pull over so many people on Nigerian roads, most especially Danfo drivers.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by DisGuy: 1:27am On Sep 05, 2013
BECAUSE THERES NO ONE TO PUNISH THEM!!! hefty fines,
clamping and seizing their license would make people think twice!!

just imagine all those that formed extra lanes to bypass slow moving traffic were blocked off and made to stay extra 3hours
i doubt they wil do the same thing again so soon

there are many things that happen in the country that people dont see as bad because they dont get told off!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by DisGuy: 1:29am On Sep 05, 2013
when driving on a 2-3 lane road, for some weird reason, people try to drive in between you and the car on the next lane
even though theres no main advantage to it, they are not exactly getting anywhere fast as theres traffic ahead, and some darn right dont even drive in one single lane, they just hug the middle of the lane
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Standing5(m): 1:33am On Sep 05, 2013
Mr. OP, don?t you think you are already forming an extra lane here by opening this thread in politics sectiong?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by YoshiMaster: 1:38am On Sep 05, 2013
keyremotes: Driving in Lagos/Nigeria is madness.
Our driving does not conform to any known driving style IN THE WORLD.
ALWAYS AT WAR.
NO REGARD FOR THE MOST SIMPLE LAW THAT SAYS "GIVE WAY TO TRAFFIC ON YOUR LEFT".

"Always at War"

I don't know who most of these drivers on the road are fighting.

I was once on the line at the toll, with my car perfectly within the confines of my lane. Just before approaching the booth, another motorist started jostling for position with my car.

The height of all madness, is what I experienced that day. This dude just brazenly rammed his car into mine, I guess he was thinking that I would give way so as not to damage my car, but in that moment, I felt I had to defend my right and stay in my lane (as childish as that sounds), hence refusing him entry. Usually I would allow entry to cars that are already in front of mine, but this guy was side by side with me, the best thing a sane person would do when trying to enter someone else's lane in that situation would be to go in after me.

Anyway after the initial ramming, he kept going, that is, he just kept bashing my car, forcefully removing me from my lane. It got so bad that when I tried to swerve away, to give this mad man chance, I couldn't. Why? Because this lunatic had rammed his car tire into mine, sorta locking both of them.

I reached my boiling point when I looked over through my window to shout at the guy, and behold to my amazement, the guy had an emotionless face on him, while just looking forward, as if nothing was happening, and the bashing of my car was all in my head.

I just had to get out of my car and kick his ass, lol. I really can't say it any better, it was sweet ass kicking, the justified kind. Police had to come in, blah, blah, blah, at the end the mad man came to be apologizing, evidence of the obvious dual personality possessed by him.

It really is war on the roads, but as I said, I don't know who they are fighting.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by deeptesting(m): 1:41am On Sep 05, 2013
Dis Guy: BECAUSE THERES NO ONE TO PUNISH THEM!!! hefty fines,
clamping and seizing their license would make people think twice!!

just imagine all those that formed extra lanes to bypass slow moving traffic were blocked off and made to stay extra 3hours
i doubt they wil do the same thing again so soon

there are many things that happen in the country that people dont see as bad because they dont get told off!!

I am pretty sure Nigerians will call the government several names if your submission is implemented but the truth is that development comes with a price...Are we ready to pay that price as a people? I attended a seminar few months ago in Dubai though I have been to other western countries, I was perplexed by the level of progress the UAE has made and the people live by the laws governing the country....So I strongly believe that the Nigerian government and the people are responsible for the menace...

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by DisGuy: 1:54am On Sep 05, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

"Always at War"

I don't know who most of these drivers on the road are fighting.

I was once on the line at the toll, with my car perfectly within the confines of my lane. Just before approaching the booth, another motorist started jostling for position with my car.

The height of all madness, is what I experienced that day. This dude just brazenly rammed his car into mine, I guess he was thinking that I would give way so as not to damage my car, but in that moment, I felt I had to defend my right and stay in my lane (as childish as that sounds), hence refusing him entry. Usually I would allow entry to cars that are already in front of mine, but this guy was side by side with me, the best thing a sane person would do when trying to enter someone else's lane in that situation would be to go in after me.

Anyway after the initial ramming, he kept going, that is, he just kept bashing my car, forcefully removing me from my lane. It got so bad that when I tried to swerve away, to give this mad man chance, I couldn't. Why? Because this lunatic had rammed his car tire into mine, sorta locking both of them.

I reached my boiling point when I looked over through my window to shout at the guy, and behold to my amazement, the guy had an emotionless face on him, while just looking forward, as if nothing was happening, and the bashing of my car was all in my head.

I just had to get out of my car and kick his ass, lol. I really can't say it any better, it was sweet ass kicking, the justified kind. Police had to come in, blah, blah, blah, at the end the mad man came to be apologizing, evidence of the obvious dual personality possessed by him.

It really is war on the roads, but as I said, I don't know who they are fighting.

LMAOOOO zombie nation, was he an office dude or driver or just random car owner?

he might have just done 10hour shift at the office, with numbers,data,codes coming out of his ears- he was in dead zone and you were at the receiving end lol

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by DisGuy: 2:01am On Sep 05, 2013
deeptesting:

I am pretty sure Nigerians will call the government several names if your submission is implemented but the truth is that development comes with a price...Are we ready to pay that price as a people? I attended a seminar few months ago in Dubai though I have been to other western countries, I was perplexed by the level of progress the UAE has made and the people live by the laws governing the country....So I strongly believe that the Nigerian government and the people are responsible for the menace...

