Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,804 members, 7,956,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:58 PM

Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties (34523 Views)

Caption This Female Hairstyle / Nigerian Female Celebrities Wearing Native Outfits ( Photos ) / (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Crixina(f): 1:11am On Sep 06, 2013
Tayeni: saw a picture of Chimamanda Adichie's. I liked d hair she was wearing.....very African and natural yet fashionable.....told my lady to make it too........for where!!!
how old is that chick(chiimamanda)anyway?
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Nobody: 1:12am On Sep 06, 2013
ThaProphet: Actually you are right...there are some that grow downwards. Does yours have to reach a certain length before dropping down or it just grows straight down? Completely right about the natural hair shift. From where I am as well, more ladies are beginning to rock the hair that freely grows on their heads.

Actually the minute mine passes a few inches it starts to grow downward which really suck to me..but its just part of the beautiful diversity of our natural hair..u can do anything with it, i think its muy awesome.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by ThaProphet(m): 1:31am On Sep 06, 2013
Ah...I see. Guess you can't rock the fro then but it definately does not suck. I'm sure it looks great. Like you said, just got to embrace the diversity. smiley

caribchic:

Actually the minute mine passes a few inches it starts to grow downward which really suck to me..but its just part of the beautiful diversity of our natural hair..u can do anything with it, i think its muy awesome.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by billyG(m): 1:57am On Sep 06, 2013
Good African style but d problem with dis hairsytle is that it causes pain,headache & sleepless night.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by laplace19(m): 2:22am On Sep 06, 2013
Eeemmmm!! The hairstyles fine ooo,but as for you guys,na una babe/wife go first fix am and upload the pictures for here before I go reason my babe to do same...

Wayo people grin grin
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by lolaluv1(f): 2:25am On Sep 06, 2013
shymexx:

That's an unfair comparison.

How about let's compare Beyonce to either Esperanza Spalding or Erykah Badu?

I definitely would pick both over Beyonce everyday of the week.

Erykah Badu batty alone is enough!

Is it unfair? It's a comparison of polar opposites, as in different types and definitions of beauty...
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:53am On Sep 06, 2013
I love my black hair to bits but those hairstyles naw...how will I sleep? I love the way Jodie rocked hers in the 'Kuchi-Kuchi music video.

Will send mine soonest.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by armyofone(m): 5:03am On Sep 06, 2013
Looks good but must be really painful having those stuff on one's head.
I love my Senegalese twist above all.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by whytnblack: 7:17am On Sep 06, 2013
miky: So beautiful.. What's the essence of going for these confused women with hair from another lady.. Are you saying yours is not beautiful or elegant enough? A mindset like that is poisonous.. Rather be with a Brazilian chick European chick or lady who appreciates her own beauty..

Gbam!!!
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by jantavanta(m): 7:45am On Sep 06, 2013
Very beautiful. The same thing being done to Black women in the U.S.A. is happening in Africa. They are made to permanently relax their hair at all costs, to be seen as 'professional' or having 'good appearance'.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Nobody: 8:07am On Sep 06, 2013
scipher: Days when virgins full ground.. you go see omoluabi marry cry
Virgin no deflower themselves o, na we men deflower dem
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by niggi4life(m): 8:33am On Sep 06, 2013
Harmvirus: Hmm..nice..buh women dn tear eye..
How about this hairstyle?
wtf
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by hiteelong(f): 9:10am On Sep 06, 2013
Our guys are so confuse!!!!! Its the same guy that complain that they can't marry a woman not 'tu.sh' and u we wonder if dey really know what dey want.....Most guys don't have a hand work like of fathers in those days, most guys can't do without taking a woman to bed without marriage to mention a few of their problems
The fault is not ours alone but urs as well!!!
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 06, 2013
Hoodrat:

Dear mojisola most of what you wrote are based on the kind of society you live in and all this are mindset of people who arent sub cautious neither were they comfortable with the beauty they possessed Hence the need to stress the eurocentric agenda into the mind of the young african souls. To back it up i am an afrocentric and to an african like me theres nothing more beautiful and fulfilling than a natural looking black women. We have the best hair and beautiful skin to be proud of.

Where i live in europe you need to see the rate which white people go to suntan and spend all their week just to get a 2% of the skin our men and women trying to bleach off. Nothing more disgusting than Seeing a black women with the garbage or rag called weavon/wig is like justifying slavery and humiliation of my people. I personally believe trying to change your appearance to be who you are not because of the society you live in is lack of self worth, self hate which qualify you as a living robot and twice as stupid, evil as the society that made you hate yourself. At the end of the day everybody wants someone who appreciate his/her own beauty so to me it makes a zero sense trying to be someone you are not.

Much kudos.

I hate weaves & wigs, as in I cannot stand them, but that's just me. And it has nothing to do with me being natural. Even way back when I was relaxed, I hated them and never wore them. Every female out there is different; to each her own. When I went natural, I didn't transition, I just cut off all my hair and was close to being bald. Didn't feel the need to get a wig, like some might opt for. But I know people who go natural without transitioning handle it in different ways and that's okay. Whatever makes one comfortable. Next month will make my 6th year of being natural, so I've got my own head of hair. Anyway, it's refreshing to read this from a black man. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 06, 2013
ferhyntorlah:

Sister, hi five to you. We need to embrace some of these forgotten styles at times.

I'm wearing my threading hairstyle for some days now; I just wanted to try something different.

My next threading style is to use wool for knitting as thread esp. the coloured one(dull colour-brown).

PS: when next you do yours, include your hair band with bow to "ROCK" the style.

Totally agree, we do.

