Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses (1209 Views)

German Firm To Partner Katstina State In Construction Of 125mw Solar Plant. / Tony Elumelu's Tweet On Fashola's Appointment / Chinese Firm To Run 4 Nigerian Airports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by awodman: 1:04pm On Sep 05, 2013
The Federal Government on Wednesday signed a
Memorandum of Understanding with a private firm, African Exchange Holdings, to build 800 warehouses across the country to mitigate post-harvest losses suffered by farmers.

It regretted that about 40 per cent of farm produce were
being wasted each harvest year, hence the need for the
construction of the warehouses from October.

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr.
Akinwunmi Adesina, who spoke during the event in Abuja,said the warehouses would be built in each local
government area, where small-scale farmers would store
their produce.

Adesina explained that although the government had built silos across the country for storage of farm produce, they were for large-scale storage and not useful to small-scale farmers.

“Nigeria has lost huge sums of money to post-harvest
wastages and losses due to the inability of farmers to store their produce during harvest. You can’t trade poverty, but you can trade wealth, that is why President Goodluck Jonathan, in his Transformation Agenda on Agriculture, is doing everything possible to make wealth through agribusiness,” he said.

Adesina, who extolled the business acumen of the
Chairman, AFEX Holdings, Mr. Tony Elumelu, and other
partners in the warehousing project, said strengthening of the agricultural markets was critical to diversifying the
country’s economy.

“Our partnership with AFEX will help to improve the access of farmers to markets, reduce post-harvest losses, stabilise prices and raise their incomes. We are rapidly modernising agriculture in Nigeria and the development of the warehouse receipt systems will underpin the successful establishment of thriving agricultural commodities exchange in Nigeria,” the minister said.

Elumelu, while thanking the minister for cooperating with
AFEX in ensuring that farmers get the right pay for their
sweat, said he was pleased with the Federal Government
for delivering sustainable investment in the country’s
agribusiness sector.

According to him, the initiative is a step towards financially empowering more farmers and ensuring that agriculture is not only commercially viable, but has a positive contribution to the Nigerian economy.

The Director-General, Bureau of Public Enterprise, Mr.
Benjamin Dikki, stated that ceding some Federal
Government’s warehouses for agriculture purpose would
enhance the performance of farmers, as well as combat the food insecurity in the country.

Sources:www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/post-harvest-losses-fg-firm-to-build-800-warehouses/
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Kanwulia: 6:50pm On Sep 05, 2013
The rich getting richer, the poor dying poorer!!!!!

I don wake o! cool
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 05, 2013
does this guy know anything about farming? Well I would comment about this in 2yrs time. I don't want to be a spoiler.

1 Like

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by taharqa: 8:23pm On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli: does this guy know anything about farming? Well I would comment about this in 2yrs time. I don't want to be a spoiler.
double
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by taharqa: 8:24pm On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli: does this guy know anything about farming? Well I would comment about this in 2yrs time. I don't want to be a spoiler.
Why are you almost always exhibiting stark IGNORANCE anytime you type a thought here?? And doing so with Confidence?

3 Likes

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by adino(m): 9:26pm On Sep 05, 2013
taharqa: Why are you almost always exhibiting stark IGNORANCE anytime you type a thought here?? And doing so with Confidence?

Her foolish confidence baffles me

1 Like

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by awodman: 11:25pm On Sep 05, 2013
You guys should pls spare Obiagelli...Obviously Sнε doesn't know the role good storage facilities play in agriculture especially in this case where each of the 774 LGA's will host @ least one warehouse...
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by solomon111(m): 1:10am On Sep 06, 2013
you are comparing your biased little self to someone who has worked at the highest level of agricultural organization in the world.
It seems you're as stupidd as they say.
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by ujoinme: 1:18am On Sep 06, 2013
While this might be a good project in principle, Am more interested on the operational capacity of this so called warehouses? will it be built like a process facility with capability of temperature regulation and crop preservation capabilities to prolong shelf life of crops or will it be just another ordinary warehouse where crops are stored at room temperature which will not be different from the stores where the farmers keep the goods themselves?

If its going to be a hitech warehouse who is AFEX technical partners and whats their pedigree? wouldnt it have been better to contract such projects to companies who have pedigree in the construction of such projects? anyone in the know pls respond!
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Realdeals(m): 7:44am On Sep 06, 2013
There is need for an assessment of each L.G dis will give them fore knowledge about the crop in d area and the type of storage facilities they require, they shouldn't build a silo where barns are needed,
meanwhile Are you a farmer, Agricultural researchers, commodities trader, consultant, agricultural policy maker or passionate about food? Let your voice be heard in the Agriculture Industry, register on the online Agriculture community at http://www. and explore the wide range of opportunities in the Agric value chain
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by taharqa: 12:14pm On Sep 06, 2013
awodman: You guys should pls spare Obiagelli...Obviously Sнε doesn't know the role good storage facilities play in agriculture especially in this case where each of the 774 LGA's will host @ least one warehouse...
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 06, 2013
YOU ALL CAN SAY WHAT YOU LIKE BUT WE WOULD ASSESS THIS TOPIC IN 2yrs time.

1 Like

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 06, 2013
solomon111: you are comparing your biased little self to someone who has worked at the highest level of agricultural organization in the world.
It seems you're as stupidd as they say.
becos you see an F in front of my name makes less huh? Anyways this is a faceless forum

2 Likes

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 06, 2013
taharqa: Why are you almost always exhibiting stark IGNORANCE anytime you type a thought here?? And doing so with Confidence?
in a few months we would know who is ignorant, agric is my specialty bro.

1 Like

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 08, 2014
taharqa:
Why are you almost always exhibiting stark IGNORANCE anytime you type a thought here?? And doing so with Confidence?

Taharqa where are the warehouses?

3 Likes

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 08, 2014
taharqa:

Who is ignorant today?

2 Likes

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 08, 2014
Somebody call taharqa for me.
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 08, 2014
Obiagelli:
Somebody call taharqa for me.
Lolz! You have been vindicated. grin grin grin
You see the manner at which the rats attacked you? Now they have all been shamed.
Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 08, 2014
berem:
Lolz! You have been vindicated. grin grin grin
You see the manner at which the rats attacked you? Now they have all been shamed.

cheesy cheesy i told them i will bookmark this thread, this is the 3rd time in am calling taharqa, he has refused to show.

1 Like

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 08, 2014
Obiagelli:

cheesy cheesy i told them i will bookmark this thread, this is the 3rd time in am calling taharqa, he has refused to show.
of course he won't show up. The fool is good at throwing insults without making meaningful contribution to any topic. Shame on him!

God bless you jare!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Post-harvest Losses: Fg,elumelu's Firm To Build 800 Warehouses by SkinnyDude(m): 9:43am On Jan 11, 2015
lol. this is 2015.

*just watching

(1) (Reply)

Federal Min. Of Education; Nationwide Massive Lecturer Recruitment. / US Set To Wipe Boko Haram / New Automative Policy On Course: Senate Inspects Stallion Auto Plant In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.