I was in Abuja late last year, i noticed theyve introduce parking restrictions in some parts of town-slowly but surely people are already 'thinking' before parking, parking well within acceptable limits and some look for alternatives if they dont want to pay

they can call govt all sort of names but if the government is sincere and the rules apply to everyone! Law abiding citizens will be the same people on the side of the govt and many will even beg the govt to introduce such policies to their area! a honest governemnt will go the extra mile to reinvest the accrued revenue to improving road transportation

many local govt in other parts of the world are also called names when these sort of policies are introduced but the people/residents actually at the receiving end of monster drivers,wayward drivers will defend the govt actions
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by 3ace(m): 10:02am On Sep 05, 2013
OP, I agree with you that this silly act can be annoying and sometimes frustrating. The huge blame is on the government for failing in its responsibility to effectively enforce laws as already observed by some people here. However, there are some categories of people you might want to exempt from this menace. I used to abuse any driver that overspeeds until I had an experience with a friend who was rushing to the hospital in his car when he heard that his son had been knocked down by a vehicle. The categories of people I'm referring to here are just people who might be involved in one emergency or the other. Agreed, doing act that could jeopardize their own safety is dangerous but you will agree with me that emergency situations can cause extreme amounts of physical and emotional stress making people to make irrational decisions. In as much as I believe that most Nigerians are always naturally disorderly with impunity on our roads, there are some who are affected by circumstances beyond their control.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by dridowu: 6:06pm On Sep 05, 2013
In my opinion , i think most we Nigerians lack orderliness, we like to jump the queue, which is bad, even here on nairaland we jump the queue by using dot to book space just because we want to be on the frontpage of a thread******** i also use dot to keep space*******mouth sealed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 05, 2013
Its because Nigeria is a country in the END TIMES. So everybody is rushing to avoid damnation. Next time you see them, please tell them that we are in the END TIMES.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Shaadey: 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
Na so e dey na no reason
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by buchito1(m): 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
cause na im sure pass nd its d fastest way of beating traffic.... Dats all.....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Demallcrazy(m): 6:10pm On Sep 05, 2013
E.T.T ni undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 05, 2013
Because we think it gets us there faster, then it ends up slowing us down.

That police van may have had an emergency you don't know about o
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Ghydyon(m): 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
are u learner? Are u new in lasigi? I guess u r carried away wit d end time tinz
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
Nigerians form extra lanes during slow traffic Because they don't want END TIMEZ to meet them on the road but @ their various homes/destinations...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by segzyj(m): 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
Its so Simple... An average Nigerians is always in haste .....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
I have no idea! Very annoying
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by TVTKOKO(m): 6:13pm On Sep 05, 2013
Didn't bother to read but the answer is impatience which can happen anywhere there is traffic congestion in the world. So it's nt only in nigeria
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by juman(m): 6:14pm On Sep 05, 2013
nigeria is a lawless country. One nigeria is the problem..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by skiesoduah: 6:15pm On Sep 05, 2013
Because Nigerians are impatient home and abroad. That's why they do all sort of evil and commits all sort of crimes.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by 80million1: 6:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
Let me prepare a ROBUST REPLY!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by juman(m): 6:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
TVT KOKO: Didn't bother to read but the answer is impatience which can happen anywhere there is traffic congestion in the world . So it's nt only in nigeria

You are funny die. Not everywhere in the world senselessness happens.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by drajjay: 6:23pm On Sep 05, 2013
end time tinz
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 05, 2013
TVT KOKO: Didn't bother to read but the answer is impatience which can happen anywhere there is traffic congestion in the world. So it's nt only in nigeria
Not to this extent, Nigeria is in a league of its own when it comes to senselessness!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by Sagamite(m): 6:30pm On Sep 05, 2013
Because their environment of being run by fucktards, and with many cretins in public positions and civil service, they have developed lack of trust in the authorities resolving issues and making their lives easier, so they DIY.

And the thing there is that if everyone is DIYing, rather than a centralised system resovling problems, if you are not quick with your DIY you will suffer. You will be the one ending up being 3 hours in traffic for a 30 min journey. The ones that want to play SU would spend 6 hours in traffic.

A person leadership that cannot build traffic lights, ensure road surfaces are smooth and reliable, create police force/road inspectors that ensure faulty cars are towed away asap, cannot ensure cars on the road are reliable and roadworthy, cannot stop police officers from stopping traffic to collect bribe, cannot provide alternative transport systems to decongest roads (e.g. trains, monorail, cables, ferry etc) and cannot enforce its own road laws is not a leadership for people to wait for to resolve issues.

I don't blame them that much.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by jomarick(m): 6:32pm On Sep 05, 2013
Nigerian are desperate people
Re: Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? by free2ryhme: 6:32pm On Sep 05, 2013
U've answered it nigerians are such psychos esp d educated illiterates and danfo bus drivers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Diagnose Alternator Problems / List Out Functions You'll Want New Cars To Have. / Which Is Better, Daihatsu Hijet Or Suzuki Every?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.