The wool threading style you're referring to ....do you mean yarn twists/yarn braids? I love yarn twists/braids! I've done them before, multiple times. Sometimes I twist them, other times I braid them. I do them myself. I've never used brown yarn/wool though, but black. I've seen one person with brown; it's a great colour. Make sure it's 100% acrylic wool/yarn. Bet you'll look awesome. smiley
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by temisukanmi(f): 11:09am On Sep 06, 2013
kreami diva: I'm making one of them one of these days. Someone needs to re-introduce it. tongue

Meanwhile,all these guys wey dey this thread dey talk anyhow will go after a lady with brazilian hair and call anyone wearing these other hairstyles mgbeke or village girl. If u guys like it,ask your girlfriends to make it make we see wetin go happen kiss
tell dem... Thank you jawe
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Miraclebaby1109: 3:39pm On Sep 06, 2013
These one nah forehead them go use sleep at nights, Nawa oooo
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by tombeh(m): 3:44pm On Sep 06, 2013
can i see the modem type.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by adamooye5(m): 4:43pm On Sep 06, 2013
See mine during sixties.

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Sanbuchi: 5:57pm On Sep 06, 2013
Aw u take fine reach 1st
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Hoodrat(m): 10:15pm On Sep 06, 2013
Yield:

Much kudos.

I hate weaves & wigs, as in I cannot stand them, but that's just me. And it has nothing to do with me being natural. Even way back when I was relaxed, I hated them and never wore them. Every female out there is different; to each her own. When I went natural, I didn't transition, I just cut off all my hair and was close to being bald. Didn't feel the need to get a wig, like some might opt for. But I know people who go natural without transitioning handle it in different ways and that's okay. Whatever makes one comfortable. Next month will make my 6th year of being natural, so I've got my own head of hair. Anyway, it's refreshing to read this from a black man. Thank you.

I'm so happy to hear this from a inteligent black woman,i cant thank you enough for what you are doing to yourself and your ancestors right now but am certain all your problem were already solved since the day you decided to embrace the natural order of life.Right now what you are doing to yourself,your body goes a long way into your future and no regret but LOVE peace of mind and eternal joy at the end. Thank you again beautiful african queen. Please do me this favour each time you look in the mirrior always say it loud and clear to yourself I AM BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFULLY MADE,I'M PROUD AFRICAN I AM NOT ASHAME TO BE WHO I AM.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by joanpinkie(f): 4:48am On Sep 07, 2013
Shut up all dese small small boys complaining. Go and get a job and take care of ur woman. Everything has its season. Can u go bck to short which is cheaper because it looked wonderful on ur fourfathers? Or wear apoola shoe because ur fourfathers rocked it. Abegi!!
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by joanpinkie(f): 5:01am On Sep 07, 2013
ferhyntorlah:

Sister, hi five to you. We need to embrace some of these forgotten styles at times.

I'm wearing my threading hairstyle for some days now; I just wanted to try something different.

My next threading style is to use wool for knitting as thread esp. the coloured one(dull colour-brown).

PS: when next you do yours, include your hair band with bow to "ROCK" the style.

SMH, Mtchwwww
Please swt ladies in d house does anyone knw how much I can get a 32 inches NAkED BRAZILLIAN? I wona rock it dis wkend and probably tint it purple.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by nickchux(m): 11:02am On Sep 07, 2013
kreami diva: I'm making one of them one of these days. Someone needs to re-introduce it. tongue

Meanwhile,all these guys wey dey this thread dey talk anyhow will go after a lady with brazilian hair and call anyone wearing these other hairstyles mgbeke or village girl. If u guys like it,ask your girlfriends to make it make we see wetin go happen kiss

Na wetin my girlfriend make and I luv her like mad........ She too fine with dat hair style
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:56pm On Sep 08, 2013
Yield:

Totally agree, we do.

The wool threading style you're referring to ....do you mean yarn twists/yarn braids? I love yarn twists/braids! I've done them before, multiple times. Sometimes I twist them, other times I braid them. I do them myself. I've never used brown yarn/wool though, but black. I've seen one person with brown; it's a great colour. Make sure it's 100% acrylic wool/yarn. Bet you'll look awesome. smiley

Thanks for the tip! grin
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:00pm On Sep 08, 2013
joanpinkie:
SMH, Mtchwwww
Please swt ladies in d house does anyone knw how much I can get a 32 inches NAkED BRAZILLIAN? I wona rock it dis wkend and probably tint it purple.

Hehehehehehehehe
Whatever rocks your boat.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by jantavanta(m): 2:48pm On Sep 09, 2013
The pictures are marvelous. They come from an era when African Women were Women. Now, they are "Ladies" and have been stripped of their Womanhood, with the support of we Men who see 'sophistication' in relaxing hair and brazillian hair.

Who sang: "If you call African Woman, Woman; She go say I no be Woman; She go say I be Lady O!" ?
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by robosky02(m): 10:30pm On Jul 04, 2014
ok
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by chigoizie7(m): 9:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
kreamidiva:
I'm making one of them one of these days. Someone needs to re-introduce it. tongue

i ve begged mine to do normal plaiting or weaving cos all those weave de scratch scratch me, buh she no gree, she talk say no be only guys woneb de look good for,say dem de compete wiv oda gurlz, so silly.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by jbblues24(m): 6:34pm On Jun 01, 2019
Red. How do you make this? Photoshop? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Neurite Mendes Wins Miss Africa 2016 In Calabar / Who Started This Trend In Naija? / 5 Fashion Trends Any Girl Who Grew Up In The 90s Probably Rocked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.